Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I'm having some trouble with my Numark TT1625 Direct drive turntables, and I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

I've been getting this very loud, distorted hum whenever certain bass freqs are played at even a moderate volume (seems to be around 60hz). If I cut the bass just a bit I can turn it up much louder, but the low end has to be cut enough to noticeably effect the song. I also get this distorted humming effect just from putting down the needle on a non-playing record.

The turntables are correctly grounded (from what I can tell) to my awful awful Numark iM1 mixer. The mixer runs via RCA into my studio monitors. The monitors sound fine when not used on these turntables.

I've tried plugging everything's power directly into the wall sockets, then everything on surge protectors, etc.

Also the stylus is brand new, replacements of the factory ones. The old pair produce the same humming.

Ive seen some posts on other forums suggesting to touch a wire from my ground on my mixer to my metal tonearm on one of my turntables to see if an ungrounded tonearm could cause the humming. Would this be a good idea?

Maguro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Are you playing records with the dust cover still on? If it's one of those hinged covers that opens half way that can still make a sound at moderate volume, so slide it off.

Nah I dont have a dust cover.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Socket Ryanist posted:

How loud are you playing your music?

How close are your speakers to the turntable?

What is the turntable standing on?

sounds like feedback to me.

Not absurdly loud, but the speakers are right behind the decks. I tried moving the speakers away while the decks were on but didn't notice a change in the humming.

The decks stand on plastic feet that came with them. It certainly sounds like low-end feedback when I hear it but I have no idea of the cause.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I use these decks to practice DJing at home, so I can't play without monitors. I'll try moving the speakers a bit more.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Ron Burgundy posted:

Feedback can manifest itself as pumping on some systems which I defeated with the low-pass filter on my amp.

Yeah I've been cutting the bass a good bit to defeat it but it makes the tunes sounds like trash.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I do have some soundproof foam under the monitors, but I may have to move them regardless. Thanks for the tips.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Farts Domino posted:

Anybody have any experience?

I actually spin reggae/dancehall 45s in New Orleans a fair amount, and only a few clubs(dragons den) have their own turntables. Usually the guy that throws the parties I play at brings in his coffin case with his 1200s and runs those into the club's system. If you are doing this make sure you can run out to RCA, 1/4", and XLR, and bring your own cables along with that other poo poo that was listed. Certain clubs (like the saint) only have XLR inputs while other clubs will have RCA and 1/4", etc.

Yet another reason why I usually play digital!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Tiny Faye posted:

In New Orleans for a business trip and made a pit stop at Louisiana Music Factory. Definitely one of the best shops I've ever been too. A must for jazz and soul - ok enough rock section. But what I really dug their good selection of local stuff. I went there after I made a stop at Peaches and just found their prices way too high for my blood - decent selection though. Ended up picking up a copy of Quintron and Miss Pussycat's Swamp Tech for 15 bucks, which rules because I remember finding in the Newbury Newbies in Boston for twice that much.

Peaches is historic in the local rap community (at least when it was at its old location) but it's the worst and most expensive record shop in town. If you were at the Music factory you were a short walking distance from another great shop, Skully's on bourbon st.

Also, if you leave New Orleans without going to Domino sound records then shame on you.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Anyone know of a decent record shop in Munich? I'm looking mainy for electronic, reggae, and dancehall but I'm open to anything, especially if its within walking distance of Marienplatz. Most of the ones I've found online have since closed...

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

dookie posted:

So I'm gonna get a vintage direct drive turntable purely for sampling purposes only. I also would like to listen to vinyl occasionally. Currently I have an Apogee Duet audio interface (2 ins, 2 outs), and a small Behringer mixer. What would I need to connect my turntable to my computer? Do I have everything I need already, or do I need a separate pre-amp?

Since you are an electronic dude (like myself) here's my setup. It might be a little overboard for what you are trying to do but its loving FUN.

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-iBATTLEPACK-Vinyl-Ipod-Package/dp/B001RP3VSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324566070&sr=8-1

This package comes with two DD TT1625 Numark turntables, not the greatest things in the world by a long shot but they are fantastic for practicing mixing at home. It also comes with a cheap mixer (that can record your mixes/samples directly into an ipod if you care about that) and a pair of DJ headphones.

Now im my opinion if you want to get the best sound out of vinyl sampling then you should really look into getting a secondhand Akai MPC (1000 series or higher). I have a MPC 1000 I bought used and it sounds great when ripping samples from records.

Just run 1/4 inch cables from the mixer into the 1/4 imputs on the MPC, hit record, and you are good to go. This setup also means you can sample scratches directly over whatever tune you are trying to sample. Álso the MPC gives the samples a great "flavor" that maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Or just buy new carts? Like every DJ does anyway?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Seriously the concept that you wouldn't buy turntables based on what carts they come with is making my brain hurt.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

VVVV I thought that was what I said?

Ah I thought you meant the turntables were not worth purchasing if they didn't come with nicer carts. Misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

alg posted:

What do y'all listen to as far as Christmas albums?

Bruce Cockburn's christmas album is really good. It's really about christ and stuff more than it is about christmas. Not really appropriate for a christmas party hahah.