Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Welcome, to the WORLD OF TOMORROW!!!

Futurama, quite possibly the most intelligently written cartoon of all time, and Matt Groening's love child of the late 30th and now into the 31st century was, as executive producer David X. Cohen put it, RUDELY CANCELLED in 2003 by Fox.

I hope I don't have to list the characters and voices to all of you who should know by now the brilliance of this cast and superb list of writers that work on this show.

But Good News everyone! The fools who fired our favourite space delivery crew were themselves fired for incompetence.

And not just fired, but beaten up too, and pretty badly...in fact, most of them died from their injuries.

:geno:

In any case, even though some may disagree with me, and believe that the show had lived its life, it is widely accepted as a very positive thing that Futurama has returned to us for a sixth season after releasing 4 feature length straight to DVD movies (at least three of them quite controversial) the show is no longer with Fox, but has become a program on the Comedy Central channel "How humorous!" :zoid:

Whether you like the new ones or hate them, the widely stated opinion is that new Futurama is better than no Futurama. And there continues to be new Futurama for a sixth season, whose first thirteen episodes aired starting June 24th 2010. Mixed opinions on these forums followed, with general appeal and exuberant quoting. Those episodes are now available on DVD, I have yet to buy this, but cannot wait to listen to those commentaries.

I would ask that any special feature content from the DVDs of season 6 be placed in spoilers for those who just haven't had the time or money to purchase and watch them yet.

The premiere of the second half of the sixth season will be a double feature! And is scheduled to air on Comedy Central on June 23rd 2011! There is some information online as to the plots of these episodes, and even a 40 second clip of the first new episode, which you may view at your risk. Please be discreet and discrete when discussing spoilers.
40 seconds of the premiere!
http://io9.com/5812331/exclusive-clip-from-futuramas-season-opener

One of the greatest things about this show in the opinion of THIS gross, ugly, smelly loser is that it maintains canon unlike nearly any other animated sitcom. It's not quite Dragon Ball, but it is definitely no Simpsons. Stuff that happens generally stays happened, while everything we care about tends to remain right where it is.

So let's review shall we.

The movies ended on a cliffhanger considering the production crew did not know whether the show would return. The DVD sales being as high as they were meant yes they would, so they quickly turned the cliff hanger into a restart button, bringing the crew from the brink of extinction back to their home and using stemcells (which as we all know were controversial in your day, but nowadays...SHUT UP!) brought all our favourite characters back to life in good health, including Zapp Brannigan.

WHEEEEEEEEEE! :smug:

We have Fry and Leela dating and in love, but nothing indicates the idea of a lifelong relationship. Whatever the case, we can only assume that Fry is happier than he has ever been now that Leela is willing to, almost casually, join the mile deep club

Fry's reaction to learning that Leela is willing to join the mile deep club cause...why not?

We learned some other INTERESTING STUFF as well such as:

Bender was NOT built by Hermes, who is actually inspector 5 :aaaaa:. People used to think I was dumb...but I proved them! :fry:

The professor's old girlfriend wasn't named Eunice...her name was UNIT! He was a robosexual!

Duh Vinci is the dumbest person on his planet and Fry doesn't know what language he's speaking.

Amy saved Earth from cats (which are all aliens) by changing the direction of the planet's rotation causing the sun to set in the east. And she was at last begrudgingly presented with her PHD in applied physics.

Nibbler forgot to make the crew taste purple so now he just talks when he pleases.

The theory of evolution is still up for debate in the year 3010 to the point where Farnsworth doesn't want to live on this planet anymore.

No matter how permuted up your minds are, they can be restored using at most 2 extra players!

Lrrr and Ndnd are still having trouble with their relationship but Orson Welles and cheap teleportation rays disguised as disintegration rays do more for their marriage than a freshly cut human horn.

And here's something you may or may not find interesting. We discovered that some rich person named Mister was nice to a mutant a long time ago so mutants are now allowed to live on the surface.

This means that we may or may not be seeing more of Leela's parents and newly met Grandmother who was kept secret because she's nuts.

Oh and yeah how could I forget... Scruffy turned a regular board into a diving board.

Mhmmmm

So there you have it. After years of sadness and depression, a wonderful revival movie and 3 mediocre followup movies (depending on how you look at it) and 13 stand up episodes (again depending on how you look at it, this poster happens to LOVE the new episodes with all the heartfeltness of watching War is the H Word or the Why of Fry) we have the rest of the sixth season to sate our hunger for a dopey delivery boy who froze himself while warming our hearts to find himself in the year 3000, a million years!

Let us bask in the glory of Futurama once again for the remainder of season 6, and hope with all our might that they may return to us again for a 7th season next year.

edit: I added some junk and stuff or whatever!

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dheni Walsh posted:

Bender was built by Hermes :aaaaa:
Hermes didn't build Bender, he was just Bender's inspector. You've been as dumb as Fry!

quote:

No matter how permuted up your minds are, they can be restored using at most 2 extra players!
Futurama: The first show to create and prove a completely new mathematical theorem.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
Excellently written; I have two things to add:

Dheni Walsh posted:

One of the greatest things about this show is that it maintains cannon unlike nearly any other animated sitcom. It's not quite Dragon Ball, but it is definitely no Simpsons. Stuff that happens generally stays happened, while everything we care about tends to remain right where it is.

Some great examples of the continuity of the series include the earth now spinning the opposite directions, so that the sun sets in the east, and ships no longer being fueled by dark matter/poop, but good old reliable whale oil.

Dheni Walsh posted:

...including Zap Brannigan.

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

He's actually the man with no name, Zapp Smith... Brannigan.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hermes didn't build Bender, he was just Bender's inspector. You've been as dumb as Fry!

