Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's the consensus on promo records? I was down in St.Paul this week visiting for the NHL Draft and went to a "Cheapos". Not much of a metal selection but I found Queen's self titled debut for $15. Radio copy only with a list of suggested songs to play. Nice record too -- Queen logo is embossed. Plus this album rules and not a lot of people know that Queen isn't just a bunch of bullshit sports anthem hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Space Fish posted:

In case anyone here is a big a fan of The Protomen (and you should be): Act I will be available on vinyl any minute now. According to the band's newsletter the sale begins at 10am central, so I am just ready to burst from waiting.

e: Get 'em while they're hot! Got one for me and one for a friend's birthday gift. Yes we can!

$35 for a nerdcore band? I was able to get a limited, 250 print edition of Decapitated's new album for like $15 who are a little bigger.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

1000 umbrellas posted:

I posted about this in the old thread when the digital version dropped, but now that the vinyl is here I feel it's immensely more relevant:

My band's debut EP arrived today in the mail! All 500 copies of it. This is my first experience pressing a vinyl record, and I'm beyond proud of the final product; from the recording to the mastering to the whole package, I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. My jaw hit the floor when I spun it for the first time.

It's 4 songs, pressed at 45rpm on sun orange vinyl. You can get it here:
http://conveyor.bandcamp.com

(or just download the mp3s for free, yo).

If you live in or around NYC, stay tuned; we're having a homecoming release show when we get back from tour in early September.

I like this a lot, grabbing a copy. Maybe you'll get big and this will be super rare and cool. I WAS THERE AT THE START. This will be coming up to Canada.

EDIT: I am getting some Frusciante vibes off the first track, the other stuff reminds me of Built to Spill kinda.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 15, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just got my vinyl in today from that goon. Sounds even better coming from here. Thanks for the note too! Good luck with everything. :)

I have to find a way to store all my records tho. No Ikea here in Winnipeg for a bit. Thinking of wooden shelves. Anyone got pics o their storage ?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Went with some cube shelving units I picked up at Home Depot for $65. The picture showed it as being wall mountable but they didn't include anything in the box to do so. In fact, they had instructions telling me to go back and ask a rep what I need to do. Kinda bummed about that as I love floating shelves but this will do for now.

Yeah, the turntable isn't hooked up to anything yet (I use my basement player for now) but I'll be browsing around Kijiji for some deals soon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, that Smiths set is tempting but that is way too much money. :(

I'd only really want Hatful of Hollow and the first album anyways.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, 150 pounds, it's like $230 CDN not including shipping. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

screaden posted:

There is good report on pitchfork about this, they have quotes from the label heads and damage estimates. How can they find who is responsible for this? and why?

http://pitchfork.com/news/43478-labels-react-to-sonypias-warehouse-fire/

You, ahhh, don't read the news much, eh?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Funny how something shipped from the UK arrived quicker than a US record.

I ordered some limited edition vinyl of White Zombie singles, More Human than Human and Super Charger Heaven. The MHTH came in today and it is so awesome! :D White Zombie is what got me into metal and really shaped my life, so it's nice having these. I wanted to get Astro Creep 2000 as it was the first album I owned on CD but the blue vinyl is like, $200. Holding off on that for now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Red posted:

What? Really? I bought the blood-splattered one from a Hot Topic a few years ago - is that anywhere near as valuable?

Not too sure, it might have been someone overcharging as I just bought it now for $80US. We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though, they sell records there?

My Super Charger Heaven 45 came in today, I haven't heard of the B side, so super stoked to see what is up with that. :D

EDIT: OH, this was the hidden track that played! Nice! :) gently caress, do bands even do hidden tracks on cd's anymore?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 15, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Millstone posted:

What? yes we do

Maybe in the bigger cities but Winnipeg ain't got poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Latest addition to my collection! Only 50,000 ever made! Astro Creep was the first CD I ever owned. Used to listen to this album every single day and read the lyrics like it was a bloody novel. This was such a HUGE influence on my musical tastes and overall attitude. This is one of my most treasured possessions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had the Beach Boys Cabin Essence single hit my door today, looks like it was a UK only release with MOJO magazine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some more random stuff, was at Value Village here searching for potential costumes and went to see the vinyl.

The Cosby albums, while a little scratched on the records itself are in great condition, the cases are very sturdy still. The Thin Lizzy was nice, I love that album and apart from the two big hits, the album is incredible, start to finish.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How can one not care about the track listings? It's the way the album is meant to flow. I guess if all your care about is singles and poo poo, than yeah but man, track listing and flow is super imporant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My local metal/punk vinyl store burned to the ground today -- so inclination to go out is entirely diminished. Plus the DFA1979 album being cancelled means that I don't really have a reason to get anything.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/19/smoke-billows-through-exchange

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like you can buy the DFA1979 album online at 10am, going to be hammering that loving site.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No DFA1979 at my store but managed to get it online (using the trick above by adding another item -- what a dumb loving website). Picked up a former RSD release, Blood Sugar from RHCP (#639 out of 5170 I read) and just got the White Stripes single. No refused or 311 at my store, ah well. Seems this year, at least for me, there wasn't anything that was must have like last years Tron discs.

