Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

interpunct posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, by the way. Ended up winning that Waxahatchee test pressing.

Nice, I'm super jealous. If I didn't have it already I might have bid it up a bit more myself. Cerulean Salt is far and away my favorite album of hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's very intriguing from a simplicity standpoint, but having someone come and pick up your record(s) and then constructing a custom box for it sounds prohibitively expensive. I don't think paying that much of a premium would ever be worth paying just to save the space that having a stack of record mailers (and whatever other packing materials you would personally use) would take up sitting around in your apartment somewhere.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wa27 posted:

My guess is they aren't making any money on this. It's just a horribly mismanaged business, like every other Kickstarter.

I think they'll make plenty. They got $36k from 777 backers. It's pretty obviously just a bunch of dollar store drek that they likely bought in bulk. Some of the levels had more albums than others and I'm not interested in doing any back of the napkin math but even if they had to send out like 10k records for those 777 backers (no way they have to send out that many) they probably didn't spend more than like $5k for the product. Based on what people are posting they sure as poo poo didn't spent any amount of time "curating" anything at all, so their labor costs are basically just buying a bunch of Dad rock and haphazardly shipping it out.

I think they realized that once they weren't able to use a subscription model and they owed a lot of people a lot of records, they'd just try and make a quick buck and call it a day.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
$12/hr to grab three records off the top of the stack and stick em in a mailer, not too shabby.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Here's the inners: http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Inner-Sleeves-50Pk/dp/B001LQSFKY

I like these for outers, others don't: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1UML82

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, some people like them and some don't. I like them because they're super clear and a good size for single LP's and gatefolds alike and the price is a nice happy medium between the total cheapos and like 4mil mylar. They're definitely slippery, which can be a bad thing depending on your general record handling habits.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

1000 umbrellas posted:

Any Chicagoans with recommendations for the best place to run into early noise/avant/industrial stuff? Looking for like Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, Current 93... did the Lincoln Park circuit today and hit Reckless, Gramaphone, and Dave's with little luck (one beat up reissue of "Birthdeath Experience" that I chose not to pay $35 for).

Definitely check out Saki. Most of it shows low or out of stock, but they have tons of stuff like that and would probably be willing to order it for you. Bit of a hike from Lincoln Park though.

https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=whitehouse&x=0&y=0
https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=nurse+with+wound&x=0&y=0
https://sakistore.net/mailorder/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=current+93&x=0&y=0

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
nm

Barry fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone else pick up a copy of the new Stone Roses s/t reissue? Supposedly it was remastered from the original tapes (by whom I'm not sure) and was put out by light in the attic. To my ears, it sounds fantastic, and the packaging is pretty great too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I picked up an absolutely pristine first pressing of The Replacements Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash at my local store the other day. I saw it pop up on their website so I went after work. Couldn't find it on the shelves so I asked the clerk and she brought it out and said it was being held for someone else. I was pretty defeated but hey, that's how things go. She was ringing up my other records and the manager asked if I wanted it. He said that the dude that had it on reserve was a total douchebag and he really didn't like him - didn't get too into the details but apparently he would even send his mom into the store to browbeat the staff, hell if I know. Anyway he said he would take the heat for it and it was mine if I wanted it (for $30, which was the icing on the cake).

lovely for the guy that reserved it and I hope they don't lose any business but his loss is my gain. I guess the lesson to be learned here is don't be a douchebag.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I don't particularly disagree, but the waiting list is pretty informal and no money is put down or anything so it's not some egregious retail sin. I don't really begrudge a bit of comeuppance meted out from a retail worker getting poo poo upon. If I was the owner and this affected the bottom line I'd be pretty upset but catering to lovely customers isn't always the best policy either.

Moral conundrums aside, I got a sweet new record.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone else get this?

quote:

Hello,

We've learned that due to a catalogue error the listings for "Substance [VINYL]" (ASIN B00XP8H26O) and "Still [VINYL]" (ASIN B00XP8H1E2) by Joy Division were mixed up.

We don't want to send you something you don't want so we've cancelled this item from your order and you haven't been charged for it.

The website has now been updated. If you want to reorder the correct item, you can go directly to our listing for it using one of the following links:

Substance [VINYL]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XP8H26O

Still [VINYL]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XP8H1E2

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service
Amazon.co.uk

Wouldn't be a big deal if I hadn't ordered Substance at £14.99 and now it's £27.99

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

taqueso posted:

I would expect most places to honor the old price if you talk to them.

