Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

TheForgotton posted:

I managed to find a sealed copy of The Who's Tommy in a thrift store this weekend.

This is a Decca pressing (DXSW 7205). I'm not sure if it's really worth anything, as there are a couple of breaks in the shrinkwrap and scuffs to the jacket where it's exposed, but I snagged it anyways since it's guaranteed to be unplayed. Should I put this aside and find one from ebay to listen to?

Pretty sure this is another common one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Vintersorg posted:

We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though,

What? yes we do

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Socket Ryanist posted:

Can someone recommend a good turntable/cartridge for archiving (recording records to digital) that will cost me around 4-500 total?

You'd have to double that figure.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Maybe if he's planning on doing this for a museum, university, or someone looking to reissue these recordings. If it's for his own personal use I don't see the need for something that expensive. Other than personal preference, maybe.

He said "good" turntable and cartridge for archiving. That would run about $5000-$7500 normally, but can be done for about $1000.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

And it's gonna get worse. All this stuff that's recorded digitally... who's holding onto it? Who's taking care of it. Hard drives fail. CDs fail. I know Island used to make analog backups, but who knows if they still do. What happens if the software they used becomes archaic and nobody has a working copy? What happens when the last of some of these digital tape machines break down? You literally have a good chunk of the 1980s best music sitting on tapes that can only be played on one machine.

I don't understand the problem with digital files; they are backed up with speed and ease. This is how digital piracy is such a problem. Copy the files to a number of secure places and there you have it. Why would nobody have a working copy of Pro Tools at any point in time, the most popular recording software? I'm sure before or at the time that Pro Tools or what have you gets discontinued, there will be more than enough warning and compatibility.

As far as digital tapes, they will continue to get pretty hosed up. But as the master multitracks and stereo mixdowns for historic recordings get digitized in high-res PCM or DSD, they become the definitive masters instead.

Ron Burgundy posted:

That's the great thing about analog. In the distant future someone can pick up a tape and say "Ok, this thing ran across a magnetic head at 15ips" and then go build something to play it back because the signal is not encrypted. Hell they'd probably figure out the speed after a while anyway. If they picked up a digital tape they couldn't figure out how to play it back just by looking at it.

What the gently caress. Are we supposed to be designing the next Lady Gaga record for Martians or something? Is magnetic tape expected to survive the apocalypse?

Cheesus posted:

Don't even get me started on this upcoming "super deluxe" edition of Nevermind...

What about it? Has someone heard it? Is it as bad as it probably is expected to be? There's always the MFSL CD.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 23, 2011