Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Will they have them on the tour? I'll just snag them there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is an album made in 2014 even going to sound good on vinyl?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I meant better than CD or MP3 because they're all recorded digitally, for the most part.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Most CDs tend to be mastered too loud which can destroy the nuances of a the recording. A lot of people don't identify this as one of the reasons, but this is a thing that makes people say vinyl records sound better.

Aren't the vinyls using the same master most the time?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Not the good ones. If you're looking to avoid that kind of thing it's a matter of knowing what you're buying. Also if you're buying old pressings of things then you know it's not going to be from a CD master.

How would I know if an album made today is going to be using a separate master? Is there a website or something to look for on the package? I know MoFi takes care of doing specific things for vinyl.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Have no idea who they are but snagged because I love drums and documentaries.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I've just been buying the stuff I like on vinyl. I don't even own a record player.

I'll probably get the one that the OP recommends.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I love to collect stuff and know that I someday will have a record player so I figure I may as well get them now (especially if they're limited) and use the download codes. Basically, I was going to buy a download code or CD anyway; why not just the vinyl that comes with a DL code?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Most of the stuff I buy: weezer, Decembrists, arcade fire, superchunk, etc. is maybe like $5-10 more.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Looking to get my first player. What of the technics 1200 line is the best to snag? Any help/advice?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
You guys make me spend a lot of money. This record is a real chill listen. Can't wait to hear it all remixed.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

iluvpr0n posted:

These are cool remixes; it was the first I've heard of Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve and now having heard their other stuff, I realize that it's all pretty awesome. Looks like Bull Moose has it for $18, which is really tempting. Urgh! While money is always a concern, the main thing I think about now is, "will I really have room for this in my record shelf?" :(

Is this the same thing though?

http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/87761
http://www.bullmoose.com/p/17127291

The description makes it sound like it's the same thing but the Rough Trade site says they are limited and exclusive to Rough Trade. What's the deal?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm honestly pretty devastated I didn't get that guardians tape

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah I can't stop snagging vinyl :-(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If you have stuff like AJJ then yes I would be interested. PM me a list.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

It's always funny to me when I see people flip over AJJ because I live in Phoenix and I saw them open for a friend's band at The Trunk Space (a living room-sized venue downtown) in late 2013 for that band's 10th anniversary without lnowing who they were. I mean they were good but I feel kinda dickish for not realizing people would kill for that opportunity.

I meant if he likes that band there is a good chance he has other stuff I would be into.

But yes I want that record and yeah I like AJJ thought I only got into them on their last album which I liked a ton. Seeing them twice in Cali with Jeff Rosenstock and Smith Street Band. Oh, and chumped will be there.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I want to like Neil so bad. I love built to spill and vocally they get compared a lot.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

trdn89 posted:

Anybody in this thread who likes stuff like Todd Rundgren or 10CC ought to check out Danny James' Pear in the biggest hurry imaginable. Colored vinyl is still available as I'm posting this, but my guess is that it's not going to last for very long. Pop-up cover, too!

This thread makes me spend money I don't have :-(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I dunno I like buying saves the day vinyl because I was told it sounds better

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Are you 14

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
all the dumb dad rock that can be bought for 5 cents that gets posted in here and u picking on ben folds

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My girlfriend got me my first record player for our anniversary. It's a really cool wood panel ion brand one. So happy to finally be able to my gigantic previously unplayable collection, haha.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
(poorly)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Macintosh HD posted:

I'd just like to know if this turntable is worth keeping once I have some records. If it's okay, I'll use it while searching for something better. If not, I'll just hold off. I think it's a valid question since it has been stated that bad turntables will ruin records.

I'm not really sure why these people are being so indirect and unhelpful but you shouldn't risk it. If you just want to listen to cool records (no idea what they meant by type, either) google something like best record players, etc. and buy one of those. Vinyl is super en vogue right now so $100 can get you exactly what you're looking for.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I had worse luck: GZA's liquid swords B side was Maroon 5. Returned that poo poo the same day.

Would have kept it. Both of those sides make one amazing sex record.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I gently caress to maroon 5 but then again I am Adam Levine.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for churches just pretended I spelled it right

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Are they a good band? I think I always wrote them off

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
jesus christ I thought the amy winehose posting was sad

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Whatever reissue comes with earplugs

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
why the gently caress would you buy a game soundtrack on vinyl? I mean that isn't GTA.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Technics made other good turntables than the 1200s. Is that one of them I dunno

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
How do you clean records? My mine craft album is acting up.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I think I'm more comfortable with someone paying for a video game ost than a Godsmack album tbh

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol dude gave so many warnings like "hey this music prolly isn't your thing just wanted to post some pics" and Still the only thing people talked about was the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Cool thanks mondo 80.bucks for a record I get to gently caress up.