Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Selda album loving rules. Who did the reissue? Finders Keepers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ballz posted:

The Selda album loving rules. Who did the reissue? Finders Keepers?

Yep. And it does indeed rule!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

There's a vinyl sale happening on the Best Buy website right now. $35 order total gets you free shipping.

I'm sapped after my recent vacation, but I thought $10.99 was too good a price to pass up on for 36 Chambers.

My wallet hates you, but thanks! Free shipping made it a great deal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found a promotional copy of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for really cheap and I couldn't resist. This is apparently the original inner sleeve.

Yes, I have a crappy camera.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
My original UK copy of Meddle still has the original inner sleeve, it's pretty cool

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Found a promotional copy of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for really cheap and I couldn't resist. This is apparently the original inner sleeve.

Yes, I have a crappy camera.

That's just a regular Atco inner. I have a couple with the same one.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
One of my favorite inner sleeves is the one for Yo La Tengo's "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One" LP, with all the fake Matador bands:

Also, that White Noise record is loving great. I didn't know much about it before I got it, but it's kind of blowing my mind. One of the first bands to fuse rock and electronic sounds (it was released in 1969), the a-side is mostly eccentric psych pop, while the b-side is a rather terrifying foray into weird electro-oscillations and blood-curdling screams. Highly recommended if you haven't heard it and it sounds like your "thing."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Picked up a Peggy Lee while crate digging, came home to find my Best Buy sale arrived.

They go pretty well together, I think. :v:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I picked up the new Ty Segall album this week. It's amazing and I got one of the randomly inserted red vinyl ones which is neat.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ugh, thanks for my Shaolin frisbee Best Buy.

Edit: I've called twice now and I keep being disconnected.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 31, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Crap I haven't opened my copy yet. That's pretty egregious I hope mine is OK. :ohdear:

My Madlib Shades of Blue is fine, at least

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I got ahold of someone on the 3rd try. They're sending a replacement.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Man, got some great finds today at End of an Ear in Austin. Popol Vuh reissue, The Dead C, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Ornette Coleman, and early Kraftwerk.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I got ahold of someone on the 3rd try. They're sending a replacement.

That's good, hopefully you won't have any more issues. Listening to my copy now, it's a-ok.

:dance: Clan in da front, let your feet stomp. :dance:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Considering that a copy recently sold as a BIN for $25, I'd say that $12.99 is a fair price for this 1980 reissue of Suicide's debut LP. This issue originally came with a flexi 7"; the seller doesn't mention it, which obviously may mean that it's missing, but it may be worth asking about it, too, in case the seller didn't see it in the jacket or something.

e: A copy w/ the flexi recently auctioned for $35, so if it has the flexi, it'd be a really good deal!
SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 1, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wronkos posted:

Man, got some great finds today at End of an Ear in Austin. Popol Vuh reissue, The Dead C, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Ornette Coleman, and early Kraftwerk.

Ralf und Florian may very well be my favorite Kraftwerk album, it is some wild synthesizer landscape poo poo. I got mine in Austin as well, a lucky find at a Half-Price Books, about five minutes after the clerk put it on the rack. Turned out the clerk in question (who then ran the register) was originally from Dusseldorf. I need to hit up End of an Ear, I don't actually know what part of town it's in (though google can help with that, obv.)

plowhound
Oct 12, 2012
I need a little help with info on a couple of records I got this weekend. Both of them are early Black Sabbath. One is their first self titled album and the other is Paranoid. The cool thing is they are south korean bootlegs. I can't find very much about them online. I only paid a dollar each.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

plowhound posted:

I need a little help with info on a couple of records I got this weekend. Both of them are early Black Sabbath. One is their first self titled album and the other is Paranoid. The cool thing is they are south korean bootlegs. I can't find very much about them online. I only paid a dollar each.

Are you sure they're bootlegs?

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Ralf und Florian may very well be my favorite Kraftwerk album, it is some wild synthesizer landscape poo poo. I got mine in Austin as well, a lucky find at a Half-Price Books, about five minutes after the clerk put it on the rack. Turned out the clerk in question (who then ran the register) was originally from Dusseldorf. I need to hit up End of an Ear, I don't actually know what part of town it's in (though google can help with that, obv.)

It's on 1st somewhere, and honestly I felt like it had a better selection than Waterloo. Less records, but better quality.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is a fairly interesting read:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ds-9695409.html

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Considering the last copies have sold for $24.99 + shipping and $36.55 + shipping, I'd say that $20 w/ free shipping is an excellent deal for this copy of Les Savy Fav's "Go Forth" LP.

I actually want to buy this one myself, but alas, I've already exceeded my recent record budget. :(

That is interesting. Thanks!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Indeed it is, although it would've been nice for it to explore the boom similarly going on with second-hand shops. I'm genuinely curious how many people are exploring older LPs for the first time or revisiting "classics" on vinyl. While the factories are struggling to maintain demand of new records, there are a growing number of stores that offer tons and tons of existing vinyl, often for dirt cheap prices.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Allen Wren posted:

End of an Ear is great. It's on 1st by Oltorff. I love Waterloo, but End of an Ear will often have stuff that Waterloo does not, particularly metal and punk rock. Wish I still lived in that area. El Paso has one (ONE!) record store and it is decent but insanely overpriced as most monopolies are. As someone who lived in Chicago prior to living in the Austin area, moving here has been a culture shock to say the least.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Ballz posted:

there are a growing number of stores that offer tons and tons of existing vinyl, often for dirt cheap prices.

