Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

raruler posted:

Nope
                    /

people actually watch stargate sg-1 cause drat

that was p cool in the stargate movie when they had those masks that opened up, and kurt russel scared some dudes with a lighter I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey kirk whatever happened to worf's babby that kid was fuckin retarded

the kid was klingon why wasn't he running around loving poo poo up and punching troi in the box like that ginger kid from problem child

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

moon was awesome

[moon_scummvm_game.pcx]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfkAA_raI24

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

disclaimer: yeah yeah, i know, anime and poo poo, but this is actually good provided you stop at volume 3 and never touch anything else from japan because its pretty well universally poo poo.

its pretty hard science drama about people commissioned to clear out space debris due to an oversaturation in prime orbital real estate but grows pretty nicely from there. the protagonist is a bit of a twat but manages to grow the gently caress up and it doesn't fall into the weird as poo poo trappings that japan seems to love. it gets a bit weird and metaphorical near the end but its a short read and you should check it out

apparently there was a tv series too but i didnt watch it because anime

planetes loving owns. it's about garbagemen in space and is def dope sci fi

also anyone who actually likes transmetropolitan is a loving dork and not worth talking to about anything

Planetes owns gently caress a star track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

the first half of transmet is a pretty decent collection of linked short stories in an interesting edge-of-the-singularity setting (with great art). the second half is a leaden, obvious political analogy with an always-right mary sue protagonist and a cheap cop-out ending (with great art).

lol no

I'mma sperg out on this but transmetropolitan is dumbshit pablum sci fi for babbys

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Hey guys I just read transmetropolitan and a bunch of neal stephenson so dig it I'm straight up on the pulse of cyberpunk transhumanism I'm going to make a tumblr cyberspace blog about it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ~ɹǝuoq ʇɹɐɟ~

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
man dig it you're an astronaut all up in space, and you're all packed up in your space gear and you gotta rock the worst dook ever

what are the logistics? cause you're in a spacesuit right? so if you drop one does it float around in your space suit diaper till you get back? or do you get hella diaper rash like a babby? makes you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH-zOfyEs3s

space dook snipe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Never Scroll posted:

Close this thread quick

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gently caress SOPA gently caress all haters watch this poo poo cause you'll never know about it anyway

http://www.anime-sub.com/watch/planetes-episode-01.html

sci fi bitch

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

that awful man posted:

please keep rules 7, 19, 19a & 40 in mind before posting

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mr_jim posted:

i don't know poo poo about comic books, but iawtp.

dude when you're in space you gotta poo poo your pants its inevitable

will humanity survive in these times, will humanity collectively poo poo it's pants for the prospect of space?!

Or... has humanity already poo poo it's pants for good?! tune in next time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FEMA summer camp posted:

pretty bold words for a guy who was just advocating an anime, but hey just to give you a chance lets see what an internet says about planetes

dumbshit pablum sci-fi for babbys huh? your clearly the guy to be judgin that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

I was thinking the other day that there really oughta be more books & movies about the hollow earth and what strange and exciting things might be there

it's all p much been done ages ago homeboy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kirk posted:

holy poo poo people unironically recommended that cartoon

gently caress you

gently caress you

don't you go to star trek conventions or some poo poo?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

if there ever is actual space war it's going to be so boring, thousands of fist-sized spherical robots shooting sand traveling at relativistic speeds at each other or maybe invisible beams

thats pretty awesome though. I heard some guy talking about this poo poo awhile ago, and he was saying poo poo about little robots that would zip over and spray epoxy or whatever onto spy satellite optics and junk.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

BonzoESC posted:

or just smash into them and keep going

Nah man, that'd create so much garbage zipping around that could damage your own satellites

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FEMA summer camp posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's isolinear chips, the bioneural gelpacks were some stupid voyager bullshit that's just better ignored like everything else in that ball tumor of a show.

harry potter can do a magic on the computer memory banks but then DARTH VADER WILL USE LIGHTENING ON THEM!!!! WHAT THEN!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fork bomb posted:

lol what is this

the hand strap in the back makes it easier to slam the thing into your forehead over and over

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah but if they were designed properly you could have a backup core or two on board to replace it.

also in federation space there are probably plenty of nearby places that could bring u out a core.

it'd be cool to have a star track show about repair dudes. like the dudes that have to go do EVAs to patch up ships, and like space tugboat pilots.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SATURNS SON EATER posted:

So the first thing you'll want to do when you get your machine limbs is try to lift something huge. Oh no! That bus is falling off a cliff! Better go catch it!

