Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

yo dudes, i need some books to read. I am reading Look to Windward now and it is one of the last culture books i haven't read. I read all of Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space books and they were MEH at best(loving ENDING OF ABSOLUTION GAP IS THE WORST ENDING OF ANY BOOK EVER) I also have read all of The Expanse series which is amazing and second only to Culture series in terms of story and setting I M H O.

I want some solid characters and some cool technology which has technobabble kept to a minimum i think. Like Commonwealth Saga was good but everything else by Hamilton is pretty garbage in this regard.

Honestly I want to find a cheesy sci-fi action book that is in the same vein as Altered Carbon but without the constant reuse of the word envoy or biononics or whatever the gently caress word they want to use to make their super soldiers seem cooler.

Also i just read a fire upon the deep and it made me happy because there was psychic doggies :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

has there been any long running sci-fi show with a first season worth a poo poo? i guess Lost but besides that they all start off horribly

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Opinion Haver posted:

i'm a huge fan of the quantum thief and the fractal prince

The fractal prince is a bit of a mess IMO but the quantum thief is really really enjoyable.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

stupid superbowl meant having 2 weeks between episodes

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Just want to pop in and say culture is the best

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

I just finished Surface Detail and it had the best call back at the end to the best culture book, Use of Weapons one of the best last lines i've seen in a book

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

AlsoD posted:

can you post it here please, i cba to go dig out my copy

Vatuiel the guy in the war sim is Zakalwe from Use of Weapons and he is meeting the poet he falls in love with

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Or maybe he is meeting a different poet since timeline wise it wouldn't make sense for him to meet her then.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

i just read The Quantum Thief and i liked it. the crazy technology wasn't difficult to understand and there was an actual plot instead of just weird stuff happening. the society based on MMOs was pretty 'lol' though, especially since MMOs apparently haven't changed much in however many centuries it's been.

i did have a couple of questions about the ending: why does Isadore get power over the city? and how did the protagonist get the archon inside of him? those were probably explained but i missed it.

if you lost yourself in parts of The Quantum Thief, i did too, don't bother reading the second, it is utterly unintelligible. I reread it and i still have no loving idea what the book is about. It also loses a lot of the quirky secondary characters in favor of god knows what. I think it was supposed to be a 1001 nights homage but it comes out as a loving mess of made up words.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

have you read it? there are djinni's that are rogue AI or something and there is a lady who is a prostitute to other AI and uhh there is a parrot? gently caress i don't even know

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

infernal machines posted:

my ex loved district 9, until i pointed out how amazingly racist it is, especially towards blacks. somehow she hadn't noticed

way to ruin a movie for someone, that is why she is your ex

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

You enjoyed this movie? Well i hate to inform you but that makes you a racist and yuo might as well join the klan

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

hey cool, the only black guy with more than 30 seconds of screen time is a cannibal warlord!

NB progressive as gently caress, what with his convention defying portrayal of a south african black man as a literal dealer of death and eater of human flesh.

so despite the white people being supremely evil capitalists who put the black people + aliens into pens its the cannibal black man that set you off?

weird

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

its almost like you can be a poo poo no matter what color your skin is :O

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

i like to point out whenever there is a non white male in a movie that the character is actually oppressed and it is racist/sexist for them to even be there

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

has there ever been a horror movie where the serial murderer isn't white?

yeah didn't think so; so who's the racists now

(has there ever been a non-white serial murderer irl?)

he didn't get that many kills but the brightest stars burn the quickest

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's not a subtle or particularly well written film but it is very pretty and it's pretty ballsy to end with the main character unambiguously dead

he isn't dead at the end of district 9....

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

he leaves little steal flowers on his wifes doorstep

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

idk how you could not enjoy district 9 it is a really rad movie

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just want a new A-Team movie with Sharlto Copley reprising Dwight Schultz's (of STNG's Ensign Barkley fame) iconic character, H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock

the a-team movie was probably as good as an a-team movie ever could possibly be

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

it's fun sci-fi action. its just got its share of faults

every loving movie does, do you not enjoy anything?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

stoutfish posted:

if you point out faults in a movie, that means you did not enjoy it, hths

point out faults enough to make a girl break up with you seems like you might be taking it too far

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

apparently as some kind of sick joke, sam reimi is directing the Last of Us movie and it's starring Bruce Campbell

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/07/25/bruce-campbell-and-maisie-williams-to-star-in-sam-raimis-the-last-of-us-film-adaptation/95769/

i am hyped

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

vOv posted:

doesn't lando actually run cloud city

lando also owns the millenium falcon

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

my comic book reading friend recommended Saga and god drat the art in it is pretty. I don't care that comics are for man children its a good comic

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

also yeah saga is really good

the art is really loving good its crazy

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

the remake of Evil Dead was really really bad.

just like the remakes of Robert Cop and Total Recall they just ignore everything that made the originals great and made a slick looking run of the mill action movie.

