Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The good 'ol AssfaultJunkies http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Seriously tho, the death or paralysis snip was for real. They had a guy wreck and paralyze himself on his first ride with them a few months ago. I think maybe 2 have died this season so far.

Edit: I don't even know what the gently caress is going on now, someone is comparing riding to roofing accidents. Here's the start anyway.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?7870-What-have-you-learned-today&p=314653&viewfull=1#post314653

It continues: FWIW I can see where he's coming from at some points. Also I misunderstood a person's post which started this whole thing, but whatever I needed to say it.

CinciBusa;314720 posted:

i think (as ash pointed out) that you're missing the point. riding a motorcycle - or hell any motor vehicle - is inherently dangerous. there is no sense in arguing how much or how little. on top of that there are a lot of great people here (and everywhere else) that do completely douche bag things (myself included). The point is that most of us have the cognitive capacity to learn from those mistakes. Even the ones that don't aren't going to pick it up from your consructive critisism. Then you add in the fact that the only thing you participate in is nay saying. you're advice would be more likely to fall on receptive ears if you bothered to contriubute anything to a converation other than your disapproval. perhaps start your own thread rather than making GBS threads on everybody elses. i'm not trying to run you off or even piss you off - just asking that you recognize that we're all grown rear end adults here and we don't need people reminding us of that when we don't act like it.

nsaP;314727 posted:

I agree that they are inherently dangerous, but there is a point in arguing how much or how little! You don't go riding in a t shirt do you? It's all about minimizing the risks of bad things happening and then rolling the dice afterwards.

I think you should check my post history as well, I've contributed a bit more than that.

CinciBusa;314735 posted:

there is no point. poo poo happens, and i think there are some very recent and unfortunate examples of this. i do wear gear all the time - does that mean i'm coming home? in a word no. there are far more variables involved with riding a bike (and infintely more so on the street) that anyone can comprehend much less control, and to think otherwise is either arrogance or ignorance. from those that know me and have ridden with me they can attest that i am the biggest gramma on a bike around. our (your and i's) riding mentality seems very similar. i however do not use this forum to argue about it with people i have no knowledge of. and at 39 posts i'm not even going to begin to justify the breadth of your contribution. i know where i've seen your posts and it typically looks a lot like the last couple of pages. i'm sure that myself and everyone here wants you to ride, ride safe, and ride with us if you choose .the difference between hooking up with a couple of peeps on the weekend and being logged into here is that this is a community and it's hard to relate to you when you post the way you do. /rant

Can't argue with him about safety then if there is not point, but point taken on the last bit.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

You can't win against stupid/reckless. Local forum again.
God I'm about to just abandon this forum. Don't think I'll see eye to eye with most of them.

They just want to be free!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnGzl-OEyGE

Most motorcycle forums operate like so:

1) Existing members shower new user with high fives and "nice bike."
2) New user displays a capacity for critical thinking and intelligent debate.
3) New user quickly locks horns with the geezer who began the thing when it was running as a Wildcat BBS in the basement of an atomic ranch home in Glendale AZ.
4) SYCOPHANT DOGPILE!

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 20, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Z3n posted:

The other is on a highway overpass. When you're 60+ feet off the ground, going into a wall at 20mph is preferable to going over the wall at 15mph.

Oh god please don't even talk about this, I have mini panic attacks every time I'm on one and look down (there are HUGE ones in Texas at least, like 10+ story building tall). Knowing I'm a single oil slick away from wrecking and flying over the side kills me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

hayden. posted:

Oh god please don't even talk about this, I have mini panic attacks every time I'm on one and look down (there are HUGE ones in Texas at least, like 10+ story building tall). Knowing I'm a single oil slick away from wrecking and flying over the side kills me.

Have you seen the video of the guy on a bike who wrecks on an overpass, falls over the side, and lands on an SUV?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Have you seen the video of the guy on a bike who wrecks on an overpass, falls over the side, and lands on an SUV?

You're being a dick right now.

Man... those pictures of where he landed... *shudder*

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

hayden. posted:

Dallas overpasses + Christmas '09 ice storm + Texans who've never seen ice, let alone driven on it or had to remove it = FEAR OF GOD.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

The good 'ol AssfaultJunkies http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Seriously tho, the death or paralysis snip was for real. They had a guy wreck and paralyze himself on his first ride with them a few months ago. I think maybe 2 have died this season so far.

