Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I might have my front cover on upside down in that first image, but that's how it was when I got it, so I'm sticking with it.

Thanks for posting this. I just got mine today and it has number 36 on it. That makes me one better than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new Grimes LP is boss as heck.

http://www.insound.com/Visions-LP-Grimes/P/INS103432/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

I might have my front cover on upside down in that first image, but that's how it was when I got it, so I'm sticking with it.

So wait, are the discs actually real flexis just like the lovely ones you used to get in Readers Digest where you had to put a coin on the label to make sure your changers 500 gram tonearm didn't stop the thing from actually turning. They had the fidelity of AM radio being transmitted over CB radio. Is this some new trend I've somehow missed?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Ron Burgundy posted:

So wait, are the discs actually real flexis just like the lovely ones you used to get in Readers Digest where you had to put a coin on the label to make sure your changers 500 gram tonearm didn't stop the thing from actually turning. They had the fidelity of AM radio being transmitted over CB radio. Is this some new trend I've somehow missed?

There's a spot on these ones where it suggests to place a coin if you have trouble playing it, and I need to put a $2 coin on it for it to play properly. It actually sounds ok.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hm, thinking maybe I can source out some help from some vinyl experts here. Everything I play through my turntable and amp has a fuzzed up, crappy bass which can only be made tolerable by turning the bass up on the amp. Is this an issue that is rooted in the turntable (a really old Sanyo TPX1) or the amp (equally old Technics SA-110L) and it has existed for pretty much as long as they have been in my possession. First off, anybody here know the quality of this ancient kit? For all I know they could be stinking piles of poo poo.

I have tried polishing the vinyl, cleaning the stylus, changing the cables running between all the gear and a few other things.

I know it is not my record collection, as I have tried new vinyl on it which has had the same problem. I also know it is not the speakers as I have tried four different kinds through the times with no success. It is always the same problem.

If it is the gear that is being crappy, due to just being crap brands, then does anybody know where I can get a tolerable turntable and amp in the UK for a relatively low price? I literally have no idea what prices I am looking at because no shops near me stock turntables or amps, I have checked.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys may lend me.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Is the player standing on a level surface? I had really lovely sound from mine at first, because I had to rig it up on a chair temporarily. The seat of the chair was sloped and therefore the needle couldn't get an even reading of the disc.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Is the player standing on a level surface? I had really lovely sound from mine at first, because I had to rig it up on a chair temporarily. The seat of the chair was sloped and therefore the needle couldn't get an even reading of the disc.

Yeah, totally level. Made an entire shelf for it to be level on after being told it might not be level by my dad, and all sorts of other things.

The levels I have gone through for vinyl... I got it, I am determined to someday make it worth using, haha.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Another Person posted:

Hm, thinking maybe I can source out some help from some vinyl experts here. Everything I play through my turntable and amp has a fuzzed up, crappy bass which can only be made tolerable by turning the bass up on the amp. Is this an issue that is rooted in the turntable (a really old Sanyo TPX1) or the amp (equally old Technics SA-110L) and it has existed for pretty much as long as they have been in my possession. First off, anybody here know the quality of this ancient kit? For all I know they could be stinking piles of poo poo.

I have tried polishing the vinyl, cleaning the stylus, changing the cables running between all the gear and a few other things.

I know it is not my record collection, as I have tried new vinyl on it which has had the same problem. I also know it is not the speakers as I have tried four different kinds through the times with no success. It is always the same problem.

If it is the gear that is being crappy, due to just being crap brands, then does anybody know where I can get a tolerable turntable and amp in the UK for a relatively low price? I literally have no idea what prices I am looking at because no shops near me stock turntables or amps, I have checked.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys may lend me.

Well, the equipment is pretty low end - I looked up the Sanyo and the arm looks a bit um - 'basic', but it should work okay. I'd be looking at a possible cartridge problem myself. A few questions:
1) What is the make/model of the cartridge, or if it's not possible to tell, what does the cartridge look like?
2) How old is the stylus?
3) What tracking force are you using?

