Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I finally got around to buying a turntable. I've been working in a record store for the past few months, and have hated not being able to buy any of the vinyl that comes through. (Somehow being surrounded by CDs makes me want them less and being around vinyl makes me want them way more.) Unfortunately our store only sells those horrible Crosley turntables. I'm still waiting on my pre-amp and speakers since I purchased them online, but I got a great deal on a late 70s Pioneer turntable at the amazing Randy's Records in SLC.

So far I've purchased Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, and Elvis Perkins in Dearland. But I picked up all nine Beethoven symphonies for only $8, along with a compilation of Romantic composers, and Wagner's Tristan & Isolde. It's been a great couple of days, but drat have I spent a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love working in a record store.

I paid for the Mudhoney one (original Super Fuzz Big Muff? yes please!) but the other three were given to me by a customer that always brings in vinyl to trade. If we can't give him very much store credit he often just gives them to employees or takes them back to give to friends. That's where the Fleetwood Mac/Van Halen/Idol (?) came from. I have no idea what that last one is, but it's sure to be ridiculous.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Farts Domino posted:

I have that Mudhoney and used to keep it on my wall. Can't figure out why they got rid of that lettering for the CD release

Yeah I love that artwork. I remember seeing it in the store a couple months back and wanting it but I had totally forget we had it until this morning when I was alphabetizing. It's in amazing condition, absolutely no scratches on it (just a bit of dust) and it sounds really good all these years later. I'm only one year older than this record! I was very impressed with the sound. Plus you know, Mudhoney is what Grunge is all about and I've been a fan since I was 15.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

That sucks. Slowtrain in Salt Lake is closing down, but that's because the (young) owners are having a child and won't have the time to run it frugally anymore, and no one ponied up the 75 grand to buy it. Luckily Randy's Records, the biggest record store in the state, is still around after 30+ years and will hopefully keep on truckin' in the future. Last time I was in there it was pretty packed. I'm heading back today to get see what's wrong with my turntable. Hopefully lots of people again!

Here's what I've purchased recently:

Men At Work's Business As Usual, Radiation City's The Hands That Take You, Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, John Coltrane & Don Cherry's The Avant-Garde, St. Vincent's Strange Mercy, Sufjan Steven's Seven Swans...

...Chasing Kings' "Just Our Luck"/"Maybe It's the Distance" and of course, The Beatles' Abbey Road.

Most of these are new, but a few are used. I found out that a smoke shop right by my work has started selling used vinyl so I bought Business As Usual and Seven Swans there. Radiation City and Chasing Kings are two small touring bands that came through town last week and I've decided to try and buy vinyl from bands like that as often as possible to help support them (you know, if the bands are actually good). The Radiation City album is fantastic and I suggest you check them out of you're into layered indie music.

Working at a record/entertainment store that makes most of its profits from used CDs/DVDs/video games means that I get to bring in all my old stuff and get a shitload of store credit to get lots of new stuff at a 25% discount! I've traded my old self for vinyl!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Oh was someone Talking about some Heads?

I picked up an old pressing of Belle & Sebastian's The Boy with the Arab Strap, the album that first got me into them all those years ago. And of course, The Talking Heads' last studio album, Naked, which features one of my all-time favorite songs, "(Nothing but} Flowers" which is in absolutely astounding condition.

I also just had to get the special pink/blue version of M83's new album. Sure, I had to go to Urban Outfitters for it, and yeah, I don't get my 25% discount, and OKAY it doesn't even come with a download code, but I don't care because it's just really beautifully put together. There's something very surreal about seeing that little girl's sad face spin around a pink disc.

So what's the thread's verdict on those clear plastic sleeves? I've got them on almost all of my records, and I was wondering if it's really worth the extra hassle or if the paper sleeve inside is plenty good enough.

