Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Surfingelectrode posted:

I know you guys hate people posting new releases, but I think this record looks really cool...

It's the Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73 EP, and just like the Neon Indian one, each copy was custom made so that no two look alike.

Mine looks like this:

Goddamn you, I've been looking forward to this release, but so far because it's in store pick up only I feel I've been a bit shafted, being in the UK and all I have no chance of picking it up in a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just got this... The Flaming Lips with Lightning Bolt.

I'm looking forward to this being available in the UK, I got the last two EPs but was a bit disappointed with he colours I got, hopefully I'll get a cool looking one like your one this time (I bet I don't).

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

1000 umbrellas posted:

For those of you that pre-ordered my 7" from last week, the b-side dropped today if you're interested in hearing it:

http://t.co/ygnqt0Tb

It's still up for pre-order here, if you're catching this for the first time:
http://gold-robot.com/records/index.php?/project/grr025-conveyor-7/

I would be all over this but I'm having to save my money at the moment (yay unemployment!) if I have any hopes on picking something up on record store day. Though I will say to anyone thinking of getting this I got the Sun Ray EP and it was really well produced and nicely presented so definitely worth a look.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

tatoBug2 posted:

Everyone excited for RSD?

My local record store is a 40 min drive away, and not a terribly big one at that. Main thing I want to get is the gorillaz single, but no idea how easy/hard it will be to get hold of. Still looking forward to it though.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

I will choke a hipster for that Gorillaz single. Everything else I want is in pretty high supply, from what I remember, but that one disc is gonna be my holy grail. The local store ordered it, but they haven't posted what they have yet (though they'll probably be going through it today, because they posted a lovely picture of two man-sized towers of RSD boxes. I think stores order what they want, and get sent what they want, in amounts that are available.

I know, I'm almost more worried about getting hold of it than I was about a job interview the other day (man, there's something wrong with me...). The "local" store is quite a small one as well, so while there (hopefully) won't be as many people they'll probably get less stock and the next nearest store is another 15-20 min drive.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

And four of those are from the same seller.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Aerobic Robot posted:

jfc since i cant find it anywhere on the rsd website, do all participating record stores open up at 8 AM or is that only a select few?

Depends, my local store opened at 9 am so you will want to check with the store.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

I managed to snag the only copy of the Gorillaz single my local store had, which I'm pleased about. Also managed to grab The Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK picture disk and The White Stripes - Hand Springs. Just missed out on the Ramones single, last one was taken right before my eyes, oh well was good fun this year.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

traveling midget posted:

I got some stuff from my dad, a Technics SL-Q300 tt and a Fisher x100b Tube Amp.

The TT has a thick rubber mat on the platter that warped, so I'm buying a replacement. One thing I'm seeing, though, is two holes in the rubber mat which correspond to what looks like two "hooks/clips/something" recessed into the platter. What is that and what does it do? Do I need a special replacement mat?

[You can see them in the picture that is a closeup of the front left, here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/technics_sl_q300slq30.html]

I have an SL-Q303 which detects if you have put a 7" or 12" on the platter so when you press start the arm swings out to the right position. I'm pretty sure the two little recesses are what detect the record size, so you will want a mat which has those holes in. (With 10" records I have to move the arm over manually since the auto-detected only works with 7" and 12" and it assumes they are 7"s).

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Somehow I've been completely oblivious to Tenacious D's new album coming out tomorrow, does anyone know the best place to get it online in the UK? I've had a look around and can't really see anything and I don't have any convenient record stores nearby.

Also 1000 umbrellas does the paper garden records site do international orders? I selected UK as my country but that didn't seem to effect the shipping cost which seems unusual so I didn't complete the order. Just want to make sure I'll get it alright before ordering.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

The queue outside my "local" store (a 45 min drive away) has been getting bigger each year. It's a bit annoying as the store isn't very big inside so it gets a bit crowded making it hard to look through stuff. grabbed the Stephen Hawking Galaxy Song single which is nice, also picked up The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan but then saw it was £45 while I like the White Stripes there's no way I'm paying that much for it so passed it on to someone else who wanted it. The lenticular jacket was nice on it though.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

jeeves posted:

Well, I wanted to pick up a reprint of Mondo's Turbo Kid soundtrack, but I forgot that they're on central time and not eastern. I check it an hour past when they post it and they're of course all gone.

I need to remember that every record store probably watches their new releases like hawks since marking up them exclusive Mondo releases is probably easy money.

The turbo kid soundtrack seems to be back in stock in the translucent green colour, just ordered it and got email conformation. https://mondotees.com/products/turbo-kid-chronicles-of-the-wasteland?variant=46176705870

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

There's going to be another reissue of Gorillaz - Demon Days https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gorillaz-demon-days-2xlp. So if anyone missed out on the Vmp issue or got stuck with that lovely locked groove then you've got another chance!

Ebola Dog fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 22, 2018

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

dorium posted:

was it confirmed these were coming from new plates? Right now I'm just assuming the label is reusing the same remaster from VMP.

I don't think anything has been mentioned about it yet. It seems to be a wider release this time so might be able to wait until it's out to see if it is the same mastering as VMP without it selling out?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Got my copy of Demon Days today, I know what I am going to be listening to all day while doing house work.

Apparently it can have the same locked groove issue on the c side as the VMP pressing so something to watch out for.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

no broccoli please posted:

Does it have the gaps between songs like the previous VMP Demon Days? I love that album so much, but I'm so used to the crossfades on the cd that the vinyl version is a bit jarring to me.

From what I understand it's exactly the same as the VMP pressing, including the potential locked groove on the c side.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Asnorban posted:

What’s us with the lock on Gorillaz? Is it in the middle of a song?

It's in the middle of All Alone on the c side, there's a video on reddit here.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Checked again, mine definitely doesn't have this issue on All Alone.

Thankfully it doesn't affect every pressing, it took me four copies of the VMP pressing before I got one free of the defect (and one lost in shipping...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Shipping should be included in the subscription if I remember rightly, that's why the international subscription costs more.