Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

haveblue posted:

there's bond which is sort of unique
oh yeah that too and it's basically in the same boat as star trek as far as i care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

oh yeah that too and it's basically in the same boat as star trek as far as i care

there's also the pink panther

also there was a shitton of unofficial django sequels

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

computer parts posted:

there's also the pink panther

also there was a shitton of unofficial django sequels
nah that's more friday the 13th/police academy crap

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

harry potter and the half-dead franchise

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read the first Hyperion book today. I feel like I missed out on something for the first half of the book by not realizing the increasingly obvious Keats connection sooner. I never read all of The Canterbury Tales but am I wrong for thinking it's the Canterbury Tales with a scifi interstellar war plot woven in, and instead of a cathedral and holy site it's a bloodthirsty alien horror thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Larry Parrish posted:

I read the first Hyperion book today. I feel like I missed out on something for the first half of the book by not realizing the increasingly obvious Keats connection sooner. I never read all of The Canterbury Tales but am I wrong for thinking it's the Canterbury Tales with a scifi interstellar war plot woven in, and instead of a cathedral and holy site it's a bloodthirsty alien horror thing

no

second book drops that structure though

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

well, Jupiter Ascending... :o:

this non stop action is too much for the audience we need a 5 minute space dmv scene

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

haveblue posted:

no

second book drops that structure though

it's still worth reading if you want to know what happened. endymion and rise are worth reading if you want to see catholicism adapted for the rigors of space.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

outside of no-stakes no-effort poo poo like horror movie sequels and uhhh police academy i can't think of any similar franchise purgatories except star trek, usually you'd get a sequel or two and be done and only black-and-white movies got outright remakes

I was thinking alien/predator/alien vs predator off the top of my head

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

angry_keebler posted:

this non stop action is too much for the audience we need a 5 minute space dmv scene

in a film with an incoherent plot that stood out as particularly weird, yeah. it felt like something scribbled on a fag packet by Terry Gilliam.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

in a film with an incoherent plot that stood out as particularly weird, yeah. it felt like something scribbled on a fag packet by Terry Gilliam.

let me blow your mind: terry gilliam was in that scene

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

good yospos username

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7HSShdNIs

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

i dont understand whats going on here. the sensors are on their chests, right? why are they holding the guns way up in the air? why are they at point blank range?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I skipped to the end and those two nerds showed more sportsmanship with high fiving and poo poo than anyone in video game competitions

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Davethulhu posted:

i dont understand whats going on here. the sensors are on their chests, right? why are they holding the guns way up in the air? why are they at point blank range?

[–]thrownawayagain9999 -6 points 2 hours ago
A lot of replies here as anticipated when I clicked the link are just "It looks funny, and I don't understand it, therefore it's stupid".
As ridiculous as it looks after playing Laser Tag for a long time, this is how games become both 1v1 and in team matches. Just like anything that requires any amount of skill it tends to evolve into something that to someone who isn't familiar with Laser Tag it looks pointless and silly simply because they don't understand it.
What you're watching is called 'Dog Fighting' or 'Ring of Fire'. It's a 1v1 close quarters version of Laser Tag that is simply taken from how you interact with another player while playing in team games. So let me see if I can explain this a little clearer so you can get at least the jist of it. When you play most Laser Tag systems, there's 5-6 areas on your body where you can be hit and be knocked out / timed out. This is often both shoulders, chest, back and your gun. The reason you play like this is the same reason you don't wear poke your head out as a sniper. You are reacting and moving in reaction how they are moving and moving their gun. You always want their laser to hit a part of your body that DOES NOT have a sensor on it. So this typically results in lifting one should up to block both shoulders, and a slight turn to block either your chest or back, and slightly reveal the other, so if they go for one you can twist to the other. Additionally you hold the gun up high to counter this, or swing it upside down low, to hit the lower sensors. Simply put, this is like learning to wavedash and L-cancel in Super Smash Bros Melee (look it up) it looks pointless to those who just 'play for fun' but play against someone that knows what they're doing, and you won't be able to touch them. It looks dumb but it works and it's how you gain an advantage.
As for those saying it looks like the least fun way to play Laser Tag. I've played thousands of hours of Laser Tag (I worked at one in High School) and I can say that it's fun destroying little kids birthday parties while being paid, but when it comes down to it this is bar none of the most fun things to do once you understand it and know what you're doing. It really does take a ton of skill, it's just arguably one of thee most pointless skills a human can have but the best player will almost always win.
Source: I worked at a Laser Tag area for a long time, I have competed against several countries in Laser Tag, I have won a World Championship (with a medal to prove it), and I have played against several of these guys in this video.
And, yes it's a little embarrassing when friends tell people "Did you know he's a World Champion Laser Tag player?!" as a joke but gently caress it how many people can say they're an actual World Champion at something?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

