Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

This guy passed away leaving behind thousands of LPs that were sold to a person I know that runs an auction house. Yesterday I went and flipped through crates and crates with horrible crap and managed to picked up about twenty good ones for 5$ a piece. This was one of them. The cover is not in the greatest shape but the vinyl looks and plays just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

milk teeth posted:

holyshit.
what else'd you get?

Nothing really interesting, early reissues of The Seeds "Raw & Alive" and Spirit "Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" the most surprising finds.
And this strange album http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Spider-Man-From-Beyond-The-Grave-A-Rockomic/release/768350 No idea what it is!
I suspect someone already have gone through the albums and picked out the albums worth something before selling them to the auction house. There were probably twenty crates of lovely country and sealed radio promo albums.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Here are a few recent purchases, because my White Willow LP finally came:

So is White Willow even known abroad? Because in Norway they are sadly pretty much ignored.

I buy a lot of Norwegian vinyl that I think deserves a broader audience but I don't know if anyone are interested. Should I post some recommendations?

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Norwegian vinyl:

Here are the three latest albums from Jono El Grande, all released on Rune Grammofon.
Top: Neo Dada (2009), bottom: Phantom Stimulance (2010) and The Choko King (2011)

He has released at least two more, Fevergreens (2003) on the same label and Utopian Dances (1999) on the tiny label Krusedull.

He plays a joyful sort of art/progrock perhaps most easily compared to Frank Zappa.
Since his two first albums he has started releasing one album every year and I hope he keeps up this tempo because he's moving into another division with his compositions now I think.
Of the three albums I would recommend Phantom Stimulance but all of them are some of the best stuff that has come out of Norway.

Rama Lama Magnus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

theradiostillsucks posted:

Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Time is the Key

Just wondering about that Gong-album. What press is this? I have never seen one with a sticker. What does it say?

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
I have been on a Zappa binge this summer. These are the more unusual ones I've bought:

Zapped - early Bizarre compilation
Sheik Yerbouti Clean Cuts
Joe's Garage Special Promotional
The Old Masters Box One Sampler
Dancin' Fool - 12" disco version on both sides
Goblin Girl / Pink Napkins - picture disc

Bobby Brown / I Have Been In You & Dancin' Fool - 12"
Rare Meat - 6 track EP of pre-Mothers recordings
Pop History vol 7 - German double LP compilation of early Mothers
Freak Out - US mono
and some 7":
How Could I Bee Such A Fool / Help I'm A Rock
Lonely Little Girl / Mother People - DJ-version
Cosmic Debris / Uncle Remus - promo
Bobby Brown / Baby Snakes - the one with green letters
I Don't Wanna Get Drafted / Ancient Armaments
Love Of My Life / For The Young Sophisticate
Harder Than Your Husband / Dumb All Over
Valley Girl / Teenage Prostitute
Frank Zappa/David Bowie - What's It All About, interviews by Bill Huie from the Presbyterian Church! (MA 1824)

Solo On Guitar - bootleg of "The Guitar World According to Frank Zappa"
Guitar Hernia - another bootleg of "TGWAtFZ" + two bonus tracks
Pigs and Repugnance - Clear/multicolor vinyl bootleg, Ann Arbor 03-Dec-1967
Live in Europa - bootleg, Stockholm 30-Sep-1967 and Boston 1969
In Europe - bootleg on red vinyl, Rotterdam 27-Nov-1971
Dupree's Paradise - double LP bootleg, North Carolina 23-Feb-1973

Big Mother is Watching You - bootleg, USA 1-Sep-1984/12-Aug-1984/21-Jul-1984
All You Need Is Glove - double LP double LP, USA 1-Sep-1984/July 1984 + 2 tracks 1981
Carousel - double LP bootleg, Berlin 11-Sep-1984
Scherade pt 2 - double LP bootleg, Various Germany 1988
Norwegian Rhapsody vol 1 - double LP bootleg, Oslo 27-Apr-1988
FZ At Artisan - clear vinyl with a transparent PVC-sleeve boot of a unreleased Zappa produced album, live 1968-69

Rama Lama Magnus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 7, 2012

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Cemetry Gator posted:

What tracks are on "Clean Cuts?" I'm just curious what songs they tried to sell to the radio? Did Jewish Princess make the cut?

Jewish Princess, haha no.
They must have had a hard time because this is what they came up with:
Baby Snakes (a song about penises?), Tryin' To Grow A Chin, City Of Tiny Lites, Dancin' Fool, Flakes, Whatever Happened To All The Fun In The World & Rat Tomago

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

strap on revenge posted:

Does anyone have Amarok by Mike Oldfield on vinyl? I kind of want it but I can't imagine it sounding very good with 30 mins on each side. pls advise

It sounds fine, maybe a bit thin. It's been a while since I've listened to it but I don't remember any distortion to the sound or anything, it's not the loudest album so that's probably why.
I also got Songs of Distant Earth on vinyl which I got really cheap, I only recently realized it's very collectible since it was released only in Germany/Europe, one pressing, 1000 copies.
Both albums are definitely mastered for CD but it's nice having Oldfield-vinyl not everyone have.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

kirkjames posted:

The Only Correct Way to store records is in a paper sleeve, outside the jacket, but inside the polybag. also correct to have the polybag opening up, but i face my paper sleeve up as well. keeps the jackets from getting ringwear, and incredibly easy to just pull out and play without messing with the bag.

the only question here is inserts/printed inners: outside the jacket or no?

I think ringwear (and splitseams) is a bigger issue with US-pressings, particulary from the 60/70's. Of all the albums I have the European albums suffer a lot less from ringwear than the US ones since the manufacture processes are different.
On European covers the artwork is printed directly on the cardboard whereas on the US covers the artwork is printed on paper which is then glued on the cardboard, and in some cases even around the edges, being the only thing holding the jacket together and of course over time thin paper is no match against the sharp edges of a record.

I would think that a polybag is the best way to avoid ringwear so I see no real reason to keep your records outside the cover. With gatefold jackets I can even imagine the spine being flattened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Cloks posted:

I already own a few of these and while they're good records, they're not hugely something I'd listen too that often. You can find most of the original ones pretty cheaply anyway.

I got all of them (except the first one, seems to be a bit hard to find where I live for some reason) and they were not that expensive. Even got Matching Tie and Hankerchief with the cut-out, all the inserts and the parallel-cut vinyl. Paid a lot less than what they are asking for the box-set. Still tempted to get this one!
I also got the Instant Record Collection with the fold-out cover. One of my favourite gimmick-covers, such a well executed idea!