Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Just gonna leave this here...

http://pitchfork.com/news/65374-rare-david-bowie-lp-is-most-expensive-discogs-sale-ever

Rare Bowie LP sells for over $6k on discogs.

quote:

As morbid as it sounds, there is usually a bump in sales in the marketplace for a given artist when they pass. Collectors look to grab that piece of history, they want to own that a piece of the story. Thanks to the accuracy of Discogs’ data this particular collector was able to pinpoint to that exact first pressing. The power of the first pressing is a classic supply-demand model. There are a finite number of that album and even fewer that were released under the title, David Bowie (it was later re-released as Space Oddity) – find one in good condition and you can relive that moment when you first listened to it. It’s tough to put a monetary value on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Pearl Jam is finally reissuing No Code and Yield on vinyl. They're up for preorder on their site, if you're into that sort of thing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
City of Caterpillar is getting a repress finally

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Scarf posted:

Just gonna leave this here...

http://pitchfork.com/news/65374-rare-david-bowie-lp-is-most-expensive-discogs-sale-ever

Rare Bowie LP sells for over $6k on discogs.

But there's so many pressings of that, including a modern analog remaster that probably sounds better than the original. loving baby boomers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

But there's so many pressings of that, including a modern analog remaster that probably sounds better than the original. loving baby boomers.

How do you know it was a baby boomer who bought it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

How do you know it was a baby boomer who bought it?

Because they have six thousand dollars.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Because they have six thousand dollars.

Compelling argument.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Compelling argument.

Every time one of these kind of things gets sold for prices like this the buyer is always a rich baby boomer or a Saudi prince.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Or Notch.

...basically the same thing

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Or Notch.

...basically the same thing

I don't know what this is.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I don't know what this is.
Minecraft dude paid $40,000 for Aphex Twin's missing Caustic Window LP.

If we're talking upsettingly expensive records, if I had $40,000 lying around, I'd buy every Devil Doll album imaginable at the usual going rate of $400-500 a pop.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

caligulamprey posted:

Minecraft dude paid $40,000 for Aphex Twin's missing Caustic Window LP.

If we're talking upsettingly expensive records, if I had $40,000 lying around, I'd buy every Devil Doll album imaginable at the usual going rate of $400-500 a pop.

I'd buy every copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights, then destroy all but say 50 so that it would actually become a highly sought record

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'd buy every copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights, then destroy all but say 50 so that it would actually become a highly sought record

At $1 each I hope you have at least $1,000,000 to spend on this

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Blast Fantasto posted:

Uncle Scrooge will tell you that's probably gonna be more trouble than it's worth.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I'm pretty sure Whipped Cream will never be a "highly sought record". All that destroying most of them will do is make it so that record won't pop up randomly in every record collection anymore. It'll still be worth the same amount of money.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

My haul for the day after rather unexpectedly finding a chunk of leftover birthday money! Hines, Cohen and Davis were surprisingly cheap used copies and I got Atlas really only cause the record store had surprisingly little other modern records on offer that I liked. Still, all in all I'm decently happy with it.

[edit] And cause I'm never gonna use these, here are the codes for Atlas by Real Estate (upper) and Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs, you know the deal.

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2016

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

oscarthewilde posted:

My haul for the day after rather unexpectedly finding a chunk of leftover birthday money! Hines, Cohen and Davis were surprisingly cheap used copies and I got Atlas really only cause the record store had surprisingly little other modern records on offer that I liked. Still, all in all I'm decently happy with it.

[edit] And cause I'm never gonna use these, here are the codes for Atlas by Real Estate (upper) and Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs, you know the deal.

Snagged the drugs. Thanks.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Got the Perturbator Uncanny Valley box set today.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Tracking down more early-to-mid 90s hip-hop in a vain attempt at reliving the non-lovely parts of high school.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pingiivi posted:

Got the Perturbator Uncanny Valley box set today.

Definitely sad I missed this now.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Definitely sad I missed this now.

Box set might be sold out but blood music still has all kinds of Uncanny Valley wax available.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Danny LaFever posted:

Box set might be sold out but blood music still has all kinds of Uncanny Valley wax available.

