Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Snowy posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but is there any way to see where each record is being sold and for how much?

There's a couple on there I wouldn't mind having if I don't have to move very many muscles.

Bull Moose has MSRP list:
http://www.bullmoose.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=258&deptnr=237

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Cosmic Horror posted:

Joyful Noise just posted a Holiday SnowFlexi by Kishi Bashi: https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/kishi-bashi-holiday-flexi.html

I saw Kishi Bashi opening for of Montreal this year and got 151a at the show. The SnowFlexi was an instant buy for me + the proceeds go to charity.

I'd never heard of Kishi Bashi before seeing this, but I couldn't live without it. drat you, charity + creative packaging death-combo for stealing my money!

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I don't really care where anyone orders from, but I got a Debut Carbon from InSound a couple months ago during a 20% (?) off sale. It got backordered, but did ship and was packed well. I never had any reason to contact them after that, but FWIW, I was satisfied.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

stay depressed posted:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II

I bought one of these and never looked back. I listen to punk and hardcore almost exclusively which means I'm constantly changing speeds. It also will regulate it to 33/45 so no more "Hmm is this playing just slightly too fast?" kind of poo poo. I got really really loving tired of lifting the platter off and changing the belt.

Did you notice any difference in sound quality? I've been happy with my Debut Carbon (coming from a beat-up old low-range Technics), but occasionally I hear what I assume to be motor noise if it's a very quiet intro or whatever. It could be because it's just sitting on my wood cabinet with no vibration dampening, but I think I've heard some people say the speed box eliminated similar situations. I also secretly want the acrylic platter replacement (somewhat just for the looks, but also because random internet people seem to say it'll sound better), but I'm not sure how smart it is to spend $120 on various upgrades for a ~$400 player.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I Might Be Adam posted:

Ehh, I'm good. I don't $70 need it.

Doesn't RSD usually show prices for the day's releases or is that up to the individual record stores?

I $30 need it :(

Bullmoose has prices listed on their RSD page, if that helps.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Didn't someone sell some records to someone that turned out to be Henry Rollins a while back? I had my own brush with fame in used vinyl sales recently when Elijah Wood bought a couple Buffalo Daughter records off me for $15 on Discogs.com. Nothing caught my attention about it at the time until the woman at the post office asked me if it was the Elijah Wood.

Turns out it was. I guess he's a part-time DJ, so that's cool. Hopefully he enjoys spinnin' my records in Middle Earth.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Ugh, glad I resisted temptation on the Shaolin Soul Selection and Ghostface releases. What scumbags (or totally incompetent buttheads with terrible judgment for putting out more records while leaving so many unfulfilled).

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

david puddy posted:

Discoooogs! :argh:

Totally VG+, bro.

My new-from-Amazon copy of the 3xLP Marley soundtrack was almost that warped. It does play fine though, weirdly. I woulda returned it, but it was a gift and oh well'z.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

landofcake posted:

So I actually went for a record fair for the first time on Saturday and picked up some neat stuff ...

Just curious what the U.F.Orb set you back? I've been waiting for an affordable-ish (sent to U.S. anyway) 3xLP version to show up on discogs. GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Bull Moose has started their Record Store Day Black Friday listing page. I assume a lot more will be added - so far my wallet will stay safely closed.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I sold my first record to an overseas buyer via discogs.com over the weekend. Today I shipped it to Austria from the U.S. and it cost $22. Uhhh, does that seem right? (Just USPS first class international, maybe I should have gotten a different, cheaper rate from the post office woman?)

I had $13 + 3/item listed as my overseas shipping charge, which I had copied from a seller or two some time back. At least it was sold for $35, so I still made some money on the deal, but I guess I need to adjust those rates.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Scruffeh posted:

Howdy folks. I'm somewhat curious if anyone else ordered any re-issues of the Boards of Canada discography. My copy of Geogaddi came with a holographic poster and some themed stickers which sparked my curiosity about the other releases and if they had anything different. I know the Music Has the Right To Children release has a Skam Braille Sticker but nothing is listed for the Campfire Headphase.

