Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Admiral H Curtiss posted:

Yeah, it's a fantastic scene.

I don't know...it scores highly for intent, but both Yuri and Flynn come across as rather inarticulate and awkward in putting forward their respective points of view. Which, I suppose, is OK, since both are supposed to be practical men and not particularly given to spending a lot of time thinking about how to express their thoughts, but it does also somewhat detract from any actual exploration of the concept of justice (a word which Flynn certainly shouldn't be using to describe what Yuri's doing).

Also, Estelle, if you want to accomplish anything in particular in this Empire, you'll need your own extralegal assassin. It'll prove useful to keep Yuri around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Charlett posted:

I'm pretty sure part of Drake's argument is pointing at Confucianism. More specifically, "A great ruler rules from the shadows and does not let his/her people see that s/he is doing anything important."

This is...not what Confucius's instruction to a prince is. The Master's instruction to a ruler is overwhelmingly to lead by example:

Lun Yu, 13.6 posted:

If you yourself are correct, even without the issuing of orders, things will get done; if you yourself are incorrect, although orders are issued, they will not be obeyed.

And certainly not by resorting to being Yuri:

Lun Yu, 12.19 posted:

Sir, in conducting government, why must you resort to killing? If you desire goodness, the people will be good accordingly. The ruler's moral character is wind and the people's moral character, grass. When the grass is visited by the wind, it must surely bend.

And Estelle certainly possesses the basic nature of humanity; she presents a good example through most of her personal dealings. What she doesn't do is adhere to the constant mean, due to an excess of simplicity, or native goodness of heart.

The point being made is very simply what Estelle says it is - that Estelle needs to think more about her actions is fairly obvious. For example, the gentleman should consider, before spending a hour leafing through a translation of Lun Yu in order to get the correct wording of the quote, that he said he was going to update his own LP today.

I'm not a very good Confucian.

Perhaps more relevantly, Estelle needs to stop acting without a goal in mind. She is not a suitable Empress because she doesn't understand what she's trying to or even wants achieve; therefore, almost all her actions are undirected. It's not really enough for a ruler to think individual actions through; without a co-ordinating principle, well-intentioned but undirected actions still have the potential to cause chaos.

Something Estelle very much could do would be to reform the Empire (we've established it needs it) through the power of a cult of personality; she'd need to develop the strength of will to do that, though, and then somehow to find a way to make those changes self-sustaining following her death. What she's currently doing is, um, well, she probably ought to break into Don't Cry For Me, Argentina at the end of her plot arc.

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 29, 2012

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

I would say "but that would need somebody with actual diplomatic skills in the party", but AT3 doesn't exactly clear that bar either, so maybe not. No, Saki, turning people into cake if they will not stop fighting is not diplomacy.

Vil posted:

Also goddammit Sodia, we get that you don't like him, but with looming catastrophes there are more important things to do than shank people we don't like.

On the contrary. The end of the world may well be the only time to shank people we don't like. Can't put something off until tomorrow if tomorrow might not happen.

...not that either method or target will exactly make her popular with Flynn, which she probably ought to have considered before she started. This is where we realise it's a good thing we're not playing the alternate-universe game with Flynn as the protagonist because we'd be in for a bout of JRPG heroine histrionics around now.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

So as far as I can see in these extended conversations, what Duke appears to be saying is that he's happy to turn his life into [creating] a new world for the sake of love.

It's funny how these motivations come around, isn't it?

• Locked thread