Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
drums

e: oh perfect. one word post starts the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iluvpr0n posted:

Amazing. All reissues should come with modified artwork like this.

Odelay comes with one and it's pretty good

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This Clone Wars record is really cool and surprising. Glady Disney reminded me it was the vinyl edition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Clone Wars music is pretty awful, though.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I feel bad that the vinyl is now sold out now (just recently got mine) but if you like Dinosaur Jr., heavier moments of Flaming Lips or Sparklehorse these guys are worth checking out. Very distorted and fuzzed out, but beautiful.

http://ovlov.bandcamp.com/album/am

A single that shouldn't be missed if you like them and 7" still available:
http://ovlov.bandcamp.com/track/the-great-crocodile

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know whether to put this in the indie, the house/electro/synth thread, or here but italian do it better have limited edt prints of albums on clear vinyl. http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

incoherent posted:

I don't know whether to put this in the indie, the house/electro/synth thread, or here but italian do it better have limited edt prints of albums on clear vinyl. http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

Is the run from the sun just demos and additional tracks form the Kill For Love sessions? Any good?

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Fors Yard posted:

I feel bad that the vinyl is now sold out now (just recently got mine) but if you like Dinosaur Jr., heavier moments of Flaming Lips or Sparklehorse these guys are worth checking out. Very distorted and fuzzed out, but beautiful.

http://ovlov.bandcamp.com/album/am

A single that shouldn't be missed if you like them and 7" still available:
http://ovlov.bandcamp.com/track/the-great-crocodile

Thanks for sharing this. Very fuzzy shoegaze. Too bad it's being flipped for $80 on discogs at the moment.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Peacebone posted:

Is the run from the sun just demos and additional tracks form the Kill For Love sessions? Any good?

I'd pick it up for the rarity. You can listen to the songs on johnny jewels soundcloud. Blue moon, the classic jazz standard, is amazing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crappy photo from a crappy camera, but recent finds.

L.A. (Light Album), Shut Down Volume 2, Fragile and I keep buying hammy Wakeman solo work and he's the hammiest ham to ever ham on the picture in the gatefold.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I keep buying hammy Wakeman solo work and he's the hammiest ham to ever ham on the picture in the gatefold.

They can't all be Journey, though I can sympathise having been through the same thing. Think I have about 4 copies of King Arthur.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Look at that loving haircut.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Scored a couple of great haircut albums from goodwill for a buck a piece the other day too!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Need to get a new cartridge for one of my turntables. Are the recommendations in the OP still the gold standard or does anyone have any other choices? I was leaning toward the Shure M97xE, but if there's something out there that's cheaper but still decent from an audiophile perspective I'd love to know more.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Elrobot posted:

Scored a couple of great haircut albums from goodwill for a buck a piece the other day too!

If that Gun Club record is even remotely playable that's a hell of a steal.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ballz posted:

Need to get a new cartridge for one of my turntables. Are the recommendations in the OP still the gold standard or does anyone have any other choices? I was leaning toward the Shure M97xE, but if there's something out there that's cheaper but still decent from an audiophile perspective I'd love to know more.

Audio Technica also makes some decent carts at various price points. I'm happy with my M97xe, I got a JICO SAS stylus for it last Christmas and it's fantastic.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

TubeStank posted:

If that Gun Club record is even remotely playable that's a hell of a steal.

Thanks, I was stoked to find it. Without a proper cleaning there was a small scratch on the first song of the first side, everything else sounded fine. I've bought a few of the reissues of their albums but didn't have this one, so it was extra sweet finding an original pressing for a buck.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got a couple things over the past week.

My vinyl first single. Hull's Legend of the Swamp Goat.

The backside.

Fancy green vinyl.

And they were cool enough to throw in a sticker and a patch.

Up next is the self-titled debut by Myrkur, a Danish one-woman black metal act.

The other side.

Silver on this one.

And then there came this.

The reverse.

The lyrics.

The thanks.

As white as the grubs feeding on your corpse.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

Fuuuuuuck Symbolic is my favorite Death album and that white looks so good. The other records definitely look interesting as well.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Detective Thompson posted:

Well that confirms I'll be buying this come January.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
One of my local stores (Time Traveler Records in Cuyahoga Falls, OH) is closing its doors due to being evicted for not paying several months' rent. Everything but new releases are 40% off.

I wound up with a few things that I only got BECAUSE they were on sale, but found a few gems as well:

They Might Be Giants - Flood (RSD)
David Bowie - Nothin' But A Star
Blondie - The Hunter
The Big Lebowski (RSD)
Wham! - Fantastic
Rolling Stones - Undercover
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
Limahl - Don't Suppose
The Mamas & The Papas - Farewell To The First Golden Era

My copy of Lebowski is mispressed. The first two tracks on side A have a swath where it looks double-pressed, resulting in nasty static. It's listenable, but annoying.

Flood is a beautiful transparent green that looks better in person.