Edit: I don't even know what the gently caress is going on now, someone is comparing riding to roofing accidents. Here's the start anyway.

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?7870-What-have-you-learned-today&p=314653&viewfull=1#post314653

It continues: FWIW I can see where he's coming from at some points. Also I misunderstood a person's post which started this whole thing, but whatever I needed to say it.

Can't argue with him about safety then if there is not point, but point taken on the last bit.

Eh, there's actually no saving some people. When people believe that "thems just's the risks", they're willingly choosing to give up any control they have over riding safely. If you don't admit you have control over the situations you put yourself in, then how can you believe that you can change them?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Z3n posted:

Eh, there's actually no saving some people. When people believe that "thems just's the risks", they're willingly choosing to give up any control they have over riding safely. If you don't admit you have control over the situations you put yourself in, then how can you believe that you can change them?

Depends on how you look at it. My outlook on riding is that while I might be able to avoid most stuff, if some car flies out of nowhere I might meet an untimely doom. That is one thing I have just come to accept about riding.

Now that isn't to say that I don't drive like a paranoid bastard with neon yellow safety gear and always touching up on my panic stops at stop lights when it's safe to do so. I still think I can control 99% of my riding experience, but there is always that chance something could come up outside the realm of my control one day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, I think the difference in the "grey area" of safe riding is you (and I) look at it as "poo poo happens, but I'm going to put myself in the best position I can". With my squabble with the AFJ guy, we were talking about a vid I posted in the videos thread, where the attitude is more "poo poo happens, if it does happen it's my time, might as well pass this truck at 30 over on the right side."

I met a dude at the Red River Gorge like that too. He climbs some crazy cliff faces they have there freehand, and had talked about his 2 small kids and wife and a near miss story of how he slipped without ropes and just luckily caught something in the same sentence.

Then he went off to climb down the cliff we were on free hand.

It's just a different attitude. Maybe if I was certain of an afterlife I'd be more reckless with this one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I think it's less attitude and more just simple disbelief that 'you yourself can die tomorrow". People never want to think about it so much that it just becomes an impossibility to them. Even if someone they know dies or they have a close call or something, it's still as if they're watching it on TV or something, it's happening "out there".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Depends on how you look at it. My outlook on riding is that while I might be able to avoid most stuff, if some car flies out of nowhere I might meet an untimely doom. That is one thing I have just come to accept about riding.

Now that isn't to say that I don't drive like a paranoid bastard with neon yellow safety gear and always touching up on my panic stops at stop lights when it's safe to do so. I still think I can control 99% of my riding experience, but there is always that chance something could come up outside the realm of my control one day.

That's a side effect of being alive though. There's plenty of random acts of god that could strike that could end in your death, but I think we can all agree that most motorcycle accidents are the result of riding like a dong or not riding defensively enough. If you lump all motorcycle accidents into "acts of god", you ignore that the majority of them are preventable with better training, better awareness, and riding within your limits. That is the attitude that leads to guys dying on group rides.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

I should note that at the time I ditched my bike I had exactly two options: crash with the bike, or crash away from the bike. Obviously the best choice would have been to not be put in that situation in the first place. I don't know what would have happened if I had stayed on the bike, but I can tell you the bike immediately hit the other side of the ditch without me and took at least a couple tumbles. I would not want to have been on it or in its path.

I hope that wasn't inspired by what I wrote. For the record I am not and would not advocate "crashing to avoid a crash," but rather am considering the benefits of being on vs off a 400lb hunk of metal in an "unavoidable" crash - and yes I know an "unavoidable" crash is a HUGE :can: because I also believe nearly all crashes are avoidable with the right preparation. Absolutely my biggest problem in that situation was I was mentally unprepared for how frightening it is to have a blowout at 80+mph and be suddenly fishtailing from full-lock to full-lock down the freeway. Sorry if it's a dumb derail but I thought it was relevant to the discussion. :)

Just wanted to clarify here that your post has nothing to do with my commentary :)

The problem I have with group rides is when you have people with the "Ride fast, take chances" mentality plus the general "gotta keep up!" riding mentality. It means people get out of their comfort zone, and that inevitably leads to crashing.

