Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Waiting for *Doom/Shoegaze/Post-Punk* Records to Come in the Mail :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

theradiostillsucks posted:

Unless their shipping has improved since the first press, you've got a seam split or two to look forward to. Did they actually use the painting for the cover art this time around? Mine has the dude in the center of a black background and looks like some sort of Death in June bootleg.

I've seen on image, and I think it's an old one of the original copies, but it has the Death of Marat as the cover.

And from my understanding, their shipping process has either improved or your case was an exception. Sorry to hear that, and I am really hopeful it doesn't happen to me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone know if the Disc 2 of the In Rainbows Special Edikon was ever put on Vinyl? I'd love to have songs like MK2, Last Flowers, Down is the New Up and Bangers and Mash on Vinyl. Some of my favorite Radiohead songs.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Were singles ever made for In Rainbows other than digitally? Cause I think some of those songs were on those singles.

Nevermind! Found out that they were all released on 7" singles

Nevermind, again! Those songs were only on the CD version of the singles :(

WASDF fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 24, 2011

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Could you take some pictures? I haven't seen any shots of anything from that box set yet and I'm very excited to see it.

I got myself a turn table yesterday. Thought I should start doing this whole "vinyls" thing.

It's a Thorens TD 165 from 1979. The speakers are nothing fancy, I just picked them up cause I needed some speakers. For my first purchases, I got:

Battles - Gloss Drop
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

and I was visiting my friends in Arizona where I used to live and found some of my mom's old records too.

Soundgarden - Screaming Life EP (first pressing!)
Soundgarden - Loud Love EP
Soundgarden - Flower EP
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have to Dance Some Have to Kill EP
The Cure - Fascination Street

WASDF fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 24, 2011

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Ah, I thought it would've came in some fancy box.

How long do you think it will be on sale for? I really want to get one, but I don't have any money, nor will I for quite some time :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Don't stack albums like that.

'kay - I'm gonna find something to hold them in soon.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got this The Flaming Lips/Lightning Bolt 12" because that combo sounded amazing.

I kind of expected lovely music, so I'm not too disappointed, but still only two songs on this are "decent". The entirety of the Lightning Bolt side is bad and harsh remixes of the already kind of harsh Flaming Lips songs on side A.

I actually like "I'm Working at NASA and I'm on Acid" quite a bit, but "I Want to Get High, But I Don't Want Brain Damage" is neat, but not very good. Side B just remixes the two songs on Side A and like I said, aren't very good.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got me some records.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish Remastered
The Radioheads - The Bends
Battles - Mirrored
Mogwai - Special Moves

I've never really listened to The Smashing Pumpkins, but knowing how big of a fan my mom is of Billy Corgan, I thought I'd give Gish a try. I need to give it some more listens to really get a solid feel of what I think. The Bends and Special Moves are personal favorite albums while Mirrored was purchased because of how much I loved Gloss Drop. Mirrored is a bit weirder and not as fun, I think. It's a whole lot experimental, but I think over all, it's not as good as Gloss Drop.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

These two came in today:

Starfucker - Jupiter, an expanded re-issue of their EP, on OXBLOOD RED :black101: and limited to a whopping 90 copies. Great music.

And, can't believe I bought it, this thing:

In my defense, it's worth it just for this song.

I'm kind of interested in both, but more torn on the Halo Soundtrack. I know the music was great, but I've never thought that it was something incredible. Maybe the fact that I thought moments in Halo CE were awesome is a testament to the soundtracks power cause I don't really remember too many songs from it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I never want to be like that. Never.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

You're listening to the wrong albums, mate.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Heads up for those Plains of the Purple Buffalo fans. The record is on sale on *Shels' site once again, but it's $50. As much as I love that album, I'd suggest not buying it until the re-press they said they will do sometime during or soon after February. Plus, this is just profiteering bullshit.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Why wouldn't The Soft Bulletin be released separately?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm so jelly that I had to figure out how to maneuver my new jelly-based body to type this message.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Marijuana brain sounds nasty to me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I kind of don't care for F#A# Infinity's differences on the record.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Can anyone help me pick out a tuner/receiver? I don't really know what to look for. My current tuner has only one working speaker bank so I can't get any bass out of it :(

