Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Oh hey, a vinyl thread. I've been collecting mostly punk and hardcore records for some time now. Here's a few of my more listened to purchases from the past few years:
Whats up Chicago punk/oi collector.

Just took a trip to new orleans and tried to stay away from record stores but while biking past russell's rare records on magazine street I had to pop in, pretty big store with a few rooms of jazz, blues, rock, western, etc.

Iron City Houserockers - Get Out Alive
Continentals - Fizzy Pop
Waylon Jennings - Just To Satisfy You
Waylon Jennings - Love of the Common People
Slaughter - Bite Back
PJ and the Terrorists - first ep
Buddy Holly - The great Buddy Holly
Bill Haley and the Comets - Rockin
Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders - Game of Love
Carl Perkins - Sun Story vol 3
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale
Herman's Hermits - Blaze
Cream - Goodbye
Cream - Live Cream
Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped
Johnny Cash - Everybody Loves a Nut
Alexis Korner - Bootleg Him!

Cream records were those lovely taiwanese bootlegs, just wanted em for kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

So if you haven't been to a little place called Bucket 'O Blood in Logan Square yet, I urge you to stop by.

Yeah, marc's a cool guy, runs johann's face records and plays in some current bands (and old ones). Lots of books there too. He has great stories about 80's punk in chicago.

Farts Domino posted:

Did she give you a good price on that stuff? I didn't recommend it to you because Denise who runs it tends to overprice on pretty mainstream stuff but maybe she's finally figured it out. I still find really nice stuff if I keep digging, but I really do have to keep digging. They've got mountains of backstock, though a lot of people that volunteered there have cherrypicked for themselves

Jim Russel's is pretty legendary though. According to Denise they were the largest record distributor in the southeast, and Jim Russel himself was a pioneer in rock & roll radio. I sat in on a lecture with him at the Ponderosa Stomp and it was one of the most wonderfully insane things I'd ever heard.
Haha, well, I don't know who ran it. Confusing. When I went in some hipster sorta guy was trying to talk to me about old punk and some 70s RNR, then he left, and a woman was left running it who I assume is denise but she was absolutely hilarious. Tried to talk to me about xbox live the whole time and video games which I knew little to nothing about, but played nice to try to garnish any sympathy discount when it came time to check out (I hate places that don't price stuff).

Time comes and she INSTANTLY knows every single record I had plus about 15 others I had in the stack and told me fair prices. It was amazingly inconsistent though. 3$ for some, 10$ for a few that didn't make sense, then I haggled? I wouldn't recommend going back.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

SupahDren posted:

I'm currently deciding between the Technics 1200 line and

Get the technics don't even think twice.

CPL593H posted:

I've only ever encountered two kinds of record store guys. They are:

1)Old dude who knows waaaay too much about 60s garage/psych

2)Hipster guy

I have never seen a record store lady.

Types of record store clerks:

1) Assholes. Usually owners. Can be assholes because they own the records.

2) Assholes. Usually clerks. Have no reason for being assholes. Hope they get fired.

3) Cool people who are too friendly. I make them tapes of rare stuff I buy that they want.

4) Not cool people who are too friendly. gently caress off.

5) Assholes.

Not giving them a bad rap but 90% are terrible people and the rest are too nice. I wish I could buy records out of a vending machine. Mabye I'm the problem.

edit- women are way better clerks than men, know fewer, but less talky.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

VA - Cleveland Confidential. Unplayed.
Broncos - Tele-k-killing. Unplayed.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Farts Domino posted:

Even though my portable is always in my car, I'm always too hesitant to bring it out, especially at thrift stores and garage sales. I kind of understand stores not keeping demo turntables. In this day and age where a lot of people didn't grow up with vinyl, you're putting a lot of trust in the customer to not scratch it back and forth saying "hur hur I'm a deejay!"

Yea one of my favorite places in Chicago has a demo turntable for customers (a handful of stores do) and it was out for a while because someone slapped the tonearm and bent the needle and they didn't want a repeat performance.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Sounds like tracking force, easy adjustment, don't know how its done on your turntable. After any move a turntable probably needs some adjustment, and its a PITA to move one well. Locking the arm, taking off the platter, etc.

