Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

There are a million cartridges out there (though the guy at the garage sale might tell you you can get a new needle for cheap.... chances are it will be $20 if you can even get it separately from a new cartridge).

I think it should be mentioned that many (though not most) times the cartidge on a used turntable may be a lot better than what one can afford to buy new so spending $20 on a new needle (even an OEM one) may well be the best option. A lot of carts will take better stylyses than they originally came with. For instance, a Shure M75-6S from 1973 (I think) will take basically any Shure stylus, new or old. Whether or not a given cart is worth keeping is not something you can tell just by looking at it if you don't know your poo poo so, for beginners, I suggest asking around in places like http://vinylengine.com before going out and buying a new one.

Also, $20 is basically nothing, and you can get a new stylus (although not necessarily an 'original' one) for most types of magnetic cartridges on-line with very little effort.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malaleb posted:

I have this Technics turntable that someone gave me used, and I have issues with the cartridge not being positioned right. Sometimes through trial and error, I'll get it set up to where it sounds good, but eventually, it slips out of position and stops working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, since I know very little about turntables. Is there some trick to positioning the cartridge just right?

What exactly do you mean 'slips out of position'? Would it be possible to post a photo?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I look at the pictures in this thread and its predecessor, I can't help but think I really should just start hanging some record covers up on walls. I mean, here I have these sometimes amazing works of art and I'm keeping them in boxes and tucked away in pieces of cheap Ikea furniture, in translucent plastic sleeves, where I can't properly look at them except if I take them out - and for what? What's going to be more important - that I leave behind a record collection where the covers are in immaculate condition when I die, or that I've been able to look at fuckawesome art every day at home while I'm alive?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

God drat those are expensive frames. Urban Outfitters seems to have a similar product for €16.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 10, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malaleb posted:

I can try to explain it better. I just skimmed over this page http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm and I think the correct term for it is the alignment of the cartridge. The headshell on my turntable has slots, and I've never actually done a proper alignment. I've just done trial and error adjusting until it works.

From the look of that guide, it seems like I need to sit down and take the time to do it properly.

It shouldn't actually take more than 5-15 minutes once you get used to it. The lovely part is giving the screws that final fastening after you have the cart all lined-up, without moving the cart. But it's still worth it. If you don't have a protractor, you can download and print out one here: http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml. I use the Baerwald one - why they call it a 'Stupid' protractor, I don't know.

Even having it almost correctly aligned will sound better than having it incorrectly aligned.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The worst kind of record store employee is the dude who asks you trivia questions about any song that's playing. "Hey lemme play this 45, it's pretty rare. Theere---now, who do you think it is?" "Weelll, it sounds a lot like Günther Bögebacka." "NO! NO! IT ISN'T GÜNTHER BÖGEBACKA! HA HA! GUESS AGAIN!" "I really don't know..." (I really don't care, actually.) And then it ends up actually being Günther Bögebacka but he's credited as Guy Gayhill ha ha imagine that that was the joke ha ha.

I've run into a couple of these and the really annoying part is, of course, when they see what you're trying to buy and it's all "Oh, hey, Chris Farlowe, do you know who sings the backing vocals on this track?" Yes, I do, everyone does, now give me the loving record I already paid for.

(Note: Chris Farlowe is real, in case you didn't know, but Günther Bögebacka I made up because I couldn't remember who the artist really was when this happened.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dancing Potato posted:

Imagine going to curmudgeonly record store owners with THAT explanation.

A store you have to explain yourself in is a store soon out of business. In fact, any record/book/comic book shop where you actually are expected to talk to complete a transaction is doomed. This may be a Finnish thing, though.

Anyways, a lot of people only collect singles because a) most music on albums is tat and b) a lot of great music was only ever released as singles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think every record shop around here has a record player but flea markets obviously don't. I've managed to buy some awesome (and rare) records like that. Then again, I've managed to buy some awful (and rare) records like that, as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Even though my portable is always in my car, I'm always too hesitant to bring it out, especially at thrift stores and garage sales. I kind of understand stores not keeping demo turntables. In this day and age where a lot of people didn't grow up with vinyl, you're putting a lot of trust in the customer to not scratch it back and forth saying "hur hur I'm a deejay!"

In some places you can have the staff play it for you (preferably on headphones). Although I guess in a shop with only one salesperson that wouldn't really work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Admin Understudy posted:

I was killing time in Best Buy and they had an "open item" Stanton T.62 for $90. I now have a turntable for my bedroom.