Edit: Been reading more of the thread and looks like yes, I want as much protection as possible. How about those anti-static record sleeves? I'm looking into those now too.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2011

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah, we have one of those Smiths box sets at our store for $250, and it serves as a very nice display next to our turntables, but literally the only person who has showed any interest in buying it is a middle aged customer with fine taste in music and way more money than sense. (But he is our no.1 guy and always brings us really cool vinyl to sell/give to members.)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you for making me go to Urban loving Outfitters to buy an album I already had.......But yeah, it's pretty gorgeous so no regrets, I guess.

I also picked up the stone/tie-dye Metals, but at least that one was "only" 14 bucks and came with the download.

I have to stop reading this thread. You people and your neat finds are wallet poison.

Haha, sorry man. Isn't it oh-so-pretty though? :allears: I've already given it a couple spins in the <2 days I've owned it. Speaking of things, I saw that http://www.insound.com site that was posted a few pages back, and it is my new favorite. I came across these:

http://www.insound.com/EVOL-Pink-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89691/
http://www.insound.com/Sister-Purple-Vinyl-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89688/

Do they seriously still have copies of the Pink and Purple versions? If only 500 of each were made, you'd think they would have been long sold out by now. Either way I have to get E.V.O.L. because it's the version with the endless groove at the end of "Expressway to Yr. Skull" instead of the one that ends in "Bubblegum". My very first proper concert at age 15 was Sonic Youth and they ended the night with a long rendition of "Expressway" so it's very near and dear to me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Last I checked we still had plenty of the colored copies in stock. I'll pack your order with love and caring :3:

I actually ordered them both last night before that post! Though I had actually ordered them last night and it looks like they got shipped this afternoon, before your post. I do hope that you put in that love and caring though, if'n it was you that packed it. I'm very excited for them. We'll see if I get the White and Orange Confusion/Bad Moon records. You guys have those too, but I don't like those albums as much.

Randomly at work we had what appeared to be an imported copy of Boris's Rainbow. It wasn't something we had in stock, but it looks like someone just slipped it into our used section, still in good condition. The outside was all in Portuguese but the insert was Japanese. I wanted to just take it home but my boss is going to put a sticker on it and sell it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I didn't think I'd actually go and inspire so many people (at this point, two) to go out and buy it. But it really is gorgeous. There's something wonderful about colored vinyl that makes it so tempting to own. It's definitely what pushed me into ordering E.V.O.L. and Sister. I even spent an extra $2 to get the colored version of a touring band's LP that came through town.

I seriously want my band to record and press to vinyl just so I can make a few colored copies of it, expenses be damned.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Some days you just wish you made a lot more money than you do.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It's been awhile since I last posted in this thread, and I've made quite a lot of purchases since then, effectively draining my wallet. But since I'm fairly new to this whole business of record collecting, most of my purchases so far have been old favorites of mine. So here's what I've picked up in the last month or so:

From Sonic Youth I have: Evol (Pink 180 gram) and Sister (Purple 180 Gram). Both of these were limited to 500 copies each and Insound had some. They both look and sound very full. I'm listening to Sister right now. I also picked up and original near mint copy of their 1985 EP Death Valley '69. It was too good a deal to pass up for a fanatic like me. And I got Lee Ronaldo's solo record Countless Centuries Fled into the Distance. It's clear vinyl with a very cool pattern visible from both sides.

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030 (You have no idea how excited I was to see this in a store. My all-time favorite hip-hop album.)
Postal Service - Give Up
Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements

Calexico and Iron & Wine - In the Reins
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Nirvana - In Utero Limited Colored edition that came out a couple years back
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Arcade Fire - Funeral (the last AF album I needed to buy for all three)

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
Crocodiles - Sleep Forever
Pat Methany - First Circle and Rejoicing w/ Charlie Haden & Billy Higgins
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me

And the cream of the crop in my recent purchases...

Broken Social Scene's Forgiveness Rock Record on seven 10" colored records. It's definitely an excessive, ridiculous purchase. But I found it new for much, much cheaper than it goes for online, and I couldn't pass it up. It sounds so, so good - completely different than the CD. And those records are absolutely gorgeous; this picture does them no justice.

