Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Everyone who's ridden motorcycles, or hell, spent enough time hanging around people who ride motorcycles has undoubtedly overheard some really stupid or just :wtf: poo poo.

I got the idea for this thread from TFR's Overheard stupid GUN RELATED poo poo thread which is consistently equal parts hilarious and :psyduck:. Like guns, bikes are one of those things that a ton of people think they know a lot about from second hand stories and popular media, most of which is ridiculously wrong. Let's try to keep it to actual stories or overheard statements and not "Harley guys think that front brakes are death switches" generalisms, or else the thread will be full of them awful fast.

I'll start it off with the guy who owned my house before me. He stopped by one day to see what the place looked like and since I was working on de-greasing my bike's engine we got to talking bikes.

Turns out he had a Ninja back in the 80s. Since he bought it used, the first thing he did after riding it home was give it a top-to-bottom scrubbing, shining up all the exposed unpainted plastic with Armor All. Unfortunately, he also decided to shine up the seat.

Taking his nice shiny new bike out for a spin, he slid off the seat at the first spirited turn and the bike went off into a curb, flipped, and was basically destroyed. It was all I could do not to laugh at the guy, but I kept it in check.

So, let's hear what kind of things you've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad's a mechanic at a Harley dealership, which I worked at a little as well, so I could fill a couple pages with stories. The most recent one I can think of was a guy who was complaining that his pipes had turned blue underneath his heat shields. He also had little chromed plastic caps on all the bolt heads, including on the ABS module, which is behind another cover.

Although one of my favorites was the guy that pulled into the parking lot driving a BMW, got out and put on a leather jacket, and went inside to shop.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I feel like we can dispatch with "how fast will it go" and "can you wheelie" right off the bat as well.

I posted this up in another thread but it fits here I suppose:
Hah, I'm poking thru looking for examples but I think most of the braking ones are single posts of "But I thought using the front brake would make me flip over the bars?" and the like. There's one on panic braking in this riding tip forum below, but it's mainly little squabbles over how much rear brake. Here's a counter steering thread where 1 or 2 people have a grip on bike physics and how they turn at speed, half of them vaguely understand counter-steering and half of them decide "gently caress it, it works".

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=76151

cmh_sprint;657404 posted:

+1. Why try to strip down one of the most enjoyable things you can do to the science of why it works. Accept it and smile.

I'll tell you why, so I can learn more, then go faster than you. If people didn't care we'd still be riding bikes like ones in the 60s.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
The classic "I don't wear a helmet because at speed I'd be dead anyway, helmet or no."
I hear this one way too much.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was driving an ice cream truck last summer, and some guy came limping out with his wallet so he could buy some spongebobs or something for his kids. I noticed he had roadrash all along his legs and arms, and some on his face. As I was getting the kids ice cream, I overheard him talking to his neighbor about why he was all hosed up. He said he had a car pull in front of him on his harley, so he had to lay it down. I always felt it was kind of an urban legend thing, I couldn't believe someone would actually be stupid enough to do that.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

As the owner of a Harley Sportster S model I get a lot of questions about what the lumps hanging off the shox and what the clickers are on the forks.

Also it gets called a girl bike all the time by those on big twins. :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The only time I've heard "lay 'er down" used "correctly" was racers talking about avoiding a much worse crash by sliding up into the hay bales. Like "My engine detonated and locked my rear wheel, so I had to lay it down so I didn't high side".

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slim Pickens posted:

I was driving an ice cream truck last summer, and some guy came limping out with his wallet so he could buy some spongebobs or something for his kids. I noticed he had roadrash all along his legs and arms, and some on his face. As I was getting the kids ice cream, I overheard him talking to his neighbor about why he was all hosed up. He said he had a car pull in front of him on his harley, so he had to lay it down. I always felt it was kind of an urban legend thing, I couldn't believe someone would actually be stupid enough to do that.

Hah, I heard a "lay er down" story from my friend's dad the other day. He has a Magna that's beautiful and a old Goldwing he just bought and is painting himself, a cool guy. He told a story about a crazy guy he knows who rides big HDs who came into the shop when my friend's dad was stopped in buying something. Crazy guy was covered in rash and rode in with the bars to the left and the wheel to the right. Apparently he was running behind a van on a 2 lane viaduct and pulled out to pass him, only to be greeted by a broken down truck in the right lane. Of course he didn't swerve or brake or any of that pussy poo poo, he layed 'er down and slid into the truck's tires. The guy in the truck apparently asks if he's insured or anything and the crazy dude says no, so the guy tells him to just get out of there since there's no damage to the truck. He rides it a couple miles to the shop and that's where the story started.