Tracking force is basically how the arm and needle stay perfectly in the middle of the groove as opposed to one side or the other. That's a great table and never get rid of it! If tracking's set too far on one side the needle won't go towards the middle of the record, if set not far enough, it'll do the opposite. Read your instructions or download some online?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Socket Ryanist posted:

Is that unusual? I'm used to paying $13 for singles.

In US currency? Yes, I was surprised to spend 12$ on a new LP with full color printing on the jacket and insert the other day for a band on tour but realized it was a one-off repress of their old LP limited to 300 on a rush job for their tour (Night Fever).

If you spend a lot of money as a band on fancier printing, packaging, colored vinyl, small runs, long/expensive recording, expensive mastering, and expect to somehow make money on your release, yes, you charge more. Is it wrong? No, depends on your target audience and expectations. You can charge literally whatever the hell you want as the musicians, because it is your work.

1000 umbrellas posted:

I don't think I've ever bought a new 12" for less than $10. Maybe $9 once, but it probably wasn't that good.

This I do find offense with, price never dictates quality. Not to be a dick either but you live in New York, where there is some sort of artificial confusing culture tax associated with literally all music and it sucks record digging.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Snowy, definitely post at least a link here, I'd be interested.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got the mississippi reissue Dead Moon records and the Undertones reissue on white because I have SUCKER written on my forehead

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

This is more suited for the turntable thread but I just picked up a Numark 1520 for 2$ because the output board was cracked between the L/R jacks and plugging it in did nothing, at least says the guy. Took the board out, gorilla glue'd it and clamped it, took it apart and everything looked fine. Fuse fine, solder fine, caps fine, etc. Put it back together and it works great, clocks perfectly.

I'm a big weiner when it comes to spending any money on record stuff other than buying massive amounts of records, so should I keep this over my awful Toshiba SRA100? It just fits so much better with my Marantz 2230 :(

Non auto return TTs scare me because I keep leaving em spinning as I'm doing other things.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Extremely common in the diy (pop)punk/hxc/skramz community. Saves a lot of money and it goes without saying but: diy or die.

Gordon Solie Motherfuckers' 10" "Powerbomb Anthems Vol 1" limited to 100 edition is just the regular printing torn inside out, screened with an alt back/front, hand numbered, and reglued. I love Cleveland.

Front is "I just wanted to suck some dick and have someone punch my oval office is that too much to ask?" with a dead woman stabbed in the head in a fridge and back is the "Smile you fuckin' retard." Did I mention, that I love Cleveland..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

fozzie dunlop posted:

30% off Insound's vinyl overstock. Act fast to get some killer records at impossible-to-beat prices.

I dunno if this is the right place for advertising your work, searching similar prices shows that lots of online stores have those prices pre-shipping, and 2$ more shipped, so they're also not "impossible to beat." If you only have those prices at a 30% off sale then most of the time the rest of the internet is cheaper, let alone finding used or whatever in store locally. Local shopping also supports your local record store.

I am not a mod nor owner of the thread, but usually people just post about records they get.

I have no problem with online shopping, I do it for getting stuff from spain/UK/japan, but try to find local distributors first.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

So the [Pias] warehouse was burned to the ground in the riots in England.

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.

Jesus, that loving bites. Seeing photos of people's businesses that you could tell they owned/operated themselves looted and burned was heartbreaking.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Think about this for a minute.

I think they're talking about the MM/MC cartridge, and I think you're referencing the larger mechanical motion of the turntable and the arm. If I have that wrong I'll eat my hat but the cart has "motion."

Also, this leads me to realize.. was switching from a MC to MM and seeing a huge volume increase due to just the design of the coil vs magnet and not.. whatever the hell witchcraft I was imagining?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

^^^^ I might be wrong but don't even high-output MC's tend to have weaker output than most MM and MI designs? So, probably yes.
Yeah, just never really thought about it, still a hifi novice. Thanks.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Socket Ryanist posted:

How loud are you playing your music?

How close are your speakers to the turntable?

What is the turntable standing on?

sounds like feedback to me.

This. I had this problem when my amp was on the same table as my turntable or right under it, so I moved some stuff around and now the amp's on a shelf under the table, but not touching the table the turntable's on.

Make sure its not your speakers too, hook them up to something else, mess around with sources to diagnose.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Farts Domino posted:

was drummer for both Phantom Surfers and the Mummies.

Ahhhhhh that is cooool. Make a friend!

