Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

I have to wonder about the circumstances when I happen to see an enormous collection of brand new vinyl collections at Goodwill. Nobody would just dump off four boxes of new electronica/house/punk - I have to assume someone got evicted, it's stolen, or someone's girlfriend knew how to really hurt them.

Either way, I took a chance on a few albums, and picked up some really pristine albums at a Goodwill in Baltimore. Some I recognize (Audio Bullys), and some I don't (Sumo, Voom: Voom, and so on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Snowy posted:

It's a real rush though, right? I love finding big collections, it's just a little painful when they're asking too much even though you know they have no idea what they've got.

It is, especially considering thrift stores only seem to have the following any more:

- Showtunes
- Holiday Albums
- Albums by people like Ray Conniff
- Bad albums by actors like the guy who played Gomer Pyle
- Streisand/Elton John/Sinatra/Village People/mass-produced albums that are just beat to hell

Really, I feel like a lot of thrift stores must be turning away big vinyl donations that look like mostly junk, because it seems like they're paring down what stuff they do have. I swear, the average record pile in thrift stores in smaller than it was a few years ago.

On one hand, I dig that, because it's less junk to go through, but then, you might miss out on a few gems. Still, I can't fault a store for throwing away frayed albums of scratched up records that have been sitting for a few years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Cripes, that's bizarre - I thumbed past that exact record this afternoon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

The albums I grabbed from Goodwill...

I'd dig any background info or even thoughts on the album if you've heard them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Vintersorg posted:

I wanted to get Astro Creep 2000 as it was the first album I owned on CD but the blue vinyl is like, $200. Holding off on that for now.

What? Really? I bought the blood-splattered one from a Hot Topic a few years ago - is that anywhere near as valuable?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

I've seen a lot of different shelving for vinyl storage, but nothing I can think of beats the functionality of:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

I don't, but I'd love one - it'd be the best piece of furniture ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Vintersorg posted:

Not too sure, it might have been someone overcharging as I just bought it now for $80US. We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though, they sell records there?

Hot Topic is a pretty silly store, but some of them do sell vinyl. Awesomely enough, they also sell classic albums freshly put on vinyl at discounted prices.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

CPL593H posted:

Any decent record store will also have those albums. I'm not trying to give you poo poo, but I think it's better to encourage people to shop at locally owned record shops. They not only need it more, but they actually appreciate you shopping there. This is why I often name drop the places in my area. They all need and want your business. Chain stores at the mall couldn't care less if you died in the parking lot.

And if you're ever in Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI check out the Armageddon Shop.

Yes, I worked in a plug and I don't even care, that store is awesome.

The "We're at the mall, and the Girlfriend is trying on clothes, and I need somewhere to go that doesn't have me waiting on a giant cushion with awful music playing, and the closest store within 'come back, I need your opinion text' range is Hot Topic" clause comes into effect here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

(click for bigger making)

Plus, an unpictured Swayzak single in a paper sleeve, and a lovely condition Popeye record that I'm probably just going to throw away (the cardboard is held together with duct tape, even).

The kid records are all pristine, and they were free - a guy was just giving them away on Craigslist, while the rest were a buck a piece at Goodwill. They didn't charge me for the Swayzak one, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Farts Domino posted:

I keep an eye out for the Hannah Barberra records. They've got a few 60s releases that are actually pretty sick surf records

Which ones? The guy had some Huckleberry Hound, but I figured, you know, it's loving Huckleberry Hound.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Farts Domino posted:

Here's a good link that I've never read before http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/...inyl-side-.html

Huh. That's interesting as hell. What've you gotten your hands on so far?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Found an ad on Craigslist that was selling a Panasonic turntable for $15, and it had a new needle, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

You and I may both be searching for a preamp.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

I'm getting a preamp because the volume from this turntable is super low, both through speakers and headphones, and my previous turntable wasn't.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

While looking through piles of records at a Salvation Army, I thumbed past an awful lot of Andy Williams, and this. I had no idea who he is (I had to ask my dad - it's Jack Parr), but thought the album cover was pretty clever, at least.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

Fifty cents each at Goodwill, both in pristine condition. I don't mind dropping a buck for a goofy 80s record with one good/silly song, and one potentially awesome Satchmo/Bing album.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

So my grandmother is selling her house, and decided to get rid of a lot of old junk - including a giant vinyl collection. Knowing I like vinyl, she let me have everything.

So I sit down to start picking through, and ...

... Lawrence Welk, polka, showtunes, and on and on. The few albums that were remotely noteworthy were all beat and scratched to hell.

*The only album that was in great shape was an interesting James Bond Disco album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LumwvWt2Z4).

Ah well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

CPL593H posted:

I'm not trying to be dickish, but why do so many people freak out about this kind of thing? I'd say more than half the time, the albums I buy/see in stores have some minor imperfection on the cover. As long as the disc is fine and the cover isn't completely destroyed I don't see what the issue is.

For me, when it comes to buying stuff online (in general, not just vinyl), you expect something that's not poopy when you pay decent money for it. When you pay $30 for a Blu-Ray on Amazon, and it arrives with a dented slipcover or cracked case, you wonder if they threw it into the box overhand, and debate if it's worth returning your damaged product that, yes, probably still works.

I work for my money, I'd rather not accept items at 75% value when I pay 100% of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They're mines...

I Might Be Adam posted:

Most of the time when I see records being sold in stores other than dedicated music stores, it's nothing you'd be too interested in buying. "Oh hey, Best Buy sells vinyl in store, let's see what they... oh, tons of Hendrix reissues and poo poo like Sublime". I think that's what I hate the most about vinyl showing up in mainstream outlets. It's always the most predictable classic rock reissues and some friend that you're with that doesn't collect records grabs every recognizable reissue and holds it up and says "Hey, you want The Doors?".

I'd much rather have Best Buy selling some vinyl, seeing decent sales, and eventually beginning to carry more and different stuff.

Five years ago, Best Buy sold no vinyl, except for the random mega-super-anniversary release by U2 or something, that was 3 CDs, a DVD, and a vinyl - and cost $99. Our current situation is much better.