Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
This weekend I grabbed the new non-record store release of Hoist by Phish as a balm for being bummed out that I missed the RSD version. Only difference is the colored vinyl. Then came to the realization that I still paid almost 50 bucks for a mediocre studio album by a band who doesn't make good studio albums. Not to mention the fact that its a 50 minute album stretched over 2 platters.

Then I opened up the reissue of Super Session that I got along with Hoist, and felt a lot better.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I know we've discussed this before, but I'm the weirdo that likes their studio music far more than their live poo poo (which still isn't a lot, to be honest). Every time I come across those reissues in the bin I'm like "Junta, cool!" and then realize that they're all between $40-$55. Pass.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Barry posted:

I know we've discussed this before, but I'm the weirdo that likes their studio music far more than their live poo poo (which still isn't a lot, to be honest). Every time I come across those reissues in the bin I'm like "Junta, cool!" and then realize that they're all between $40-$55. Pass.

To be fair, they were capable of good, cohesive studio albums. Rift and Billy Breathes are great examples, but they're the exceptions.

'Rift 2-LP Deluxe Edition Vinyl
$49.99'

Yeah, suffers from Junta syndrome on vinyl though . . .

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I love Phish almost as much as they love to gouge the poo poo out of their fans.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

I love Phish almost as much as they love to gouge the poo poo out of their fans.

Agree completely, but last week while clearing out my storage locker I found a stub from a show I went to at a glorified little league field in Maine in 1994. Ticket was $20 with no fees and we bought them at the window 20 min before the show started. Stood dead center like 30 feet from the stage.

They would spend the next 22 years gouging me pretty good, but it wasn't always that way.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

uncle spero posted:

They would spend the next 22 years gouging me pretty good, but it wasn't always that way.

It's punishment for having awful taste in music.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
*scratches scalp* idk man *eats flakes from scalp* phish is pretty good *smooths out poncho* lot of sweet tunes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We're missing the important part of this:

uncle spero posted:

Then I opened up the reissue of Super Session that I got along with Hoist, and felt a lot better.

If that's the record I think it is, that is so good. I don't need a new copy of it since the one I've got plays fine, but I'm glad it's still out there.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

We're missing the important part of this:

If that's the record I think it is, that is so good. I don't need a new copy of it since the one I've got plays fine, but I'm glad it's still out there.

Confirmed. It is that Super Session. I got the reissue sealed for $23.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I bought some soundtracks today. I didn't even know the Far Cry 4 soundtrack was on vinyl but here it is:

The records are really pretty and the packaging is also really nice. The inside of the gatefold has a cool Nepalese mountain range picture on it.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Was a little surprised when adding a copy of The Rising by Bruce Springsteen to my phone app that discogs says some people seem to think its worth $200. I bought it new in 2002 for like $15 and promptly forgot about it.

I am strongly tempted to turn it into $200 worth of records which are not The Rising but Bruce Springsteen.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

uncle spero posted:

Was a little surprised when adding a copy of The Rising by Bruce Springsteen to my phone app that discogs says some people seem to think its worth $200. I bought it new in 2002 for like $15 and promptly forgot about it.

I am strongly tempted to turn it into $200 worth of records which are not The Rising but Bruce Springsteen.

It looks like there are actual sales every week or two as well.

I'd take the money and run.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Anyone got some hot tips on record shopping in Chicago?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Jazz record mart is pretty dope if you like blues or jazz

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

The Jazz record mart is pretty dope if you like blues or jazz

It's, sadly, closed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What?? It was still there ... 3 years ago. I guess it's been awhile.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

What?? It was still there ... 3 years ago. I guess it's been awhile.

Yeah, guy who ran it was tired of the rent spikes and wanted to retire.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160215/river-north/its-official-jazz-record-mart-closes-doors

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

SeXReX posted:

gramaphone, kstarke, logan hardware

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 25, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SeXReX posted:

The local heavyweight is Reckless. They have 3 locations, fair pricing, and are generally pretty fantastic.

Other record stores that I generally like in no real order: Dusty Groove, Saki, Dave's, Permanent Records, Groovin' High, upstairs at Reggies, Shuga, Championship Vinyl, Gramaphone.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Barry posted:

The local heavyweight is Reckless. They have 3 locations, fair pricing, and are generally pretty fantastic.

Other record stores that I generally like in no real order: Dusty Groove, Saki, Dave's, Permanent Records, Groovin' High, upstairs at Reggies, Shuga, Championship Vinyl, Gramaphone.

Echoing all of this. Permanent Records is my personal favorite. Just look up whichever of these are closest to where you're staying and try to hit a few.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think the easiest kind of loop to make is Reckless on Milwaukee, down the street a block to Shuga and then down Ashland a bit to Dusty Groove. You also get a decent variety of specializations that way too. If you're feeling saucy, it's not very far to get to Permanent from there either.

There's also a bunch kind of centered around Belmont/Halsted - Reckless on Broadway, Gramaphone, Dave's, Transistor and Groovin' High. Actually just starting at Dave's on Clark/Wrightwood and then walking North on Clark/Broadway is a great way to kill some time.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Important soundtrack-related update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLuvkcV2oi4

I have no interest in owning the Star Wars soundtrack on vinyl, but I do want TIE Fighter holograms on all my records going forward.