I sat around all weekend selling records at a garage sale. Made 400$.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Mach 30 posted:

What's that Craigslist? A working 1969 Seeburg LS2 for $20.00? Don't mind if I do!

My god you are a jerk! Congratulations! I have a bunch of Thin Lizzy pristine unused jukebox 45's I will eventually put into my own juke..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got OG Pink Fairies - Never Never Land by tradein, along with Pere Ubu's Datapanik, Plimsouls 12" ep, new Spits lp, the reissue of 19 Million AC (only have the ep), and the new Rocket From the Tombs.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Makes plenty of sense to me. It also explains why nobody big had any info on the thing (It's apparently a "Fan Club" LP, but I doubt the TH have an official fan club at this point).

Fan Club pressings are just regular old bootlegs. I have a lot of em, none of which certainly were released by any sort of "fan club." Off the top of my head the Outo discography and the Starjets' "God Bless the Starjets" lps.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

hedgecore posted:

Detournement's new record flexi packaging is epic.

There was some metal band that stole Eric Gein's idea to sell serial killer memorabilia and put dirt from John Wayne Gacy's backyard in their sleeves, that's pretty epic.

My friends and I started a record club where everyone brings over 5 or 6 records and we play anywhere from 2 tracks to a whole LP. I'm documenting the records and making a one sheet flyer for what we listened to or whatnot. Its pretty fun and we got some good ones for our first time (Apostles, Chosen Few, etc).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Chuck Warner is selling a lot of his seconds if you're into punk:

http://hyped2death.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=38

Unfortunately that real kids is sleeve only, but the tar babies ep is red hot, highly recommend it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

My friend's dad has a Linn Sondek LP12 and a home theater setup that makes me poo poo myself when I see it. One of those "all my cables are a thousand dollars each" guys. He's retired now and just watches blu ray movies.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

So.. my question is who is doing flexis in the US? The last plant I knew of was the Christian-only one in Florida. I hear Pirate's Press (CZ) is doing them now, is that the only one?

I want to release some flexis basically and I'm looking for the cheapest place. If its not worth it I might try making a DIY cutterhead..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

answersyouseek posted:

Erika does them but Flexis are retarded.

The point is that they're retarded, if I can find a place that does them cheap enough I'll describe what I'm doing.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Speaking from personal experience, this is something that will leave you broken inside and wishing you'd just bought an old Presto off the bay. :negative:
Whose guides did you follow? That guy that taught christian marclay I guess has a bunch of online tutorials because he teaches it to kids, at least an edison cylinder version

Jerry Cotton posted:

By the way, there are 12" pizza boxes that are just right for mailing 12" records. I only realized this when I received such a package, from Italy of course.
Buying records from Italy in a pizza box sounds like your average record nightmare. Ryan Cappalleti from Punks Before Profits used to send all his stuff in duct taped cardboard scraps. People who professionally burn bridges can't even come close to his awesomeness.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/stack.JPG

My expidit is now on its side. Sucks that plastic sleeves make the spines unreadable.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/expedit.JPG

More hoarding...
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/moreclutter.JPG

Is the weird vacuum pressed clear topped organic-topped record player a lathe as well? What is it?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

WASDF posted:

Soundgarden - Screaming Life EP (first pressing!)
Soundgarden - Loud Love EP
Soundgarden - Flower EP
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have to Dance Some Have to Kill EP
The Cure - Fascination Street
Nice first table, and your mom is cool. If she unearths anymore records feel free to arrange her to drop them off at my place :cool:

FYI keeping your table on the same surface as your speakers and on the same flimsy (no offense just TT stands can be super heavy for audiophile types) stand as your receiver can lead to a lot of added noise. It might be enough to get speaker stands and keep them off that entertainment center, but you also might want to get a waist-height turntable stand or mount it on a shelf thats set in studs in the wall above that unit. You can also ignore the unsolicited advice, but if you get a lot of extra hum or a testy tonearm that's prone to skipping, one of the faults might be that.

Welcome to the nerd club.

Went to DC with family, picked up

NME - Unholy Death (OG..)
Television Personalities - They Could Have Been Bigger Than The Beatles (repress)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

Have we had a conversation about removing stuff from turntable dust covers? I know that some of the sticker removal cleaners cloud cd jewel cases, and I can't remember if I read on here somewhere that they cloud dustcovers, also.