Yeah, I sent Amazon a message about it and got sorted pretty quickly. It even ended up cheaper, CS said they'd adjust it back to £14.99 but they ended up adjusting it to £12.49. Can't argue with that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Spam posted:

So...

Do you guys think that the 'mats will be reissuing Let It Be anytime soon?

I can snag a VG+ for next to nothing but obviously there's no point if there's an upcoming reprint.

This somewhat depends on what "next to nothing" really is but it's super expensive now and even after the box set releases it will still hold some value.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

I love Phish, but you definitely got the better end of that deal. They don't studio very well.

I'm the exact opposite - I like most of their studio output but their live music just makes my eyes glaze over. I went to one Phish show and left about halfway through because sitting in the parking lot doing drugs was a lot more fun than listening to that incessant noodling.

Anyone else get the new Titus Andronicus? It's such a great album and the packaging is excellent. One thing that really threw me for a loop is that LP 2 is 45rpm and has sides 3/5. The other 2 LP's are 33RPM. Never seen anything like that. It took me like 10 minutes of listening to realize that it wasn't just some weird rear end voice effect they were going for.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

WASDF posted:

I always see whenever I post something somewhat rare and obscure on to Discogs that I usually have an offer within a week. I just sold two random cassettes the day after I posted them. If it's ACTUALLY rare or somewhat obscure, Discogs is the place to get attention.

I'd imagine it's due to the wantlist and the emails generated by new items for sale on your wantlist.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ElGroucho posted:

So do they just not do single songs or what

genuinely curious, what is the average length of an album song, and why isn't anybody in phish tube posting singles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phish_discography

cosmicjim posted:

I've also heard Sample in a Jar and Farmhouse on the radio.

I heard Free also, when the album Billy Breathes came out. I hadn't been into Phish long and was really excited for that album, and was really disappointed.

Phish is my favorite band that has the most songs that I absolutely loathe. Most bands that I like I will tolerate or like everything on the albums. Phish sets themselves apart. For every song I absolutely love, there's a song that I can barely listen to.

Rift and Hoist are my favorite 2 albums. Those might not be the cool choices the dirty hippies would make, but I have no idea.

Totally agree - for every great track, there's at least one real stinker. I think Junta is my favorite album of theirs, Picture of Nectar is probably second.

I had the distinct pleasure of going to college in Indiana in the 98-03 timeframe and it was de rigueur for all my stoner friends to listen to incredible amounts of Phish, Rusted Root, Moe, Stringcheese, Widespread Panic, DMB, Umphreys, etc. Any lovely jam band imaginable, I've been through multiple tours of their entire discography. I'm surprised I made it out without any long term psychological damage.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ElGroucho posted:

Listened to a full set. I guess I'm just a piece of poo poo guys, because I don't get the appeal.

Combine the laid back boredom of a soundtrack from a movie based in New Orleans + long term noodling of a jam band - any sense of danger or escalating stakes you would get from a jazz band = Phish

Out before I get called an idiot, peace

Nope, pretty sure that's the prevailing opinion.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Snowy posted:

Analyze Phish was great except for the part where you actually spend a fair amount of time listening to Phish.

I'm about two episodes in and was coming to this very same conclusion.

My copy of Substance should be leaving the UK soon :)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If you're looking for the Replacements box set, I believe the best price (by a longshot) is Popmarket. $57.99 shipped.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Brian Eno is amazing

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ras Het posted:

I think it's pretty debatable whether the difference between "sounds fine, no insert, cover looks used" and "almost mint, light ring wear" should be like 30 bucks.

All you need is one person that cares about these things to pay the price premium and you know as well as I do that there are tons of them out there.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

abraham linksys posted:

I've had an Audio Technica LP120 for a couple years now, and I've been using the stock cartridge this whole time. Lately, whenever I play a record there's a lot of static/noise, even on pristine new albums, and I think it's because the needle tip is dirty. When I look at it, it definitely seems like there's some kind of fuzz/dust on it, which isn't surprising given my love of $1 80s pop records and being generally way too lazy to actually clean them.

Is it worth picking up a stylus cleaning kit, or can I just attack this with a microfiber cloth or something? And while I'm asking, is a record brush worth the investment if I'm going to keep listening to vinyl that was apparently stored in a dust factory for 30 years?

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERPWAK2

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Origami Dali posted:

What's a good, reliable vinyl cleaning brush? The Audioquest-style carbon fiber brushes always shed a ton of bristles all over the record, making it pointless to use.