I only got Geogaddi myself so far, but I didn't notice any holographic poster with my set. Did you preorder through Bleep? (I didn't and got it from bullmoose.com.)

edit:
I see on Bleep.com, this description for the goodies:

quote:

'Music Has The Right To Children' (WARPLP55R) - 2 x LP Gatefold Vinyl - 140g pressing cut from original metalwork. . Like the original pressing this does not include Happy Cycling which appears on the currently available CD.
Includes Skam braille sticker and transparent blue Boards of Canada sticker.

'Geogaddi' (WARPLP101R) 3 x LP Gatefold Vinyl - 140g pressing recut by Noel Summerville from original DAT master. Includes etching on side F.
Includes sticker sheet with hexagon die cut stickers.

'The Campfire Headphase' (WARPLP123R) 2 x LP Gatefold Vinyl - 140g pressing cut from original metalwork.
Includes circular blue sticker.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 23, 2013

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Bull Moose has a vinyl sale going today. It's not quite oldies.com levels of awesomeness, but some good prices on random things. They're putting up Record Store Day leftovers in the next couple hours too.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

david puddy posted:

Yeah, Discogs is good like that. I got Mike Oldfield's London 2012 Olympics thing for $45 on Discogs when they'd already been selling on eBay for over $300.

It's a great feature, but I wish discogs had better filtering for that stuff though. I've got 76 items on my wantlist, but I'd like to wait for US sellers for almost all of them - I wish I could filter by currency, location, or under a certain price threshold. I also don't like that some sellers re-list, or otherwise do some shenanigans, to trigger the item being listed as a new listing — ie, the same three 45s from the same seller show up five times per week for me.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

smackfu posted:

I really don't think Sears plans on shipping my Beck preorder.

I didn't order that through them, but I did order two in-stock records (which arrived quickly and perfectly) + a pre-order not due until May (didn't realize it was so far off). Has anyone who preordered anything got theirs, or should I try to cancel and just get from a regular source?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I have no idea what half that stuff is, but it sure is pretty. Austin Psych Fest is about 90% of the reason I'd ever want to visit Texas.

My RSD consisted of visiting Newbury Comics in Harvard Square in Massachusetts around an hour after opening, waiting in line for ~40 minutes, then realizing both records I really wanted (Flaming Lips and Tame Impala) were sitting in end-of-aisle displays the whole time. I grabbed both and took off, which made the people behind me pretty happy, as there was still 30+ minutes between them and actually seeing the vinyl/RSD section.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm not particularly into Jack White, but this record reaches new heights of gimmickry and practically demands a spot on my shelf. Except I can't play that 78rpm hidden track :arghfist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

caiman posted:

So evidently cleaning vinyl with wood glue is a thing. I'm sure everyone here knows about this already, but have any of you actually tried it?

I've done it on a couple dozen records and been pretty pleased with the results, with no real downsides I experienced. In some cases, I think the records sounded better. In others, they didn't sound better, but looked a little shinier - so there's that, I guess. I only did it on my dirtiest records. But as long as you're careful and relatively patient waiting for them to dry, I say give it a shot.

*edit*
I should add that I don't have any other method for cleaning records, so don't have much to compare it to.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 13, 2014

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

BigFactory posted:

Now that we have the bad jokes out of us, are there any labels that have record clubs where you sign up and they just send you random poo poo? And if so what are good ones? I like all kinds of music so style doesn't matter. And collectibility doesn't matter either. I just want to hear new stuff and get surprises in the mail.

Numero Group has a subscription, but I've been too poor to go for it (although I now see you can skip releases when you want, which is pretty awesome).

I was just thinking about how I wished Trouble in Mind had one, as I'm liking pretty much everything they're putting out these days (with particular recommendations for Morgan Delt, Jacco Gardner, and Greg Ashley).

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I haven't combed through it yet, but a few pages of browsing shows there are some pretty good deals in this Insound 50% off sale.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

caligulamprey posted:

Every once in awhile, just for a chuckle I check Discogs for how much Devil Doll vinyl is going for and I laugh and laugh and laugh.

If only I had $500 just lying around in little piles.

I finally had to remove Beck's Sea Change from my wantlist, because I got depressed seeing new listings (or the same ones repeated over and over again) for $300 everyday. :chillpill:

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

1000 umbrellas posted:

No one should be without the albums that are important to them!

