Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
also i'm very glad to have missed the lf and anime chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
your wrong

fifth element would not have worked without ruby rhod

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ruby rhod's funny for a bit and then they try to make him an actual main character, a terrible mistake

Main character? Every one of his lines is comic relief, he's put in there at the end so that the film stays wacky while Bruce Willis switches to action movie mode.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Main character? Every one of his lines is comic relief, he's put in there at the end so that the film stays wacky while Bruce Willis switches to action movie mode.

bruce willis is always in action movie mode

he just pretends he isn't sometimes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bruce willis is always in action movie mode

he just pretends he isn't sometimes

which was one of the best parts of his character living a normal life and constantly trying to forget being an incredible space badass

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
hnnnnggg i cannot wait for this

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

hnnnnggg i cannot wait for this

fuckin same

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
is that about turing?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ruby rhod's funny for a bit and then they try to make him an actual main character, a terrible mistake

you expect him to be a diva afraid of everything but when the shooting starts he drags himself closer to the action, pretty neat imo

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

is that about turing?

yes

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i read somewhere that the movie basically ignores turing's homosexuality, which if true puts it in an entirely new category of biographical bullshit and i hope it gets called out on it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Turing lived happily ever after with his wife and childe' :v

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

i read somewhere that the movie basically ignores turing's homosexuality, which if true puts it in an entirely new category of biographical bullshit and i hope it gets called out on it

if this is true i will be very mad

fun fact, the first programming language i ever learned was turing

it wasnt very good

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

if this is true i will be very mad

fun fact, the first programming language i ever learned was turing

it wasnt very good

same

well actually i learned visual basic 6 at the same time too

it's amazing i ever wanted to touch another programming language again after that

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Heresiarch posted:

movies about scientists always end up lying to the audience

like the movie about john nash with russell crowe where it was "john nash was an upstanding white christian who certainly never performed gay sex moves and would never knock up and later dump a woman for being working class. no sir, he and his wife were happy go lucky but he went crazy and he believed he was doing top secret work when he never did any such thing and then he was put on antipsychotic drugs and tada he and his wife lived happily ever after. drugs are really good and if you take them you'll probably win a nobel prize for inventing a new boardgame or whatever so get on some"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

drugs are really good

down w/ dis

person of interest status: computer janitorin'

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

surely that's what the title is referring to

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

qntm posted:

surely that's what the title is referring to

what we now call the turing test was called "the imitation game" in turing's paper

also i could be wrong about the film, obviously i haven't seen it, but the suggestion that they've straightwashed it makes me less than excited about it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

same

well actually i learned visual basic 6 at the same time too

it's amazing i ever wanted to touch another programming language again after that

:canada:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

down w/ dis

person of interest status: computer janitorin'

that was pretty cool

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Heresiarch posted:

in the trailer he mentions "not fancying her in that way" and is followed up by talking about "it" being illegal so it might touch on it but maybe not then go into how he was hosed over by the government after winning the war for them

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cumberbatch but less smug than sherlock?
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

i will be legit disappointed if they steamroll over his homosexuality but i cant maintain decorum here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I bet michael fassbender would make a super good hannibal lecter

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

michael, the last fassbender

also the review i saw says that it talks about him being gay, persecuted, killing himself, etc., but it never actually shows him kissing a dude or whatever

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
ichael assbender

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all caught up on poi :woop:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Matter is a really good book but I dunno if I like Exscession more

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

haveblue posted:

all caught up on poi :woop:

i just need to get this week's ep and then im all caught up too

show owns. im really glad they took it in the direction they did instead of leaving it at street crime and corrupt cops. those things can be interesting but when youve got something like the machine that is just wasted potential

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I bet michael fassbender would make a super good hannibal lecter

mads has been real fuckin great, at or exceeding hopkins

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

read Altered Carbon a while back and it was a pretty good cyberpunk thriller dealing in a lightweight way w some interesting thoughts about mind-transfer/-uploading, virtual immortality, Ship of Theseus, who is the real copy -- etc

the next two books in that trilogy arent as good. the second one has a pretty creepy sexual dynamic between the protagonist and one of the major characters that weirded me out (apparently he can brainwash people through non-consensual sex, which she is not surprisingly okay with after the fact), and the third one was decent but had a few gross sex scenes and non-sexual scenes that were written sexually (why do they always include these? gently caress sake). only worth reading if youre really bored and dont have another book on your list

do not read Market Forces by the same author. it is a terrible piece of poo poo. it starts out as a kind of satire on run-amuck free-market capitalism, but its super hamfisted and its impossible to even slightly sympathize with the narrator. hes an irredeemable rear end in a top hat, and hes given out after out to stop being a scourge on humanity, outs that he refuses to take for bullshit reasons. i finished it but i dont even remember how it ends, i guess i was just mechanically absorbing words without registering them at the end.

i guess this author started out on his zenith

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Snapchat A Titty posted:

read Altered Carbon a while back and it was a pretty good cyberpunk thriller dealing in a lightweight way w some interesting thoughts about mind-transfer/-uploading, virtual immortality, Ship of Theseus, who is the real copy -- etc

the next two books in that trilogy arent as good. the second one has a pretty creepy sexual dynamic between the protagonist and one of the major characters that weirded me out (apparently he can brainwash people through non-consensual sex, which she is not surprisingly okay with after the fact), and the third one was decent but had a few gross sex scenes and non-sexual scenes that were written sexually (why do they always include these? gently caress sake). only worth reading if youre really bored and dont have another book on your list

do not read Market Forces by the same author. it is a terrible piece of poo poo. it starts out as a kind of satire on run-amuck free-market capitalism, but its super hamfisted and its impossible to even slightly sympathize with the narrator. hes an irredeemable rear end in a top hat, and hes given out after out to stop being a scourge on humanity, outs that he refuses to take for bullshit reasons. i finished it but i dont even remember how it ends, i guess i was just mechanically absorbing words without registering them at the end.

i guess this author started out on his zenith

this is pretty much 100% my experience with this author, I think I was half way through the third book and just didn't bother to finish it. things really suffered from ~MY ENVOY TRAINING~ after the first book. The strangest part was that I listened to the third one and the narrator did all the women in a weird falsetto/sassy lady way, it wasn't too bad then... then the sex scenes... I think I know why I stopped that one.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

altered carbon is on my list of books to read, can i safely put it in the box with hyperion where i skip everything else after the first book?

Sair
May 11, 2007

altered carbon is worth a read, anyway

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heresiarch posted:

altered carbon is on my list of books to read, can i safely put it in the box with hyperion where i skip everything else after the first book?

ya, altered carbon itself was worth reading

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Ya, I'm reading the second book and was super duper disappointed about the shift in tone/etc. Just terrible.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
those books use the word envoy too many times and once you notice it then it starts to break your brain

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

those books use the word envoy too many times and once you notice it then it starts to break your brain

God Damon you

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
take a drink every time they talk about envoy conditioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
that said Morgan has this obsession with hypermale male men who are male so that's what makes the land fit for heroes books quite good because they have an aggressively gay male character

• Locked thread