Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh gently caress noooo Turing! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

REAMDE started off promising then got so goddamn stupid. Why Neal. Why.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was fun and stuff blew up or got hit with hammers and swords a lot I guess. Also haha spaceships and AA cannons in Asgard.

otoh today someone called TNG 'classic Star Trek' :corsair:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The way I pictured the Butlerian Jihad was that it was basically a fatwah on computers because it made people mentally lazy and reliant on machines (lol social commentary), which fits into the whole breeding program thing the BG had going on. Interesting conceptually but you'd be hard pressed to write a space epic about space luddites.

A literal war on machines is lol tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Penn and Teller were on a celebrity homes show once. The big gross guy had a stupid mansion and did a tour, including a 'bondage room'.

Lil guy had a sweet little apt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

no but that looks hilarious

the thing im thinking of has aliens with 1950s level tech

It's not Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series was it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reminder that Niven also wrote: http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

no in that one the aliens have like 2050-level tech but they invade during world war 2

the parts i read were alright i guess but turtledove sex scenes uuuugh:gonk:

I came across them when I still had the terrible habit of 'must read entire series' so I went all the way from ww2 with space lizards to bacon and spice addicted space lizards in space in 1980. I think that ended up breaking that habit though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/14/5209622/google-has-bought-robotics-company-boston-dynamics

Guess what, your power armor is going to be used for more efficient data collection.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

syscall girl posted:

unleash the unicorn, stop reading banks and check that out

Just keep reading banks, you'll get to the end anyway.

:smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

there was some dumb webcomic that said this but its true: orwell feared that we would be destroyed by the things we hate, huxley feared we would be destroyed by the things we love

Huxley was right. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It turns out sisko was a robot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The moment we come up with a self aware AI, it'll kill itself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The last ep of bsg owned because when's the last time you saw a starship captain rolling around in his own vomit in a back alley?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i was under the impression that the whole place was basically inorganic though. you got 200 people, the base is made of metal, no fossil fuels cause you got a nuclear reactor. definitely doesn't seem to be enough stuff around to turn into a hive.

then again this isn't exactly a unique problem in the alien universe. it's never clear how the original chest burster thing grows from teh size of a ferret to 11 feet tall in like 2 days without eating anyone or anything, or how the fetus alien in prometheus gets from basketball size to elephant size while locked in the surgical bay

Magic black goo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does it have the opera house being trashed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

there, finished the culture books.

guess i need some new books

I'm sure he's started working on his next one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anathem was pretty good, but Reamde was pretty bad. Diamond Age is pretty enjoyable. The Baroque Cycle is pretty massive and features great great grandfathers of Shaftoe and Waterhouse doing whatever it is they're doing. YMMV with enjoyment of these ridiculously huge volumes.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 25, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

vOv posted:

if nothing else i'm really curious as to why the hell the solar system is so far away from all the other stars

Comedy answer: Its a sequel to the Night's Dawn trilogy or Feersum Enjinn.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

diamond age and anathem both own. as is standard for stephenson scifi, the endings are terrible bolted-on affairs. it's about a journey, not the destination.

Anathem actually had a shockingly complete ending compared to his other works. Then you get to the end and it's a filler section with an appendix and a digression about teaching a sperglord how to cut up a cake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Davethulhu posted:

an example: one of the main characters is the developer of the most popular mmo in the world. the key to this success? realistic geology

America's love of freedom and guns saves the day in the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

does a book exist of a muslim in a non muslim land actually being a good guy?

Ms. Marvel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

indigi posted:

then I realized I was mistaking Gattaca and Species

How do you even do that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

or maybe intelligent life is really common but communication by vision and sound are not, so the universe is full of species frantically beaming smells at us in an attempt to communicate but we just have no idea

Great, someone's beaming us space-farts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

my earlier post actually has me thinking about a story idea

mid-22nd century, and humanity has been attacked by the transmissions of not one, but several different alien postorganic intelligences at the same time. the majority of the planet is busy trying to conquer the rest for their own particular attack vector or invasive conceptual framework, and there's a small number of holdouts who are immune to such things. the current idea is that the protagonist has genetic dyscalculia and so none of the alien mindviruses can even get a grip or her or her people, who by this point have their own weak AI to handle any math that needs to get done

("One of my most important memories is of my mother's machine trying to teach me how to multiply numbers. I was seven and it had been kept from me why they were so important. When I utterly failed to do so, it was cause for celebration, and I was given my real name and my own machine.")

this is how spacefaring civilizations expand, it turns out. the only ones that are actually able to spread across multiple worlds are the postorganic ones, which use local biologicals to bootstrap themselves onto new planets via attack transmissions. eventually there might be actual spacecraft arriving from previously conquered worlds, but it's completely impractical to try to physically conquer a planet with an interstellar sub-light spacecraft that's taken thousands of years to get there (since even the most efficient reaction drives have limited fuel and therefore limited acceleration), so the worlds need to be seeded properly ahead of time. most of the civilizations don't even bother with ships, since these intelligences don't care about biological timeframes and most aren't picky about the local "hardware" they're running on

earth happened to already be in the crosshairs of several competing civilizations (nice planet, sentient species without major physical defects, gas giants to disassemble) and multiple transmissions were decoded by human weak AI roughly simultaneously, leading to competition for "mindshare". only one of the attackers was interested in open, physical warfare because it was planning on sending ships to pick up the pieces, and that one was exterminated by a coalition of the others who all have different goals for the local biosphere

but writing it in a way which is more interesting than a summary is always the hard part and i'm not sure there's actually a story here

Forrest Gump meets Independence Day! It'll be a blockbuster!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the plus side, the movie means only First Class ever happened. vOv

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stoutfish posted:

the skin around your butt hole absorbs chemicals fastest and best.

Ahahahah that fukken avatar again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And its all over by the time the human crew is even aware what's going on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Picked up the new Prophet series and I think I gave myself some kind of brain damage. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.comixology.com/Prophet-Vol-1-Remission/digital-comic/28583

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

and william gibson is still putting out solid stuff on a fairly regular basis

Well someone's got to eat all this bran

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plus seat belts in space battles so you dont fly all over the place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The first three movies exist, were you expecting any different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o
Also this is kind of amazing when the story beats just match exactly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Babylon 5 didnt even know if they'd get a season 5, so they rushed to finish everything for the end of season 4. Then whoops they got renewed and basically thumb twiddled for a whole season. Just watch til the end of 4.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

here's a story about exactly that situation, an alien and a human meeting and the only thing they end up managing to do is have sex:
http://escapepod.org/2010/07/08/ep248-spar/

I read this and all I got was a weird gross bone

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

12 Monkeys will premiere on SyFy in January 2015.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mooooods

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The movie is pretty not great, the GITS series was much improved.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a pretty good investigation about the existence of cyborg nipples though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol you thought popular meant it was good

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please dont tap the giant jar of piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That diving bell accident was some horrifying poo poo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

• Locked thread