Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer
Hey sorry, rear end in a top hat question: I'm getting into vinyl more and more for various reasons, maybe I'm just a douchebag, who knows...anyway, I would like some advice on getting a serious turntable. My current solution is great, but maybe it's time to do this for real. I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and a Pro-Ject Debut III. Within the former, there seem to be about 200 options over the last 30 years. Which 1200 do you guys recommend, if you don't mind sharing? Also, how would you compare these vs the pro-ject, or would you recommend something else entirely? I know this is vaguely answered in the first post, but if we can't be neurotic and stuff why are we in the vinyl thread?!! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

What's your budget? 1200s range a lot in price and you also need to factor in things like a cart (Any cart coming on a 1200 is most likely a dj cart that will be horrid for listening and the debut III's stock cart is nothing short of horrid) and a pre-amp.

Thanks for replying (and the guy below you!). Let's say my budget is <$400 for the turntable. I'll work out the other things later, but I definitely appreciate cartridge recommendations. $50-100 would be nice for the cartridge. Pre-amp I haven't even considered yet, but I'm open to suggestions. Within that <400 price range, what sort of 1200 models are good? I tried to research, but some people say "they're all great" and other people seem to have extremely detailed and strong opinions about which ones are awesome and which ones are bad. Does anybody have a reasonable review/comparison/opinion/anything? Thanks.

Since this is primarily a vinyl thread, let me say that I've recently been collecting versions of Sam Cooke's "Cupid" song. I love Amy Winehouse's version, and I just got it on her ska 45 on pink vinyl. I also have a version by The Slackers, which rules...from their "Lost and Found" record, which is mad chill early wave ska if you're into that. Cupidddd, draw back your bowwww.....

Thanks for the help.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
Grimey Drawer

uncloudy day posted:

Maybe it's not "vinyl" but it's not every day I find one of these sitting buried in a Goodwill. Woah!

Not very rare but I still think it's pretty cool if the signature is authentic. Xavier was the man.

Just want to say that this rules and I hope it's real.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody seen clear rubber mats available that would fit a Technics 1200? Like, the stock rubber mat but just made of clear rubber (and not acrylic)? Thanks so much