I'm looking for one that works and is reasonably priced. Would getting a used one be advised?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm quite green so your vernacular is falling on deaf ears. By two-channel, do you mean just left and right channel speakers? No center for bass or anything? I have Thorens TD 165 and some random TEAC speakers that don't really suffice when it comes to sound quality.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, two channel means two speakers. And your stereo is only ever as good as your speakers so you might want to look into that as well if you think what you have isn't very good. Good speakers don't have to be expensive. Buying them used can be a little tricky, however.

Oh and I don't personally know anything about the turntable you have, but from what I read doing a quick google search it sounds like you're got something good. Thorens has a pretty big rep as quality anyway so there's that.

Hmm... So you think it could just be my speakers? The left and right channels work fine; it's just the quality that concerns me. I do get a little bit of a feint hiss when I turn my volume up all the way too.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My max volume is pretty quiet.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

and it is when nothing is playing.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

specifically what do you mean?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

No, it's got phono inputs.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Recent purchases!

A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms
Flying Lotus - Cosmogromma
The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics (colored vinyl, ooooh)
Coma Cinema - Blue Suicide

'Mystics and Blue Suicide sound awesome on vinyl, by the way.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 2, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I also just ordered The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath, my favorite TMV album.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Seems like people are finally starting to receive their copy of Deathconsciousness

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Only six months later and I finally have my copy of Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness...

My favorite album of all time, so I didn't mind the wait.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone know where a good place to get import LPs at? I want to get O. Children's self-titled but they don't ship to the US.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

midge posted:

Another awesome announcement today. It's Protomen related...

http://soundmachinestore.bigcartel.com/product/makeup-and-vanity-set-presents-vinyl

Just look at that loving disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek6DbAAdac

I'm really bummed that they didn't make more Act I presses :( I couldn't afford the MAV + Act II thing until tomorrow and now it's sold out.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm pretty tempted to buy this, but it's loving $50 if I order it to the US. I dunno if I should... I do really love it.

Thoughts?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wish I knew how much money some of these things coming out on Record Store Day were. I'd like to get some stuff, but I'm not sure how I can budget them with my $200 RSD/Concert money for that month.

Looking to pick up:

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Death Grips - The Money Store
Animal Collective - Transverse Temporal Gyrus (maybe)

and maybe Grimes - Visions if it's just hangin' around.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Sweet. Still curious about that Death Grips album.

Are other albums reduced in price on RSD?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I would absolutely do the same.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

thebigpicture posted:

So... Best Buy has Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune on 180g for $1.99. Not sure if this is a mistake, seems like lots of prices have changed on the site recently. It's also backordered, but, hey, it's $2 and you can always cancel.

Also cheap on Best Buy:
Slipknot - All Hope is Gone ($0.49)
Incubus - If Not Now When? ($1.99)

Ordered the Jimi Hendrix album. Never heard it, but it might be cool for $2.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've got a feeling that Nine Inch Nails is gonna start talking about that remastered version of The Fragile soon. Their facebook page just updated their wall photo thingy with The Fragile and we haven't heard about this thing in like a year and a half.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is it at all dangerous to leave my record player going for hours? Like if I fell asleep to an album? I always wanted to do that, but I worry about the record just getting hosed up or something cause my player doesn't auto-return.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

This arrived yesterday and it was so worth it.

*Shels - Plain of the Purple Buffalo

it has some beautiful packaging.

it also came on purple transparent vinyl, but it didn't show up well on my phone's camera so I didn't bother with taking a picture.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I just picked up the reissue of Boris - Absolutego+. Quite stoked.

I got lucky I guess and snagged one of the 1000 red vinyl reissues.

[editline]9th April 2012[/editline]

it is a bit weird to listen to drone on vinyl, and especially this cause it's supposed to be one song. Also, it looks so weird having no separator grooves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yessssssssssssss. I want that album bad.