A couple pages back, I complained about the crazy increase in price for available copies of "Sea Change" by Beck. 1000 umbrellas took pity on me and hooked a brotha up for the original price (having an extra copy). A truly super dude. I came back home after an exhausting few days to see:

He kindly slipped a copy of "Chemtrails" in there (I'd forgotten what a great track that is) and my copy of "Beyond the Black Rainbow" and Tycho's "Past is Prologue" had also arrived.

In a strange coincidence, I had problems fitting both Black Rainbow and the Tycho record in the sleeves I've used to hold countless other double (and even triple) LPs. Black Rainbow just has a super-thick spine and I ended up having to fit it in backwards. The Tycho album is a nice 2LP package with printed inner sleeves, but is thick, very stiff, and not very glossy, so nothing slides easily. The slits on the gatefold are also very thin, so hard to fit the records in. Oh well - a weird situation, but I suppose deal and today I'm a happier man. Thanks again, 1000 umbrellas! :slick:

All this helps soften the blow of the loss of my "Endtroducing..." a few weeks ago after my wife dropped it from a few feet off the ground and it somehow immediately broke.

You win some, you lose some.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

wa27 posted:

That 2001 gatefold looks really cool. I didn't even know there was an unused score for that movie.

That is cool. Obviously the record should be a monolith-shaped slab of vinyl though :colbert:

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I guess the full list will be out next week, but here's a preview of some Record Store Day Black Friday:

Jenny Lewis will release the "Pax-Am Sessions" 7", which includes alternate versions, produced by Ryan Adams and Mike Viola, of "Just One of the Guys" and "You Can't Outrun 'Em" from her latest album, The Voyager

Mastodon will release a 12" picture disc of "The Motherload" that comes backed with an instrumental version of "Halloween"

Conor Oberst will release a 7" single of the unreleased songs "Standing On The Outside Looking In" b/w "Sugar Street", both of which were recorded during the sessions for this year's Upside Down Mountain

The Flaming Lips will release Atlas Eets Christmas, a Christmas album previously released on limited CD under the pseudonym Imagene Peise, on transparent red vinyl

OutKast will release a translucent green 10" single for "Player's Ball", the first single from their debut album, 1994's Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, backed by a "rare extended version"

Wu-Tang Clan will release a die cut picture disc single for "C.R.E.A.M." that's backed by "The Mystery Of Chessboxin'" and will be cut in the shape of the group's logo

Other releases include one from David Bowie (the "Sue" 10"), Aaliyah (Age Ain't Nothing but a Number on white vinyl 2xLP), Miles Davis, Bessie Smith, and the Kinks (Muswell Hillbillies deluxe 2LP).

*edit*
And Bull Moose has some more releases and prices...

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 16, 2014

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

trdn89 posted:

Any of y'all like Temples? Apparently they commissioned Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve to remix their entire album, then they pressed up 800 vinyl copies with a sick lenticular sleeve and shipped all of them to Rough Trade. My copy showed up today and the whole package is really pretty stunning; I'd recommend picking one up if you're into the band at all.

These are cool remixes; it was the first I've heard of Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve and now having heard their other stuff, I realize that it's all pretty awesome. Looks like Bull Moose has it for $18, which is really tempting. Urgh! While money is always a concern, the main thing I think about now is, "will I really have room for this in my record shelf?" :(

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 27, 2014

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

wa27 posted:

I found the best custom cover art today at Goodwill. Super high res images ahead.

I haven't listened to it, but it's just a local band. Probably nothing special. I really just bought it for the cover.

Amazing. All reissues should come with modified artwork like this.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Sigur Ros Agaetis Byrjun and Von are being rereleased on vinyl. Preorder’s up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Agaetis-Byrjun-Sigur-Ros/dp/B00QN2OKAU/

http://www.amazon.com/Von-Sigur-Ros/dp/B00QN2OLXQ/

$32 after tax for Agaetis. :shepspends:

Those are both $24.97 from bullmoose.com (free shipping on orders over $25) if you like saving money and supporting cool music stores.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/17300674/sigur-r%C3%B3s-agaetis-byrjun-150-gram-vinyl-2lp

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/17300796/sigur-r%C3%B3s-von-150-gram-vinyl-2lp

Also, there's a very early and incomplete Record Store Day list out there if anyone is into that sorta thing.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Thanks for the IKEA NORNÄS tip; I hadn't heard of those before. I have a custom-made cabinet thing I use for storage now, but it's reached capacity and I might need an alternative sooner or later.