Also, do you run any other sources (CD player, iPod) through the amp, and if so do they sound okay? If not, maybe it's the speakers which are at fault and not the deck at all. e: I read good.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I don't know about a trend, but it's kind of a quirky fun thing. I haven't had any issues playing mine without a coin, and the sound quality is acceptable. I think the biggest issue for me is static, as I'm in a dry environment and it builds up super easy on thin plastic like that.

Here are a few recent purchases, because my White Willow LP finally came:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

That Gainsbourg album owns.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Thanks for posting this. I just got mine today and it has number 36 on it. That makes me one better than you.

:smuggo:

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:smuggo:

I'm kinda sad that I didn't order the box now that I've seen it.

Was it just me, or was anyone else disappointed in February's selection? The song was OK, but I just didn't imagine they would be releasing live recordings in this series. Seemed like they just sort of copped out by taking a live recording from a show.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I'm kinda sad that I didn't order the box now that I've seen it.

Was it just me, or was anyone else disappointed in February's selection? The song was OK, but I just didn't imagine they would be releasing live recordings in this series. Seemed like they just sort of copped out by taking a live recording from a show.

Agreed. I was really looking forward to a new exclusive Make Believe song :(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

That Gainsbourg album owns.
Indeed. One of my favorites, for sure.

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I hadn't heard the song before, so I wasn't too put off by it. It is weird that it isn't a new track though, since I thought that was the whole point.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Here are a few recent purchases, because my White Willow LP finally came:

So is White Willow even known abroad? Because in Norway they are sadly pretty much ignored.

I buy a lot of Norwegian vinyl that I think deserves a broader audience but I don't know if anyone are interested. Should I post some recommendations?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

So is White Willow even known abroad? Because in Norway they are sadly pretty much ignored.

I buy a lot of Norwegian vinyl that I think deserves a broader audience but I don't know if anyone are interested. Should I post some recommendations?

I got into them when I heard Terminal Twilight compared to Leprous' Bilateral, which I love. No one I know had ever heard of them before, though. I imagined they would be big in Norway, considering their discography, so it sucks to hear that they're not. I'd definitely love some recommendations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
So I've left Insound for greener pastures, but y'all should definitely enter the code febstorewide15 if you'll be making any purchases this week. 15% off EVERYTHING.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

fozzie dunlop posted:

So I've left Insound for greener pastures, but y'all should definitely enter the code febstorewide15 if you'll be making any purchases this week. 15% off EVERYTHING.

If I had to wait 4 months for my record I'd quit too.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Gone on a spree and got tons of stuff then I found this thread and figured I jump in and post some pics here.

The record with the generic sleeve is The Dominatrix (as seen in my avatar). Waiting for some more records to come in the mail including a Dominatrix with the picture sleeve (German release with an extra remix).

Good to find this thread.

Also Rama Lama Magnus I'll second the request for Norwegian recommendations.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 8, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Its not really a trend, a lot of crust punk and had hardcore bands have been putting them since music mags stopped putting them in there.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I've been looking to buy a new turntable and have been eyeing this Audio Technica AT-LP120 I saw on ebay the other day. It was $284.95 AUD plus free shipping. I live in Tasmania so my options are extremely limited. I decided to pull the trigger and saw he has increased the price by over $500. Wtf?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUDIO-TE...=item1e6a6699d7

He has sold 50 at the original price and I can't see him selling much more seeing as there is another seller who is much cheaper (but still considerably more expensive than this guys original price).

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
How do the AT-LP120's compare to a SL1200MK2? Are they exact copies?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

That's pretty weird, but they retail for $250 US on amazon, is that not an option?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Farts Domino posted:

That's pretty weird, but they retail for $250 US on amazon, is that not an option?

