Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm planning on playing along Kouli's Sidequest Guide (contains spoilers!) for the most part, so unless it's a really annoying and/or pointless sidequest, you'll see it. Yeah, Tales games have really weird and annoying sidequest triggers.

One sidequest, that returns a ton of titles and prizes, has a cutoff point "leave a town and you lose it."

Guess when I saved to check to see if I had any sidequests I missed. After that, when I played with friends, we made two saves in case of anything else like that.

Anyway, this game is still amazing. Are you going to show off how video poker can break the whole system of "money"? I'll cut that spoiler out if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love the renaming feature. It lets you screw with the narrative in so many ways that I'll talk about once we get there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I always forgot their names and refer to them as Tubbo and Slim.
Anyway, did you know that you can use Estellise in that fight? I found that out by hitting back on my controller on my recent co-op game of this. Because he sucks as Yuri, we immediately swapped controllers, and he learned how to heal.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You should neglect to farm Bird Feather (Medium) from Axebeaks to show off how BAD an idea that is.
Edit:
VVV I remember for a while, the phrase Axebeak!! Kill it! was uttered about 100 times an hour in my co-op run game. Both of us had in our solo runs neglected to farm them, so we suffered having one, when everything you could farm uses two.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 13, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Are you going for Item Hater? I did, made the Gattuso/THAT loving WOLF THING so much more annoying.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The cutscene that happens after it feels really out of place so it leaves a very bad impression of the game.

Cap'n Karol: That wasn't hard at all!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
In Deidon Hold, you meet the best character in the game.
Kaufman is the best, and I will not hear any disagreements on that one.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Other voice actor connections: Our next party member is voiced by the voice of Ai (social link delinquent girl) from Persona 4. The most awesome character, who we're going to meet next update, is voiced by the original Nurse Joy, and the most awesome party member hasn't done much else besides this (Lex Luthor in Mortal Kombat vs. DC universe was the only one of note, and that was barely of note).

Edit edit: made a change- changed my mind. Don't look up who I meant by the last part or you'll spoil a huge twist.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, since I don't think it relates to the plot, but just in case: I became aware of this when I found an island that seemed to contain some sort of stereotypical Japanese High School. I had no idea what it was there for, and couldn't do anything there. It's a mystery that's been gnawing on me for a long, long time.

Unless I'm mistaken, you found the game's Gold Saucer. But not until much later.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Kaufman really is the best character. Any character who tries to buy you before even introducing themselves can't be a bad character. It's too bad she never joins your party. She'd be like that merchant from Jade Empire, except she'd be in skits so it'd be awesome.

Edit: Also, dungeon video would be interesting, except maybe on some of the annoying ones, then it'd just be funny.
Edit edit: Whoops-- didn't notice the cutscene videos.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 15, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

A jargogle posted:

What? What was honestly so special about her? I don't recall disliking her persay, but what on earth did she actually do that so endeared her to you? You can tell us after it's happened in game if you want.

It's mostly her personality; she had priced both Yuri and Estelle in her head the moment she saw them. It's implied she does that to everybody.

She is also the most powerful character in the game once you realize that every shop is run by Fortune's Market.

The third and fourth reasons are mid-game spoilers.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Everyone here has not seen the best one, it seems.

Estelle: Our weapons are love!
Yuri: Justice!
Raven (incredibly creepy voice): Sexuality!
Rita: Will you stop?

Or its sequel:
Yuri: Our weapons are?
Cap'n Karol: Courage!
Raven: Youth!
Judith: Modesty!
Yuri: Yeah, like you all have any of those.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Karol goes from annoying twat, to less annoying twat, to decent character. I start liking him when Yuri stops calling him Cap'n Karol to humor him, and tells him to earn it. I still use that name for him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
And the Azure move. Which is, in my opinion, the best move in the game until you get Chain...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mistaya posted:

It's weird seeing Estelle without glasses. I never took them off her.

I know, right? That was the first thing I made for her, and barring showing off something new, the only thing she wore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What is that indicator over Repede in battle which says "X Gel"? Is he offering one to Yuri, or requesting one for himself?

He's using one. If you're going for the no-items-until-an-arbitrary-point title and you see that, hit RB really fast.

Or you could just go to Strategy and disallow everyone from using items.

Which I did, after seeing Repede try to Orange Gel me.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 20, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Materant posted:

Note that Zagi was with that group, and we've already seen exactly how single-minded he is. I doubt he'd have much of an issue manhunting Yuri across the continent if it came to it, orders or not.

Zagi wasn't with that group.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Whoops. Mi dispiace. Wrong group. I thought you meant the LeBlanc squad or whatever they're called right now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
She's actually a well fleshed out character. Also, whenever you want Karol to be hit, she's there to do it for you.

To quote my friend: It's like, I want him to be hit, and then she does it.

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm trying to figure out who Rita's voice actress is, but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone want to help me out?

Michelle Ruff.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had a really hard time taking Rita out of my party. She's just so loving ridiculously powerful.