The fact that the guys say that "crashing is a big part of riding motorcycles" is just indicative of the attitude they take towards it. Rather than treating an accident as a learning experience, they just accept it as part and parcel of riding motorcycles. People die riding bikes, they're dangerous! But the truth is...that doesn't have to be the case. Backing it down 5mph on the street can be the difference between a close call and an ambulance trip...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Even worse, when I hardly broached safety the response was "so you only ride the track a lot" and then 1 post earlier was the same guy talking about "people testing their limits on the street" so I don't know what the gently caress. I think he just had more of a laissez-faire towards other people while trying to poke a hole in what I was saying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I thought that was all that people did on the internet. :v: All the arguments end up semantics, snarky bullshit, or picking at spelling/grammAR.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The problem I have with group rides is when you have people with the "Ride fast, take chances" mentality plus the general "gotta keep up!" riding mentality. It means people get out of their comfort zone, and that inevitably leads to crashing.

I wish everyone followed my group's rules. No one worries about being left behind because they know for a certainty that the group is going to wait for them at the next turn. If you get to an intersection and no one is there, go straight. It's impossible to get lost and it has really cut down on the "gotta keep up" crashes from the new guys.

Overheard stupid poo poo from the track this weekend:

:v:: At first I thought this busa was fast because I've never ridden anything else, but now it needs at least a turbo to match my skills.
:): How long have you been riding?
:v:: A couple months now. I've put almost a thousand miles on it so I'm pretty skilled. The only reason I don't go pro is because these people *motions towards AMA tent* are racist.

My eyes rolled out of my head and now I am blind.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
You were down at Barber, right? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the busa has a stretched swingarm?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

You were down at Barber, right? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the busa has a stretched swingarm?

Of course. That dude came up while a friend and I were looking at his track bike that he road to the race. The busa moron was making fun of my friend's "chicken strips".

I'm not so sure he knows what "chicken strips" are...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I wish everyone followed my group's rules. No one worries about being left behind because they know for a certainty that the group is going to wait for them at the next turn. If you get to an intersection and no one is there, go straight. It's impossible to get lost and it has really cut down on the "gotta keep up" crashes from the new guys.

Overheard stupid poo poo from the track this weekend:

:v:: At first I thought this busa was fast because I've never ridden anything else, but now it needs at least a turbo to match my skills.
:): How long have you been riding?
:v:: A couple months now. I've put almost a thousand miles on it so I'm pretty skilled. The only reason I don't go pro is because these people *motions towards AMA tent* are racist.

My eyes rolled out of my head and now I am blind.

"Hating stupidity isn't racist, it's just good sense". :v:

Only recommended if you can take them.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the busa has a stretched swingarm?

Obviously. He's so pro its literally IMPOSSIBLE to keep the front end down without an extended swingarm.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Regarding my KTM: "Putting road wheels on a dirt bike is dangerous"

Dangerous for my license perhaps...

Edit:
Regarding the "Layin' 'er down" issue; My friend was recalling a tale from the 80's when he was working at a business on a long straight road notorious for people wringing their engines out. He's outside doing something or other and hears an MC coming up the road. Some kind of 80's RG/RD500 YPVS KRIS RR hoolistroke being held in the powerband through 5 gears. As he looks up he sees a skip lorry* pull out onto the road. The pilot of said metal missile realises the game is up and just hops off the bike. My friend doesn't know what kind of bike it was to this day, he only saw smallish bits of it being pulled out of the side of the lorry.

Basically, the only time when layin' 'er down is an option is when you've ridden yourself out of options.

*dumpster truck, septics.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 21, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Not a story, but something I witnessed. I am in Rhode Island all the time, and RI doesn't have a helmet law. I see lots of squids riding around with no gear besides sunglasses. It's not uncommon at all to see an liter sportbike piloted by a Bro wearing a football jersey, shorts, and sandals.

My favorite, though, has to be a sportbiker I've seen a few times who DOES wear safety gear. Not a helmet, though. That would snap your neck. Not gloves, not boots, not a jacket, not pants. He makes sure he puts on his spinal protector, though. Nothing else. Just a spinal protector. Blows my mind every time I see it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pagan posted:

Not a story, but something I witnessed. I am in Rhode Island all the time, and RI doesn't have a helmet law. I see lots of squids riding around with no gear besides sunglasses. It's not uncommon at all to see an liter sportbike piloted by a Bro wearing a football jersey, shorts, and sandals.

My favorite, though, has to be a sportbiker I've seen a few times who DOES wear safety gear. Not a helmet, though. That would snap your neck. Not gloves, not boots, not a jacket, not pants. He makes sure he puts on his spinal protector, though. Nothing else. Just a spinal protector. Blows my mind every time I see it.