Buying from the US I have the problem of different voltage requirements nad giant, huge shipping fees. I'm pretty sure Amazon wont ship a turntable to Australia. That's why I was happy with that guys price, at least until he increased it astronomically.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
What's everyone's take on outter record sleeves to protect from dust and such? Do you put them on every record you own? And best brands / deals on buying them?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Peacebone posted:

What's everyone's take on outter record sleeves to protect from dust and such? Do you put them on every record you own? And best brands / deals on buying them?

I put them on every record I consider to be part of my collection, so the only ones that aren't in sleeves are some dad rock records I was given but haven't had time to go through and assess just yet and a handful of 7"s because I don't buy enough 7"s to be able to justify buying a whole bag of sleeves. Bags Unlimited is pretty much the standard, but there's some good stuff at Sleeve City as well. The ones marked "customer favorite" at Bags Unlimited are what I use. I can't stand bags with top flaps myself, and will put them on records I'm trading or selling just to be rid of them. I'd say sleeves are more about preventing shelfwear than they are about keeping dust off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

I put them on every record I consider to be part of my collection, so the only ones that aren't in sleeves are some dad rock records I was given but haven't had time to go through and assess just yet and a handful of 7"s because I don't buy enough 7"s to be able to justify buying a whole bag of sleeves. Bags Unlimited is pretty much the standard, but there's some good stuff at Sleeve City as well. The ones marked "customer favorite" at Bags Unlimited are what I use. I can't stand bags with top flaps myself, and will put them on records I'm trading or selling just to be rid of them. I'd say sleeves are more about preventing shelfwear than they are about keeping dust off.

I'm the opposite of you. I use the sleeves to keep out dust. I like the covers to be in decent condition at least, but the actual record and how it sounds comes first by far. I'd choose a pristine record with a crappy cover over a so-so record and a pristine cover any day.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

What's the verdict on slipmats?
Is felt preferable over rubber?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Not really a matter of opinion: If you're using the turntable for DJing, you need a slipmat. If you're not, you're probably better off using the rubber mat since it better isolates the record from rumble.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Felt slipmats also produce a lot of static. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can buy a rubber slip mat for a reasonable price. I did a bit of searching a while back and everything I found was disgustingly overpriced.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I have an acrylic platter for my turntable, so I don't even need to use a mat.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Got this spare download code:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Go to http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/promo/
UFC: 652637312317
Code: MERCY7E6ICYVQ

Should be good for 3 uses

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

dflanny posted:

Thanks.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

dflanny posted:

I am totally listening to my creamy white copy of this right now.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

MokBa posted:

I am totally listening to my creamy white copy of this right now.

:hfive: That's what I was doing last night!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

dflanny posted:

:hfive: That's what I was doing last night!

I listened to mine the other night. Awesome album.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
Expanding my Sonic Youth collection plus some other things as well.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
I am currently spinning my copy of Women's 'Public Strain' in honor of the band's guitarist, Chris Reimer, passing. 8(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This made me laugh, the cover of an Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 reissue:

SKRILLEX presents ΔPHEX TW1N - Elected Δmbient W0rks 85-92

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

odiv posted:

Conveyor: Sun Ray (EP)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post393550991
http://conveyor.bandcamp.com/album/sun-ray-ep

Bought it after reading 1000 umbrellas' post early in the thread and listening to one of the songs.

Right on, that's my band! Thanks for your support.

Speaking of, we're running a Kickstarter right now to raise money to buy a van so that we can tour the whole US this summer.

The reason I mention this is because one of our rewards is our "vinyl package" for $45. That's a 12" EP, two 7"s and our upcoming 12" full length for forty-five bucks! All on snazzy different colored vinyl.

Check it out and let me know if you do donate so we can hang while I'm vanning across the country this summer!
http://kck.st/w8d9l3

edit: alternatively, you can just toss $5 our way for good karma. If everyone on our mailing list did so, we'd fly over our goal.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 22, 2012