Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I don't make a big deal about record shop owners. You just have to accept that anyone running a record store owner is either usually neurotic in some way, or is as cutthroat as a pawn shop owner.

You just have to deal with it. I only know of 3 record stores within 40 miles of me. There might be more, but I don't know where they are.
One is owned by black people, and is just like an expanded goodwill bin.
One is in a 60k population town, that has a great street location for what it is, but the demographics are horrible. The owner is pretty ADD and can seem rude sometimes because his attention is all over the place, but he's a good guy. He recently expanded his newer release selection, but unfortunately I seem to have different tastes in music from whoever he is buying the new releases for...
My favorite one here is inside of an art center that seems to be run by hippies, that is a converter mill. It's on the second floor and has an old style elevator that has pull down gates and you hold the up or down button continuously to move the elevator. It's got a really neat atmosphere and the owner of the record shop is perfect. He will chat if you chat with him, but doesn't try to be obnoxious at all. He's enthusiastic about records, almost like he's just in there shopping, too. Nicest guy ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Just got this in my email. Thank God.....

Dear Discerning Vinyl Consumer,

As you are no doubt already aware, the manufacture and distribution of high-quality phonograph records is a highly-nuanced and sometimes tricky business that is subject to any number of vicissitudes as the finely grooved discs travel along the path from their origin to you, the listener.

It has come to our attention that an unfortunately high percentage of folks who purchased the "Deluxe Box" edition of My Morning Jacket's Circuital discovered a most unfortunate condition of warpage on one or both of their green 12" LPs. That is why, in order to guarantee maximum value and listening pleasure, new pairs of brand-new, warp-free green LPs are being mailed out to all purchasers of the "Deluxe Box" free of charge. So watch your mailbox. And hold on to your gatefold sleeves and jackets, folks, you'll be needing those for your new discs.

We offer our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate circumstance, and we thank all of our partners in manufacturing and distribution for working hard to help us correct the situation. They all remain committed to delivering top-notch goods and we're glad for that.

We thank you for your patience and for giving us a chance to make things right. And enjoy the green LPs, we think they sound fantastic.

Sincerely,

ATO Records

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

yeah. I haven't decided what to do with my warped ones, yet. I can listen to them, but it requires too much antiskate and tonearm weight.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I know what you mean. I always make a point of stayin outta them there negro record shops, I tell you what. Half the time they ain't sellin nothin but that jungle music they all listen to! :bahgawd:

Wish they were selling jungle music.
It literally is a store full of goodwill music. No attempt of dad rock or rap lps. There is a bin of rap singles they price like lps.....

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My friend found a sealed Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction with the original cover yesterday at a yard sale for $1... He gave it to me today.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

big business sloth posted:

Why can't more places have turntables for listening before you buy? A place in portsmouth has like six boxes of "punk(?)" records, all artists I've never heard of, some really weird ones too (like one white heavy 10" that was just folded between cardboard with a bunch of ink scribbles on it, or an LP in a plain gray sleeve with just a number on the back, all labels just Side A and B with some numbers. what could it be??). I wanted to dive in and find out, but $4 for who knows what ain't my game.

You should tell the guy he needs a listening station.
You could get a lovely portable turntable as an alternative.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

cthulhukid posted:

Welp, finally had the Texas heat warp a record beyond playability in the mail. Probably lucky it hasn't happened more often, but guess I shouldn't skimp on media mail during the summer anymore :(

Yeah, I live in Alabama and have stopped ordering records, in the summer now, unless it's limited thing that I have to or I'll miss it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Are they going to be shipped relatively soon? Trying to order one for myself, but paypal has been processing it for like 5 minutes. I WILL HAVE THIS.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Snowy posted:

I'm looking to lighten up my collection by a couple thousand records and I'm trying to figure out the best sales site to use.

I've got 80s-90s punk, hardcore (nyhc, powerviolence, crust), ambient/experimental, harsh noise, a big collection of 70s-80s funk 45s, old school NY hip hop.. kinda all over the map but a lot of stuff on smaller labels that might not add up to instant ebay sales.

Amazon takes (if I'm getting this right) 33% on a $10 music sale. Gemm has a flat 13% fee, and I'm thinking I will set up shop there. I hear Gemm can be slow for making sales but maybe the stuff I have will take time to sell anyway.

Have any of you sold largish amounts of vinyl online?