Of course, I also kept Repede in my party, and Yuri, and most of the time Estelle. Kind of boring, I know. I replaced Repede with a later character a lot since my girlfriend loved playing as her Judith

That party sorely lacks the best character. Raven

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
She's Katherine in Catherine. I can't wait for that.

Thunk posted:

She's also your avatar.

Yeah, I knew that, but I wasn't going to say anything.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 25, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

wdarkk posted:

Also I'm wondering if it's ever possible to do over 100k with Rita's Meteor Storm.

Mechanics talk, spoilers
If you ever want to break an Xbox 360 framerate, follow these four simple steps.
1) Equip Meteor Storm on Rita
2) Equip Heavy Magic(Damage and Cost up) on Rita
3) Go Overlimit 1
4) Spam Meteor Storm
5) Watch all basic enemies, and even some bosses, die before all your overlimit is out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I love that she says "ZAP" when, if I remember correctly her only Electric Arte is an Altered Arte. It's a fun one, mind, but still altered.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah but it's Thunder Blade, the best lightning arte after Indignation. Also, I think her wind Burst Arte has some lightning in it.

Around the time you would logically get that, you also get Meteor Storm. You thus never really need to use it.

As a non-spoilery conversation: What does everyone think of Flynn for now from all the hearsay?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Remember guys, Aer is everywhere, even in blastia.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RentCavalier posted:

I just beat the Tower of Gears and we're starting a guild. Anyone care to give me a ball park of how far I have to go?

1) Your spoiler tag is messed up.
2) You're about at the 1/3 point of the game, give or take.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Yeah, you need an extra "Special Flag R", but yes you can.

Speaking of which! I just got the Special Flag in my last recording session (stopped after Ehmead Hill), any preferences on which character I should start running around towns and dungeons? If not I'll just leave Yuri for now.

Rita. Or Yuri is fine too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I went for the item hater achievement in my playthrough of Vesperia. So I could not use items on Gattuso. This was my first playthrough of the game as well... (It was my personal second, but the save file we used hadn't beaten the game), and thus, no bonuses to make it easier. We play on Hard mode. :suicide:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

You are insane.

My friend and I eventually did it, but not before attempting to get a third person around to support as Rita or Estelle so we could control our main damage dealer(Yuri), our main support, and our Mage at the same time to keep them away from the Gattuso. Our other characters refusing to avoid him and getting the Secret Mission were the two hard parts of the boss fight for us.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, I was never as big a fan of her as most people I know. I actually liked the cast dynamic as it is, and I thought that throwing her in threw it off. Show off the content, though, so I can see what I missed. The OTHER big reason the PS3 version is lauded, however, I can understand.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Raitzeno posted:

Which of the following drinking games would kill you fastest after it starts?

Every time Estelle quotes a book, take a shot.
Every time Rita is mean to Karol, take a shot.
Every time Yuri is mean to Karol, take a shot.
Every time Flynn is mentioned while he is not in the same town, take a shot.
Every time you-know-who pervs out, take a shot.
Every time the other you-know-who teases Yuri, take a shot.
Every time a Knight yells Yuri's name, take a shot.

2,3,4,5, and 6 will all kill you rather quickly, but 4 will slowly wane now that we've met Flynn.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SweaterGear posted:

If you want to drink to death, drink every time someone says "Blastia", "Aer", or "Guild".

Don't you know? Aer is everywhere.
Hell, a drinking game could go on based on how many times my friends said that quote.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mors Rattus posted:

If you want to die, it's 'Every time the camera moves to show you that yes, Repede is still here, despite him not doing a drat thing in the scene.'

If you want to die faster, use "every time Yuri does something that you would never see LloydFlynn doing."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SIGSEGV posted:

Drink everytime a character is smarter than Lloyd or Colette.

Death is certain. Get some good booze, make your departure fun.

That's just binge drinking.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RentCavalier posted:

Lablanc, of course.

And then his superior is the superior who's just the chill guy who thinks the angry chief is being angry for nothing.
(I forget whether or not that character is really like that.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Elite posted:

Actually who was Yuri's boss when he was still in the knights / Who is Flynn's current boss?

Flynn is actually in the same brigade as LeBlanc, the Schwann Brigade. We don't meet Schwann for a while.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He is also the member of the party who provides the greatest quote at the end when used with the three members who you shouldn't remove from the party.
Good point.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 15, 2011

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

loving Brionac sidequest, that thing is completely impossible to figure out without guides.

I had a heart attack when I checked the guide around this point, and noticed that I had missed the "see [name redacted] again part of the sidequest, and thus could have missed it. Luckily that part was not required.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I rather dislike Patty in general, and I have seen her entire story arc on my friend's PS3 copy (with a translation script). I was neutral to her when she first showed up, but by the end I was groaning whenever she appeared on screen. She's just... not as complex as the other party members, and it shows. In most of the scenes, she seemed like an afterthought, if not entirely shoehorned in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Edit: Accidentally hit post. Meant to delete.

Cut: long sperg about why Patty is just useless.

• Locked thread