Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wow a book about a sex toy having adventures has a picture of that sex toy on the cover how terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That's 'The Laundry' for people who want to look it up.

Also, there's a freebie short story in that universe you can try a taste-test with: The Concrete Jungle

While we're on the subject of Lovecraftian Stross freebies, there is the other Laundry short Down on the Farm and the unrelated A Colder War.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the borg just need to assimilate one jedi and then they can mind trick everybody into standing still while a drone walks up and injects the nanos.

they could probably isolate midichlorians, grow them in a lab, and then modify every drone to be a jedi.

in conclusion, gently caress george lucas

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

also i remember one by whoever wrote ringworld (larry niven? idk) that posited that humans were actually aliens and that our species needed the fruit of some kind of weird tree to actually mature past the adolescent stage and then some space dude finds this tree and transforms into the adult form of humans and some other stuff happens and he flies a big spaceship full of stuff to earth and probably some other stuff happens i cant remember, i was like 12 when i read it, it seemed neat at the time.

You forgot the birth-control-via-interspecies-sex thing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rishathra

That and the sunflowers are the only thing I remember of Ringworld.

The only thing I remember of Rocheworld is the utility bush and the life extension drugs that temporarily induce a retarded child level intelligence with a hyperactive libido.

The only thing I remember from Foundation are the hand full of anti-social hermaphrodites living on Earth.

Basically what I'm saying is that 1970s scifi was written by perverts.

edit: Also, Heinlein.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 24, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Not every book can be Slaughterhouse Five.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The new book isn't as good, sadly. It isn't terrible, though.

A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky had two interesting stories told simultaneously about a high-tech and a low-tech civilization where great and interesting things are going on, while Children of the Sky is purely about politics in the mostly low-tech human/tine civilization with a bit of setup for book four, when the Blight ramships (may?) finally reach the tine's world.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wait, over the gate? Not over the fence? Is their fence one big gate?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The defining characteristic of the mirror universe is the sash. The goatee is just a bonus.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't have autism and read for fun, with that in mind does Embassytown get better or does it remain this boring book about dinner parties

i'm 1/3 in and nothing has really happened other that world building and lessons in linguistics.

poo poo hits fan after the off-planet Ambassador arrives.

I never stopped being irritated that the Hosts could understand recorded or broadcast speech, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

someone a couple of pages ago said it was okay but not great

idgaf, i've already preordered it

That was me. Its OK, but not great.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

z0r z0r gabor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpIZrOH4zc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Star Trek: The Animated Series

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it's in slot two of my queue, right after the original star trek

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Reamde is easily the worst thing that Stephenson has written.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And that includes all the books he co-wrote with his uncle under a pseudonym.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

also, someone answer this question:

There was a second season?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

original said "go away"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sniep posted:

And what are some 24th century sex toys? I mean, really... Dont cockblock us, star trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is12anYx2Qs

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LP97S posted:

Your posts will be assimilated.

Your post are, like the Kazon, inferior and unworthy of assimilation.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it's easier to skip the middle-man and hate voyager directly

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Metalocalypse is pretty good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

which is the most egregious violation of thermodynamics: kink springs in the windup girl or wind powered heaters in the mars trilogy?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

libraries own

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's the trilogy that ends with Luke Skywalker battling his evil clone Luuuke Skywalker, right?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

those were pretty decent books. took me way too many years after the fact to get the Luuuke in-joke, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

has anybody said the vorkosigan saga yet? because those are pretty good too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In the first trilogy, yes. The second is widely hated for reasons I don't remember.

OTOH, Eric S. Raymond hates David Brin, so read them anyway.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 14, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Even if you ignore everything related to his personal life, Doctorow is still a terrible scifi author.

He actually thought that car-based adhoc wireless P2P music sharing networks was a thing worth writing about.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESTkOWjl3w4

genetically engineered biological mesh network nodes would be cool

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don't know why I started with car music sharing, he actually thought people sneaking into Disneyland to live there permanently was a thing worth writing about.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, capitalism still exists, you just have to evade disney security for the rest of your life

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, its his first book and released long enough ago that you could conceivably have not yet figured out that he was a moron.

I only read a bit of the beginning. :smug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

My biggest gripe about the Mistborn trilogy is how he pulled a Mormon at the end.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PSA: Don't cheap out and use plant-grade nano instead of medical-grade nano to improve yourself.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

raruler posted:

So I've been reading Jack McDevitt novels lately. The Alex Benedicts ones are so formulaic you'd find them on the side of a Bisquick box.

The ending to the Engines of God series was just terrible.

On a related note, the whateverfuck sequels to the Uplift Trilogy by David Brin are also bad.

I have no idea how Jack McDevitt wins awards. I assumed it was some kind of Canadian patriotism thing, but it turns out he isn't Canadian.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

aliens (often machines) scouring the galaxy of all life was an established trope before mass effect

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

yeah but before mass effect games forum posters didn't convert thousands of dollars into stupid emoticons and avatars

for those of you who were curious like me, there are no less than eleven mass effect emoticons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it is also a game about having poorly written sex with aliens

• Locked thread