Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

i'm shamed to admit i'm still enjoying defiance, the syfy show with a video game tie-in

don't be

sometimes it's fun to watch space bugs and lasers and aliens and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
defiance is good

ant man is a heist movie plus superheroes, it's fun

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i watched speilberg's war of the worlds. i liked the three separate occasions when tom cruise stepped out of a house into a radically changed world.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glorgnole posted:

i watched speilberg's war of the worlds. i liked the three separate occasions when tom cruise stepped out of a house into a radically changed world.

god that movie was awful

a friend of mine left the theater upset that the humans didn't defeat the aliens outright, like in independence day

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the only good part of war of the worlds is when tom cruise gets sprayed by human ashes and flips out

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the part where the alien gets scared by the wheel is good too

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTMFKwMz0g

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

speaking of the Cruise Missile, I saw the new Mission Impossible today and was somewhat underwhelmed... I mean it was OK, but it seemed a bit small-scale compared to the last one and in no way stacked up.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

it's got 93% on rt so far which seems pretty high

edge of tomorrow best tom cruise

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i didn't know that was jj until last night. motherfucker has star wars, star trek, and mission impossible franchises all at the same time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ol qwerty bastard posted:

edge of tomorrow best tom cruise

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my fav part of edge of tomorrow was tom cruise getting shot in the head over and over

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think that actually buoyed the film. I do love a good montage and those were some choice cuts

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my fav part of edge of tomorrow was tom cruise getting shot in the head over and over

mine was also that but also that bill paxton got to be dropship shouting man again like in aliens :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYGgOXww48

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMaVIAlJlnw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stymie posted:

i'm shamed to admit i'm still enjoying defiance, the syfy show with a video game tie-in

defiance is actually not bad scifi. it also has lee tergesen who is never not awesome even if he wasnt nearly a big enough character this season

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiggityDoink posted:

defiance is actually not bad scifi. it also has lee tergesen who is never not awesome even if he wasnt nearly a big enough character this season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

speaking of the Cruise Missile, I saw the new Mission Impossible today and was somewhat underwhelmed... I mean it was OK, but it seemed a bit small-scale compared to the last one and in no way stacked up.

I liked Goats Protocol but I thought this was better. it deffo was smaller scale but I thought the action scenes were more ridiculous and cool, the spy who's-double-crossing-who poo poo was all extremely dope, the knife fight near the end was the prettiest-choreographed fight scene I've seen in a long time. my fav part about Goats Proat was how every single piece of tech they used failed in some way, I was hoping they would keep that, but alas

and it was nice to see Jack Donaghy again

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
almost caught up on hannibal. there's a striking difference between pre-red-dragon and post-red-dragon, and the pre-red-dragon poo poo was pretty goddamn bad all the way through. it did get a bit better after the first three episodes but still everything up to red dragon looked like zack snyder doing his impersonation of hannibal, and the plot was utterly loving retarded. not just "not good", but honestly embarrassing

and then red dragon pops up and it's like "oh okay we have an actual script again, let's do that" and it's great

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Trig Discipline posted:

almost caught up on hannibal. there's a striking difference between pre-red-dragon and post-red-dragon, and the pre-red-dragon poo poo was pretty goddamn bad all the way through. it did get a bit better after the first three episodes but still everything up to red dragon looked like zack snyder doing his impersonation of hannibal, and the plot was utterly loving retarded. not just "not good", but honestly embarrassing

and then red dragon pops up and it's like "oh okay we have an actual script again, let's do that" and it's great

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tonight's movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVBXQg_q9cE

in glorious HD... This fucken film man :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 3, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quickmemedafuq

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

my friend and i just watched ant-man

i liked it. i mean at this point with a marvel movie you basically know what you're getting - dude gets some sort of superpower, dude trains with superpower, there's a fight against a villain who doesn't matter, stan lee cameo. but you know it's still fun to watch.

michael douglas: "my wife tried to shrink between the molecules but then she got stuck in the quantum realm"

*later*

paul rudd: "i'm going to have to shrink between the molecules. it's the only way."

audience: "didn't see that coming at all"

also the post-credits scene is just HEY! CIVIL WAR! GUYS WE'RE DOING CIVIL WAR! THAT'S A THING THAT'S HAPPENING! CIVIL WAR!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i liked ant-man okay but i don't think they let paul rudd paul-rudd-it-up enough

i also came away with the impression that edgar wright wanted to make a movie where some random nebbish gets thrust into the marvel universe and has to cope with it, rather than having such strong connections to hank pym

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i thought the run-up to the actual story/action was longer than it needed to be and less entertaining than it could have been, but once stuff got going it was pretty darn fun

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I didn't know we were talking about my sex life a-whoa ho ho ho ho

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

well the movie is based on things that are super tiny so your sex life is pretty relevant

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
rick and morty is amazing, thank you sci-fi thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dodoman posted:

rick and morty is amazing, thank you sci-fi thread

I watched the first season and liked it, too.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

indigi posted:

I liked Goats Protocol but I thought this was better. it deffo was smaller scale but I thought the action scenes were more ridiculous and cool, the spy who's-double-crossing-who poo poo was all extremely dope, the knife fight near the end was the prettiest-choreographed fight scene I've seen in a long time. my fav part about Goats Proat was how every single piece of tech they used failed in some way, I was hoping they would keep that, but alas

and it was nice to see Jack Donaghy again

it hit me about 3/4 of the way through that ilsa is a better agent than ethan. i'm not 100% sure this was intentional

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think it was. the theme of the last two movies seems to be "Ethan fucks up like all of the time and usually comes out on top by accident." at one point they even have Alec Baldwin say something like "you have a perfect record that looks suspiciously like luck"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I really liked in Ghost Protocol that unlike a James Bond flick they didn't just completely write off the fact that Ethan was happily involved with a nice lady and the end of the previous film. In fact a major subplot of Ghost Protocol is Ethan looking after his now-wife (in an indirect way) :3:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah and I didn't like how they did just write her off in this one

although I'd have gone away with Ilsa, god drat

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

i thought the run-up to the actual story/action was longer than it needed to be and less entertaining than it could have been, but once stuff got going it was pretty darn fun

Michael pena was pretty good at least

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also jesus loving christ, my former favourite show sleepy hollow has decided not to bring back the best part of the show for season 3, they are axing the headless horseman

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
true detective was ok

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Valeyard posted:

also jesus loving christ, my former favourite show sleepy hollow has decided not to bring back the best part of the show for season 3, they are axing the headless horseman

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Valeyard posted:

they are axing the headless horseman

how ironic

• Locked thread