Every time I hear or read a lay 'er down story I'd kill to have been able to actually witness the accident. Something tells me a lot of them are situations I encounter daily.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
As an MSF instructor teaching in Wisconsin, I get to hear some great ones.

Never use your front brake. It'll just flip you over the handle bars and kill you.

Never wear a helmet. In a low speed crash it'll cause whip-lash and break your neck making you paralyzed.

Harleys are all American made with all American parts. (no idea why this still persists)

If you think you're going to crash into something forget the brakes and just bail off the bike.

If you're going to crash into something, lock the rear brake and lay it down. Sliding on the metal and skin(don't ask) will slow you faster than trying to use your brakes all the way to the obstacle.

Counter steering is a myth you just need to grab the bars like you mean it and really force the bike to do what you want it to.

The only motorcycles made (assembled) in America are harleys.

Doesn't matter what bike it is, hold the throttle wide open when you hit the starter button.

Motorcycle tires are just like car tires. It doesn't matter if they are 10 - 15 years old, they'll be OK.

Should I continue? (and hell I've only been instructing for a year)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I'll just copy and paste from the local sportbike group on Facebook.

quote:

Ignac: i learned why the F3 corners like a pig .... 20psi no bueno LoL it feels much better now

J Rod: Yeah that's way too low, a mechanic told me about 32 front/ 31 rear for these hot conditions

Gsxrrone: unless you are riding at a higher skill level go with 2 to 4 pounds below manufacture recommendation if you do 32 to 34 lbs you are trowing the tires away they go quick i ride much i run 38 rear 36 front and works great ask anyone about how your tire wear when not using proper tire pressure they go quick ! sucks when you have to buy tires once imagine buying 4 times in a year been there 3 sets of tires and isnt not even half of the year yet.

Me: Running under-inflated on the street doesn't help with tire wear. It will accellerate wear, cause heat buildup, and increase rolling resistance, all of which give you lower fuel economy, poor performance, and higher tire bills.

J G: BUT... if you are riding aggressively, you have to decrease your pressures. This, while decreasing tire wear, increases the contact patch on the road. That combined with increased heat (as stated above) equals increased traction.

Me: If you are riding that aggressively, you shouldn't be on the street. Modern street tires offer far more traction under street conditions than the average rider is capable of needing.

J G: The point is that if you are commuting, recommended pressures are fine. If you are gonna hit some twisties, lower your pressures 10-20%.

Gsxrrone: Ok my turn Ignac is still rides at a very smoth paste he doesn't ride like you J G or me yet (right Ignac)" I hope " I still use 38 psi on the rear 36 on the front manufacture said 42 rear 38 front and I am not as bad as Jody he is ave of 120 mph guy I am more like 65 Mph more likely I need less grip on the roads but that pressure works for me considering my body weight too is perfect may be a guy the weights 180 will need to go 35 psi I am 230 so 38 psi works perfect I am sure the way you ride Ignac 38 psi. Be great even 40 psi be perfect but 38 will work once it gets hot pressure will increase slowly but you be fine trust me well you saw the video on LCR the first minute and half is me riding there my presure is 38 never went below that and ride the crap of those tires . Well good luck brother keep the tires at the proper psi and it will help to lean easier lmao.\

..... :psyboom:

And people wonder why I don't want to ride with them.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
There's a guy at my work place (an extremely typical financial industry cubicle type job) who talks about how he's in a biker gang and is having to "lay low" because of some drama and how one of his gang members got shot at 400 miles away in some other city. I can't decide whether it's funnier that he thinks he's in a gang or that him being in it means some guys from some other accountant-filled gang are going to drive across the entire state to go shoot up his typical suburban home.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hayden. posted:

There's a guy at my work place (an extremely typical financial industry cubicle type job) who talks about how he's in a biker gang and is having to "lay low" because of some drama and how one of his gang members got shot at 400 miles away in some other city. I can't decide whether it's funnier that he thinks he's in a gang or that him being in it means some guys from some other accountant-filled gang are going to drive across the entire state to go shoot up his typical suburban home.