I'm giving my friend a turn table that has ancient tape stuck to it. it seems petrified and I'm not sure the best way to remove it.

Simple green and a razor blade, be sure to have the razor blade near flat against the cover because it can dig in the plastic. If its serious scuffing/etc you can get car headlight buffing/cleaning stuff.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Cosmic Psychos - Cosmic Psychos
Cosmic Psychos - Go the Hack

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

fozzie dunlop posted:

There's nothing wrong with buying music, especially in this day and age, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I have a very special hatred for the folks who prefer to look at their records instead of listen to them. If you've ever had to re-send orders because the original record arrived in "unacceptable condition," (read: immaculate record; >1 inch fold in the corner of the original's jacket) you'd understand.

If you listed the fold you wouldn't have the problem. Immaculate (mint) means immaculate, not "one inch fold in cover." I have a very special hatred for people who don't describe any problems. The Infest/Pissed Happy Children split flexy I bought a long time ago had a loving CREASE in it that they neglected to mention. A crease in the RECORD. Problems include anything that would make it a smidge less than factory perfect.

There's an amazing record shop in Evanston, IL that I love going to because not only do they have bins full of records I've never seen in the flesh before, but they only buy seriously immaculate stock. IMMACULATE. I feel guilty even going through all the crates, like I'm diminishing the condition even looking at it. I hate to buy anything there because there's two premiums- one for being obviously obscure hard to find releases, the other for being pristine M/NM although they don't even claim they're mint.

I have a copy of Hawkwind's "In Search of Space" that's display only because I bought it for 2$ due to it being totally hosed. The record looks like someone hosed it with a knife and then poured candles all over it. The die cut foldout though is in pretty remarkable condition. I have a play copy of it too, complete in much nicer condition.

I definitely dispute anything I'm paying money for that's misrepresented. I don't mind owning slightly beat VG stuff as long as play isn't interrupted or distracting noise, provided I know the condition before buying. I check used vinyl at the stores I buy from because they encourage it, it discourages people flipping out when they get home and think a VG+ is actually a G.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 9, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

fozzie dunlop posted:

Minor damages to the packaging are going to happen more often than not during the course of shipping, no matter how hard we prepare for it in the packing phase, and it's pretty foolish to expect every album sent via mail to be absolutely factory perfect after it makes the long journey to your door. I've had plenty of experiences with Gs listed as VG+s on eBay and Discogs, and that poo poo really sucks. We've also sent out several records that were flawed in the printing process, (Richard Hell - Destiny Street was hella warped and A Place To Bury Strangers - Exploding Head came with locked grooves all over the place) and once we figured out what went on we immediately refunded or remailed everyone's order, because hosed-up records that should be mint are an enormous disappointment. But although the packaging might be inconsequentially flawed, the record itself is often flawless. And if you care that much about preserving the immaculateness of the record jacket or inner sleeve, go buy your records at a brick and mortar to avoid the inevitable tossing and turning that's due to happen if you get it shipped.

I forget you're the guy always advertising insound but I figured you were an ebay seller or the like from the description of the problem. Selling new product with creases is pretty low. I mean, yeah, I've had all sorts of damage in shipping, but it is always the fault of the packaging job. Unfortunately its usually always friends sending me an album they did as a surprise gift and therefore they don't care about shipping it right and there is a huge fold in a corner. I haven't ordered from insound but I imagine you use new mailers and packaging supplies, so why a crease, and more importantly why would you complain about a customer who doesn't like receiving damaged goods.

The crease is inconsequential and doesn't hurt playback but its like buying a new car with some paint blemishes. That sucks.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Portland nerds will recognize the places, the rest of you will recognize the feelings (its not really funny, but some of it made me laugh out loud)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jJHSS2UZs

Lately I've just been getting packs of hip hop 12"s on eBay with mixed luck, but the one I just got had the promo instrumental version of ATLiens which is pretty sweet. Also the lady got me Bauhaus' Burning From the Inside for Christmas!

Haha seriously, that's great.. what a loving jerk. I should get some nerds together for a midwest version of this, minneapolis or cleveland style. I love the "oh man so and so's on junk.. gently caress what is his number!" because I've seen that once and almost did it myself another time.. sigh.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dancing Potato posted:

Is this Vintage Vinyl? They have a Discogs shop and I swear they have 8 or 9 things that I would love to have for at least 20$ more than anyone else on Discogs.