Nothin' But A Star is a limited (1000 copies) French bootleg of an '83 concert in Frankfurt. I can't wait to listen to it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Ive got a Technics 1300 with a 33/45 RPM selector knob that is broken/just spins freely. I imagine its stuck on one or the other setting. For anyone familiar with this turntable, is it worth or even possible to open and fix? I got it for free via my parents basement but it needs at least a stylus so I can't test it until I get one. I'm weighing whether its worth enough to risk sinking money into. Is this thing worth my time?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Moai Ou posted:

One of my local stores (Time Traveler Records in Cuyahoga Falls, OH) is closing its doors due to being evicted for not paying several months' rent. Everything but new releases are 40% off.

I wound up with a few things that I only got BECAUSE they were on sale, but found a few gems as well:

They Might Be Giants - Flood (RSD)
David Bowie - Nothin' But A Star
Blondie - The Hunter
The Big Lebowski (RSD)
Wham! - Fantastic
Rolling Stones - Undercover
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
Limahl - Don't Suppose
The Mamas & The Papas - Farewell To The First Golden Era

My copy of Lebowski is mispressed. The first two tracks on side A have a swath where it looks double-pressed, resulting in nasty static. It's listenable, but annoying.

Flood is a beautiful transparent green that looks better in person.

Nothin' But A Star is a limited (1000 copies) French bootleg of an '83 concert in Frankfurt. I can't wait to listen to it.

I'm going there next weekend because I know the owner's daughter. I think they're moving to a new place sometime in the future.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
I've only started collecting vinyl recently and my collection at the minute is:
Slayer-Show No Mercy (white)
Code Orange- I Am King (green with like white bits sorta like jade.)
Excel- Split Image 2LP special edition (Black)
Cultfinder- Black Thrashing Terror 7" (Black)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
You guys like Death records?

My brother inherited a bunch of records from a guy who, get this, was loving laser cutting them into shapes to sell as jewelery at a local market before he had to stop because the guy who did the cutting said he wouldn't do it any longer because it was loving with his lungs. Or some bullshit. So my brother took the rest from him, and there a bunch of gems in there, a bunch of old slayer, kreator, iron maiden, exodus records. Basically if it it was 80's metal it was in there. Including these, there were also some slayer records in there that were signed by everyone. It's been a while since I was there to see the collection so I can't remember exactly. There might have been a copy of Leprosy in there that was signed by Chuck Schuldiner as well.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

screaden posted:

You guys like Death records?

My brother inherited a bunch of records from a guy who, get this, was loving laser cutting them into shapes to sell as jewelery at a local market before he had to stop because the guy who did the cutting said he wouldn't do it any longer because it was loving with his lungs. Or some bullshit. So my brother took the rest from him, and there a bunch of gems in there, a bunch of old slayer, kreator, iron maiden, exodus records. Basically if it it was 80's metal it was in there. Including these, there were also some slayer records in there that were signed by everyone. It's been a while since I was there to see the collection so I can't remember exactly. There might have been a copy of Leprosy in there that was signed by Chuck Schuldiner as well.

If I'd got my hands on that I'd likely cum in my pants right there and then.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, that's a pretty collectable record. Even without the autographs it's worth a few bucks.

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer
Just found this thread - figured I'd join in on the discussion.
I'm lucky, in that I live about 20 minutes from Princeton Record Exchange. I've been mostly listening to new LP's from modern artists for the past couple years (Goldfrapp, St. Vincent, Of Montreal, Godspeed You! Black Emperor). My dad has a huge collection spanning the 1940's 78's thru modern 33's. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to play any 78's, short of owning a vintage turntable.

I personally use a simple audio-technica usb turntable, while my dad has some sort of stupid-expensive turntable that always has its belts coming undone, with a yet again stupidly expensive needle. I think his setup has seen less than 50 LP's on it in the past 20 years of ownership. My cheap rear end turntable has seen 30-40 this past year alone, and never fails me. Go figure.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Moai Ou posted:

Bummer. You just reminded me I picked it up on Black Friday but am only now listening to it to the first time and it sounds great, but audio-wise and the content contained within.

jimmsta posted:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to play any 78's, short of owning a vintage turntable.

There are cheap-o turntables produced today that can play 78s (I have one). Problem you might run into is if they don't allow you to change the cartridge. Mine can't be changed, so it's the same needle used to play 78s as well as 45s and 33s. I guess if I have to choose between "poo poo sound" and "no sound" I'll choose the former for my old rear end records.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

"We recommend storing this record out of its clear polyethyline case, which will damage the vinyl after prolonged direct contact."

What gives?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

illestG posted:

"We recommend storing this record out of its clear polyethyline case, which will damage the vinyl after prolonged direct contact."

What gives?

