Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

My turntable completely crapped out on me today, unfortunately I also got a email from Paypal saying that they were permanently closing my account earlier this week, so no Ebay purchases.
Is insound or amazon my next best bet?

EDIT:
Will I regret splurging on this
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATLP120-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328982939&sr=1-2

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

chime_on posted:

just curious, why would they do that? I use paypal a lot, so it's concerning to think of them closing my account. You can spare the details if you'd like, but was it for something you deserved?

No, It was completely out of the blue :/

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Tiny Faye posted:

That seems really shady to be honest...have you checked your credit cards/bank accounts for anything fishy just to make sure?

Yeah and there isn't anything out of the ordinary, What really frustrates me is that
in the email I recieved, they don't say the exact reason for closing the account. It's unfortunate that Paypal has such a large foothold upon the smaller online market place :(

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Do you buy a lot of things on ebay? I think if you buy things too frequently, they'll shut your account down, or at least limit you because of some fraud prevention jazz. You might be able to get in touch with them and be like, "can I have my account back please?"

I had a spree of buying stuff, but that was a few months ago and I haven't really bought anything with Paypal since, besides Spotify Premium

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

theradiostillsucks posted:

Good luck. Paypal doesn't give a poo poo about their customers unless they're a business that keeps a hefty balance at all times. Any emails you send will be replied to with canned responses verbatim from help pages with no actual details pertaining to your inquiry. At least this has been my experience with the two PayPal disputes I've had on eBay.

I called any they basically gave me a "There isn't anything I can do about it, but you can contact blah blah blah and try to dispute it with them, Remember you will need your drivers’ license, your Social Security or tax ID card, a
current utility bill, your business license, your articles of
incorporation, or other identifying documentation."

:/
On another note I bought Thickfreakness yesterday, It's a picture disc too,
but then I forgot my turntable is broken.
Is this
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATLP120-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328982939&sr=1-2
a decent price?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

alg posted:

Honestly you can get a decent vintage turntable on Craigslist for 1/4 that price if you shop around.

My problem is the "quest" of it and just either not knowing brands well enough,
or not knowing/ being able to visually tell the condition. Is there a "checklist" of sorts one could use to make the quest for a vintage turntable easier?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah, good brands to look for include Thorens, Dual and Pioneer. Avoid things that look like they are constructed mainly of plastic and likewise avoid things that look too old as they will have an unacceptably high tracking weight, but at the same time if you see something like an old Garrard 4HF or similar cheap you should snap it up as they have good collector value (and are just plain sexy).

So, In terms of Dual's are there specific models to look for?
There is a Dual 506 fairly near that I may go snag.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

The 506 is a fine machine, It's one of the models where they lift the tonearm at the end of the record and shut off the motor but doesn't return, this is actually a very desirable trait. I'd expect it would be about $50-$70. Pull the trigger!

It's 50$ but it's obvious it's been on there for a while, I think I'll call and try to haggle them to 40$ tomorrow :)
Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
I told my grandmother that her old turntable that she gave me broke, just in conversation and she was really surprised it had been working this long and then was happy I was enjoying it and she bought me that audio technica. So, that's pretty cool.

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 13, 2012

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Not an Anthem posted:

They don't do this unless you have a recent transaction that someone refuted, so obviously you know what the cause of this is, sooo... yeah the "paypal is loving us all" bandwagon doesn't really apply here. Nobody I know has ever had a problem with paypal, invariably many of us having paypal accounts for this long have however filed disputes with negligent/fraudulent sellers. Not saying that's the case but you might want to make sure the transactions you recently completed are followed through.

I've gone through all my transactions and none have been refuted. It's just frustrating because they don't mention a specific transaction or violation

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

What's the verdict on slipmats?
Is felt preferable over rubber?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Right on, that's my band! Thanks for your support.

Speaking of, we're running a Kickstarter right now to raise money to buy a van so that we can tour the whole US this summer.

The reason I mention this is because one of our rewards is our "vinyl package" for $45. That's a 12" EP, two 7"s and our upcoming 12" full length for forty-five bucks! All on snazzy different colored vinyl.

Check it out and let me know if you do donate so we can hang while I'm vanning across the country this summer!
http://kck.st/w8d9l3

edit: alternatively, you can just toss $5 our way for good karma. If everyone on our mailing list did so, we'd fly over our goal.

I just sent 45$ your way for this very package.
I'm really digging your sound after checking out your bandcamp, though if I had one request it would be to
play at an all ages venue when you come to San Diego, I know quite a few people who would enjoy your band
who are under 18

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Aw, guys! Thanks so much! We're looking at being in either Madison or Milwaukee on or around 7/6, and San Diego around 7/22. Let me know if you've got any all ages venue recommendations. We can definitely make that happen.

The artwork for one of those 7"s just got finished today. Check it out:
http://benjihaselhurst.com/conveyor

I really really like the artwork for that 7" it's awesome :)
As far as venues go, I like this place
http://thechecafe.blogspot.com/
it's quite intimate.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

So based upon this image posted on reddit
http://i.imgur.com/QpggH.jpg
and this site
http://www.hhv.de/index.php?rid=269310&cid=1122211693&action=changeLanguage&lang=en
I think that The Roots' most recent album, Undun, will be getting a vinyl treatment this month.
I'm excited.

EDIT:
From looking at discogs it appears that there has been two European releases, one unofficial, and one official that came out this month.
Tricky stuff

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2012

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I'm really jealous of that find.
All the thrift stores around here have is christmas albums

It really sucks.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

What do you guys do with the posters included in some releases? I've been leaving them in the sleeves, but I've been tempted to hang them up as of late.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Did anyone else order the Inverted Lightning Bolt copy of Blunderbuss?
I never received a shipping confirmation, but I'm hearing that they shipped out to Europe before the US, and often times they dont send out shipping confirmation emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I was hoping you could solve my dilemma. You are useless to me!

Anybody else get the current Vault package?

No, but I wish I did now that I'm seeing pictures of it on White Swirl.
:(