Yep. Expensive as hell. Immaculate records though. They do have a basement full of stuff that doesn't meet the grade for much cheaper.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Raptor Jesus posted:

(which is a great vinyl)

We had this before, just call it a record, otherwise we get too many new people thinking its cool to call it MY VINYLS.

rings of bonzo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. What is maintenance like for vinyls RECORDS? I'd primarily be listening to older records (Zeppelin) if that matters at all.

Whatever floats your boat. Store them vertically. Most people keep them in 3 mil polyethylene sleeves (example here) to keep albums from wearing on each other and some semblance of dust out. You can buy bags in smaller quantities from local record stores.

Tip for newcomers.. don't spend a lot on records. Those Beatles or Zeppelin records you think are a holy grail, aren't. I bought my Sabbath discography for a buck each maybe. Thrift and goodwill stores up and down the US have them in the 99 cent bin, so don't think you have to have money to do this (although welcome to a lovely money wormhole hobby). Its harder to find rare stuff for cheap for a multitude of reasons (more people collect, more records being made, more being thrown out/ground each year, etc) so don't get bummed out either. Enjoy the music and don't be some squabbly oval office on the internet fighting about purity of sound or why anyone should care what kind of music you listen to.

rings of bonzo posted:

im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files? i have done some reading, but everyone seems to say different things, some say the digital capturing process creates distortion, others say that is a complete lie created by people who prefer vinyl, blah blah blah.

i want to get into vinyl, but id like to find out some quality information first.

None. It sucks to own thousands of records because its a pain in the rear end to move, to hide them so people don't say "gee, you sure need a new hobby," etc. I don't like FLAC anyway, not a purist audiophile, I just use V0 when encoding MP3. My equipment isn't the best, its what I can afford/find.

The arguments are about both analog to digital converters and recording analog vs recording digital. Meaningless for most people. It matters a lot to people in recording/bands and people on either side of the CD/record debate. Feel free to jump in, but honestly, why bother if you're not in the recording industry?

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Is there anything special I should know about when listening to a picture lp? I just bought one and I can't wait to listen.

They suck because its a sandwich of the picture element with recycled reground vinyl pucks on either side, and the picture part can gently caress up the pressing. They're not all bad and I have plenty of picture discs that play fine, but once you hear a bad one (I hate to admit but I purchased the Oi Polloi - Total Anarchoi picture LP in my youth) you get turned off them. Metal (black, heavy, etc) loves picture discs because metal in general is a huge ripoff (and I love metal). I buy most of my metal secondhand because I can't imagine paying 25$ for a new LP direct mailorder.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

These days, when file sharing accounts for more copies of a song out in the aether than sales by a literally-exponential margin, giving a musician poo poo for "selling out" isn't fair.
Please don't buy into this, its sentiment like this that supports the current PIPA/SOPA legislation. I'm not directing it at you, but you're repeating the music industry's empty rhetoric about copying.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's sort of like what Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio once said about NYC pretentiousness
Literally everyone is entitled to opinions especially, unfortunately, your fan base. If you get called out for making certain decisions, learn to stick to them. Don't try to turn it on the fans. People are finicky because they purchased a band's music.. congrats, you just met your audience.

As for motor speed, most repair joints have a strobe or means of adjusting the speed if you don't. I don't know if that table is one of the technics knockoffs but if it has the strobe dots on the platter you can adjust based on that.

Ron Burgundy posted:

As llibja noted, the absence of carbon black in the vinyl mixture can lead to a noisier record
Bzzt.. I mean, maybe when vinyl was first starting to be used as the main component, but modern vinyl mixes are fine for quality without carbon and there's plenty of black records that don't use carbon, but dyes. No less quality. Carbon's used for visual clarity in quality control inspection AFAIK.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

