Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I spent the last week or two reading all this, seems like a pretty good game. Of course I had to catch up right before the big confrontation to the guy behind it all :eng99:

Yuri seems like a cool dude and even though I like the cast, I can't help but feel he might've been even better in a group of people more mature. Sure, you have some nice scenes where he helps Karol grow up, but it would've been a very nice chance of pace if there was more stuff like his debate with Flynn.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

...Listen well, Yuri Lowell. Your very existence is hurting our Captain. Stay away from him!

Looks like Captain Flynn has a secret admirer!

I saw it as more "Get your hands off my daughter! :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Why did he spend all that time using a bow if he doesn't even fight for real with one?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I would say they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making a fully playable character just to kill them off, but they went and did exactly that in the two games made directly after this one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So it went from Raven is a traitor to Raven actually cares about the group to Raven is dead to nevermind Raven is back alive again and is perfectly fine all in the span of a few minutes? This scene should've been at least a little further in.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Senerio posted:

This scene, or rather the lack of one like it, is the main reason I prefer this game to Abyss. (Also this is when I use the renaming feature to call Raven Schwann from now on)

Anise is a traitor for the apparent main villain.
She had as much of a choice as Schwann/Raven, albeit for different reasons, and is welcomed back to the group with open arms with pretty much no repercussions at all.

It bugged me more in that game than in this, though it helps that Raven is, by far, my favorite party member and that Anise still is my least favorite party member in any Tales game.

Raven is not a 12 year old girl though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Raven also isn't buddies with some of the most politically powerful people in the planet with the most advanced transportation technology available. The whole thing in Abyss was just dumb.

Uh, Alexi is exactly that. Like, literally the same thing. He also doesn't seem to be doing it for any reason other than because he could, Anise had her parents kidnapped.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The dungeons in general seem pretty terrible, I can't think of any you've gone through that you haven't called bad. It's a shame they seem pretty Tales standard, which says a lot about the series really. Hopefully you won't have to switch between parties while riding incredibly tedious moving platforms every few seconds.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, it was Graces F I was thinking of. Abyss is like a huge 80 hour blur to me, but if they really thought that dungeon gimmick was good enough to use twice, that makes it even worse than I thought.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

For some reason I find Sodia really annoying. She doesn't seem to be doing that much, but every time she's around I just kinda stop caring.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think he was planning on actually firing it, Zagi blowing poo poo up is what made the aer all crazy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So this is from waaay back, did they ever tell us what it was Estelle needed to contact Flynn about? She said his life was in danger, but we never really see what she meant. It couldn't have been Zagi, because she only just met him the same time Yuri did.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

These games really love taking away your healer for an extended period, don't they. I realize Karol is apparently better at it, but I always find myself anxious when I don't have someone doing it fulltime.

Wild Knight posted:

Yeah, this was right before they started actually using more advanced animation techniques (i.e., motion capture) in the Tales series, so I didn't mind the shift into anime. If anything, it's more jarring in Graces, which I felt basically was a 3D anime thanks to the more advanced animation, so the anime scenes that did happen looked oddly flat.
Yeah, Graces' look like poo poo. Really makes me wonder how much it costs to make the things, when they'd be better off just using stuff ingame. I didn't really mind the cutscene that just happened, though it makes me wonder when the last one was. Was it Estelle reviving the giant tree?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I find it weird Yuri smacked Karol's rear end out of the way, but did nothing for Rita. Surely she would go flying too.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The game actually has that, if it's like the others. You can even put them in whatever formation you want. I never think to actually use it, though, since it's only situationally useful.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

For a bit there I thought Yuri was going to continue his murdering quota with Ioder. Pretty glad he didn't, though. Leaving the lower quarter to die was neglectful, but he wasn't being cartoonishly evil like the last few guys.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It wasn't the threat that made me think that, it was before that cutscene even happened. It was a lot like what happened before Cumore was killed. Seeing Yuri walking away from town and Ioder walking up to him kinda told me it wasn't his plan afteral.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Can't say I disagree with ol' Stabbey_the_Clown, Raven's fun but this is so not the time to be back to completely normal. He should've stayed in his Schwann persona at least until this whole mess is done with.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So is it me, or does Flynn's uniform keep changing? Early on the bottom half was more blue, but then it became what it is now, so I assumed it was a ranking thing, but it changed back at some point, and now it changed again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Sounds like a plan. I'm considering LPing Graces. Why do I hate myself :gonk:?

