Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I don't think any one city hates DMB more than Chicago. Crappy band further dirtying our dirty river :mad:

(Excepting wriggleyville of course but gently caress them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bowmore posted:

Does anyone have any Bomb The Music Industry vinyl they want to offload?

No! (hugs records)

It makes me sad that Jeff was talking about them breaking up after this next tour :(

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Has anyone else managed to get ahold of the new Streetlight Manifesto album yet?

I pre-ordered it, and the (now-cancelled) Toh Kay LP, from the RISC store.

I honestly didn't expect either to actually show up; the drama between Kalnoky and Victory is approaching Zappa vs WB levels (but with less talent).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

It has a new cartridge and it looks like the belt is in great shape! :D I were to sell it, how much would it go for? $75ish? If it's worth around $50 then I'll keep it, but I make a chunk of my income from going to thrift stores and selling poo poo on eBay, and this is the first decent one I've come across :ohdear:

I'm going to be the jerk who says that table is crap, because it is. Fixed cartridge, no counterweight, no anti-skate, plastic plinth. Nothing about that table is worthwhile, I'm afraid. That thing is seriously from Kenwood's worst days in the mid 90s. I'd honestly be surprised if it cost $100 brand new.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

resident posted:

What is the best way to move vinyl without destroying the sleeves or warping the records? I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip with my collection, and I want to make sure they are cozy.

Sturdy, perfectly sized not to big box (12"^3 is about perfect) remove each record from its jacket to avoid ringwear; stuff the boxes snugly, but not overpacked.

I only moved three blocks though, so ymmv (literally)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I did not need to know about the Mother 2 OST. I did not need my wallet lightened.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The only Residents record I've listened to is Meet The Residents and it's great, it's like Trout Mask Replica but listenable.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have an old Discwasher, and Audioquest brush, and a Spin-Clean.

The Audioquest gets used constantly (and I haven't lost a bristle that I'm aware of), the Spin-Clean gets pulled out once in a while to clean grungy used records.

The Original Discwasher System with Vintage D4+ fluid never gets used. It's pretty crappy and the only reason people think they were good is nostalgia. (I'm sure the modern ones are worse, though.)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Wow, that's rather self-congratulatory.

(Herb Alpert is the A in A&M Records)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

They might even ask you not to be an rear end in a top hat! Your first amendment rights will be trampled and the feminists will win.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

That's going to cost more than it should and I'll still buy it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Creature posted:

I can't help but feel that Devo are just clearing house now that they're essentially finished as a band. Raid the vaults and make easy cash without having to do anything new.

:thejoke:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

It was $33.85 from Amazon.

For $34 I want the goddamn spaceship. Even the CD copy comes with the spaceship (in miniature, natch).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Has anyone other than me hit up Let's Boogie Records and Tapes in Chicago on Halsted? It's my local record joint now that I moved to Bridgeport.

It's run by some guy named Neal who's had it open since 1976, and it's just him. Hours are unreliable, it's cash-only, but it is a serious throwback record store. The place is kind of a mess, it's packed with records, but Neal's just a totally cool guy to chat with. If you go, expect to dig, but if you have something in particular you want Neal will go dig in his back catalog to find it for you.

Prices are a little on the high side for some stuff (like I found a copy of Village People Go West for $5.00, I paid 50¢ for that at Reckless a few years back) and totally reasonable for others (picked up The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief for $5).

And he's not kidding about the "and Tapes" part. There's a wall full of cassettes - and 8-tracks!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've been pretty happy with my SpinClean, especially compared to a classic DiscWasher, but I haven't used it a whole lot. I have another set of 20 records I hope to get through it this week.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Okay, now I want that for the cover and gatefold.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Hey, if any of you are at the CHIRP record fair, we're the group of nerds in The Nest 3D printing 45 RPM adapters. Come say hi!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Under a Spanish Mom?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

The Jazz record mart is pretty dope if you like blues or jazz

It's, sadly, closed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

What?? It was still there ... 3 years ago. I guess it's been awhile.

Yeah, guy who ran it was tired of the rent spikes and wanted to retire.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160215/river-north/its-official-jazz-record-mart-closes-doors

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I dunno, it took me quite a while to finally buy a copy of Whipped Cream, I already had a couple hundred records when I got it.

It's really not a bad record!

The thing that upsets me the most about High Fidelity is how quickly Wicker Park devolved into yuppie stroller hell.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Ceramic carts are garbage, but I have a soft spot for old Califone education-grade players. :3:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I'm also of the opinion that Dev2.0 was loving hilarious and 100% on brand.

Agreed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VERY COOL MAN posted:

all of my records personally are just recordings of the sounds of people beating on hollow logs with sharp sticks and screaming

i saw one of those in the bargain bin at Reckless and now I regret not picking it up

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Pingiivi posted:

Yaayyy...

I don't buy bleepity bloop computer music on vinyl because that's a dumb thing to do but that picture disk is great

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

stay depressed posted:

let's not kid ourselves we all know undertale is the good poo poo

:shittydog:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Dare To Be Stupid is the best thing Weird Al has ever done and it does not get nearly enough recognition.

The best Devo song Devo never wrote

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I would have taken them so I could throw them in the trash and be satisfied in the knowledge that I removed a few copies of his albums from circulation.

Same. Parrotheads are the worst subculture of baby boomer.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Moai Ou posted:

I know that I can't tell a difference in quality when the needle hits the colored portion on a black/red split album I have.

I know I have at least one record where I can hear where the stylus hits the color split in the deadwax. It's barely perceptible but it's there.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i had a pretty successful day at an antique mall in Michigan on RSD

$160 got me:

A soundtrack for a ridiculous movie with Carol Channing and Julie Andrews

Old folk music

Elvis Costello - King of America

Talking Heads - True Stories

A couple Allen Sherman records

oh also the chair I took all the pictures on, which is a genuine Herman Miller Eames Molded Fiberglass chair

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress Switched On Bach, I want the Peter and the Wolf 'Weird' Al/Wendy Carlson collab reissued.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

revmoo posted:

Lol. Bought this on a whim. I've never even heard a taytay song (that wasn't some beep-boop techno remix). I'll throw it on with no preconceptions and see how it sounds.

Shake It Off will be stuck in your head for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

"Decent sound" is subjective? I mean yeah they get loud as hell but they aren't exactly good reproducers.

My partner teaches preschool, I got him an old Califone for Christmas one year, he uses the hell out of it with thrift store records and old children's stuff. His kids love it because they've never seen one before.