Man I've got one of those guys in my group. Gave me poo poo about riding a Honda. Then we went riding and made him ride a full 100 miles (ha) without stopping, and he shutup.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Several years ago I stopped by Nebraska Motorcycle for some parts, I was riding an FZR600, lightly modded, not breaking any barriers but it was a decently quick bike. Some guy strikes up conversation, asks me how big my bike is and I tell him it's a 600. He goes, "Heh, I bet that thing's pretty slow then huh :smug:" At first I was like wtf but ah you see his Harley is a 1200 so obviously it's twice as fast!! Boy was there egg on my face

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

blugu64 posted:

a full 100 miles (ha) without stopping, and he shutup.

100 miles is a trip to the gas station.

And then to the gas station on the way back...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

As an MSF instructor teaching in Wisconsin, I get to hear some great ones.

:words::derp::krakken::psyboom:

Please tell me your "position of authority" allows you to lay the smack down on all of this insanity and drill some reasonable thoughts into their heads.

Raven457 posted:

Gsxrrone: Ok my turn Ignac is still rides at a very smoth paste he doesn't ride like you J G or me yet (right Ignac)" I hope " I still use 38 psi on the rear 36 on the front manufacture said 42 rear 38 front and I am not as bad as Jody he is ave of 120 mph guy I am more like 65 Mph more likely I need less grip on the roads but that pressure works for me considering my body weight too is perfect may be a guy the weights 180 will need to go 35 psi I am 230 so 38 psi works perfect I am sure the way you ride Ignac 38 psi. Be great even 40 psi be perfect but 38 will work once it gets hot pressure will increase slowly but you be fine trust me well you saw the video on LCR the first minute and half is me riding there my presure is 38 never went below that and ride the crap of those tires . Well good luck brother keep the tires at the proper psi and it will help to lean easier lmao.\

... what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? :psyduck:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Boat posted:

... what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? :psyduck:

It means punctuation and intelligible sentences, just like helmets and safe driving, are for PUSSIES. Come on man, I don't even ride and I know that. *drives Celica into lake*

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"smothe paste" is a rickyism for the ages. smothe paste is what he'll leave on the pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3QHoqfhX8

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 19, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Synonamess Botch posted:

Several years ago I stopped by Nebraska Motorcycle for some parts, I was riding an FZR600, lightly modded, not breaking any barriers but it was a decently quick bike. Some guy strikes up conversation, asks me how big my bike is and I tell him it's a 600. He goes, "Heh, I bet that thing's pretty slow then huh :smug:" At first I was like wtf but ah you see his Harley is a 1200 so obviously it's twice as fast!! Boy was there egg on my face

I've gotten that so many times, exclusively from cruiser dudes and non-motorcycle guys.

"Aww, what a cute little bike" *wobbles like a motherfucker as he tries to control his huge MANLY BIKE WITH APEHANGERS through slow traffic*

"So what does that do, like 0-100kph in 12-15 seconds or something?"

"That's smaller than the engine in my Smart Car, how can you even handle highway driving on that thing?"

"Get off the road until you get a REAL MAN'S BIKE!" *Chugs along on 883 Sportster*

And the ever classic "My friend/cousin/hairdresser/uncle/son/accountant used to ride motorcycles until he hit a single invisible pebble on the road and KILLED HIMSELF!" I swear I get that at least once at every single party or friendly gathering I go to.

Thankfully, they're not all bad. There's a guy at work who rides a Yamaha XV1700 Wildstar, he's great fun talking bikes with since he's had just about every kind of bike until he decided that what he really wanted was a rumbly sofa on wheels.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

KozmoNaut posted:

And the ever classic "My friend/cousin/hairdresser/uncle/son/accountant used to ride motorcycles until he hit a single invisible pebble on the road and KILLED HIMSELF!" I swear I get that at least once at every single party or friendly gathering I go to.

If sufficiently drunk I begin my answer to this with "well they were probably a moron".

When feeling more civil, anytime I hear the "deathtrap" argument (be it from sisters, mothers, brothers, nurses, whatever) I usually respond to their "got a bike and hurt themselves" with "well I got a bike and I've been having a loving AMAZING time riding for 5 years without a major incident. Sure, accidents will happen, but if you ride defensively and take the time to learn proper skills on a bike, you can have a great time and be relatively safe."