Unrelated: does anyone else feel obliged to buy something when you go to a relatively small record store? I've never gotten pressure from workers there, but it feels weird to spend 30 minutes digging around the store and then walking out totally empty-handed. "Nope, didn't see anything at all here." Sure, I went in looking for non-lovely-repressings of Iggy Pop's The Idiot and Lust for Life, but I guess I'll walk away with this new copy of King Tubby Meets The Upsetter - At The Grass Roots Of Dub out of an unwritten code of politeness...

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

iluvpr0n posted:

I have no interest in owning the Star Wars soundtrack on vinyl, but I do want TIE Fighter holograms on all my records going forward.

Unrelated: does anyone else feel obliged to buy something when you go to a relatively small record store? I've never gotten pressure from workers there, but it feels weird to spend 30 minutes digging around the store and then walking out totally empty-handed. "Nope, didn't see anything at all here." Sure, I went in looking for non-lovely-repressings of Iggy Pop's The Idiot and Lust for Life, but I guess I'll walk away with this new copy of King Tubby Meets The Upsetter - At The Grass Roots Of Dub out of an unwritten code of politeness...

Its never been an issue. No matter what I am looking for, there's going to be something I want that I didn't know I wanted.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

but I guess I'll walk away with this new copy of King Tubby Meets The Upsetter - At The Grass Roots Of Dub out of an unwritten code of politeness...

Why didn't you already have a copy?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

iluvpr0n posted:

My goto store has 5 dollar blind bags of 15 or so various 45s that I'll usually get at least one of.

In soundtrack related news they're putting the hyper light drifter ost out and thanks to stupid rsd hipsters killing a dead industry it won't get pressed until December.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

iluvpr0n posted:

That's neat. Don't think it'd work for me though because I'm currently using an Ikea pencil as a spindle :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

iluvpr0n posted:

I've never been able to leave a record store without making a purchase in my life.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SeXReX posted:

My goto store has 5 dollar blind bags of 15 or so various 45s that I'll usually get at least one of.

In soundtrack related news they're putting the hyper light drifter ost out and thanks to stupid rsd hipsters killing a dead industry it won't get pressed until December.

Ah yes, as opposed to the elite music consumers that will purchase the vinyl version of a Steam game soundtrack

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 28, 2016

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ah yes, as opposed to the elite music consumers that will purchase the vinyl version of a Steam game aoundtrack

I had to google "hyper light drifter" because I thought maybe it was some over looked classic that hasn't been in print for 20 years or something. When I discovered what it actually was I rolled my eyes so hard at that comment I almost hurt myself.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SeXReX posted:

Your first post in this thread was about standing in line for RSD 2015. Congrats you are the worst poster in this thread

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gravel Gravy posted:

That's neat. Don't think it'd work for me though because I'm currently using an Ikea pencil as a spindle :(

Actually may as well ask here. The spindle that came with my record player is one of those long spindles which have arms that drop records on the platter to play multiple records. I heard those can mess them up so I took it off and whittled a golf pencil down to fit into the center hole.

Anyone know where I can get a plain metal rod to slide in there instead? Figured Home Depot but that's been a nogo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SeXReX posted:

ah hell, ah poo poo, this video game soundtrack won't be pressed for like 6 months, this is agonising

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My currently-broken turntable was one of those automatic deals and yeah, it sucks not having a manual spindle. The "novelty" of being able to play multiple 45s in a sort of mixtape setup is kinda neat but it's not worth the damage to your records. I took to twisting the spindle until the little catch went in and I could slide a record down, then twisting it back in place.

Buying a pad is another option, which I did before the tonearm gave out on it when I was loving with styluses. I tried once before I bought a pad to see if it could really damage a record, and sure enough it put a big surface scrape about the size of a nickel on the side it dropped onto the platter. The record was that brand-new, just out of the shrink wrap Xiu Xiu album that's now being listed at $70+ sealed. But gently caress it, and gently caress speculators and collectors. All I care about is listening to music.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Gruesome - "Dimensions of Horror".

The Witch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
why the gently caress would you buy a game soundtrack on vinyl? I mean that isn't GTA.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a game soundtrack

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the super hexagon vinyl is an actual hexagon and i played that game way more than the $2 i spent on it justified so i felt good supporting the game+musicians with a vinyl purchase

i also got the fez soundtrack because i think the fez soundtrack is one of the best game soundtracks of all time but i don't think i'd just buy random licensed soundtracks or whatever for the same reason i don't have any movie soundtracks other than saturday night fever :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

rear end Catchcum posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a game soundtrack on vinyl? I mean that isn't GTA.

This is true for every game soundtrack except for Streets of Rage because it's loving awesome. It ends on a locked groove loop with the item pickup sound effect, also the tracks aren't just game rips they're fully redone/remade/remastered and they sound great.

And Streets of Rage in general loving rules so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I have the Scott Pilgrim the videogame soundtrack and I am not ashamed.

Oh and that Last of Us score which is actually pretty good to just put on as background music