Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

new black mirror was good, new poi was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
finished watching ascension

man gently caress did that get weird

i want to see more of escaped dude's adventures on earth

the front of the ship looked like one of those big ol lighthouse fresnel lenses. it was cool.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i watched six episodes of black mirror and drat that poo poo is crazy

is there more than just the six episodes?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Virion posted:

in the trek thread someone occasionally posts the version with the perfect strangers music and it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i watched six episodes of black mirror and drat that poo poo is crazy

is there more than just the six episodes?

well 6 episodes and the 7th being the christmas special that was just talked about, but no more than that

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
ah, didnt notice the christmas episode perfect

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

ol qwerty bastard posted:

lol i posted about black mirror on facebook telling people to watch it

my dad is like "maybe you can bring some episodes home for us to watch at christmas"

i'm like uuuuuuhhhhh it's not exactly a cheerful family show

lol

but seriously, dang it rules

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
black mirror :catstare:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Janeway owns because she is admiral level insane the entire time

That's a generous way of saying "wishy washy incompetent"

Now John Crichton, he's admiral level insane.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

black mirror christmas ep was ok, not great

spoilered for stateside without :filez:

seemed to rehash a lot of the same elements as previous eps (filtered perception/obsession from entire history; limbo/torture as criminal justice from white bear); the best black mirror reflects the horror of implications of current tech and society; the PUA stuff was interesting but the blocking/sim stuff felt more sci-fi (roko's basilisk lol)

bonus: comparison between the rant at 15 million merits and charlie booker's regular Brit tv appearances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9Hg369pcA
somebody said 15 million was autobiographical but i didnt really get it until i saw those clips

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
this sounds like a boring premise but I want a movie about the aftermath of a sci fi movie. in a movie like attack the block or tremors or something it just ends. I think it'd be cool to have a movie about a reporter interviewing people after the fact and pictures of dead aliens on the 6 oclock news

or like a godzilla movie where godzilla isn't even in the movie, it's just reporters interviewing emergency workers and military veterans families, people just flabbergasted a giant lizard exists and crushed their house

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PCjr sidecar posted:

black mirror christmas ep was ok, not great

spoilered for stateside without :filez:

[spoiler]

bonus: comparison between the rant at 15 million merits and charlie booker's regular Brit tv appearances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9Hg369pcA
somebody said 15 million was autobiographical but i didnt really get it until i saw those clips
Wow that ipad clip owns

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
gently caress 'devices'

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
charlie brooker is a national hero

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this sounds like a boring premise but I want a movie about the aftermath of a sci fi movie. in a movie like attack the block or tremors or something it just ends. I think it'd be cool to have a movie about a reporter interviewing people after the fact and pictures of dead aliens on the 6 oclock news

or like a godzilla movie where godzilla isn't even in the movie, it's just reporters interviewing emergency workers and military veterans families, people just flabbergasted a giant lizard exists and crushed their house

they should do this for Independence Day

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
feel like watching a sci fi movie tonight

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dammit barclay

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

there's a recurring sketch on that mitchell and webb look that takes place after 'the event'

it's kinda trippy for a comedy show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

remain indoors

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I like black mirror a lot but I've learned that if you want to turn people on to the show, skip the first episode.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

they should do this for Independence Day

I know right

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I like black mirror a lot but I've learned that if you want to turn people on to the show, skip the first episode.

I watched the first episode with my mom and she thought it was awesome as hell

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

thats a cool opinion for a pinhead to have

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

syscall girl posted:

there's a recurring sketch on that mitchell and webb look that takes place after 'the event'

it's kinda trippy for a comedy show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

remain indoors

so funny and terrifying

and yeah that would be a good framework for a movie but what's the conflict? countries/companies trying to make a land grab in the aftermath could work, but I dunno. it's a little vanilla. needs more scifi

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Kirk posted:

thats a cool opinion for a pinhead to have

i enjoy it so yeah, my friends are pinheads

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

indigi posted:

so funny and terrifying

and yeah that would be a good framework for a movie but what's the conflict? countries/companies trying to make a land grab in the aftermath could work, but I dunno. it's a little vanilla. needs more scifi

once in the pub we pitched a season of Friends which would be along these lines, I don't remember if it was before or after we'd seen Mitchell & Webb sketches

it was basically the original show with the same characters and setting, except that a mysterious dark figure would be present in every scene, in almost every shot, continuously staring directly at the camera, never in focus, never acknowledged or even referred to by the characters but clearly actually physically present because they'd always step around him or sometimes behind him

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qntm posted:

it was basically the original show with the same characters and setting, except that a mysterious dark figure would be present in every scene, in almost every shot, continuously staring directly at the camera, never in focus, never acknowledged or even referred to by the characters but clearly actually physically present because they'd always step around him or sometimes behind him
that was monica

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

once in the pub we pitched a season of Friends which would be along these lines, I don't remember if it was before or after we'd seen Mitchell & Webb sketches

kind of like marble hornets brought to prime time tv

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
thinking about it, "Too Many Cooks" has pretty much wrapped that idea up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

qntm posted:

thinking about it, "Too Many Cooks" has pretty much wrapped that idea up

you can see the weird guy in just about every scene

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

you can see the weird guy in just about every scene

that's a reflection in your monitor

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

lol you actually talk about the show friends

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

infernal machines posted:

that is a Teutonic burn

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

idiot american baka gaijin, watching mass market trash when there the sophisticated arts of the orient are available

*goes back to watching jr high school melodrama*, subs not dubs, please

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

ur a loser talking about the most popular sitcom of the 90s

*goes back to 1,260 page TNG appreciation thread*

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

infernal machines posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that was monica

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

meant to emptyquote that

so what are some good creepy sci fi flicks?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

meant to emptyquote that

so what are some good creepy sci fi flicks?

black mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

black mirror

the black mirror talk is what made me ask that question

• Locked thread