a problem for independent acts and really small labels.
The acts you speak of aren't independent (technically speaking) nor small. I'm just saying its silly defending someone who makes a ton of money, are you in the same ship as they are or just a fan admiring their stars?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Case in point, my old roommate's dad used to run a tiny jazz/ethnographic/world/academic label for almost 20 years and had to pack it in after sales plummeted unsustainably over the last 6. By his estimate, pirated copies of their new releases outnumbered sales by a margin of 9 to 1 (disclosure: I have no idea how he arrived at it) And these were largely obscure (or of predominantly academic value) recordings that weren't exactly selling everywhere in the first place.
Right, you're taking their word every step of the way. I mean, once something's ripped to MP3 it can float around the net a thousand times. Its a business decision that needs to be made, if pressing stuff that isn't in demand why be surprised that it doesn't work?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ted Leo quit touring a while ago, because he purportedly couldn't afford to play music full time anymore
I have friends in small independent bands who release their own stuff on their own label and they make money on tour. I'm talking three podunk kids who have been touring for almost ten years to get a name. They finally make money and go abroad etc. If they can do it, anyone with a big name can too- although if you have a big name like Ted Leo I'm sure you're keeping costs down.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"welp, tour more and maybe keep your day job. It's the 21st Centureeee" so cavalierly.
I can because its the reality for anyone in a band, same for any other performance career (acting, etc).

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Or maybe I'm applying my film knowledge (where piracy has a clear and powerful impact on the indie market) to music and I'm full of crap.
Tons of independent directors, writers, producers encourage piracy to get their stuff out there. Its not indie that is fighting piracy. Its Hollywood. You're nuts, sorry :)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Factory posted:

I called any they basically gave me a "There isn't anything I can do about it, but you can contact blah blah blah and try to dispute it with them, Remember you will need your drivers’ license, your Social Security or tax ID card, a
current utility bill, your business license, your articles of
incorporation, or other identifying documentation."

They don't do this unless you have a recent transaction that someone refuted, so obviously you know what the cause of this is, sooo... yeah the "paypal is loving us all" bandwagon doesn't really apply here. Nobody I know has ever had a problem with paypal, invariably many of us having paypal accounts for this long have however filed disputes with negligent/fraudulent sellers. Not saying that's the case but you might want to make sure the transactions you recently completed are followed through.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

What kind of good stand-up is out there on vinyl? I've looked at Stand-Up Records (and I just ordered both of their Patton Oswalt albums), and I know there's a few other mainstream guys (Aziz Ansari, at least) who have been releasing stuff on vinyl.

Neil Hamburger

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I stopped through Boston for a few days and hit up some various record and thrift stores.

This reminds me of hitting a goodwill recently. About 20 boxes of records were out so I beelined. Guy was picking through and a mom was sitting in a chair making weird faces at a Chicago record.

I dig through about five boxes and its all showtunes. The mom asks the guy if the Chicago album she's been looking at for TWENTY MINUTES is any good. He says "I hate Chicago." She says its for her son. He says "He will probably hate it." I like this guy, a lot.

I ask him what he's been digging and he pulls out random crap so I figure its hosed and my friend comes over, asking what I've found. I said "oh its a lot of crappy showtunes, disney records and dadrock." We continue to sit around shooting the poo poo and then he abruptly gets up and leaves, exclaiming "well I've found my stash for the month!"

He proudly shows me Dr. Zhivago, random terrible showtunes, language records and a Serge Gainsbourg record. Okay, the Serge record is cool.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Terminally Bored posted:

Homostupids fan! :respek: Great collection (love that Brain Sugar LP).
Do you know Folded Shirt? It's a 'Stupids side project of sorts. Mongloid-Beefartian punk. They just released their final 7'':
http://fashionableidiotsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mouth-clock

Termbo poster? There are some F/S fans in here for sure.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah. Glad to hear it. Will consider making a scum-punk thread, then.

Yeah, go for it.

I haven't been buying records lately but in the past three weeks pretty much all I've listened to is Soccer Hoolys and Cosmic Psychos. Soccer Hoolys is such an out of this world band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyG7GKWHmiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Went to CHIRP and got cut a huuuge deal by my favorite vendor. Pays to have record nerd friends. Ran into a bunch of people with leads on things I want and things I want to sell from my collection, then I turned around and ran into my friend who is a soul collector hitting boxes of 45's from the one legit guy.

I say hi, we catch up (haven't seen each other in ages), then he says "man I know you collect punk help this guy out he can't sell this box."

..look through the box and pull out lots of indie, vermiform and powerviolence for 2$/pc that I turn around and sell last night for 50$ a pop. HAPPY TO HELP, SIR.

Dude from Hozac got one of the two autographed JT IV records found at CHIRP this year too, ~500$/pop.

edit VYNYLZ :q:

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 16, 2012