Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Detective Thompson posted:

You never know what you'll find. I've found a few things I've been searching for that real record stores didn't have and for cheaper than a store would sell them for.

There's an antique mall fairly close to me which has a dealer who keeps a ton of records stocked, and brings new ones in all the time. The records are usually "on sale" every time I go in... in fact I can't recall a single time they weren't on sale for 50% off, even ones that just came in. I've gotten everything from Kate Bush to Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, etc. Nothing absolutely amazing, but some decent records show up there every know and then for around $5 each.

My best find was at a different antique mall though. I found the complete 3-LP set of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for $2 in a box of random records. The album's box was falling apart, but the sleeves with records were all there, scattered around in the box. I put all of them together and the owner agreed to sell the whole thing for $2 instead of the box price of "$2 'per record'".

My second best find was "Melt" for $1 at a flea market, along with Talking Heads' "77" for the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

Nice. My copy of the RSD ATDI from Music Fear Satan (France) was basically two pieces of cardboard sandwiching the album and taped seams.

I once had a record shipped to me that was nothing but a thin outer layer of cardboard with absolutely nothing securing the record in-place inside. When I got it the outer package had practically been folded in half during shipping, but when I opened it the sleeve didn't even have a crease in it. The record inside, though, had been completely busted, there was a huge crack that ran straight through half the record.

Luckily the guy refunded the whole amount and I shipped it back, but I was pissed. Supposedly this guy was a regular record dealer on eBay, too.

edit: Also, I'm keeping that DEVO Hardcore double-vinyl order page pinned in Firefox and so help me Jesus it better not be sold out by the time my next paycheck comes.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 14, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-Vint...=item3cd3462cf3

...and I was wondering what would be a good replacement or additional amplifier for it. Basically what I want is any kind of equalizer, because the sound coming out of it as-is is pretty muddy, no matter what record I'm listening to. The bass and treble can be turned up, but then you just get this loud, rumbling, indistinct sound. It's killing me because I love the turntable itself, but the old stereo just sounds awful.

Inexpensive as possible would be best.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm not sure I follow- are you saying that the turntable sounds bad and so you're looking for an amplifier/receiver that will compensate for that, or that the turntable is good but the current amp sounds lovely?

If it's the former- I get that you love your piece of gear but no amplifier is going to make up for the deficits of a bad turntable. 'Your setup is only as good as its weakest link'/'poo poo in, poo poo out' and all that jazz.

The turntable is perfectly fine, it's just a really old amp that has no sound modeling beyond "Bass" and "Treble" (thought I made it pretty clear, sorry). I mean, I have a crappy 80's stereo (portable, chunky boombox) with a broken volume control that has an equalizer, and it's worked in the past, I just want something made specifically for a phono turntable that has better sound quality.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh, gotcha. If the table's got RCA outs, then you have pretty much every receiver ever made (generally pre-2000 for an onboard preamp, otherwise you'll need a preamp) to choose from.

Yeah, but I was looking more for a recommendation for the cheapest I could get at the best quality, if anybody knew of one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't really say much about this since the soundtrack to Joysticks is coming out on Vinyl, someone bought a banner ad for it, and I as a man with a Joysticks avatar had to own it because of course I did.

But knowing about the Joysticks soundtrack led me to the awesome site Two Headed Dog which seems to cater to obscure film soundtracks or bands that make music that sounds like film scores. Does anybody who may know about the Two Headed Dog site know if their Record Store Day releases are literal in-store releases or if you go to the site on RSD to buy them? Because there are two albums on there I really want and I doubt that any record store near me would carry those releases.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed,_Unshaven_and_Misbehavin%27:_Live_Infinity

This is probably the most irritating record I've heard of. "The vinyl is unique in the way it is played. "Jim Fear" begins like a normal 7" but ends on a locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Destro's Secret" plays from the inside out and ends in the locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Sandbox Magician" begins like a normal 7", however "The Mullet Burden" begins slightly after the starting point for "Sandbox Magician". The EP comes with a sheet explaining the procedure required to listen to all of the tracks."