Now to avoid buying any new records for like, three months.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Duckula posted:

How much did Loveless set you back?

Uh, $10. It was a used copy (though still in its shrink wrap) marked at $13 and I got a 25% employee discount off it. I believe it's a 2003 reissue.

Edit: Wow. Did not know until now how hard this thing is to get. My store tends to sell things much cheaper than you can find online.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 28, 2011

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

TELL US WHERE

I work at a small Utah-based "entertainment" store called Graywhale that survives off used movies, CDs, video games, and vinyl. (Though we also sell new releases, the profit comes from used product.) A couple weeks ago, someone sold us some records that were barely touched. This included both Loveless and Surfer Rosa, which I picked up for myself for <$10 each. This is how I also picked up that huge Forgiveness Rock Record set for a whole lot less than the $115 price you find online. Sometimes you just get really, really lucky.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Sweet haul, man. Glad to see your Sonic Youth made it over in one piece. And drat but I wish my copy of Loveless was as cheap as yours :(

Yeah I was very glad to open those up and see the glory of the colored discs. It has almost tempted me to get those editions of Confusion is Sex and Bad Moon Rising, even though I'm not as big a fan of those albums. Maybe after the new year.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think a record store in Salt Lake has a copy, but it may very well be gone by now. I didn't pick it up since I have the CD, but I'll definitely grab it if it's still there this weekend.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Got my copy of Childish Gambino's Camp today. Beautiful double LP (I only thought it would be one disc, but the 4th side has 5 bonus tracks), awesome booklet and it was only $11!

So cheap! I'm going into work soon and I'm really hoping that we got a copy that no one wants to pick up.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Cool, good to hear you guys are interested. I have some more I found that I am going to sell too I just need to finish my last final tomorrow and we can do some wheeling and dealing.

If it bugs too many people I can start a SA Mart thread but I figure most of the vinyl fans are posting here anyways.

Quick update:

The White stripes-Elephant (red and white 2xlp)
AFI: The nitro years box set (first 5 albums on clear)
At the drive in/Sunshine split LP (clear purple)

PM'd you about Elephant. Love that one.

So no luck with Scott Pilgrim. I did however find both volumes of Kill Bill, which I may pick up Friday.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Cosmicjim, maybe you should just start up a record shop with all that.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

I live in a town that can't support 2 record shops. I don't want to compete with the one that's already here, because I consider the guy my friend, though I think I could do it better. Also, been considering opening a used video game store(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

I even own a store front in the downtown section of my city, but I cant decide if I want to put a store in it, sell it, or rent it out. I have a full time job that I'm not going to quit so I can run a second hand store.

I just can't believe anyone can have so many turntables all stacked on top of each other like that! There's not a single shop in my state that even has that many for sale.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Happy holidays from everyone at Insound! This week you can enter the code happynewyear15 when checking out your purchase for 15% off fuckin everything until midnight on January 2nd. HAIL SANTA.

My collection's ballooned out quite a bit with holiday gifts, so I'll be sharing some awesome pictures with the vinyl thread soon :3:

I am so glad for this, and glad for you. I ordered some albums that I've been wanting awhile and can't find anywhere else. And the discount paid for the S&H! I ordered Broken Social Scene's S/T (loving FINALLY), Theophilus London's Timez Are Weird These Days (best Hip Hop album of 2011 as far as I'm concerned), and Parenthetical Girls The Scottish Play. You guys are kind of slow, but I'll be damned if those two Sonic Youth records I ordered didn't come in some fantastic condition.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I like ordering from Insound because I know that fozzie will package it with love and care. :3: And this Friday I'll be getting Theophilus London, Broken Social Scene, and Parenthetical Girls from them. Amazon doesn't even have two of those and the other is much more expensive.

My girlfriend got me Belle & Sebastian's The Life Pursuit for Christmas from you guys, and it was a wonderful gift.

