Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

Are there any legit great bands with two bassists? All I can think of are jazz/prog/metal dudes showing off like a bunch of buttholes or jam band type stuff, all of which I'd file more as a gimmick than a necessity.

cop shoot cop, black eyes, delta 5, flipper, girls against boys

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Anyone got some hot tips on record shopping in Chicago?

gramaphone, kstarke, logan hardware

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 25, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

and if you like dance music check out 1080p and not not fun sublabel 100% silk

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh and where to now and beer on the rug and orange milk

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Cabernet Sovereign posted:

Any record stores in Berlin worth checking out? Close to city center is a plus.

hard wax

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

fabio frizzi, james bernard, howard shore's cronenberg scores, coil - unreleased themes for hellraiser, broadcast - berberian sound studio ost

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

big haul today

l-r

a made up sound - thin air (delsin)
umfang - riffs (1080p)
shackleton - deliverance series vol 3 (woe to the septic heart)
omar-s - side trakx vol 5 (fxhe)
ekranoplan - wing in surface effect (all caps)
wiley/zomby - step 2001 (big dada)
ekman - entropy (the trilogy tapes)
rezzett - doyce (the trilogy tapes)
gunnar haslam - porte maillot (l.i.e.s.)
dj richard - leech2 (white material)
rhythm & sound - we been troddin (burial mix)
mix mup - skip intro (the trilogy tapes)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

stay depressed posted:

yeah because metal is good

yeah because those records are good

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Elrobot posted:

it was cool when Wierd Al got to tour Europe for the first time because GS!YBE invited him to ATP

lol hell yea

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

sick

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Lungs posted:

Inexpertly photographed pickups from recent weeks. Quit drinking for a while, so I was able to afford more new records than usual.

People of the North - Sub Contra
The Body/Full of Hell - One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache
Girlschool - Hit & Run
Ben Frost - Aurora
Huerco S - Colonial Patterns
Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor
Johnboy - Pistolswing
Sex Swing - S/T
Rangda - The Heretic's Bargain
Oneida - A List of the Burning Mountains
Purling Hiss - Weirdon
Wrekmeister Harmonies - Light Falls

good poo poo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

didnt get down to the store last month so heres two months worth

equiknoxx, demdike stare, shinichi atobe
elmo crumb (call super), anthony naples, slack djs (dk & low jack)

laurel halo, call super, anthony naples/hank jackson
takuya matsumoto, ital & aurora halal, rrose

beatrice dillon, karen gwyer, leif
anthony naples, joy o & boddika, giegling label comp

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

its being released on lies, which is primarily a house/techno label but they dip in to noise and ambient, and they've put out eric copeland/black dice before. ron morelli, the label head, is a new york scene og and presumably he and copeland go back.

Toe Rag posted:

Thanks. I don't really understand the house music scene, though. I turned this on and walked away from my computer. After this finished, soundcloud started playing "related" tracks. At first I thought it was part of this, and I was having second thoughts about buying it. My coworker listens to house music, and whenever I'm in his car, it's just the newest edition of a 2-hour long podcast. No albums, no songs, no artists. I don't get it.

most podcasts aare mixes by djs and obscurity and anonymity are prized in the scene. some podcasts don't have tracklists because the djs are professionals and don't want trainspotters ripping them off (although those in the know suss them out on mixes.db) and sometimes producers will toss off a track on a limited white label. there are absolutely artists, songs, and albums involved in the most fundamental and conventional sense

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

speaking of which

rush hour has been teasing the ron trent box for a few years so it's nice to finally have it. super no frills, just six 12"s and liner notes. and i doubled up on basic channel stuff so i didn't get killed on shipping

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Mike_V posted:

I loving hate this and so should the artists whose music they refuse to ID.

To clarify, I don't demand a tracklist, but DJs who refuse to ID tracks at all are pricks imo

it's annoying for radio shows or mix series' but i mind it much less for live/soundboard recordings and the like

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

who gives a poo poo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Lungs posted:

Some recent pickups. Very stoked about the Lambchop album. My favourite record by one of my favourite bands. Picked it up for a fraction of what it goes for online too, which was nice.

Hail Homestead Records.

I need to be better at photographing records.

U-Men - Stop Spinning
Bastro - Diablo Guapo
Live Skull - Dont' Get Any on You
Staer - The Collapse Of Ancient Funk

The Sonora Pine - S/T
Roomrunner - Super Vague
VA - Helvete Underground Compilation (Swiss post punk/no wave label)
Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued

Sex Swing - S/T
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills
Erase Errata - At Crystal Palace
Merchandise - Children of Desire
Good

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey vinyl thread! Let's say you're in LA: what's a good place to pick up records? Like are there any particular thrift stores you might recommend? Feel kind of ashamed to admit this but I've never been to Amoeba. Is it a good store? Are there any other places I could check out? Got a little money in my pocket and I want to pick up some more records.

mount analog

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lots of good poo poo today

legowelt x2, nhk koyxen x2
1991, sueno latino & manuel gottsching (+ remixes), joy orbison, dillon/wendel (beatrice dillon & kassem mosse)
donato dozzy, dj sotofett, move d, theo parrish
xosar, jacques renault, theo parrish

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

funk_mata posted:

I really love those Grouper albums. Would you recommend I check out any of the other records you picked up based on that, or are the other records completely different?