Here in SoCal, for every person you see riding ATGATT, there are probably 35 people that insist Icon Field Armor will save their lives.

Sure it might help if you're going to be impaled by a telephone pole, but that's about all it's good for.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 22, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

Here in SoCal, for every person you see riding ATGATT, there are probably 35 people that insist Icon Field Armor will save their lives.

Sure it might help if you're going to be impaled by a telephone pole, but that's about all it's good for.

What POSSIBLE crash could occur, where you don't need a helmet, you don't need a jacket, gloves, pants, or boots... But you will DIE without chest / spine protection? I simply can't imagine what these guys are worried about, that that is the one piece of gear they consider essential.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It's because they think when they crash they're just gonna slide on the armor, brah. Just keep your head off the ground and put your weight on your boots and back protector!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure I saw a guy in Florida in full leathers. And no helmet. :psyduck:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty sure I saw a guy in Florida in full leathers. And no helmet. :psyduck:

I've seen this strange combination once as well. He had the helmet on the helmet lock, of course.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yesterday I saw a guy on a DRZ with motocross gear on, except no helmet. And before that, a guy with a brain bucket wearing a balaclava to keep the wind off his face.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pagan posted:

What POSSIBLE crash could occur, where you don't need a helmet, you don't need a jacket, gloves, pants, or boots... But you will DIE without chest / spine protection? I simply can't imagine what these guys are worried about, that that is the one piece of gear they consider essential.
Guy I went to MMI with recently got paralyzed in a crash that sounded exactly like that, actually. No other injuries, I don't think his helmet had anything more than scratches. No other gear on. Gotta be a one in a million chance.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

2) New user displays a capacity for critical thinking and intelligent debate.
3) New user quickly locks horns with the geezer who began the thing
4) SYCOPHANT DOGPILE!

Shouldn't step 4 be "mass bannings" and "closing subforum"? :tinfoil:

I KID I KID!

e: sorry that should read "unintelligent debate"

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pagan posted:

I'm in California, so add a helmet to that and they're set.

hayden. posted:

It's because they think when they crash they're just gonna slide on the armor, brah. Just keep your head off the ground and put your weight on your bootsJordans and back protector!

Fixed that for you

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Never wear a helmet. In a low speed crash it'll cause whip-lash and break your neck making you paralyzed.

This is an argument used by a lot of those anti-helmet groups/sites and it's the most :psyduck: one in their arsenal imo

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

This is an argument used by a lot of those anti-helmet groups/sites and it's the most :psyduck: one in their arsenal imo

I suppose it's the natural extension of the "seat belt will break your back" myth, really.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of my friend arguing that he didn't wear a seatbelt so that if the windows shattered, he could jump out of the way of the falling glass.

In his defense, we were 15 at the time, but then again he still lives in rural Michigan and probably still believes it.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Had a dinner with one of the managers of the bicycle store where I work. He's an older BMW guy and his friends were also older BMW guys.

One very important thing I've learned is that when you get a little pearl of wisdom from one group of "experienced riders" it is important to keep that bit of advice to yourself if you are hanging out with another group of "experienced riders."

Case in point, I just finished my trip my cross country trip from North California to Pennsylvania.

One of the older guys happened to notice that I was using Mich. Power-One DOT race tires. He couldn't fathom why I would choose such a tire... Well I got them as take-offs and the guys tho sold/installed them were all from a race team. They told me that even though they are race tires, they'll hold up just fine and if I want to make the most of them, I can add a little extra pressure when I'm riding on the freeway, then run lower pressure out when I'm going to hit the twists so they'll get hot and tack up faster.

I explained that to the old guys, and boy did I get a lecture.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In fairness, back in the day, or even 8-10 years ago, they'd be right. Modern tires are amazing though and work drat well, even out of their element. Plus, yaknow, budget constraints. ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Boat posted:

I suppose it's the natural extension of the "seat belt will break your back" myth, really.

A modern version of that is the "air bomb", people refusing to have a dangerous explosive pillow in their steering wheels.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
A Katana is not a super sport you stupid squid gently caress.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
nm

aventari fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 25, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Radio-Controlled posted:

A Katana is not a super sport you stupid squid gently caress.

All motorcycles are crotch rockets or harleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All motorcycles are crotch rockets or harleys.

Ah-HA, trap sprung!

The only REAL motorcycles are Harleys :fsmug:

• Locked thread