Am not.

New episodes :neckbeard: Time for some new quotes!

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

TravBot posted:

He's actually the man with no name, Zapp Smith... Brannigan.

Wasn't there a WHEEEEEEEEEE! .gif posted in the previous thread? If so, I demand it be added to the OP. :colbert:

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

sildenafil posted:

Wasn't there a WHEEEEEEEEEE! .gif posted in the previous thread? If so, I demand it be added to the OP. :colbert:

I'll be what I wanna do.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

sildenafil posted:

It was waffleimaged and cannot be reused sadly. If someone saved it and/or made one I'd be happy to add it. In the mean time I put something just as indicative under the image to express the Zapper in all his, um...glory?

Also updated to fix my booboo regarding Hermes/Bender which I ask you all forgive me for...I smoked a lot of paperwork in my day :420:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. Time to start paying attention to this thread again and explaining why everyone else is wrong but me. :colbert:

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Dheni Walsh posted:

It was waffleimaged and cannot be reused sadly. If someone saved it and/or made one I'd be happy to add it. In the mean time I put something just as indicative under the image to express the Zapper in all his, um...glory?

Also updated to fix my booboo regarding Hermes/Bender which I ask you all forgive me for...I smoked a lot of paperwork in my day :420:

That's not a cigar!

Also it's not mine.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

TravBot posted:

That's not a cigar!

Also it's not mine.

You jerked the words right out of my mouth. We're their fathers and it's high times we acted like it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Is this the thread with the blackjack and the hookers?

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

No that was the old thread. It's dead now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LooseChanj posted:

Actually, forget the thread...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dheni Walsh posted:

You jerked the words right out of my mouth. We're their fathers and it's high times we acted like it.

Did anyone save the gif of Professor and Hermes kicking in the sign, but it had the Glee gangtag on it instead?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

All glory to the hypnotoad

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

:geno: CLAP

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

TravBot posted:

No that was the old thread. It's dead now.

SOMEONE SAID "DEAD"!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Eh, this gifs been going downhill since post 3.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

LooseChanj posted:

axleblaze posted:

Actually, forget the thread...

Actually, forget the thread and the blackjack. Ah, screw the whole thing.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eh, this gifs been going downhill since post 3.
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Reposting this from the old thread because gently caress yeah Benderbrau

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Firos posted:

Awesomeness on at least 10 different levels

I hope it's an ale, so I can take it to a ball game!

And is that your pac-man machine? That's so ballin.

I especially love the picture of the countess on Bender's lid, but what does he have above it?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
YOU WATCHED IT, YOU CAN'T UNWATCH IT!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dheni Walsh posted:

I hope it's an ale, so I can take it to a ball game!

And is that your pac-man machine? That's so ballin.

I especially love the picture of the countess on Bender's lid, but what does he have above it?

from the looks of it it would be a magnet with a screen from ascii star wars(r2d2 and c3p0). So does the bender brewtank sing folk music constantly too?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sildenafil posted:

I move that the OP should have a Futuram Avatar and maybe a gang tag.

And also that my cat smells good.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

IUG posted:

...second

Really though, as far as I know gangtags are on the outs, but of course I would not object to being let into any group, especially the mongooses...yeah that's a good name, the Fighting Mongooses!

As for the avatar I'm currently between jobs and ain't got no credit card so we'll see maybe in the near future I can get one. Otherwise I'll leave it up to the Great Wall Of Prophecy to reveal God's will that I may blindly obey!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

IUG posted:

Your apartment smells like Poli-Grip and cat pee!

Dheni Walsh posted:

Otherwise I'll leave it up to the Great Wall Of Prophecy to reveal God's will that I may blindly obey!
We're dumb.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Coleman posted:

Your apartment smells like Poli-Grip and cat pee!

We're dumb.

Those are REEDS jackass

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Those are REEDS jackass

The prophecy is strange and crudely drawn at best. It indicates that, we are "here" and our next Pharaoh is over there, near some ... tents

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dheni Walsh posted:

The prophecy is strange and crudely drawn at best. It indicates that, we are "here" and our next Pharaoh is over there, near some ... tents

The OP is strange, and crudely drawn written, at best. It indicates that we are here, and new Futurama is over there, near some...South Park.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
All I know is that Bender beer can now travel through time and space. Also yes more Futurama.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The OP is strange, and crudely drawn written, at best. It indicates that we are here, and new Futurama is over there, near some...South Park.

Those are QUOTES jackass! It's supposed to be the Simpsons quoting thread!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

DrBouvenstein posted:

A person could go their whole life quoting or paraphrasing futurama and just be considered a really funny guy and would never get busted except by another nerd.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

IUG posted:

I haven't felt much of anything, since my gang tag died. :smith:

(changed avatars a couple of times.)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dheni Walsh posted:

That dog won't hunt monsieur!

(I made it and it's been on my hosting since)

In other news, I don't get Comedy Central and will miss the premiere. :smith:

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Kazy posted:

That dog won't hunt monsieur!

Monsignor! :eng101:

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Bad news, nobody. The supercollider super exploded! Also, this thing (I guess technically spoilers since it's a clip from the upcoming season finale):
http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2011/06/21/countdown-to-futurama-action-delivery-force/

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

ff7cid posted:

Bad news, nobody. The supercollider super exploded! Also, this thing (I guess technically spoilers since it's a clip from the upcoming season finale):
http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2011/06/21/countdown-to-futurama-action-delivery-force/

They used the Voltron music! :aaa:

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Kazy posted:

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dheni Walsh posted:

One of the greatest things about this show is that it maintains cannon unlike nearly any other animated sitcom.

Dheni Walsh, you smelly idiot! It's spelled canon!

• Locked thread