Speaking of things, I just bought Battles' Gloss Drop and Iron & Wine's The Creek Drank the Cradle. Both sound very good, and I only spent $3 to get them new! (We got $25 store credit as a small Christmas bonus this year and I finally used it.)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Artists making albums instead of just making songs is why we have so much lovely music on records. This was the case even before CDs.

You've said this before, and it's a valid opinion and all, but it's a very strange thought for someone who collects vinyl. Do you only buy 45s or something?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

To be fair, she was only 12.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

dflanny posted:

Got this spare download code:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Go to http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/promo/
UFC: 652637312317
Code: MERCY7E6ICYVQ

Should be good for 3 uses

I am totally listening to my creamy white copy of this right now.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

1000 umbrellas posted:

Aw, guys! Thanks so much! We're looking at being in either Madison or Milwaukee on or around 7/6, and San Diego around 7/22. Let me know if you've got any all ages venue recommendations. We can definitely make that happen.

The artwork for one of those 7"s just got finished today. Check it out:
http://benjihaselhurst.com/conveyor

I'm hoping I can help out when I next get some money. If you can't get a show in Salt Lake on July 11, I could definitely help you book something in Provo and your band would go over extremely well here.

I just saw Twin Sister and Ava Luna from Brooklyn in SLC though and it was fantastic. Picked up both their latest records. I'm hoping Ava Luna gets a sizable fanbase soon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Duckula posted:

ATDI are repressing Vaya for Record Store Day. 500 copies.

The catch? They're only being sold at Coachella.

The fuckers.

"Repressing" certainly is the right word.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

alg posted:

MBV just posted to FB that Loveless and Isn't Anything are being re-mastered for release on May 7

I hope this means LP and I hope I can get them!!

I saw that. Now I won't feel as special for owning both of them already.

Though my copy of Isn't Anything is in exceptionally poor condition so buying the reissue might be in order.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Ratbones posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that old folks will be the majority of the demographic that would bother. I figure though that there must be some people out there that would like to transfer large portions of their collection to digital formats that don't want to deal with the hassle. I also plan to work on other audio recordings, restoring old family recordings and what not. There is a big market for family history stuff around here (Utah). Music is just funner than that naturally!

Yeah if it's going to work anywhere in the world as a business then this is about the only place. I worked at Provo's Graywhale before it closed and a lot of older folks were constantly shocked that we even sold vinyl records, so I'm sure a few of those would like their dusty old collections to be catalogued.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

RizieN posted:

Well I can buy an album in any format, the main format that you can kind of inspect and visually see if the audio is going to be warped is found on a disc made of vinyl. But CDs can have scratches and you can inspect those too. I mean I know its The Vinyl Thread so obviously I'm not inspecting CDs, but I also I kind of thought it'd be ok to say Vinyl.

"Vinyl" is the material. It is grammatically incorrect to pluralize it. You either call them just "vinyl" or "records".

That said, it can be hard to keep oneself from saying "vinyls" even if you know it is incorrect.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Utah goons:

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/beck-blue-series-single

quote:

Inspired by the title of "Blue Randy," an extremely limited run of 100 Tri Color 7-inches will be available beginning 10am on Saturday June 2nd at Randy’s Records at 157 East 900 South in Salt Lake City. An even scarcer scattering of 50 Tri Colors will be randomly inserted in mail orders for the single placed through our online store.

I will definitely be picking one of these up. Maybe two!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well we'll see. Despite being the biggest record store in Utah, this is still Utah after all. Those 150 copies aren't going to fly off the shelf in a day. But if it's one per customer, maybe I'll just have my girlfriend be a second customer (unless she wants her own copy).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love my pink EVOL and purple Sister. But you have no idea how jealous I am of your findings today. That seller must have been one hip muthafucka back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Wronkos posted:

Welp, I finally got it.

I love this record so much. I assume your copy has Side D with the To Be You And Me EP on it. That was a huge surprise for me as the fast version of "Major Label Debut" is one of my all time favorite songs.