Just seeing motorcycle accident stats should make a rational person come around. Car/bike accidents are often intersections and rear end situations so prep for that can help. Single motorcycle accidents are often rider error, and when you see than a majority of those crashing riders have had no formal training (and a often some percentage have alcohol in their system), it really makes me feel better about my odds. Combine that with the lack of gear of many riders and I'm almost cocky...till I hit the ground I guess.

For sure, riding is definitely a dangerous undertaking and wrecks and death can happen with no fault to the rider or just from unpredictable circumstances. Saying that, a smart rider can set it up so the deck is stacked in their favor. A good training of street defensive riding from something like the MSF, riding within your limits and respecting visibility and conditions can lead to a long love of motorcycles I feel. That's all from a fairly new rider so take it for what it's worth.

In all, I don't feel like it's any more dangerous than any other thrill activity. It's all about the attitude and precautions of the participant.

The 4th of July is coming up. Thousands of people will light off fireworks. Some will be safe and be fine. Some will be safe and still have a problem. Many will be reckless and get away with it, and a few will be reckless and we'll read about their hospital trip in the news the next day.

I feel like the biggest problem non-rider worriers have is they have all the negative pictures, stories, and wrecks in their head and none of the benefits of responsible riding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

"deathtrap" argument

MURDERCYCLES! :bahgawd:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Darwin speedsters would be a good name. They hurry up elimination of morons and procreation of cool guys.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

KozmoNaut posted:

MURDERCYCLES! :bahgawd:

A girl I knew in my acting class this year knew that I rode and asked me about getting into bikes one day. She had always thought they looked like fun and wanted to save some money on gas on top of it. She was down to earth about it but of course she had some cousin who got a crotch rocket and a brain bucket only to leave some red stains on the highway. I explained why being a jackass and wrecking a bike doesn't mean motorcycles are deathtraps. But I also told her that motorcycles are inherently dangerous, and about risk reduction, gear, msf, starter bikes, etc. She was totally on the level and ate it up. I'm not in that class anymore but I really hope I made a difference and that she'll be riding responsibly someday. I guess it's sort of awesome motorcycle poo poo but yeah getting one person on the planet to come around from MURDERCYCLE and see it from a different perspective.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Synonamess Botch posted:

A girl I knew in my acting class this year knew that I rode and asked me about getting into bikes one day. She had always thought they looked like fun and wanted to save some money on gas on top of it. She was down to earth about it but of course she had some cousin who got a crotch rocket and a brain bucket only to leave some red stains on the highway. I explained why being a jackass and wrecking a bike doesn't mean motorcycles are deathtraps. But I also told her that motorcycles are inherently dangerous, and about risk reduction, gear, msf, starter bikes, etc. She was totally on the level and ate it up. I'm not in that class anymore but I really hope I made a difference and that she'll be riding responsibly someday. I guess it's sort of awesome motorcycle poo poo but yeah getting one person on the planet to come around from MURDERCYCLE and see it from a different perspective.

On the opposite side, I know a girl who flipped out when I went to do donuts in a parking lot (in a car) and told me how a friend of hers died doing that and was all shaken up. Then when I got the Ninja she was going on about how she wanted to go for a ride on it but was pissed cause she needed a helmet.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Boat posted:

Please tell me your "position of authority" allows you to lay the smack down on all of this insanity and drill some reasonable thoughts into their heads.

Most of them have the light bulb moment during the class. Others keep believing but do get at least a little bit of knowledge penetration.

It's a bit rough being an MSF instructor over the last two years in Wisconsin. The state did an audit on the number of individuals that have a registered and plated motorcycle (over 90K people) and the number of license holders with a motorcycle endorsement (less than 30K). The state then sent out a nasty-gram telling everyone without an endorsement that they needed to get one within 12 months or face a revocation of all driving privileges. So we have a bunch of folks that sign up for our classes that see us as state authority figures (we're approved by the state to teach but are employees of the local schools not the state). 99.5% (anecdotal evidence) of these folks are Harley riders and have never taken a class. They get on our little 250cc bikes and can sometimes barely wobble around the parking lot doing the exercises. Most of the time I'm standing there watching with a neutral expression thinking, "This guy has a bagger or 1200 something or other sitting at home and has been riding for 20 years, how the heck did he survive?"

Other things I've heard:

I can go anywhere on my bagger/huge cruiser that one of those crappy adventure bikes can go.