You might have a lemon because I've never had a single bristle loose on mine. Or maybe I just haven't used it long enough for it to happen, who knows.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have a Pioneer 1020, sounds great to me. I mean I guess some small part of me would like some appropriately vintage receiver full of tubes or whatever but it's also part of my surround sound setup so I can't be bothered.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That's kind of a weird thing to do for a last gasp.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The repress of Built To Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love should be arriving tomorrow, so that's cool. I spent all day listing to Big Black so I picked up Atomizer on the way home from work. Love that album.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only thing I'm interested that's coming out on RSD isn't actually a part of RSD - a bunch of Neko Case reissues are being released. Blacklisted, Furnace Room Lullaby and The Tigers Have Spoken.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Creature posted:

I'm very interested in these. Are they being released individually? I've only seen the box set, and as much as I love her work I don't think I can justify that price.

Yeah like Interpunct posted, they're all on Amazon right now for $20 each.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Doctor Cave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtN1MUB0Gc

Some guy has created a "custom record cataloging LED system"

Dick from High Fidelity IRL

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Art Angels is the best. I believe the digital download doesn't have one of the tracks and the vinyl doesn't have one of the other tracks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mulva posted:

Yeah and Butterfly is not on the download. I hope it really was a publishing issue and not because of some sort of exclusivity play by Apple or Spotify.

Yeah, who knows. Butterfly is such a great closing track. If they really needed something to sacrifice, why couldn't it be Scream?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jehde posted:

Since then I've picked up Pretty Hate Machine from NIN, Shrink from The Notwist, Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada from GY!BE, ( ) from Sigur Rós, If I Should Fall from Grace with God from The Pogues, and Feast of Wire from Calexico.

There's a vinyl store on my street so I like to check it out when I'm nearby just to see what they have. I plan to just get a favourite album from each of my favourite artists, since I already have a lot of their discographies on CD, but I've already come dangerously close to buying albums that don't fit this criteria. I'm also learning that certain albums can be pretty hard to find, like New Order's Substance or anything from Massive Attack.

This ship has probably sailed, but be careful about the PHM LP. I believe it's the 2011 version (which I unfortunately have) that sounds like hot garbage. Noisy and skippy and terrible.

The worst part about being all excited about collecting records is finding out a ton of stuff you want is long since out of press, super expensive and/or impossible to find.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stay depressed posted:

this is the lamest possible way to look at it. what 'excitement' is there in 'collecting records' by going on some website, clicking Order Now, and waiting 3 days? the reason i started collecting records was because it was fun to track down or just randomly find things that weren't readily available that i really wanted.

this is why things like want lists and trading exist in communities where people do more than click add to cart

I think you're projecting some opinion on me that I didn't necessarily express. I love the thrill of the hunt as much as anyone and spend plenty of time crate digging and buying poo poo I've never heard before because it has cool album art, but is also nice to actually be able to get what you want on the medium you have chosen. I don't know if that's entitled nonsense, but it sucks wanting to have something on the medium you'd prefer and it being $300 or whatever.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

That still sounds super weird. Why would you prefer to have some dumb music on wax if it was super expensive that way but super cheap and accessible in any other format?

Is there like a particular record that you can't get without paying mucho dinero that really burns your britches?

I like vinyl? Ostensibly, by posting in this thread, you probably do too? I'm not sure what's so weird here.

Mostly 90's stuff I guess - mid career Pearl Jam albums, Tom Petty Wildflowers, whatever.

Like I'm not losing sleep over this but would it kill some of these still active artists to take some more of my money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This is probably some rose colored glasses association with positive events kind of crap but I love that album start to finish. I guess Honey Bee is a little take it or leave it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's been a She's The One preorder up for a phantom repress for like a year and a half.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pingiivi posted:

I guess everyone has seen this one. I had no idea what kind of music this was, but it was actually pretty cool.

I am very jealous of people that get to listen to Big Black for the first time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ballz posted:

The list.

Hopefully incomplete, I don't think I saw a single hip hop release listed.

It's pretty bad when the thing that piques your interest the most is the loving Shaggs.

Just what the world needs, more Moody Blues records.

The Rob Zombie 10" sounds interesting in a gimmicky sort of way. Everything else is really meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Congrats, that's really awesome.

caligulamprey posted:

Prime Amoeba Records-ing while in California on vacation.

I saw this and was like "Oingo Boingo made the It Follows Soundtrack???" for far too long before realizing I'm a dumbass