Survey says: true.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of people here from Perth. I'm going to be there for a bit, where's cool to check out for records?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hi, I'm new to vinyl. Thought I'd share the tiny collection I have.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

This collection above is right after my own heart. In particular, the most recent s/t Ryan Adams LP is at the very least in my top three releases of 2014, if not my outright #1 favorite. I have 2 copies of Demolition due to one of mine being left back with my parents and the normal selling price for it being significantly affordable (under $11.00 or so, I believe).

However, one of my other all-time favorite Ryan Adams albums is Love Is Hell Pt. 1 and 2, but I've never been able to find it on vinyl almost anywhere at a reasonable price due to how scarce it is. Can I ask how much that LP set you back?

Good call with Rock Action, as well. Do you remember how much that one was, as well? And lastly, where did you find those 2 records in question?

I've found that when I know what specific album I'm looking for, shopping online is the most efficient and cost-effective route. On the other hand, I absolutely love that "a-ha!" moment when sifting through a New Used Arrivals bin and stumbling across an unexpected gift of an album that you hadn't specifically set out to buy that day but still love and now get to snag it on vinyl (and in some cases get a fantastic deal for it, like if a record store/vendor doesn't do their research of a record's value and instead just slaps a stock $14.99 price tag on an LP worth at least $75.00 or has a far higher selling price and marketplace value at that point in time).

And I don't have to tell the folks in this thread about this, but situations like the above circumstances are a large part of why some of the best scenarios for record collectors include things like garage sales where a seller doesn't care about marketplace value or the general worth of an album and instead simply just wants to unload a bunch of records (and usually a record collection that doesn't even belong to the seller and was just left behind or abandoned for whatever reason).

Anyway: two of my better recent scores are:

1. Chemlab - East Side Militia - Promotional Pressing (for only $15.95!):

2. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand (reissue, but I don't care since it's maybe my favorite album by one of my all-time favorite bands - and because the USPS loving lost my original translucent red Bee Thousand pressing, along with 35 other records of mine).

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Goatmask posted:

There seem to be a disproportionate amount of people here from Perth. I'm going to be there for a bit, where's cool to check out for records?

Get in here, I will add an updated list of stores soon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/595629733884997/

luncheon meat posted:

Not in that Facebook group! Got a link?

Sorry that took 8 weeks.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 26, 2014

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Floodixor posted:

This collection above is right after my own heart.

Hey man, good to see another DRA fan! I think Rock Action was bought from a friend who was moving overseas, and I got Love is Hell from the reissue that got put out not so long ago. Google it and you'll find it, Amazon sell it too I think! I'd like an original but it's in the hundreds of dollars now. I swear a couple of the tracks are different though, the solo in Shadowlands sounds different to the cd release. That was 80 AUD. Rock action 10. The s/t is one of my favourites of this year too, though not in the same league as his other work imo. 29 is still one of the best albums of all time for me, the only reason I haven't picked it up is because my old roommate had a copy I used to hold on to.

e: nice scores by the way.

e2: Oh and the love is hell reissue comes with two extra vinyls worth of B sides too.

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 26, 2014

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
It's been a bit more than a year since I was given a turntable for my birthday, so here's half my little collection.

Basically what I have in mind is to own stuff I really like, or failing that, stuff with an interesting history to them/oddities.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

Fat fingered the post button on my phone but oh well...

The coolest album I have has to be the Moondog one, it's gatefold

Here's the backside...

And here's the really cool part about it:

Track list!

The Los Saicos album I got for Christmas is really nice as well! Here's the back of it, comes with a booklet about the history of the band.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Looks like you're off to a really good start if this is just the beginning of your collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Looks like you're off to a really good start if this is just the beginning of your collection.

Thanks!
I've got 12 other albums, most of which were gifts that were given to me along with the turntable. Some are just alright, maybe they'll grow on me more over time.

Surfer Girl by The Beach Boys, haven't listened to it yet.

Fist Full of Bees EP by The Brian Jonestown Massacre, LP sized but plays 45.

(It's also pretty)

Some Early Cream live album, not bad.

Made In Japan, a Deep Purple live album, haven't listened to it yet.

Power Trip, some MC5 EP with previously unreleased (officially) material

A Sonics/Mudhoney split single from Record store day, pretty cool and colored too!

Blues Hoot, a live album with Lightnin' Hopkins, Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry

Cruisin '58, a compilation of classic songs from the time. My bro picked it out after we saw a cheesy movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger listens to Yakety Yak.

Destiny's Children, an album by Sky Sunlight Saxon (of The Seeds fame) and Firewall. The opening track is pretty sick.

The Interpreter, a live album by Roky Erickson and The Explosives. The cover looks pretty cool, though oddly pixelated if you look at it close enough in person.

Merengues Y Mas Merengues, various artists. Some Latin music, my brother thought it looked cool I guess.

Finally, The Original Hootenanny Vol.2, various artists. Nothing too outstanding...
But any Replacements fans?

All in all though, I don't think I'm much of a record digger. I prefer to do the digging online, then get it on vinyl if I like it enough.