Evil Dead wasn't a remake of The Evil Dead tyvm it is a continuation of the series/reimagining the stuff that happened in The Evil Dead is still canon. Evil Dead was the best remake/reimagining of a movie that came out recently when you got stupid poo poo like that new The Thing which was awful garbage

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

wtf?????

the new the thing is really good. it's one of the only scifi movies where the main character is both clever and a woman that doesn't need to resort to being a tough chick to overcome obstacles

deffo one of the top 10 scifi movies from the past 10 years

nope

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

if the movie was a standalone flick it would have been OK not great but mediocre middling whatever, instead it is trying to shoehorn itself into a movie that didn't need a prequel with a bunch of poo poo that really wouldnt make sense in the 80s when the movie was meant to take place.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

whoa, that sounds a lot like you're pointing out flaws.

don't you enjoy anything?

i didnt ruin the movie for anyone by pointing out said flaws

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

there is a difference between not liking a thing and ruining a thing someone likes for them HTH

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

you ruined it for me.

i might have liked it, now i know that forums poster Locker Room Zubaz thinks its crap I'll never be able to watch it.

i didn't know we were romantically involved sorry for ruining it for you

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Surface Detail needs a badass male ship to do the heavy lifting because its sexist

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i dont think i've ever read a book/seen a movie/whatever that builds up a great mystery and then delivers on that mystery at all

Dark Tower series because the great mystery is jesus christ you are an idiot for reading 8 stephen king books

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

guardians of the galaxy has 100% so far on rt, with 25 reviews in so far. this is far better than i had predicted and i will be seeing it as soon as it's out

Chris Pratt is really funny on television and i think he would make a good comedic lead, i heard that bradley cooper's voice is bizarre and unneeded though

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

the first three are good

the rest, holy poo poo

yes sure let's have a whole book that's just your self-insert and harry potter references, that you seem to be writing to get even with the dude who hit you with his van that one time

I liked #4, i especially liked all the published hatemail at the end of #4 where he tries to explain why he couldn't end #3 with the train being defeated by a stupid riddle.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

isn't #4 the one where most of it is roland telling the story about his past

i guess it was okay but i found it kind of boring

(re: gotg, apparently they've already announced the sequel lol)

Wind Through the Keyhole is a pseudo sequel and is really really good, I like the dark tower universe before it went nuts in wolves of the callah and beyond and i think there is a lot of fun things that can be done with a dimension hopping cowboy knight of the round table. There is also a short story about the group of women that Roland's moms visits after getting caught cucking with the MIB but i can't find it anywhere except in super expensive collections.

Like the talisman/Black House are in the same universe as the original dark tower stuff(and not the weird tie every king book together poo poo that came out in Wolves of the Callah) and are both pretty fun reads.

Stephen King is my go to author for when I can't find a book to read because I know even if the story is going to end up lovely it will at least have a middle that is really interesting and page turning.

Right now I am trying to find a sci-fi series to read and the last recommendation from this thread was loving revelation space which is holy poo poo worst ending of a series ever. I wanted to throw the book into the garbage halfway through because i knew it wasn't going to be a good ending but I kept reading because redemption ark was really a good book.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bag of bones has a bone to pick with you

king is a hella talented dude. he's just old and semi-retired and free of a lot of his old personal demons.

He has always been hit or miss and it didn't change post cocaine or post van. He has put out quite a few good books in the 2000's that I really enjoyed, 11/22/63 was good and so was Wind Through the Keyhole, and i heard that Mr Mercedes is loving fantastic. He is a decent writer who writes compelling stories that almost always have poo poo endings. But really who gives a gently caress about the ending when you have had 400 pages or whatever to really enjoy a story. But he also puts out more than one book a year so go snuggle up by the fireplace and read The Shining or something.

I just read needful things and I thought the ending was comically bad but holy poo poo did I enjoy the journey to the ending.

Has anyone read the original version of The Gunslinger all I can find with minimal detective work is the revamped one that came out after he decided it was going to be part of a series. From what I read on the internets the original is even more depressing and somber, that might just be a myth though.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

welp

watched Snowpiercer

at first I was like "what the hell is this bullshit?" but then i started loling p godamn hard

Tilda Swinton owns

i didn't go into snowpiercer expecting anything good, then there was the axe filled box car and i was hooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

The first episode of The Strain was pretty cool but i am a sucker for Del Torro, it looks like it might be a somewhat decent show so idk watch it?

• Locked thread