You jump up and catch the underside on your hands. Great job! But, instead of the relieved cries of little Johnny and Mary as they're saved from falling to fiery doom, you hear screams of agony as your metal hands rip through the undercarriage, up through the aisle, your arms and torso now bloodied like some B-grade zombie. It's not your blood; you just impaled little Johnny from crotch to sternum.

wouldn't you just rip your robot limb right off your body? or break your robot legs at the knees or hips

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

lexx is loving great

did you see the one where drag queens rode a hot air balloon into space and the lexx spaceship eats them

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

well the terrible production values of Lexx made it look exactly like skinemax "erotic thrillers"

it was a canadian show what canadian show doesn't look like that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
STANLEY TWEEDLE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
comin home at night high and drunk as hell takin your shoes off and floppin on the couch, then you spark one and flip on the TV before you go to bed and the only thing on is some crazy lexx poo poo

that's the only time to watch lexx p much

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

Best SF/fantasy found footage film is "Troll Hunter". I was loving amazed at how good that was.

pick a night and get high and drunk as hell with ya homeboys and watch this movie. like put ya babbys to bed or get a sitter and go get high and drink some beers and watch this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

toby posted:

i think there was a stipulation that it would need to be good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm gunna go off on sci fi cause why not. what the gently caress happened to the dudes that even built that CDC bunker for Andromeda Strain? everyone who writes sci fi is just like yeah we got this super secret base and I think leprechauns built it!

but you know there's a mass grave filled with the corpses of contractors who built these sci fi bunkers in the first place

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
"but I just poured cement what are you doing?!" and bam some dude gets shot with a space laser in the head and dumped in a pit he himself dug

lol sci fi

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey guys we got this new spaceship from starfleet. try to ignore the shrieking skulls embedded in the hull. it's just teleporter accidents.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's not really sci fi but I started reading The Hot Zone and it's p awesome. imagine sitting on a plane and the guy next to you starts literally puking his liquified internal organs into a bag and bleeding from every orifice what a poo poo day that would be

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i read that book like 20 years ago is it still good

I never got around to reading it before but yeah it's pretty okay

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

there are literally people so dissatisfied with mass effect 3s ending that they are claiming it was all the dream of a dying commander shepard because that is honestly a better alternative to what the ending actually is

did shepard beat the alien robot monsters? cause that's all I give a gently caress about. I beat mass effect 1 and 2 so I don't care how it ends as long as shepard beats the big alien shrimp monsters in a cool way with explosions etc

I'm going to wait till it's on sale to finish the series either way

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

kinda

in that case, no.

wow lame

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

remember when anakin blew up the trade federation ship at the end of Phantom Menace? no? nobody does because it was really loving boring and didnt mean anything?

yeah its like that but with more philosophical meandering beforehand that goes against everything that happened in the series before then

I :filez: mass effect 2 to see if it was good and there was no moon buggy. why did people think it was going to be good after there was no moon buggy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mass effect spoilers look out!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOKWCpwGfM

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

someone just explicitly say what the ending is idgaf about spoilers

Mass effect: human wars 128 people versus 129 people in a massive online battlefield

really I don't know but the game looks too boring to even finish

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

you reenact the Saren event from Mass Effect with The Illusive Man pretty much word for word and you can even make him kill himself just like in Mass Effect. then it turns out the Reaper destroying weapon wont fire and Shepard rides a magical elevator to a section of the Citadel. it turns out the Citadel created the Reapers (synthetic beings) to come along every 50,000 years and kill any civilizations that may create synthetic beings to keep the civilizations from being destroyed by synthetic beings.

yeah

also if you played Mass Effect 2, this makes very little sense since it turns out the Reapers were the ones that started the Geth conflict (the only synthetic beings currently causing problems) and you can actually establish peace with them. to further this, you can establish peace between them and the Quarians. basically you can completely stop the synthetic life form conflicts completely before the ending but the ending goes "lol no" to that and forces you into three choices

choice one is to completely destroy synthetic beings. they all blow up and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has red explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice two is to merge with the reapers. they all leave earth and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has blue explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

choice three is to merge all synthetic life forms together. synthetic and natural life are merged and the mass relays explode. previously it is explained that this happening causes a supernova level explosion that destroys entire solar systems. i guess Bioware forgot? anyway, this ending has redgreen explosions and the normandy crew crash land on a tropical planet and survive

theres another ending where if you really screw up, the earth is destroyed. you have to be monumentally bad at the game for this to happen.

also the choices are presented to you by a holographic child

none of this is ever explained

also shepard dies in all the endings

lol you just used spoilers in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gently caress all ya'll I'm gunna post this. we get dumbass poo poo like game of thrones, and there's boring poo poo like stargate whatever. why can't HBO or somebody pick this poo poo up and make it live action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heESAW2addo

• Locked thread