How does a record play "inside out", is there just groove cut in such a way that it guides the needle in the other direction or do you have to run the record in reverse?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

It's springloaded, so it's pressed against the record like it's the peeling blade on one of those machines that skins and cores an apple for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1Rm3Y7MEs

Seeing that apple peeler is making me cringe imagining what an upright turntable could do to a record, even if it doesn't. Imagine the table getting bumped a little bit while it plays, or an earthquake or controlled demolition nearby.

Anyway, I just heard about this album today and as soon as I gave it a listen on YouTube I bought the limited edition crystal clear reissue immediately:

The reissue also includes two additional tracks per side, including the one from Return of the Living Dead that plays when Trash is stripping.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Where did you buy this?

Oh, should've made the link more obvious, sorry. It's at Two Headed Dog. Click on the album cover.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Is there any chance that any records at all will be left in any given record store in the afternoon on RSD? I'd go at opening time but it's a 35 minute drive to the record store I'm planning to go to and I have a weekend shift that I probably wouldn't make it back for if I went in the morning.

I guess maybe it depends on the place but I've never been to any RSD so I don't know if I should expect it to be bone dry by 4 in the afternoon with nothing but crappy 7" picture discs that nobody wants left over.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go early, since the one record I really want (that I'd forgotten was coming out on RSD) is the Residents' Please Don't Steal It and that'll probably be the target of a lot of flippers since it's a sought-after DJ exclusive of a popular cult band that's getting its first public release.

Beyond that, there's maybe ten other records that I want and I'm not going to go crazy getting all of them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That same comp was reissued under another name and you can get that for 10-20 bucks. That release is called Nibbles.

Thanks, I might give it a pass but I'm still kind of digging on it for the novelty value. The overseas-only (I'm in the US) rerelease of that compilation isn't quite the same as owning a rerelease with the original DJ cover in colored vinyl.

But I'm curious if the price set by this chucklefuck eager gentleman is indicative of average RSD prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Residen...EkAAOSwy5ZXCH33

That single record LP and other 12" single record LPs are like $50 apiece. Is that how much RSD releases typically retail for or is this guy being a scumbag? If 12" RSD exclusives go for like $50 apiece I may just not even bothering to go in the morning. The place I'm going to is also having a 20% off sale on all other records and I may just get some regular records instead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Nobody with the total lack of morals to loving flip his store's stock online before RSD would actually charge the reasonable retail price.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dammit, some jackass spammed his poorly worded Craigslist ad all over the site and I was all excited because I thought he had a ton of killer punk LPs for sale:

I was thinking about it all during my work shift today, wondering what sort of offer I should make on it until I read the fine print. "LP's gone", which I earlier interpreted as meaning "First come first served until LP's are gone". But nope, taken alongside the "45s only" text at top he's selling a bunch of 45s, but his picture is still of the huge LP lot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

I saw a few things on the RSD list I'd like but nothing worth dealing with the crowds for.

I already traded in a stack of records (I bought a cheap lot out of a storage unit a month or so ago) for credit at the store I plan on going to today so I'm committed, but I kinda feel like if I show up and there's a line out the door I'm just turning around and leaving to spend that credit some other day. I kind of want that Xiu Xiu Performs Twin Peaks record and maybe GWAR and The Residents, beyond that it's just stuff I kinda wouldn't mind having but could pass on.

That Piero Umiliani soundtrack has some really good tracks on it, but I doubt the record store I'm going to is going to have it since it's probably super-limited. It's not that hard of a record to find anyways, you can import a previous release of it for about what the rerelease is going to cost.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Totally chill first RSD experience. Came in one hour after opening, no crowds or lines and I got The Residents and Xiu Xiu which were my two main goals. They also had most of the other stuff that was on my list.

In and out in 20 minutes. :feelsgood:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ballz posted:

Ahahaha what have you fuckers got me into with this thing. My wife is going to divorce me if I seriously start getting into The Residents.