It was funny seeing a whole crate of that Disturbed disco, people even yelled out sarcastically, "Anyone want these?". I was half tempted to get that Beatles set but not for $60 just because LIMITED EDITION.

EDIT: These two White Stripes songs are awesome! :D

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 21, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, same here -- being in Canada I hope it gets here today or tomorrow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Called my local store and they had one copy of the Misfits RSD release left -- phew, totally forgot about that one. If im lucky i'll get the clear one. :3:

500 clear, 1250 red and 1250 blue out there. And the EU got purple ones.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Picked up some stuff on the way home along with the RSD Misfits album.

Culture - Harder than the Rest (amazing roots reggae, 1st edition)

Gil Evans does Jimi Hendrix (this is on some 4-channel record too, the guy was saying many people don't have the systems for that)

quote:

Jimi Hendrix was scheduled to record with Gil Evans' Orchestra but died before the session could take place. A few years later, Evans explored ten of Hendrix's compositions with his unique 19-piece unit, an orchestra that included two French horns, the tuba of Howard Johnson, three guitars, two basses, two percussionists and such soloists as altoist David Sanborn, trumpeter Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson, Billy Harper on tenor, and guitarists Ryo Kawasaki and John Abercrombie. Evans' arrangements uplift many of Hendrix's more blues-oriented compositions and create a memorable set that is rock-oriented but retains the improvisation and personality of jazz.

Mayhem - Deathcrush (clear vinyl)
Cradle of Filth - Vempire (some odd pink/marble color, pretty intense)
Misfits - Walk Among Us

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Woot, had this sitting inside my door. :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Umbriago posted:

My stepdad is a builder/labourer. The owner of the place he's been working at was throwing out this Maratz hi-fi system and Bose speakers. Said I'd have 'em.

Life is sweet. :)

Ah gently caress, good grab :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A year late but finally ordered maudlin of the well's new album, "part the second". They had a bunch of different versions, with some still available too.

http://antitheticrecords.storenvy.com/products/20756-maudlin-of-the-well-part-the-second-2xlp

I ordered the white one. No markings at all to tell what side it is aside from the scratches on the inside (a,b,c,d).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thebigpicture posted:

Dinosaur Jr. - Bug (live)
limited to 200 copies
purple vinyl
http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/products/dinosaur-jr-bug-live

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I would have kicked myself in the rear end for missing out. I love Bug and DJ rocks live, this can't be anything but solid!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, once I saw almost $8 for 2-4 week shipping for US, I kinda lost interest.

Welcome to the world of being a Canadian ordering from anywhere -- deal with it jerk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CMDistro putting out Ulvers black metal opus "Nattens Madrigal" on limited edition vinyl.

http://www.cmdistro.com/Artist/Ulver/10446

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ulver/Nattens_madrigal_-_Aatte_hymne_til_ulven_i_manden/3612

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Awesome, thanks!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ltd. to 150 copies worldwide I just received Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal". The cell pictures don't do it justice. Truly a solid package altogether!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blendy posted:

:siren:SYMMETRY VINYL IS HERE!:siren:

Get it while you can.

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

Sounds a bit like future wave... purchasing immediately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aaah, still waiting on my ATDI record but for now... Dinosaur Jr's "Bug LIVE" just came in. :D

It's more of a lighter purple but yeah, excited to chill to this later.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The pink splatter on mine isn't huge but I like the overall look of it. :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A couple weeks back Cattle Decapitation and a bunch of other bands had their tour cancelled, the Shockwave Fest, so they went on FB with all the merch they had ready and were trying to raise some funds. I had totally forgotten I had ordered but I requested a signed LP and it arrived today! The coloring job is loving amazing! :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If anyone is taking advantage of the 'Lollapalooza Legends' vinyl bundles on popmarket, don't forget the coupon code 'FACEBOOK10' for a further 10 percent off.

This is awesome! Picked up The Strokes pack for $48 CDN with free shipping! :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Owl did were your Strokes albums damaged, well, the covers? Some of the corners of mine were pretty banged up. I don't mind too much but you'd think they'd take care to package em a bit better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was at a vintage-con yesterday with people selling tons of old trinkets from the 30's, 40's, 50's etc and even older too, but found one of the rare tables in there selling vinyl. Managed to snag the original Star Wars soundtrack from 1977! Case was a little worse for wear but decent but the vinyl itself was in perfect condition, nailed it for $19!

I didn't put it in the picture but back than Lucas was spoiling things, first track of the second record is "BENS DEATH".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that album is really good and I am not even a huge fan of Jack White or the White Stripes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you can find it, the first movies soundtrack is loving gorgeous on vinyl.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ron Burgundy posted:

Every now and again I like to throw on that old Story of Star Wars record that everyone in the world seems to own.

Goddamn I had the Return of the Jedi one as a kid, wonder what the hell happened to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TDK is legit chill to listen to while reading, great album