Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sniep posted:

why A) was idiocracy disowned by fox
and B) not available on bluray :/

Just watch your families home movies, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just finished the first book of the Admiral Thrawn trilogy of Star Wars novels and it's surprisingly decent. Similar tone and reasonably close quality to the original movies, anyway. Would have made a decent sequel trilogy if it were directed by someone other than george lucas

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

wishing someone from this thread would die every 20 pages

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

almost all fantasy novels and comic books are written by manchildren with weird sexual fantasies

at least know what you're getting into when you read these things

wonder woman was basically created to be a very thinly veiled bdsm fetish

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

are there any good novels in that genre that aren't tolkien or tolkein ripoffs? in particular i'm looking for something sans elfs.

It's a loooooooooooot easier to find good science fiction than it is to find good fantasy

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the only reason tolkein is good is because he just wanted to sperg out about languages and songs and myths, and then everyone that came after decided the window dressing parts (orcs and stuff) were the important bit

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

elric of melniboner

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

z0ratio fartboner posted:

nah... Tolkien owns... I will never read the hobbit again tho

lovely compared to his later works

the hobbit was intended as a child's bedtime story so it's drastically different in tone from the other stuff

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

star wars eu is weird because they've constructed narratives around characters that only ever had a name so they could make an action figure out of it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

boy i sure am excited to read the further adventures of a character that was a nameless extra in a rubber suit

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

oh yeah, need to read those gene wolfe books

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stuff I read recently that was good:

Ilium
Olympos
The Colour of Magic

Discworld seems like a fantasy version of Hitchhiker's Guide that's better in every way.

Speaking of TV, I was watching Star Trek on Netflix and at one point Picard whips out a tablet and it's like 3 times as thick as the iPad

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

half of this is true

Hitchhiker's Guide isn't horrible, it's just that DA had a tendency to slap you in the face with the joke, and the pacing is terrible which is why I never got past the halfway point of book 2 even though I thought they were funny.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brace posted:

I think I might go out drinking, except not actually, I'll go out pretending like I'm gonna drink, get really wasted and come home and then just post on yospos while watching 2001 a space odyssey

2011 a shitposting odyssey

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

mods change tom collins name to 12 monkeytails, tia

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

PYF crazy bigoted conservative SF:

Apparently at the end the Texas Rangers defeat the Mexicans and then go on to take on the Muslims.

this retroactively reduced my enjoyment of ilium/olympos, though at least I bought them bought them used. If I read anything else of his I'll be sure to buy secondhand

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i met a irl firefly fan and he was into linux

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Coffee Quack posted:

one of the best sci fi movies ever, you gotta be a pro to carry a 90 minute movie by yourself

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

arioch posted:

I like how Cowboys & Aliens looks basically like an adaptation of Prey

that was indians versus aliens

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

The worse it is the better it will be basically

this is the idea behind my gimmick

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brace posted:

gonna see planet of the apes, gonna own.

say hi to mum and dad

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

she lied and says she's in love with him
can't find a bitterman

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

well the answer is complicated because the Empire's laser cannons and turbolasers are

empire is star wars heathen

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

I am reminded of a dude whose posts I saw elsewhere who was so rabidly homosexual he claimed vaginas were filthy and that the anus was self-cleaning.

I've heard this argument IRL before

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's so bad about joining the borg anyway? Sounds like a p sweet deal to me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

sure, if youre like suicidal or something. you completely lose all individuality and just exist as a meat sack to carry out the will of the collective which you are now a part of

It's not that different from the Singularity

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LP97S posted:

You used to be.

Accurate. When my dad was an engineer at GE they'd all go out and have a couple drinks with lunch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

the hr director was drunk as gently caress and goosed me @ the company xmas party

I hope you filed a sexual harassment complaint with...hr?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

no she is a pretty azn girl a+++ would be harassed again

you're trivializing all the sexual harassment men in the workplace have been fighting against for years

gj rotor

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My dad kind of owned, honestly...engineer, smoked a pipe, drank at work, married a woman 20 years younger than him despite being short and fat and balding

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dear RMS posted:

Started reading Snow Crash for the first time. Am I supposed to think some of this is ridiculous?

Do you really have to ask?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

at least he writes really good endings

neal stephenson is enjoyable, but he's not nearly clever enough to pull off the kinds of books he tries to write

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish there was more epic sci-fi. I could really for like a 5000 page history of war with an alien species right now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

just finished Ringworld and uhhhhhh...it wasn't really all that good

i've pretty much spoiled myself by reading a bunch of culture books, haven't i?

I thought the same

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A lot of hard sci-fi is going to have a hard time withstanding the test of time. You're going to have to deal with more speculative aspects of science to do anything interesting and there's always a chance half of it will end up being a dead end 10 years later

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda dumb to stop writing SF for that reason though. It's entertainment, not a crystal ball. Neuromancer is still a great book even if was almost totally wrong about what the future would look like.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've only read the first Ringworld book but the whole book basically boiled down to 'Explore featureless wasteland filled with nothing but small settlements of savages every couple thousand miles'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are the Lensman books easier to find in other countries or something? It looks like most of them have been out of print for 20 years in the US.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

drat, that midget's credentials are more impressive than mine

brb suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

unleash the unicorn posted:

About that: Everytime I read about Banks it's all "post-scarcity" this and "planned economies are superior" that. I find that ridiculous for reasons that have no place in this thread and I'm afraid it would ruin the books for me just as much as "breeding for luck" or intelligent dolphins would.

Tell us more about Ayn Rand and your Libertarian beliefs, and how it affects your enjoyment of a good book.

• Locked thread