There are some box sets available in the Blood Music store.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat I thought it was just the clear version that was the full boxset. Ouch at the price but not unexpected. If it retains its value it's fine at least, but these obviously not flying off the shelf like the Brut record did. Probably will still sell out at full price at least, I'm glad I waited for the College - Heritage boxset to go half price before buying it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CPL593H posted:

Please name any other music group of any genre from the 20th century that has had the amount of staying power, recognition, and media presence of the Beatles.

CCR

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stones and/or Pink Floyd too.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
now we're making some progress

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shillary posted:

Nickelback

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's actually a degree of truth to this, just in the opposite direction.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shillary posted:

aaaa

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Graves At Sea - This Place Is Poison.

Graves At Sea - The Curse That Is.

Vektor - Terminal Redux.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Don't know if this is the right place to be asking technical questions about vintage turntables, but I just bought a replacement new old stock needle for an old turntable and while the needle matches my cartridge (D AT 2/V-15 Pickering) when I tried to play a record it just skipped right the gently caress across the surface and put a nice big (albeit light) scratch on it.

What could be the cause of this? Stylus bent or dull? Wrong needle altogether? It was only like 15 bucks but it's still a bummer. I guess I'll deal with my current needle and maybe just buy a modern player, one where they still make styluses for it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to be asking technical questions about vintage turntables, but I just bought a replacement new old stock needle for an old turntable and while the needle matches my cartridge (D AT 2/V-15 Pickering) when I tried to play a record it just skipped right the gently caress across the surface and put a nice big (albeit light) scratch on it.

What could be the cause of this? Stylus bent or dull? Wrong needle altogether? It was only like 15 bucks but it's still a bummer. I guess I'll deal with my current needle and maybe just buy a modern player, one where they still make styluses for it.

Did you set your tracking force?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not even sure you can adjust the tracking force on it, it's a Fisher 305 XA which from doing a little bit of cursory research seems like a cheap record player that's "okay" but maybe just a step above a children's toy record player.

I think I'm just going to buy a basic Audio Technica sometime soon, my current player was adequate for a while but I think it's about time to move on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not even sure you can adjust the tracking force on it, it's a Fisher 305 XA which from doing a little bit of cursory research seems like a cheap record player that's "okay" but maybe just a step above a children's toy record player.

I think I'm just going to buy a basic Audio Technica sometime soon, my current player was adequate for a while but I think it's about time to move on.

Probably for the best. I'm not so sure I'd want a turntable that doesn't have a counterweight.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tape a coin to the tonearm, worked for my dad.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can't tell from YouTube on my phone but it looks like there's a weight on the back of the tonearm. Is there a weight stamped on it? 2g or 2.5g probably.

I'd check your anti-skate setting before using a penny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You'd think it's a weight but no, it's just a piece of plastic on the back that looks like a weight. There are little metal pieces that I hosed around with that you can screw/unscrew but they seem to just be actual screws holding the back of the tonearm in place, one of them is attached to a spring. Also while loving with them I think I've ruined the turntable's automatic mechanism, it's supposed to move the arm to the correct size of your record but now it just goes all the way to the right before making a loud popping sound and then returning to the cradle. Also records are skipping now and they've never skipped with that player.

As for the stylus, it looks like the diamond needle is actually pretty blunted and they basically advertised it as "new" as in "new old stock" which is starting to look like bullshit.

VV yeah, the only thing I'm bummed about is that I was going to give my current one to a friend whose turntable just broke, now I can't because it's hosed up

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 17, 2016

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

You'd think it's a weight but no, it's just a piece of plastic on the back that looks like a weight. There are little metal pieces that I hosed around with that you can screw/unscrew but they seem to just be actual screws holding the back of the tonearm in place, one of them is attached to a spring. Also while loving with them I think I've ruined the turntable's automatic mechanism, it's supposed to move the arm to the correct size of your record but now it just goes all the way to the right before making a loud popping sound and then returning to the cradle. Also records are skipping now and they've never skipped with that player.

As for the stylus, it looks like the diamond needle is actually pretty blunted and they basically advertised it as "new" as in "new old stock" which is starting to look like bullshit.

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

VV yeah, the only thing I'm bummed about is that I was going to give my current one to a friend whose turntable just broke, now I can't because it's hosed up

Time to sell for parts or use it to make a record cleaning machine.