Be sure to get those DVDs and multimedia CD ROMs too! :getin:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't suppose anybody else bought the Xiu Xiu album? Because it was supposed to contain a download code and mine didn't, I took both records out and inspected the sleeves and looked over the inside of the gatefold and saw nothing resembling a download code. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zigmoose posted:

Mine had the code tucked in the back of the red record sleeve. Bad luck dude.

Cool, found it thanks! It was hard to see because it's a slip of plain paper with a white back and it was jammed into the fold.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mike_V posted:

RSD sucks bc, amonb other reasons, it delays legit releases. This Local Action Dawn Richard single came out a month ago and isn't shipping for another week because weiners need their 10k run represses of some jackoff 70s LP

Artificially limited releases suck, so let me tell you all about this artificially limited release I ordered.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Uhh I don't think most record pressings are "artificially limited"

Uhh I was mocking people who think it's bad that RSD has limited releases when they buy limited releases online all the time. Picking out the word "artificial" from my post is missing the point.

The only moral limited release is my limited release.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gently caress anyone who has an opinion on record store day

It was a day I bought a couple of records, no different from any other day I bought a couple of records :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

All true, but that's why you comb through the garbage on Bull Moose ahead of time and separate out the good releases that still come out on RSD from the rest. And then on RSD you show up a little later and get the less sought-after releases when all the flippers have bought two copies of everything they think is going to sell on eBay.

Then they can't move any of it and the prices drop back down to retail or a little less, and the cycle repeats.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

To be fair that Dawn Richard single is really good. But you can buy and listen to the MP3/FLAC right now, RSD hasn't prevented anybody from buying or listening to that song. The artist is still getting supported by digital sales, in fact they're probably getting supported way more that way than by selling a handful of vinyl records to collectors.

I have two niche records on order right now that won't arrive until late spring and RSD is probably to blame but I'm not complaining about it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ahahahahaha, suck it flippers! https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/product/plays_the_music_of_twin_-1

Also I just ordered this off Bull Moose earlier today, but now it's "Unavailable" so I hope I don't get screwed out of a copy: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/22328192

No idea how many RSD leftover copies they had, but I would assume it was first come, first served and the order did go through without any problems so...

e: Item shipped! :neckbeard:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 18, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The only time I see Whipped Cream is looking through awful collections that old people set out at flea markets every month. They set out the exact same boxes, and every time nobody buys their Lawrence Welk, Guy Lombardo and Boots Randolph albums.

I guess those youngsters just don't appreciate good vinyl these days.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

uncle spero posted:

The magic of whipped cream was discovering it among your parent's record collection when you were like 12 and the internet didn't exist yet.

There's no magic to finding it anywhere else at any other time in your life.

I didn't say that wasn't where I first saw it. I don't think I was 12 though, maybe 15 or so and my dad had just bought a bunch of old records and that was in it.

And so was Songs of Leonard Cohen. I was an idiot though and never actually listened to it, just held onto it for like ten years and gave it away to a friend.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess that's basically for display only? Because I know that thing's going to rupture before a dozen plays.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not really seeing inflated prices on any of the mainline Prince albums right now, they're all about $15-20 which about the average price for popular used records. If you're talking OOP stuff then yeah, that's always going to be expensive and it's going to be even more expensive right now with high demand.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I was going to say "on Discogs the albums seem to be reasonable" but then I checked Purple Rain and the prices are loving retarded. Some pressings are $40+, even some cassettes are listed at ridiculous prices.

Some CDs are listed at $30 a piece, this is like money laundering poo poo. Nobody is, has or will ever pay $30 for a CD.

VV Granted, on a US pressing that's now listed for $40 the highest recorded sale was $30 and that was probably sealed. The last copy of that pressing that sold was before Prince's death.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 28, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm going to buy every copy of every Wendy & Lisa album on vinyl and wait 20-30 years. It's foolproof!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

It's not that surprising really, but its annoying that I choose now to complete my collection of Prince vinyl only to see the prices skyrocketing on Ebay. Why yes, I will pay way over the odds for your copy of 'Purple Rain'. However, it did mean that I got a bargain price for 'Around The World In A Day' because someone weirdly misnamed the auction 'Prince Paisley Park' instead.