Some of the Stanton straight-armed systems were really hard on records because the geometry was designed for scratching only. Don't know if this is one of them, though, I seem to remember them being branded STR8.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

faustcf posted:

I know ebay is a terrible place to buy records but this is just mindblowing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-9mm-LP-Driver-Not-Included-Downset-Helmet-/280700971177?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item415b14e8a9

I would buy it but because the one done bad reputation of by the reason of it I'm refraining from the bids.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

You have to register on the site but it's free, but here's every piece of documentation about the 3009.

They also have a forum which is OK, but that library has so much sweet stuff.

Vinyl Engine forums are great because if you ask something, a guy with a moustache and an intense stare will always answer (usually something very useful). Except if you ask something about Technics SL-1200s, in which case the moustache guy will also answer but then you'll get 10 pages of flamewars.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

What the hell's so controversial about 1200s?

Old people hate them. EDIT: And people who believe what old people write, of course.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 3, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

If you can get past the huge amount of awful, awful audiophiles on that forum, there is occasionally some good advice to be had. And yeah don't talk about a 1200 or the rubber band boys will be out in force.

No no no no the idler wheel is the optimal solution because :pseudo:.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

I use a 1200 for at-home listening, I feel slight guilt about it like keeping a tiger in captivity

But it's a great table

At-home listening is what is for designed for so...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

stupid audiophiles posted:

"The motor is too close to the media and it produces an audible hum!"

It's much more intricate than that. And it's always backed by a lot of pseudo-science, engineering misconceptions, and references to writings by idiots who have made a name for themselves in the audiophile world by using a lot of pseudo-science and engineering misconceptions to discredit perfectly good kit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigHustle posted:

Guys, How do I get chocolate off my needle?

What a great idea in June.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course, chocolate records are no innovation but in the past (I forget which decade, I'm guessing 1930's) they used to be covered in tin foil, at least. (I read this in the same book from which I learned there used to be chocolate spoons to make giving medicine to children easier.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wilbur Swain posted:

Herb Alpert is still releasing albums. His 60's output is all of a similar quality, with possible standouts being The Lonely Bull and the Christmas album. This track from 1979 might sound familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennMD1fPtXA

I can only imagine living in a day and age when sober people dancing like that was considered OK. (Well, I was alive in 1979 but probably didn't dance much.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Space Fish posted:

In case anyone here is a big a fan of The Protomen (and you should be):

Do they still have a singer who sounds terrible?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Finnish milk crates are just too small for LPs. :( Meat boxes, on the other hand... Of course, it's illegal to use them for storing your records.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Wow that's actually kind of competitive pricing vs. Ikea expedits and looks like decent build quality (anything beats Ikea for that). Trying to find if they have them in 4x4

Around here, Ikea sells Expedit 2x2s for 29 €. Don't know what that would be in dollars, though. I've never had any problems with build quality, I think the Expedits are quite well designed and I've had no wobble or bending (on a 4x4) so far. The only problem is that the material is really easy to crush if something hits it (as in door frames when moving).

Also, Vintersorg, mounting a shelf full of LPs on the wall seems pretty risky anyway.

Oh, and I got Huey Lewis and the News' Power of Love maxi single for 2 € and it's in pretty much mint condition and I'm pretty happy about that. I bought it at the local recycling centre and there was also a copy of Diana Ross's Silk Electric with the covers in immaculate condition but inside was some lovely Diana Ross compilation and another LP by Lea Laven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKDBVlgG7U to give you an idea).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 24, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

May I also recommend Joseph Lanza's Elevator Music - A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong. It's not surreal, really, but it is interesting and not too long. Too bad it's pretty America-centric and basically ignores a lot of the pertinent European (and Asian) stuff.

EDIT: I really started buying up the records mentioned in the book after I'd first read it some years ago and there's a lot of poo poo dope (as the kids say these days) to be had for 1 € out there and Lanza really paints it all in a very positive light but be warned - most 101 Strings records actually are just as bland as you'd expect.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 25, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Just got the two copies I ordered (one is for a friend). Relaxing listening for this weather.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but I think I've just found the world's most boring record.

Boring as in fascinating.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dansu posted:

I have a problem with my record player. Everything I play us just slightly too slow. It's not a real high end modern one but does that sound like there is something wrong with the belt or motor?

If it's belt-driven, it never hurts to get a new belt. It should cost around 10 $ regardless of what kind of system it is. If it costs a lot more, you're looking in the wrong place.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So I'm guessing they hadn't seen fit to insure the stuff properly? (Not that insurance companies ever pay up...)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When you buy a new "stylus" aren't you essentially replacing all the moving parts in the system? Which would explain why you can plug a MX97e stylus assembly from 2011 into a Shure M75-6 cartridge body from 197something and get pretty much the same sound.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^^ I might be wrong but don't even high-output MC's tend to have weaker output than most MM and MI designs? So, probably yes.

