Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Yeah, as far as "Tales of" goes, Yuri is the best protagonist. He has a solid background, has defined flaws and strengths, Is NOT whiny about his flaws, even while trying to work with them, and doesn't get broken out of character. He is a snarky rear end in a top hat, without being unlikable. That takes some skill in writing. Not to mention he is a refreshing break from all the white knight in shining armor protagonists running around. Don't worry, we meet the knight later, he is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

There are personal ones, but they usually lie in the hands of the rather powerful. one person asked what these people are nobles of, since lords usually have land and the like, well, instead of land, it means you control a portion of the blastia supply. The leaders of guilds generally have a pretty good supply on hand as well. At least the leaders of powerful guilds.
Not the kinds of people you want mad at you.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I thought you had to synth up a flag or something like that in order to change your character on the screen. I do remember that it wouldn't let me play as Repede though.
Speaking of synths; I guess I was one of the weird ones who liked the white hat on Yuri more then the black one. Estelle still looks odd without the glasses on though.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

You should cycle through the characters based off of who the plot if currently focusing on. Yuri will be your standby.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I like it.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

CrookedB posted:

Behaviour-wise, Patty seems to be Eiko and Anise combined, at least to me.

Oh great. Two characters I really hate in one body. Wonderful. Yeah, you aren't the only one who thinks so...

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I would prefer to see Yuri in the * Hat(Color matters little, though I prefer white) and Estelle in the glasses. She just looks weird without them on.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

There is a special skill for that, that looks absolutely useless. You will know it when you see it.
If you really feel like knowing what it is, there is a skill that reduces all damage output to 1. Looks useless, but is actually a godsend for farming grade.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

hahaha. Gotta love inter-service rivalry.

Lance Streetman posted:

Stuff about uniforms.
Well. Yeah, even then we do still wear the colors of the union, with that flag on our right shoulder. But our uniforms are different in the details. It is how you can tell a Soldier from a Marine from a Flyboy. Well, that and the haircut.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

I get the feeling that we are going to make Cumore go die in the future, and someone in the Hunting Blades will get their rear-ends handed to them.

Also Karol's tendency of running off is starting to bug me.

Humm, yeah. Karol gets better about it... actually I think it is part of a major plot point.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Yup. Puppy Repede is still one of the cuter things.

As to the art book... not a clue.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Yes! It's back! Thanks for this. it is fun to see other playstyles.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

It is less that it has no color, more that it is perpetually dusk there. I am sure it would be more colorful if you were able to go there during normal hours.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

So far? I would say... the best would be Yuri.
Yuri is pretty much the opposite of a normal JRPG protagonist, in that he is snarky instead of upbeat, Jaded rather then optimistic, and has a penchant for getting the dirty deed done, rather then complaining about how it is wrong. Basically, the opposite of Lloyd from Symphonia. (Not that Lloyd was bad, just... too much an archtype.)

The worst on the other hand...
This is pretty difficult, I can see a case for both Estelle and Karol in here, but neither of them are actually weak characters. Estelle is very much the princess in a tower, and Karol is very much the spunky young brat. But having played this before I know they both grow from that into much more... Really, as far as party members go, I can't really say there are any truly "Bad" characters. Just ones who haven't had their chance to shine. So I would rate them a tie right now. Once they hit their arcs though, this one will be loving impossible to truly answer though.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

hah. She is a fun person yeah. Whoever wrote her had a good sense of humor, and her voice actor sounded like she was having fun.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

RelentlessImp posted:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the way the AI handles Judith... but in my first playthrough, the AI frequently had me alternately dropping my jaw to the floor with constant aerial juggles, and getting mildly upset that she'd just interrupted a Yuri artes combo.

Judith is really a stunning character if you can handle her playstyle of constant air maneuvers. They just don't play well with others most of the time.

Yeah, but other times they do. I had one enemy get air juggled by Judith into a Reaper knock by Karol, which knocked it into a spot targeted for grave just as it went off, followed by Yuri beating the poo poo out of it in a full ground combo. It was one of the most amazing battles I had ever seen.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I will say this now, since there is no point in hiding it, Yuri did kill him. He does NOT come back. This scene is a key point in the plot, and the others... know what he did. You will see how they react.
This was the point where I stopped liking Yuri as an Anti-hero protagonist and started loving him. This scene was just that drat powerful. It was said in the earlier in the thread, Yuri is a protagonist that does the things you wish you could do in the game. "Damnit, that guy sucks hard. I want him dead for what he did. Why is he getting away with it?" Followed up by an immediate "Holy poo poo!"

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Madrick11 posted:

It's pretty easy to see why everyone loves this scene since it's something you wouldn't normally expect from a JRPG. It's nice to see a main character take initiative and do what has to be done. Even though it may not be a particularly favorable action to take, Yuri has undeniably saved several other people from suffering the same torture that Ragou put others through.

Not only that, but he has taken justice into his own hands, this is a character defining moment. Where he stops wanting to do things and does them. The moral ambiguity and the fact that the game doesn't call it right or wrong, and in many places and ways; argues both cases. That is what I found amazing about the writing. I found this was the place the game really started to come into it's own. Where the plot started to pick up.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Yeah, if it had been a Hollywood death it would have cheapened the whole game. If you want to buy it, do so. The battle system is fun and fluid, traveling the world map isn't a bad thing; and it opens up fairly rapidly, and the amount of stupid anime tropes are kept to a minimum, and when used are used well.
I was definitely happy with my purchase of the game. (I still play it, and I bought it when it was first released in America.) Mind you, it has it's fair share of stupid things, but they are easy to overlook, or not use.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

No, they don't. Only Repede does, which is the implication of the end of that scene. Flynn figures it out pretty quick, but doesn't say anything, and everyone else is unaware for now.