There's still tread on the edges of the tire and that all you need.

Chains only last 10k to 12k miles and need to be replaced every year.

Chains and sprockets are not wear items and should never have to be replaced.

If you're going to run into a deer, speed up, you'll just cut it in two.

(the lay it down stories are always a gem)
I had a car turn left across the road in front of me and I had to lay it down. My bike hit the car and I ended up in the ditch. No I've never been in a crash.

I came over a crest and there were cows in the road about 100 feet away. I knew there was no way I could get stopped in time as I was doing 55mph. I laid the bike down and the bike slid off into the guard rail and I slid into a cow. I've never been in a crash.

I came around a bend and there was a car in the road. I laid the bike down and the bike slid into the car and I slid into my bike. I've never been in a crash.

**I have no idea where the thought process comes from that laying the bike down is not a crash.**

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I can vouch for the above. I recently did Canada's MSF equivalent and was in a class with a middle-aged lady who had her license for (presumably) many years prior. She was doing the course with her husband who was also licensed. I don't know her riding currency level, but...

We started off with power-off stuff, pushing the bikes around the parking lot by hand and balancing them in a straight line. Then we moved up to making small, tight turns within a box of pylons. Next, we actually turned the engines on and did some clutch friction point stuff; creeping up and down the lot to get comfy. We didn't go any faster than a walk.

This lady dropped the provided 125cc about 6-7 times. A couple of times she dropped it on top of herself and was pinned, needing the instructors to rush over and bail her out.

That night was only a three hour class. The next day was a Saturday and we were to spend 8-5 on the bikes. She got there at 8, and two exercises in she had dropped the bike another couple of times. I don't know if the instructors shut her down (which I can't see) or if she quit on her own, but she went the gently caress home - back to her 1200cc or whatever the Christ she was driving out in the real world. Her husband left too. I want to imagine that she got her license a half century ago and hasn't ridden since and was there for a refresher, but... :eng99:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skreemer posted:

If you're going to run into a deer, speed up, you'll just cut it in two.
The funny thing is that I had a professor who actually did this.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, you will cut it in half, but if you're like my dad you'll also total your bike and shatter your tibia. It's no "hot knife through butter" scenario like these retards imagine.

(he didn't speed up to try it, he just didn't have time to react/outrode his headlights and surroundings)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Skreemer posted:

I can go anywhere on my bagger/huge cruiser that one of those crappy adventure bikes can go.

Given the places most ADV guys "adventure" and the fact that lots of the bagger/cruiser guys come from offroad riding redneckedness, I wouldn't doubt this in many cases.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I haven't heard any gems lately except some about suspension setup from a friend who's into track days and in WSMC I think. He's got his '09 GSXR jacked up about 30mm in the rear and dropped 10mm in the front and swears it makes him go faster. Another friend who rode his bike said it's the scariest thing he's been on and it's no wonder he crashes so much.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
In which "Lay 'er down" is discussed rationally between a BMW rider and Pat Hahn, author of Maximum Control and veteran MSF instructor:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycle-Safety-Driveability-790/2010/2/Emergency-Braking-lay-er.htm

It will be debated until the next-to-last motorcyclist on earth keels over, and even then the last one standing will have two voices in his head arguing pro and con.

I have no idea how you would possibly execute this move on command, unless you were packing a go-go-gadget gravel shooter to facilitate the slide. Personally, I think it's just plain screwing the pooch, with a convenient and generally accepted face-saving cliche to make it appear intentional.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, you don't lay down a bike very easily. Unless you count the best way, which is to grab a panicked handful of front brake. It's the lay-er-down-lever after all.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Marv Hushman posted:

In which "Lay 'er down" is discussed rationally between a BMW rider and Pat Hahn, author of Maximum Control and veteran MSF instructor:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycle-Safety-Driveability-790/2010/2/Emergency-Braking-lay-er.htm

It will be debated until the next-to-last motorcyclist on earth keels over, and even then the last one standing will have two voices in his head arguing pro and con.

I have no idea how you would possibly execute this move on command, unless you were packing a go-go-gadget gravel shooter to facilitate the slide. Personally, I think it's just plain screwing the pooch, with a convenient and generally accepted face-saving cliche to make it appear intentional.

