Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

pimpmaster spaceman posted:

I need some advice here:

I just recently won a competition from EMI Sessions on Facebook, and received two Record Store Day records, the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations / Heroes and Villains" single, and Deep Purple's "Hush / Speed King" 7" (picture here). The problem is that my record player only has two speeds: 33⅓ and 45 rpm. The Beach Boys single is 78 rpm. So I can't play it. My question is: What is the best method for me to sell this record? I've thought of selling it on eBay, but I figured that if I do that, I'd be lucky if I got a fraction of what it was worth. I've also thought of getting it in to my local record store. What should I do?

Record stores will give you between 30 and 50 % of what they'll sell it for, typically. If you want money, go eBay, although since this is a pretty recent RSD release you might have trouble finding a buyer in the first place since they're still all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

BigHustle posted:

I forgot about that scene. The short time I worked at a record store (way before the movie) my old boss was the skinhead version of Barry. Some kid came in asking for some No Doubt album. Scott asks him why he he says 'I like ska.' Scott then chases the kid out of the store screaming about how No Doubt isn't ska and he'll show him some REAL ska.'

I went record shopping the other day with a friend who just dropped a ton of money on a vintage system but only wants to buy 7 inches because a) they're cheaper and b) he only likes a couple of songs off most albums. (Yes, I know this is why iTunes was invented, but whatever).

Imagine going to curmudgeonly record store owners with THAT explanation.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

milk teeth posted:

flippin thru lps at value village this morning & up comes:

Fela Ransome Kuti w/Ginger Baker & Africa '70 - Live!

English press w/insert ~undamaged~ $2

:slick:

The only time I ever came across this it looked like someone had used it as a cutting board. Nice find!

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I answered an ad for an estate sale the other day. I show up there and it's a grim-rear end building full of old people; this man's mother died and he was getting rid of her stuff. So far, so good. She had tons of records in great shape, but they were poo poo like Mitch Miller, Kitty Wells, Vic Damone, etc. There were a couple of Sam Cooke and Sinatra records I wanted, and the guy told me he wouldn't let them go unless I bought everything for $500.

He claimed it was easily worth 2000 bucks but he wanted to get it out of there ASAP. It was literally 90% thrift store crap.

Who knows.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Any decent record store will also have those albums. I'm not trying to give you poo poo, but I think it's better to encourage people to shop at locally owned record shops. They not only need it more, but they actually appreciate you shopping there. This is why I often name drop the places in my area. They all need and want your business. Chain stores at the mall couldn't care less if you died in the parking lot.

And if you're ever in Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI check out the Armageddon Shop.

Yes, I worked in a plug and I don't even care, that store is awesome.

I agree with the provision that once in a while you can get records for 3 - 4 dollars at Hot Topic. I'm in Canada, so it doesn't apply to me, but I've known of some ridiculous 80% clearance there.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe in the bigger cities but Winnipeg ain't got poo poo.

I think the only one is in downtown Toronto a.k.a the only part of Canada that matters to people from Toronto.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Well, it's still cheaper than the reissue.

I got the crazy-rear end bound reissue of Still for 11.99 in an Amazon blow-out sale. :c00lbert:

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wow, I didn't know they were making 45s for Jukeboxes into the late 90s early 200s like that. That's really a pretty big surprise.

I'm even more surprised that a thrift store had all of that lying around as opposed to scuffed, unplayable Mitch Miller records.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Arthur for a dollar is a hell of a find.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

wa27 posted:

I actually am really unfamiliar with The Kinks so I hadn't heard of any of those albums. I knew I liked when I had heard of their 60s stuff, these were all late 70s/80s (Arthur had no date) so I figured they were crap. I ended up buying them for the hell of it and got to listen to Arthur before reading anything about it. :aaa: What a great album.

Does it have the sweet/creepy kangaroo lyrics insert?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
If I recall, the first pressing of the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack had some sort of manufacturing problem which meant a bunch of copies were pulled right before release. I'm not entirely sure if they sent replacements or what happened, but it resulted in a much more limited run that anticipated.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Does anyone here have a copy of You're A Woman, I'm a Machine by Death From Above 1979 they would be willing to sell? I have been looking for this for years and don't really wanna pay some ridiculous price. If anyone has a record store near them that they know has it, please please please get it for me and I will give you monies.

I'm not familiar with this band at all, but I think a record store near me has this. Looking at their discography, though, it looks like they released quite a few things with variations of the same cover so I can't guarantee that it was the pink cover and not one of the many 12'' singles with a different colored cover. Next time I'm in there I can check for you.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

There's an amazing record shop in Evanston, IL that I love going to because not only do they have bins full of records I've never seen in the flesh before, but they only buy seriously immaculate stock. IMMACULATE. I feel guilty even going through all the crates, like I'm diminishing the condition even looking at it. I hate to buy anything there because there's two premiums- one for being obviously obscure hard to find releases, the other for being pristine M/NM although they don't even claim they're mint.

Is this Vintage Vinyl? They have a Discogs shop and I swear they have 8 or 9 things that I would love to have for at least 20$ more than anyone else on Discogs.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

That font on the Paul Simon record has always weirded me out. It looks like it belongs on a movie poster. And not the sort of movie that Paul Simon would be anywhere near.

That's because it is a movie! A terrible, mopey Paul Simon movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

izationalizer posted:

In other news, Jawbreaker's "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" is gonna get reissued on Oct. 14. I already have it, but I might pick it up if the sound quality happens to be improved. It's about drat time for that thing to get reish'd, too; I always thought it was weird that Blackball reissued all of their albums except for that one, although there might have been some logical reason for that, I guess.

I bought a sealed copy that I believed to be a re-press in 2007 or 2008 from Generation Records in NYC. Either it was bootlegged or they had some kind of old stock they dug out, but I only paid like 13$ for it.