Wait, where are you looking where Around the World in a Day is going for crazy prizes? There are sealed copies going for modern retail prices, and there was a promo copy on eBay that sold for $8.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Prince...=p2047675.l2557

Sealed, looks to be one of the 80's pressings because it has a 99 cent closeout sticker still attached. $13.50

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I always find that Around the World in a Day is usually the one Prince album that shows up in the $5 bin, they are plentiful.

It's pretty funny that the only Prince album in a huge lot I bought a few months back was Around the World in a Day. I guess it's just one of those albums that was so plentiful that everybody had a copy, even if they had no other Prince in their collection.

You'd think Purple Rain would be even more common :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah the only "issue" with discogs is that there's zero overhead or prerequisites for listing items, so you can just take any record you own and find the correct pressing and just list it at any price. And it can just sit there forever and ever and you're not charged for it, so sellers either forget they had it listed or just don't care that people aren't buying their way overpriced records. And I think some of it is just the fact that people list records when the value is at X price, but then the market value drops and they don't bother to readjust the price.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty sure Whipped Cream will never be a "highly sought record". All that destroying most of them will do is make it so that record won't pop up randomly in every record collection anymore. It'll still be worth the same amount of money.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Don't know if this is the right place to be asking technical questions about vintage turntables, but I just bought a replacement new old stock needle for an old turntable and while the needle matches my cartridge (D AT 2/V-15 Pickering) when I tried to play a record it just skipped right the gently caress across the surface and put a nice big (albeit light) scratch on it.

What could be the cause of this? Stylus bent or dull? Wrong needle altogether? It was only like 15 bucks but it's still a bummer. I guess I'll deal with my current needle and maybe just buy a modern player, one where they still make styluses for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not even sure you can adjust the tracking force on it, it's a Fisher 305 XA which from doing a little bit of cursory research seems like a cheap record player that's "okay" but maybe just a step above a children's toy record player.

I think I'm just going to buy a basic Audio Technica sometime soon, my current player was adequate for a while but I think it's about time to move on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You'd think it's a weight but no, it's just a piece of plastic on the back that looks like a weight. There are little metal pieces that I hosed around with that you can screw/unscrew but they seem to just be actual screws holding the back of the tonearm in place, one of them is attached to a spring. Also while loving with them I think I've ruined the turntable's automatic mechanism, it's supposed to move the arm to the correct size of your record but now it just goes all the way to the right before making a loud popping sound and then returning to the cradle. Also records are skipping now and they've never skipped with that player.

As for the stylus, it looks like the diamond needle is actually pretty blunted and they basically advertised it as "new" as in "new old stock" which is starting to look like bullshit.

VV yeah, the only thing I'm bummed about is that I was going to give my current one to a friend whose turntable just broke, now I can't because it's hosed up

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 17, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My currently-broken turntable was one of those automatic deals and yeah, it sucks not having a manual spindle. The "novelty" of being able to play multiple 45s in a sort of mixtape setup is kinda neat but it's not worth the damage to your records. I took to twisting the spindle until the little catch went in and I could slide a record down, then twisting it back in place.

Buying a pad is another option, which I did before the tonearm gave out on it when I was loving with styluses. I tried once before I bought a pad to see if it could really damage a record, and sure enough it put a big surface scrape about the size of a nickel on the side it dropped onto the platter. The record was that brand-new, just out of the shrink wrap Xiu Xiu album that's now being listed at $70+ sealed. But gently caress it, and gently caress speculators and collectors. All I care about is listening to music.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a game soundtrack on vinyl? I mean that isn't GTA.

This is true for every game soundtrack except for Streets of Rage because it's loving awesome. It ends on a locked groove loop with the item pickup sound effect, also the tracks aren't just game rips they're fully redone/remade/remastered and they sound great.

And Streets of Rage in general loving rules so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Also, gently caress Half Price Books for having 3 new copies of RSD Man Who Sold The World for $30 a pop.

I think MSRP is like $24 so it's not that big of a markup. It's funny though that there are copies still online readily available for the regular price, Discogs has over 100 copies of it.