Most of the stores here have cottoned on to the fad and are premium pricing everything accordingly. Even goodwill are starting to get cheeky. The ones that have maintained sensible pricing are the independent record stores that never closed from the original reign of vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I just got these in the mail today:

It was pretty awesome to see them show up on the same day.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
A big annual garage sale this weekend had 50+ military marching band type records for 50 cents each. Some standard US stuff but a lot of seemingly obscure UK regiments albums. I usually only buy stuff I want to listen to but was I dumb to pass on those? I had no idea how to value them besides looking them up individually on discogs and I wasn't going to sit there for an hour tapping on my phone.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cpt.Wacky posted:

A big annual garage sale this weekend had 50+ military marching band type records for 50 cents each. Some standard US stuff but a lot of seemingly obscure UK regiments albums. I usually only buy stuff I want to listen to but was I dumb to pass on those? I had no idea how to value them besides looking them up individually on discogs and I wasn't going to sit there for an hour tapping on my phone.

Probably not, no.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It was pretty awesome to see them show up on the same day.
My Beyond the Black Rainbow's been sitting in a post office over the holiday weekend and I'm so, so furious about it. Says it won't even be here until next Tuesday, guaranteeing I stare at my doorstep and frown every day for the next seven days.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Does anyone have any recomendations for places to sell vinyl in Austin? I tried Half Price Books, but the offer they gave me was comically awful.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the only way you're going to feel like you extracted value from the sale is to sell them yourself on craigslist, discogs, etc

every store ever is going to lowball you because they have to turn around and sell it to some floppy haired freshman and need to make a return

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
^^ Yerp. My usual advice is to take any records worth above some value you determine as to be worth the packaging and shipping hassle and sell them off set sale / ebay / whatever. Anything else you take to a local shop and take it in the rear end for whatever pennies on the dollar you payed. If you have big pieces and don't want to deal with shipping then talk to your local shop about doing stuff on consignment. (I've bought 45s from Friends of Sound in Austin and they seemed okay, maybe hit them up.) HPB offers are straight up jokes, though. I wouldn't expect a big offer from bin filler LPs, though, wherever you go.

B&W jazz arrivals only.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

daspope posted:

Does anyone have any recomendations for places to sell vinyl in Austin? I tried Half Price Books, but the offer they gave me was comically awful.

Yeah they're bad. My friend co-owns Breakaway on North Loop, I don't know if I get a better deal since we are friends but he does alright enough that it's not worth my time to sell poo poo online in my opinion.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

"The Lonesome Crowded West" is finally getting a re-release! And it's only $22! And the same for "This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About".

http://store.glacialpace.com/collections/new/

They also have a pack which gets you "Sad Sappy Sucker", "The Fruit That Ate Itself" EP, and both of those for $70. This is good news to wake up to, "The Lonesome Crowded West" was one of those albums I've always wanted and never thought I'd have as the original vinyl copies are so expensive. Isaac always talked about doing a reissue but they don't call the label Glacial Pace for nothing.

Seems there are also two 7"s with a couple of unreleased tracks from that era too.

Happy Modest Mouse news.

Edit: now rerelease the Ugly Casanova album Brock.

VV Oh yeah $14 is CD, $22 is vinyl, edited to correct that. I'd ordered the bundle so checking the individual prices was an afterthought.

shmee fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 4, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Looks like the albums are $14 on CD, but $22 on vinyl. Not a horrible price for a nice reissue, though. I loving love both of those first two albums (haven't heard the two others in the bundle), so I'll definitely make sure to preorder them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That's a really nice surprise. Had kind of given up on Lonesome Crowded West.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a really nice surprise. Had kind of given up on Lonesome Crowded West.

Yeah me too, didn't Isaac say they'd lost the masters a while ago or something?

abraham linksys posted:

Looks like the albums are $14 on CD, but $22 on vinyl. Not a horrible price for a nice reissue, though. I loving love both of those first two albums (haven't heard the two others in the bundle), so I'll definitely make sure to preorder them.

Oh you're right, I'll edit my post.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every once in awhile, just for a chuckle I check Discogs for how much Devil Doll vinyl is going for and I laugh and laugh and laugh.

If only I had $500 just lying around in little piles.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

caligulamprey posted:

Every once in awhile, just for a chuckle I check Discogs for how much Devil Doll vinyl is going for and I laugh and laugh and laugh.

If only I had $500 just lying around in little piles.

I finally had to remove Beck's Sea Change from my wantlist, because I got depressed seeing new listings (or the same ones repeated over and over again) for $300 everyday. :chillpill:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

iluvpr0n posted:

I finally had to remove Beck's Sea Change from my wantlist, because I got depressed seeing new listings (or the same ones repeated over and over again) for $300 everyday. :chillpill:

I bought an MFSL copy off a guy in SA Mart for like $30.. Discogs has it for $222+ .. Whoa. No idea this was so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

shmee posted:

"The Lonesome Crowded West" is finally getting a re-release! And it's only $22!

This is great news! I wonder how the sound quality will be. I frankly don't think the OG sounds all that great; definitely no better than the CD, and maybe even worse.