full lights, 1v1, no fog, no pizza breaks, fox only, no items, final destination

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol holy poo poo I was beaten by someone comparing it to competitive super smash bros with a straight face

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I really wish the NFL would stop doing the other parts of the game and just kick extra points for three hours

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

regular laser tag:1v1 laser tag::basketball:a dunk contest except lay ups instead of dunks and the hoop is at shoulder height

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you just made 4 posts in a row about laser tag

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I mean you just showed more interest in laser tag than anyone has in years

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i went to laser tag for my friend's bachelor party back in april

two of the guys i was with got really competitive about it; it was super embarrassing. they'd do poo poo like follow around some six year old kid shooting him repeatedly, to boost their own score.

ugh i'm getting douche chills just remembering it. i'm glad i don't know these dudes except through the groom

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
re: hyperion

angry_keebler posted:

the canterbury tales' structure is a really good idea for a scifi book so of course it is thrown away for the sequels and instead of a bunch of wartime scifi shorts we get three plodding fantasy books that use time travel to justify neo john having sex with 12 year old girl jesus

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the hyperion sequel was total garbage

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

it was

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

good yospos username

ping my neg socket

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

theflyingexecutive posted:

I was thinking alien/predator/alien vs predator off the top of my head
avp was just a comic until 2004

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sham bam bamina! posted:

and several games. the pc sequel had you play an alien from face hugger to adult, including a whole level where you just bust a guys chest and escape some colonial marines

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

harry potter and the half-dead franchise

theres nothing half dead about it, its one of the most successful franchises ever - dominating movies and books

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the first avp comic was actually p good as i remember (with the the japanese lady and the cattle ranchers and the predalien in the end) but the rest did nothing for me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

re: dubs vs. subs

this isn't exactly dubs vs subs but it's corporate american treatment vs. fansub treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDdr-1iOqag

basically manga entertainment (bottom subs) censored anything political and even threw in some red scare for good measure. it's fine they also censored some anti-semitism, IMO. they could have changed the "jews" to "Israelis", "zionists", "right-wing extremists" or "religious zealots" or something.

they changed the plot from the one dude being falsely accused of terrorism to him being an actual terrorist and communist lol.

like they literally looked at this and went "actually, i agree with the bad guys more. let's make them good guys."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PleasureKevin posted:

re: dubs vs. subs

this isn't exactly dubs vs subs but it's corporate american treatment vs. fansub treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDdr-1iOqag

basically manga entertainment (bottom subs) censored anything political and even threw in some red scare for good measure. it's fine they also censored some anti-semitism, IMO. they could have changed the "jews" to "Israelis", "zionists", "right-wing extremists" or "religious zealots" or something.

they changed the plot from the one dude being falsely accused of terrorism to him being an actual terrorist and communist lol.

like they literally looked at this and went "actually, i agree with the bad guys more. let's make them good guys."

but frim my point of view its the Jedi ones who are evil

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
fansubs always have been complete garbage for barely literate children

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

it's the lightest of fun fluff but I'm really enjoying Race to Witch Mountain, plenty of Dwayne Johnson charisma :cool:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

but frim my point of view its the Jedi ones who are evil

holy poo poo I loving love that line

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it's the lightest of fun fluff but I'm really enjoying Race to Witch Mountain, plenty of Dwayne Johnson charisma :cool:

it's got whitley strieber in it lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

holy poo poo I loving love that line

My favourite lines from the prequels is his whole I hate sand thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't like sand is cock solid for reals but "from my point of view" is just such an angsty fourth grader way of saying smth

• Locked thread