I find it interesting he brought up sportbike riders jumping off the bike as an analogue. I wasn't on a sportbike at the time, but a vintage Honda, when I had a blowout on the highway about a year ago. It had never happened to me before and I didn't know what was happening so I admit I panicked a little, but I still braked on my good wheel and kept it as straight as I could while scrubbing off as much speed as I could (thank you MSF). When I pulled off the road I headed down an embankment and instinctively without a conscious thought I hopped off the bike. In retrospect, once I hit the grass going downhill I knew that I was past the point of no return, and I wanted to be as far away from that metal as I could when it inevitably hit the other side of the embankment (picture the ground as a V shape). I hit the ground, rolled a few times, dusted myself off and was no worse for the wear. I think if I had been on the bike when it hit the ground it would not have been so easy. Looking back on it, I think I could have controlled the bike well enough to keep it on the road completely, so as to never put myself in that situation, but you live and learn, and I lived. So I guess that's my "lay 'er down" story - what do you think? I think crashing to avoid a crash is very stupid, but if you have braked or swerved or done whatever you needed to the best you could, is it still stupid to ditch a bike in an imminent or (I hesitate to use the word, but) "unavoidable" accident?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ola posted:

Yeah, you don't lay down a bike very easily. Unless you count the best way, which is to grab a panicked handful of front brake. It's the lay-er-down-lever after all.

No no no, as a Harley rider I can tell you the secret to layin' her down is to lock the rear and provide a little bit of off axis weight. This also happens to be the secret of doing 180 degree zero point turns on my KTM.

(Harley riders do not use the front brake for the quoted reason)

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 20, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Some kid at my work saw my full face Shoei helmet and proceeded to inform me on why my heavy helmet will break my neck in a crash, whereas his really light novelty skull cap won't. He got really pissy and stormed off when my only response to his little diatribe was, "shut up, retard".

Oh, undergrads. You're all so dumb. :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Synonamess Botch posted:

I find it interesting he brought up sportbike riders jumping off the bike as an analogue...is it still stupid to ditch a bike in an imminent or (I hesitate to use the word, but) "unavoidable" accident?

If you lived to tell about it, you made the right move. Jumping I can at least grasp, even if I was unaware of it as a common egress method in the sport bike world--assuming Hahn is correct. If he is, I think it's only fair that the practice get an equally snide catch phrase :)

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Students say the dangdest things:

"Are we going to practice crashing?"

:ughh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

I find it interesting he brought up sportbike riders jumping off the bike as an analogue. I wasn't on a sportbike at the time, but a vintage Honda, when I had a blowout on the highway about a year ago. It had never happened to me before and I didn't know what was happening so I admit I panicked a little, but I still braked on my good wheel and kept it as straight as I could while scrubbing off as much speed as I could (thank you MSF). When I pulled off the road I headed down an embankment and instinctively without a conscious thought I hopped off the bike. In retrospect, once I hit the grass going downhill I knew that I was past the point of no return, and I wanted to be as far away from that metal as I could when it inevitably hit the other side of the embankment (picture the ground as a V shape). I hit the ground, rolled a few times, dusted myself off and was no worse for the wear. I think if I had been on the bike when it hit the ground it would not have been so easy. Looking back on it, I think I could have controlled the bike well enough to keep it on the road completely, so as to never put myself in that situation, but you live and learn, and I lived. So I guess that's my "lay 'er down" story - what do you think? I think crashing to avoid a crash is very stupid, but if you have braked or swerved or done whatever you needed to the best you could, is it still stupid to ditch a bike in an imminent or (I hesitate to use the word, but) "unavoidable" accident?

There are 2 places where I would ditch a bike:

One is a racetrack situation. There are certain corners on certain tracks where there are walls in the runoff area and if you end up running off at speed, chances are high you'll hit the wall. In that case, I would attempt to slow as much as possible before locking the rear brake, countersteering to the stop, and laying the bike down. I would also push off the bike as it goes down to avoid getting tangled in it if it decides to start flipping.

The other is on a highway overpass. When you're 60+ feet off the ground, going into a wall at 20mph is preferable to going over the wall at 15mph. Every other situation, I would attempt to brake to a stop. I'd rather go over the hood of a car than into the side of it. And I'd be concerned that the loss in braking time would be significant as well.

This thread basically lists the reasons why I avoid group rides. :sigh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can't win against stupid/reckless. Local forum again.

The first quote is referring to another local forum.