Also, good work picking up the hat before that scene. Too bad the outfit is only half-done.

Ok, they don't know. But they aren't stupid. They guess. We will see it when the scenes comes up. Saying anything more is just too spoilerish though.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Before people start voting... We don't get to actually name it. Sorry.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

For some reason, Rita smiling is extremely unsettling. Like, I got shivers down my spine.

Yeah, as I recall, the first time I saw this scene she was so... Cheerful. It was rather creepy.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Bring the two scared kids. Oh please bring the two scared kids... If I remember correctly there are a few scenes in this ship that are just something amazing with those two.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I am surprised no one is catching it... Sigh... once it is no longer a spoiler I will be complaining heavily.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Ehn, sorry for the derail, it's just that the way it was handled... I just... :negative: It made my brain hurt...

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

vdate posted:

How to set up a guild to be a long con? Simple- don't. At least, don't set it up for a specific con- treat it like an emergency tool. Run it like it's a legit business, with a few utterly loyal people near the top. For all intents and purposes, you can BE a legit business. Then, when you encounter a problem you can't solve any other way, you always have your little escape hatch to fall back on. And who would ever suspect p-p-poor st-t-uttering Regeay?

Especially since it was set up to be nigh inviolate, what with another of the top guilds saying he was not guilty based on reputation alone. I know the power of reputation, and if you cultivate a spotless record, you can do all sorts of shady poo poo on the side and no one will expect it to be you. In fact, they will outright ignore evidence that points to you, because who could believe that? It is entirely out of character for the person! Or so they think. But you have to be careful, for as good a tool as it is,it is very fragile. All it takes is one screw up to out you. And once your rep is screwed it stays that way for quite some time.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

My big problem is that in a game where people are pretty drat smart, you have a backwards name thing go on. How does no one notice this poo poo... I saw it the first time through before the reveal and seriously thought that Yuri or Rita were gonna call him out on it, or at least have Judith make some sideways comment about it... It gave me a bit of a headache, and really irritated me. It should be no surprise that I consider this part of the games writing to be the worst of it. Which is to say, slightly above average rather then really good. Oh well.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Have you ever seen pictures of people who live in deserts? They wear a lot of stuff. It gives them portable shade and keeps the wind from blowing too much sand in their faces. At least that is how I rationalized it.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

There are plot flags, character flags, and who got the killing blow definitely has an effect. Status effects can add some random things, how much health you had at the end has an effect as well. What else is there... oh, occasionally the weapon(s) equipped might change it and if you are wearing a costume title you might get something else.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Isn't it some kind of curry?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Judith is actually surprisingly young. But as far as age groups in a tales game(Or jrpg in general) this one has a pretty balanced group of people age wise. None of them are geriatric fucks that still somehow hit like a truck, and though a few are kids, none of them are really in a command or leadership role. Even with Karol the leader of Brave Vesperia, he still makes few decisions without using Yuri or the rest of the group as a sounding board, and Rita is a researcher through and through, and is known for being an eccentric genius with no person or leadership skills. But that is true for most people in power in this game. Most of them actually make sense for their position age wise. We don't have any child generals, or rulers(The youngest leader; Ioder being at least 18 I believe)

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Ahhahaha that last skit, oh man you are going to love how that plays out fully.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Gods some of the sidequests are utter asses to do. Whats that? Next part of the story is in Dahngrest? Welp, time to faff off to the other side of the world! because if you do go there, you miss the window that the little scene shows up in! gently caress.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I really hope this one isn't dead... been about 10 days since the last post. This is a good lp.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I ended up writing it all down. Basically came up with a code of letters meaning things so the seafood whatever was "c" sandwiches were "s" salads were "sa"... still ended up having to grab a friend to do the writing and used up a loving pad of paper... And I STILL managed to gently caress it up a few times. That sidequest is horrible. I liked the costumes though. Having everyone fighting in a waiter costume was sorta funny.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

...wut.
You. can. pause...
oh for fucks sake.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

No what amazes me is that they are able to eat that goddess damned much and still retain a perfect figure.
I never thought of pausing... Welp.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

It would be an interesting dichotomy. Flynn is very much the white knight archtype that tales usually has as their MC. (Using a lot of demonic names for artes though) Flynn is much more cut from the same cloth as Cress, or Lloyd in terms of ability names and the like. He also seems to be gathering a party of his own and deals with a similar number of situations at the same time as Yuri and his group is dealing with their own problems. The whole Yuri/Flynn dynamic has been talked about before though. I would be interested in seeing how they write him during those parts where he gets the odd orders but does them anyways.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

I take it one of them involves the Mstic Arte.

Well duh. I love the fact that Karol is the first one to get a mystic arte in the game. It is a fun diversion from the MC always getting the power move first or at the same time as the rest.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Yes, yes. I know that. It is still nice to have the option though. A bit of a refreshing change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

You can't account for crazy. Truly crazy and dangerous people are just as likely to jump off a bridge as they are to cross it. And with the same reason for both decisions.

• Locked thread