CPL593H posted:

Think about this for a minute.

System meaning the pick-up. I guess I've been shopping in German web stores too much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, so I posted about this in CineD, but CPL593H directed me this way for more information, and after a cursory Google, I became quite aware of how far out of my element I am, so I need some help.

My mom dug up an old turntable of hers today while she was cleaning, and gifted it to me, so I want to get it in working order. It's a Kenwood from probably around 25-30 years ago, and searching the model number hasn't gotten me any more information than I had before. I know I need to replace the stylus, and possibly the cartridge, but I don't know how to go about doing that, aside from "buy them". Anyone either have one of these, or experience with one of these, or anything that could help me out?

A photo of the cartridge would probably be useful (unless it has straight-out text it can be identified by). I assume it's a T4P mount which is bad because it limits your choices but also very good because you don't have to give a poo poo about alignment or tracking force or any of that stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone had been telling me P-mounts are just plug-and-play so when I got my first T4P player I almost pulled the drat arm off because I didn't notice the screw.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

Is there really not a turntable as good as the 1200 that's belt-drive and not huge/heavy?

There are no good lightweight record players. Mass equals damping (well, not really, but close enough). People with fancy high-end record players that don't necessarily weigh a lot (the fanciest ones do, however) spend hundreds or thousands on stands. The SL-1200 Mk II doesn't need a stand. You can put it on top of your refrigerator and it will work just as well. There are other players that are just as good or better but not much lighter.

Also, you need a full-size turntable platter and the arm needs to sit at a certain point so size is what it is. A linear tracking table would possibly give a smaller foot-print (and some linear trackers have superior tracking ability which is obviously a bonus for digitizing records) but then you'd either have to know what you'rw getting or know someone who knows about linear tracking tables because most of them are poo poo.

While the M97xe works reasonably well with the Techics when the damper is down, it's hardly optimal.

Also, belt-drive has no advantages over direct drive per se. There were some lovely DD players made at some point but the SL-1200 was not one of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

What's wrong with the 3 others I mentioned?

I've not yet tried one myself but I hear good things about the Denon 103 on the SL-1200 Mark 2 but it's a low-output system so while the cartridge itself is affordable, I would need extra kit to use it. I wonder if the 110 (high-output) is any good?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

A lot of audiophiles will say that belts are quieter. It kind of makes sense but I've never heard much of a difference

A lot of :airquote:audiophiles:airquote: will say a lot of stuff. I'd post a couple of links to the good stuff but I think there's already been at least one good thread about that stuff on SA.

EDIT: I said stuff thrice. :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

There's another entry level cart you might want to consider, the Audio Technica AT-95E. It plays well with the 1200 and it's pretty great value. It's not going to beat a much more expensive cart but it is good.

It beats a whole bunch of more expensive carts. This is helped a lot by the fact that it's currently 20,90€.

Also, my OM10 should be in the mail. I had to order a lighter and more compliant cart for my Pioneer. I'd put the M97xe on there (not that it's light but it's hella compliant) but I've got it set up on a Technics headshell and I just can't be arsed. :effort:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 25, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

I feel very hypocritical dispensing advice while listening to my records I washed with dish soap using a Stanton 500 BLU-TACKED inside an empty SPU headshell :psyduck:

DEAR LORD!!! Everyone knows one should use only Faber-Castell Tack-It.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

So I lack a dust cover for one of my turntables and I just came up with an ingenius idea to prevent my records getting dusty:

Flip your slipmats over when you're not playing records. That way, dust will collect on the bottom side. Then flip them back over and the non-dusty side will come into contact with your records :)

Holy mothercunting poo poo - are you a wizard? :monocle: Although a cover would still be nice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

Do all phono cartridges have slight balance issues? Maybe it's because my turntable is straight-tonearm (the scratching type)

It's your tonearm (I'm assuming it's of a shortish variety).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 27, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UnoriginalMind posted:

Now I just need a replacement needle. This one appears to be for the Panasonic RD 7673. It looks to be the needle I need, but I'm not entirely sure, because there's no mention of the Technics brand on this particular Panasonic player (though I realize they had a popular line by that name.) Any thoughts or recommendations?

Technics = Panasonic = Technics when it comes to styluses. Original Technics replacement needles often - though not always - came in packaging branded Panasonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fozzie dunlop posted:

Use the code turntables20 at Insound this week when ordering a turntable to get 20% off. I recommend the Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Numark models, and the Vestax is great if you can afford it. Stay as far away from the Crosleys as possible.

Holy poo poo some of those Crosleys are expensive. Their profit margins are huge.