I'd love to have a bunch of 80's-90's punk. Early melvins and operation ivy. Can I get a bulk discount? LOVE YOU MAN

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Love Like Blood posted:

I've been selling records on ebay with my dad for coming up a year now, and it's been a pretty fun and rewarding experience. My dad's collection literally takes up our house (the whole attic, a room, various piles around the place) and he has some stupidly rare stuff but he's forgotten most of what he's got so it's been interesting what he's dug up. I am hoping to get this set up as a proper business eventually, as I'd like to get my dad out of his current job which has caused him some serious bouts of depression over the last ten or so years so he can do something he actually loves. I've also been getting into collecting a lot more recently as well, mostly punk, especially 80's anarcho.

Anyway, to the point! Do many of you use ebay to buy/sell? I would like to hear some tips, or what you think is important when buying on there because I basically went into it blind and hoped it would go okay. I have learned quite a few things but you can never know enough.

I live in Alabama so I try to only use ebay as a buyer when temps are cool enough that my records won't melt in transit. I'd be paranoid about it as a seller, too, because the seller will probably get the blame for warped records. You might know more about packing them to avoid heat than I do if that's possible.

Also, do you guys have Who - My Generation (LP not single), Beatles - With the Beatles, Pink Floyd - Division Bell for sale? Those would finish off my studio discographies for those bands:)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Yes, I've had trouble. I live in Alabama, where it stays 90 degrees+ in the summer. There's no telling how hot it gets on delivery trucks if they stay parked awhile.

Being in England would help a lot. heh.

Too add, My Morning Jacket had to resend out the vinyl to everyone that preordered the special edition of their last album, because they got warped in transit.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I usually find if the outer is beat than so is the record. Especially, if the outer is separated.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

juicecube posted:

You don't live in Ontario do you? I passed up both the talk talk and gang of four records the other day at my local value village ..

What is wrong with you?!!!! lol.
I never see anything modern or punk at my local thrift stores.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

10$ for that... I think records leaned against the wall on a cheap ledge is uglier than cheap frames, but that's my opinion.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Talking about soundtracks reminds me, my favorite soundtrack isn't on vinyl as far as I know. The Crow soundtrack not being on vinyl tortures me.

Track List

Cure, The – Burn
Machines Of Loving Grace – Golgotha Tenement Blues
Stone Temple Pilots – Big Empty
Nine Inch Nails – Dead Souls
Rage Against The Machine – Darkness
Violent Femmes – Color Me Once
Rollins Band – Ghostrider
Helmet (2) – Milktoast
Pantera – The Badge
For Love Not Lisa – Slip Slide Melting
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult – After The Flesh
Jesus And Mary Chain, The – Snakedriver
Medicine (2) – Time Baby III
Jane Siberry – It Can't Rain All The Time

Some of these songs aren't available on vinyl at all, and I think some might not even be on any other CDs.

Any other normal cd releases that you guys would stomp puppies for that wasn't issued on vinyl? The temporary death of vinyl is the worst thing about the 90s.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It would be nice to be able to do it without SA, though, to reward the people reading the thread and not the people just refresh SAmart all day.
Maybe announce what you have here, then do everything else in pm or email?
Though, if you just want to sell to whoever will buy it, then yes make an samart thread and link it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/stack.JPG

My expidit is now on its side. Sucks that plastic sleeves make the spines unreadable.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/expedit.JPG

More hoarding...
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/moreclutter.JPG

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 22, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That Garrard Type A plays music but I have to get the platter going by hand. It seems the motor isn't strong enough to get it started on it's own anymore. I guess it's the motor's fault. I don't really know what to do.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MokBa posted:

Cosmicjim, maybe you should just start up a record shop with all that.

I live in a town that can't support 2 record shops. I don't want to compete with the one that's already here, because I consider the guy my friend, though I think I could do it better. Also, been considering opening a used video game store(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

I even own a store front in the downtown section of my city, but I cant decide if I want to put a store in it, sell it, or rent it out. I have a full time job that I'm not going to quit so I can run a second hand store.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MokBa posted:

I just can't believe anyone can have so many turntables all stacked on top of each other like that! There's not a single shop in my state that even has that many for sale.

I think I have 8 total. Though, I sold 3, and gave 3 broken ones to the local shop recently.
I have tons more of other old electronics though. My garage is disgusting.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Why do you do this?

HOARDING IS A DISEASE. DON'T JUDGE ME. Seriously, though. I can't pass up a bargain.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

WASDF posted:

and I was visiting my friends in Arizona where I used to live and found some of my mom's old records too.

Soundgarden - Screaming Life EP (first pressing!)
Soundgarden - Loud Love EP
Soundgarden - Flower EP
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have to Dance Some Have to Kill EP
The Cure - Fascination Street

I'm in love with your mom....

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tiny Faye posted:

Selling my receiver and X-posting this from the Boston thread (would rather not have to ship this that's all):

We upgraded over xmas and so my Onkyo TX-8255 needs a new home. Asking $150. It has a decent built in phono pre amp.

Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120128

Since this isn't SAmart, I feel completely justified in busting your balls for that price, for a private sell that wouldn't have ebay fees in our beloved vinyl thread, since it auctions for less shipped on ebay. Merry Christmas;) It is a nice receiver.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Have we had a conversation about removing stuff from turntable dust covers? I know that some of the sticker removal cleaners cloud cd jewel cases, and I can't remember if I read on here somewhere that they cloud dustcovers, also.

I'm giving my friend a turn table that has ancient tape stuck to it. it seems petrified and I'm not sure the best way to remove it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

JBRONSON posted:

im trying to save money so im not letting myself buy records for a while.
its killing me haha.

I'm trying to do that, also. But I just impulse purchased a record for 19$ shipped, yesterday.(Kinks - village green preservation society). I'm taking a chance on a record described as vg+. If it's worse than I hope, it will probably at least help curb me from buying used older records online for awhile:)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Horrorclaus posted:

Not sure if this is appropriate, but my family and I are clearing out the house and we have found a 4 foot tall stack of old vinyl records, mostly jazz, folk and classical. Is there a market for these, or should they just be tossed/ given away?

Every genre has desired records. It really requires some research of what you have to figure out what is worth money.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I too am posting to find affordable Tool....and maybe a florence and the machines album(I hate most female pop, but damnit I love florence + the machines.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I Might Be Adam posted:

A musician friend of mine asked me (as a musician) if I thought albums were necessary anymore. I told him that albums are very important to me, how I often missed out on digital singles that are released because I didn't hear about them and how I hated that my digital collection had a random song from a band that didn't fit anywhere. :argh: soundtracks! :argh:

I disagree with the idea that albums are the cause of so much hit and miss music/bands. If anything, the big record companies are the cause. "Let's sign this band with these two great singles. Who cares what else is on there, we're not selling those songs". If anything has ruined albums, it's the record industry and marketing bullshit. For me, albums are a window into a period of an artist/band. The next album sounds a bit different because time has passed and they've grown as an artist/band.

I dread the day that everything is iTunes download only because there won't be any albums, it will just be per song purchasing and your music collection will look like a giant shuffle playlist.

I got into vinyl because I missed the physical medium and artwork. Being a kid and buying a CD and going home and listening to it while reading all the liner notes and lyric sheets and all the artwork, it was awesome. Too bad CDs were still very blah for me because who has a CD Player at home anymore? I know I don't. I have a computer and once you dump the music on your computer, you kinda just toss the CD in a box, closet, shelf etc. I like that when I'm listening to a record, I can go over to my shelf, pull the record, place it on the player and set the needle down and listen to the whole drat thing.

It's the same with shopping. After a certain point I stopped buying CDs. I never went to a music store to look for new music. I only bought CDs at shows or online if I had to have something that I couldn't download. Now, I can go back to the hobby of actually looking through music at the store and making a day of it. It's fun.

I agree that it's the record companies and not band's fault for albums with one or 2 good songs and the rest crap. Lots of debut album are great, and then the band is under contract to make more, but they blow their load on the first album and don't have anything left to give.

Classic rock though is full of musicians that have kick rear end albums start to finish. I think late 70s is really when it started to become a problem, OR...bands that had that problem before have already faded into obscurity.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

theradiostillsucks posted:

Coincidentally, you can swap out "Kings of Leon" for "My Morning Jacket" in your first paragraph and it still works, though It Still Moves was enjoyable.

Every My Morning Jacket album is pretty unique from each other in my opinion. "Z" might be the most overall "same" record, but I still like it. I think the transformation from the original country rock sound comes from becoming more experienced musicians, in their case.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Didn't Radiohead put out one of their albums for free a few years ago and it ended up selling really well after that?

It wasn't "free". It was a name your own price sale on the digital format.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Raising prices is always a terrible way to make up for lower than hoped for sales. I see it everyday in the cafeteria at the factory I work at. They raise prices and less people eat there, so they raise prices to make up for lost sales, and the cycle seems to keep repeating. It's cheaper for me to eat fast food than the work cafeteria, and I don't mean ordering from the dollar menu:(

I see new records the same way. I buy maybe 1 or 2 NEW records a year because I don't want to pay 20$ for a new record. If they were closer to 10$, I'd probably buy 25-50 a year. And the prices probably scare lots of people away from getting into it in the first place.
Does this sound accurate, or am I just whining about records being too high?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Oh man, I clicked the link to see where the balloons have landed.....they are local to me!!!! If I wasn't married, with a full time job, was a college student, and didn't have two kids, I'd spend all of my free time hunting for them.(Just because I like doing stupid stuff(like getting married and having kids)).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's a type of hobbyist or collector that's just beyond anything that makes rational sense.

