Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is it too early to comment on one of the other refreshing things about Vesperia, that of the way romance is handled? Being that it's mostly not. Unless you count flirting, and maybe Rita's crush on Estelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KDavisJr posted:

I'd like to refer back on Barbos' dying words. He stated that Yuri and Don were quite similar: and he said that Yuri will make quite a few enemies in his life (not surprising knowing him. Quite a few current knights aren't exactly his biggest fans). Supposedly murdering Ragou, is an action that can come back to bite him in the rear end. Especially if Ragou is actually not dead ("They haven't yet/never found the body remember).

The two titles Yuri and Repede do say something: no matter what poo poo goes down, regardless of how many people try to kill Yuri, Repede will always be Yuri's partner in crime.
Just going to reiterate, as it is not a spoiler. Ragou is dead. This is not a 'no body = not gone' situation. Fucker is dead. And that's important, because to undo it like that would kill the power of that scene, by retroactively saying that Yuri didn't kill an evil man in cold blood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yaeger really ought to have had that "Y" replaced with a "J." For example, that was one of things caught and corrected in the localization of Valkyria Chronicles. Yaeger is the Americanized form of the name, Jaeger is about as close to the original as you can get without umlauts.

There's almost a reason they went with this spelling, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I always liked Rita's green FS myself. I think that's the one where she points at the enemy and a giant laser shoots out of her finger to kill it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That's pretty accurate. The battle system is amazing and kinda makes all other (US-released, anyway) Tales games look slow paced and boring.

The story, on the other hand... well you'll see.

Other than Asbel being the opposite of Yuri, in being a traditional Tales protagonist, I didn't see the story being strikingly worse than Vesperia. And I may like the overall cast in Graces more. (Not a big fan of Karol or Raven, honestly)

Totally agree about the combat system, although what I've heard about Xillia's might even improve on that. Graces is the first Tales game where I feel like I can fight as any character effectively, instead of trying to play as say, Judy and faceplanting 2 feet from the enemy and wiping.

Edit: And the shank-from-nowhere is a neat surprise, even if it's a bit of a left-field decision. You're either thinking 'time for the final boss' or if you've played one of these games before, 'here's the strategic retreat and regroup for final sidequests', then OHSHITSTABBEDANDFALLINGINTOTHESEA.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

I slapped a costume from that island on judith as soon as i got it and never looked back, so go for it I guess.

The Blackjack dealer outfit?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

It's not an RPG, but Majora's Mask definitely works like that.

Edit: DAMMIT.

Allegedly so will Final Fantasy 13-3.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Was FF13 that popular? Everything I heard pointed to it being rather mediocre.

Lightning is that popular. She's Cloud, except 14 year old boys don't have to question their sexuality when they want to gently caress her.

And back to the comment that made me bring it up, the gimmick in this one is a ticking clock, much like Majora's Mask. Doing stuff like travelling the world map will deplete it, and apparently so will using things like Limit Break attacks. So in theory, if you dick around grinding and sidequesting, you could game over by failing to beat the bad guy in time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeeeah... the series really doesn't have a good track record with bonus dungeons, does it? I think the worst one is still Symphonia's evil book though.

I dunno, Graces' one is pretty solid, because of how it's randomly generated. You only spend 10-20 minutes before being wiped or hitting the boss on each floor, and then you can take a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mizuti posted:

Raven the thirty-something-year-old cracks awful jokes about him being an "old man" every 5 minutes, deus ex machinas are pouring out of the walls, and the sheer amount of fantasy-themed technobabble in the later portions of the game is out of control. The addition of Patty is just the cherry on top of that poo poo sundae (though, thanks for going out of your way to show us the PS3 content). It's a real letdown after how well they handled the lead character.

To be fair, being in your mid-30s, but surrounded by teenagers would make you feel pretty loving old. I feel bad enough at 26 with some of the kids I work with.

• Locked thread