Cause you don't, that game is awesome.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Just cut out the dungeons and like half of the plot-related stuff. Surely the game would be much better off without them, right?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The stakes haven't been raised high enough yet, I think. Alexi looks like he wants to take over the world when usually the bad guys want to completely destroy it.

We also haven't gotten extra costumes yet, which generally happens right before the final dungeons. Or in Symphonia's case, right at the very end of the final dungeon, if you turn around and leave.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So at what point were they actually friends? If I recall, Yaeger helped them out one time, but before that he put them through all kinds of hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

What was Sodia really expecting? They already had this discussion before and Yuri established he doesn't care what she says, so why bother trying when they're right at Alexi? Sodia is an annoying girl. Also...

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

At some point you're going to have to show him using this along with his second cameo costume.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Man, DC Douglas hammed the poo poo out of that. I couldn't take anything seriously when I was expecting him to talk about complete global saturation or something.

Senerio posted:

They say it so often that it's ingrained into my head.
I intentionally mistype it because I want to disrespect that game as much as humanly possible.
Basically I want to show that game as little respect as it shows its female characters.

In what way did that game show them less respect than this one? I'm not saying it was well written, but this is just fishing for criticism.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of vigilante justice?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I kind of agree with the comparison to Graces. Vesperia's high points are better, but its low points are worse because of what they could've been (so far at least, I don't know what's coming next). Graces on the other hand never really pretends to be anything more than typical anime. The cast in Graces is also better for mostly the same reason, Malik is better than Raven in every single way, for instance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

She's probably one of the worst in this game, but I don't think she could ever be as bad as say, Kratos or Regal.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh I am confused you think Kratos and Regal are worse then Sodia.

Sodia has never said anything as pretentious as this

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm sorry I don't get it. It's a somewhat funny line but I don't get what you mean.

Regal is meant to be a badass and he ends up coming off as incredibly annoying and creepy. That line is just the easiest way to show how badly written he was.

As for Kratos, he essentially blurts out his biggest plot twist in like, his second line and all his other twists shortly after.

Sodia does neither of these things.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There's gotta be some kind of "Yuri is dead" fan theory from that. If there isn't, I'll make one myself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think getting sneaked up on by a woman in full armor kind of discredits him a little.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Classy Hydra posted:

He was a bit distracted at the time by the sky breaking.

That's no excuse. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Adus posted:

A known murderer? I don't think he's told anyone but his friends and I'm sure that's not info they're just yelling out loud everywhere.
Isn't he wanted for killing them now?

Oh hey, question to everyone. We're soon going to get a couple costumes for our party members. For story scenes, should I put some of them on, or should I keep the default ones and leave the costumes for sidequest content only?

I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but might as well make sure before I record.

You might as well put them on. One of my favorite things about Tales games is your ability to change costumes whenever you want.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I just assumed Duke took a bit to actually find Yuri and brought him to his house recently. The group probably already checked there.

So does Patty not get a scene?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, Sebastian was the name of Zelos' butler in Symphonia. I almost want to say there's another one, but I think I might be misremembering.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I feel the opposite way, really. We all know we're stuck with these characters the entire game, having a secret club for three of them was just really weird. Might as well just assume they're all a guild now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

This whole thing seems really confusing. I sort of get why Undine suddenly got created, but why does this mean Estelle no longer has to worry about using her powers?

Also Oon-deen really Tales stick to one pronunciation dammit

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Oh come on, the dungeon is very annoying regardless.

It's funny because this could be about literally any Tales game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It's kind of eerie how well that Mithos one fits. I generally like cameo costumes because I'm a huge lamer and this game's seem alright. Repede getting an Asura costume is pretty hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Richter's costume looks better on a woman than it did on him. I think that says a lot about his getup. Dhaos has a similar problem in Xillia.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 4, 2013

• Locked thread