You'll always see them at record fairs or comic book conventions. They'll have a massive, 5" binder with just hundreds of pages of stuff to buy in an itemized list. For them, the hobby isn't about finding stuff you like or getting a great deal on a classic. It's about trying to own everything.

It's sad :/
This is going to be choppy. I'm going to write a bunch of choppy sentences and you can build whatever mental picture from it you want.
I don't think all of these people are the same. I collect records and retro video games. These aside from soccer are my things I do. I have 1000-1500 records at the moment. I managed to make myself dump off over 500 I knew I would never listen to. I love finding a good deal. If I see a record worth 15$+ for 5$- I'm going to pick it up. I can afford to do this. Some people waste money on food/beer/movies/vacation/prostitutes/car payments, I spend all of my extra money on records and video games.
I'm a collector by nature. As a kid until now I've always been a collector of something: action figures, comic books, baseball cards, oddly shaped pieces of limestone I'd find in my driveway.
I have studio discographies of almost every major classic rock star/band. I have a complete licensed nintendo set(I paid $1800 for one game.) All of this money I'm spending on records and video games are assets to me. Maybe I can't make all of my money back, but I feel I can make 70% of it back if I had to.

That being said, I'm not speculative. I don't overpay on new things, like the Jack White balloon record. Those people I can only assume, are hard core Jack White collectors, determined to have everything he releases, or have plenty of money and this just means a few less rounds of golf, or a shorter island vacation at most. If you are someone collects every Jack White release, and a handful of these are recovered, these opening weeks might be your best shot at getting them. You will probably be able to get them cheaper later, but is it worth the risk if you can afford it?

These sad people with binders, why are they sad? Because they dedicate more money to the hobby than you? Because they are serious collectors? Are coin collectors sad? Are antique collectors sad?

Some are smug they have huge collections. Some people are smug they have small collections of obscure poo poo. Some people are smug they have 1000$ turntable set ups in their 400 sq ft apartments. I don't want to vilify any type of collector, just because they have different kinds of collections or spending habits.
I'm not really down with collector hate.

This response wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just really a counterpoint, for those that don't really understand large scale or expensive collecting.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 14, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

RizieN posted:

I kind of feel like I've lost my mind considering all the records I've handled since being a little kid and then just now noticing it...

But I guess I just buy my vinyls and listen to them, I rarely inspect them unless the sleeve looks like poo poo and I want to make sure the vinyl will produce a decent sound.

I love you man, but yeah it's mind boggling that you didn't know those were there if you've been handling records for 20 years. It's ok though, man, it's about the music, not the labels and etchings:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I was not expecting to see a line of 70 people in front of a record store in Huntsville, Alabama a few minutes before they opened. I turned around and walked away.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Umbriago posted:

A few weeks ago I posted about taking early inheritance of my parents' records. Well I've just taken most of them to my place. It is a good day. :)

I'm exhausted from getting these boxes down out of the attic and carrying them to/from my car. Also, I don't know what my parents were smoking in the 70s but there's at least four copies of Ram in here.

How many IKEA Expedit units do you think will be needed to store all of this? (Plus about 15% more, then space for future acquisitions.) Gonna have to pick some up next week.

I probably have 70 records in each expidit square.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Will it spoil me posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I will edit it if so: I have a technics record player that I recently inherited. After I set it up it worked great, but the other day when I put a record on, the needle kept running over the record making a terrible noise. it is hard to explain what the needle does. It skips a lot of the record and it almost looks like the needle cant get in the groove. Any idea for a solution to this?

Your tonearm weight has been adjusted. You need to adjust the weight on the end of the tonearm to make the end with the needle heavier.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Converyor is a goon's band, and they sold an EP through bandcamp....

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

To add to the glass/heat record fixing method.
You don't want to do it any longer than you absolutely have to, to reduce groove damage. I would do this experiment to get it perfect....
I would take a worthless record and purposely warp it and let it cool to a natural temp. Then, when you are ready to fix the record you want to keep, I'd do the test record first, to help gauge the time better, because once it's hot enough to flatten, every bit of time after is extra unneeded groove damage. I might even do multiple test records, and they need to be the same weight as the keeper record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Got my Conveyor album today. Goons can be wonderful people. Autographed, original page of album notes, clear vinyl, beautiful gatefold cover, lyrics booklet. This package has everything for something that's not an expensive special edition.

I'm kind of sad that a lot of people might never hear the earlier Sun Ray EP even if Conveyor does find some decent success. I think it's really beautiful.