In other news, the Record Store Day official release list came out (here's a PDF). It looks like I can resist pretty much all this, so I'll be keeping my money! :wave:

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Snowy posted:

Vinyl trash update: new load today, this time strewn all across the sidewalk. This guy really must not like his own releases! I guess I don't either, all the 7"s I picked up yesterday are the wishy-washiest of light pop.

Yeah that's probably dog poo poo in the green bag.

This is loving awesome.

*edit*
To add some actual content, I preordered the new Ghostface Killah & BADBADNOTGOOD album and it was apparently delivered at my house, but then was stolen before I got home. I get a package or two delivered every week and never have problems. Why did you steal my precious colored vinyl, O Jerkwads? And Bullmoose.com is nice enough to take pity and is sending me another one :love:.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 2, 2015

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

A pretty good 30% off sale on everything at insound.com right now if you're into that kinda thing. Includes turntables and all that kinda stuff too.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I went to the Solid Sound Festival in western Massachusetts this weekend. A great atmosphere (all over the grounds of a contemporary art museum), some good music (Cibo Matto, Real Estate, Wilco), and they had a pop-up record store/book shop from Euclid Records, based in St. Louis & New Orleans. A surprisingly good selection, I was particularly intrigued with the Pink Floyd bootleg selection - probably had about 6 or 8 different live recordings.

I ended up with this one, Nocturnal Submission. $50 is pretty steep, but I've never seen these before in person, I love this era of Pink Floyd, and while the sleeve is pretty dinged up, the records look unplayed.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

A cautionary tale:

That Pink Floyd bootleg I was so happy to find at the Solid Sound Festival? I got interrupted while playing "Echoes," so I stopped it and figured I'd come back to it shortly thereafter. Blah blah blah, I left it on my turntable a couple days, and that's what I came back to. I recently moved to a temporary location, and a big windowsill area is the only place for my music gear at the moment. It's in the sun, but I figured since the record was lying flat on my Pro-Ject's acrylic platter, even if it got a little wobbly in the heat, it'd stay flat anyhow. Boy, was I wrong.

Now I know :(

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

stay depressed posted:

do you live on the surface of the sun?

Massachusetts is about equidistant between the Australian outback and the Sun. It hasn't even been especially hot... Maybe my front windows are made from magnifying glasses.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Attention soundtrack weirdos: Daft Punk's TRON: Legacy is apparently being reissued next month for $40 and you can preorder it on amazon.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I was excited to see this news that more Pink Floyd reissues are coming soon, but then saddened to see they're using the inferior stereo mix of Piper at the Gates of Dawn instead of the superior mono mix. It was released on CD as both mono/stereo in 2007 and in 1997 a deluxe mono reissue came out, but that's currently $90+ on discogs. Original mono releases are much more unreasonably priced. Waah~

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Important soundtrack-related update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLuvkcV2oi4

I have no interest in owning the Star Wars soundtrack on vinyl, but I do want TIE Fighter holograms on all my records going forward.

Unrelated: does anyone else feel obliged to buy something when you go to a relatively small record store? I've never gotten pressure from workers there, but it feels weird to spend 30 minutes digging around the store and then walking out totally empty-handed. "Nope, didn't see anything at all here." Sure, I went in looking for non-lovely-repressings of Iggy Pop's The Idiot and Lust for Life, but I guess I'll walk away with this new copy of King Tubby Meets The Upsetter - At The Grass Roots Of Dub out of an unwritten code of politeness...

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

At first I thought, "OK, that's a lot. But I feel like I've seen worse collectors out there." But then I noticed this button:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Have had it go both ways with amazon warping/bent corners, but it's been a while since I've gotten records there.

When I'm not buying direct, I usually get from https://bullmoose.com which has everything and for good prices.