PRESIDENT;314592 posted:

I hate some of the prude rear end mother fuckers. They are all so "grown" that they cant have fun anymore.

nsaP;314653 posted:

I've been reading both forums a bit and what you say has some truth to it.

That said, how many OR(ohioriders) have died on the first turn at 915? How many times do you see someone from this area on OR posing a "rider down" thread. Perhaps they just enjoy a spirited ride that gets everyone home with the rubber on the ground?

I thought that was fairly tame compared to how snippy I could be.

CinciBusa;314687 posted:

dude get off your loving pedestal. i think most of us here can appreciate the devil's advocate perspective, but every single post of yours that i've seen on this site is essentially a "...well maybe you guys are wrong" post. if you disagree with so many points of view here then why do you return? it takes so very little to be a part of this community, but you seem bound and determined to be the pariah. we've all got moms - we don't need another one.

(My other critical posts was of a worthless sprint thru heavy traffic just to post a youtube video for his buddies, and telling them not to lie about who was riding in the infamous red truck video from a few weeks ago)

PRESIDENT;314689 posted:

Well yes we have crashers. We have people exploring the limits of themselfs and their bikes. Learning SUX and can cause pain or in worst case death. We ride. Riding is what we do. Crashing is a big part of riding and planking shows we love life and have fun with it. I am not a I am better than you type person and dont judge people on how they act. Junkies are fun,happy and LOVING people. Let the haters hate and the rest of us will live free and happy while we are her on the blue planet.

nsaP;314697 posted:

Where did I tell you all what to do? Prez called them prudes and I simply pointed out some facts and suggested maybe they have a different attitude towards riding.

Honestly I do think a lot of people here ride like morons but I don't think i've called them out on it, except for that stupid 275 run. I'll stand by that being stupid. If you think it's cool to zip past trucks 30mph faster in the shoulder lane and they post it on youtube for your friends, that's stupid. A difference in opinion in that way should be cause for discussion, not you telling me to "get out".

Everything else, my motivations are having as many people riding and riding safely as possible. I find it hypocritical when people post videos of them acting a fool around cars, then get all indigent when a car acts like an rear end around them.

I might not be like most of you but I enjoy riding and I enjoy the area. If you want a forum echo chamber where everyone just calls your cool and tells you that you're right all of the time, fine. I'll just make the shift to OR(ohioriders) or LR(localriders) like all the other "prudes".

Eh, whatever, bring the red bars back. I guess this forum is only open to noobies as long as they do what /you/ say. That is, provided they make it thru their first ride with you without death or paralysis.

PRESIDENT;314699 posted:

So u go to the track allot? Thats the only "safe" place.

nsaP;314708 posted:

If that's how you view street riding then I don't think we'll ever agree. Safety is all relative, and the individual can do as much as possible to stack the deck in his/her favor when going riding.

ash;314707 posted:

I initially hit reply to disabuse you of your ideas, but maybe it will be more educative to figure out on your own.
So I'll leave you with this much: you're wrong, on many levels
And you currently lack the ability to recognize it

nsaP;314709 posted:

So I'm wrong, I can't realize that I'm wrong, and you won't show me where I'm wrong? How do you expect me to come around?

God I'm about to just abandon this forum. Don't think I'll see eye to eye with most of them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:laffo: Link me to the forum, I could have some fun there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I should note that at the time I ditched my bike I had exactly two options: crash with the bike, or crash away from the bike. Obviously the best choice would have been to not be put in that situation in the first place. I don't know what would have happened if I had stayed on the bike, but I can tell you the bike immediately hit the other side of the ditch without me and took at least a couple tumbles. I would not want to have been on it or in its path.

Z3n posted:

This thread basically lists the reasons why I avoid group rides. :sigh:

I hope that wasn't inspired by what I wrote. For the record I am not and would not advocate "crashing to avoid a crash," but rather am considering the benefits of being on vs off a 400lb hunk of metal in an "unavoidable" crash - and yes I know an "unavoidable" crash is a HUGE :can: because I also believe nearly all crashes are avoidable with the right preparation. Absolutely my biggest problem in that situation was I was mentally unprepared for how frightening it is to have a blowout at 80+mph and be suddenly fishtailing from full-lock to full-lock down the freeway. Sorry if it's a dumb derail but I thought it was relevant to the discussion. :)

• Locked thread