as mentioned tropic of cancer is maybe the only one close to grouper. mayyyyybe marie davidson if you want to stretch it. but basically all of those records are good, though id say go for the rashad becker lp above all, its incredible. sounds like absolutely nothing else. the newish demdike is a good direction for them. the xosar is a good house/techno/acid lp. i thought azd was underwhelming but the levantis record is good (its also actress)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the price for new ones probably isnt going to drop appreciably any time soon and panasonic is actively ignoring the dj market in favor of the high end market but 1200s are a worthy investment in that if you buy a used pair off craigslist you will probably never need to buy another table in your lifetime. especially if you have any interest in djing.

the lp120 is a fine entry/mid level table (i keep one around because i like the usb out) but i wouldnt take it out of the bedroom

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it's an essential for anyone who collects or is interested in ambient/drone/noise

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i bought a ton of crap and took bad pictures of all of it and uploaded some without rotating but im too lazy to do it again so here are the ones that uploaded correctly

wolf eyes gently caress the old miami (hand etched/needle destroying b side)
james ferraro on air underwater peoples pressing
yellow swans/axolotl/gerritt
grouper the man who died in his boat
stellar om source trilogy select

up close because i didnt know this was red splatter

both volumes of rashad becker's traditional music of notional species & pans mono no aware comp which i bought last week but didnt know was a first pressing til i opened it today

and perhaps most importantly i picked this up for 50 cents

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it was priced for $25 sealed but the seller knocked $15 off the entire purchase (most of the stuff pictured plus and minus a few) when the total came out over $100

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

wa27 posted:

Weird, I've never seen that. Do they not allow the sale of bootlegs?

And if so.... who's snitchin'?

they have been cracking down on selling bootlegs on the marketplace. it's a recent development. speculation seems to be because it is bad for their metrics e.g. their most expensive items lists https://www.discogs.com/user/discogs/lists?header=1

https://twitter.com/CliveParadigm/status/888141113080639488

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

creme organization added a section to their webshop selling things banned from discogs https://global-darkness.myshopify.com/collections/banned-on-discogs

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Heading to Chicago for Riot Fest this weekend. Was last in Chicago five years ago and found loads of stuff at Reckless. Any other shops worth checking out?

gramaphone, kstarke, logan hardware, dusty groove

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

:thinkyface:

Moved up to NY state 4 weeks ago, double boxed and packed up all my LPs. Too heavy to fit into my car so everything except 3 boxes got put into the moving cubes. Gave away the big expedit back in TN, too. There's nowhere to actually shelve records, none of the boxes are labeled, and I don't expect to be in this apartment for over a year so everything's still boxed up and just stuffed in every closet. It's just 45s and whatever new poo poo I buy.

Record store up here is nice, plus there was a record show a couple of weeks ago. Compared to the stores I'd hit in the south, I'm seriously jealous of the stores UP NORF. Jazz sections with actual jazz, reggae sections that aren't just burnt UB40 and Aswad 12"s, etc etc.

Plus I found a box of 7s while moving that I thought I'd lost way back in the day. 1st leftover crack, spitboy, kakistocracy, some beer city nonsense etc etc

good poo poo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'll go a step further and say I hope anyone who buys that gets dysentery

agree

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lol at thinking anyone itt cares about david mancuso

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

idk anything about the mbdtf pressing info but considering how hot the digi/cd master sounds i wouldn't be surprised to find out they either didn't remaster it or did a lovely job because they knew it was going to sell regardless

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Koenjihyakkei (the lesser known but infinitely more fun band headed by Ruins' frontman/drummer, Tatsuya Yoshida) is releasing their first album in 13 years this month, and there's a Kickstarter to get a vinyl pressing going through Skingraft Records: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skingraftrecords/koenjihyakkei-dhorimviskha-double-lp-16-days-only

There's a week left and basically fully funded, so yay.

A song from the album that just got released for streaming: http://www.itdjents.com/it-djents-tv/exclusive-premiere-koenjihyakkei-djebelaki-zomn/

very cool ty

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Somehow I missed the fact it was 5 LPs, some long tracks but seems like they could have condensed it down better than that. Oh well. Guess I'll pay $50 now so I'm not paying 70-80 later.

idk i don't listen to his music but the 5th 12" is evidently a separate recording and squeezing a 2.5 hour album onto 3 12"s would pretty much invariably sound like crap

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

im moving to boston this weekend, does anyone have any info on good shops there? accessible by public transit is necessary since i won't have a car. i know about vinyl index, armageddon, in your ear, and rrr (in lowell but w/e)

i mostly buy house/techno, ambient/noise/drone/early electronic/musique concrete/modern classical/etc, reggae/dub/etc, jazz but mostly ecm / byg actuel

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i do not care about leyland kirby's music at all but i am glad that the boomkat/demdike stare guys continue selling it so they can also continue selling things i actually care about like equiknoxx and shinichi atobe

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Whoever Warp is using has been dropping the ball lately, the last of the Autechre NTS sessions LPs I received was totally warped

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Paul ReiserFS posted:

U got gears?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i had to look it up but i guess these are half speed masters like the previous reissues :sigh:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

im sure they sound fine and its probably less of an issue with his pop albums but who wants to listen to discreet music or ambient 1 spread across four sides??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

theyre also 2xlp 45 cuts for the new ones as well https://www.enoshop.co.uk/product/discreetmusiclplimited?filter=vinyl e: ah it looks like they have standard available too

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 16, 2018