Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm jacked into YOSPOS, each thread is like a gleaming string of neon pearls inside my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

B5 was the first time on sci-fi TV anyone blew up a whole solar system which was pretty cool for the mid-90s. I think you could do a pretty cool remake with a streamlined plot, maybe 3 seasons. I think at one point they were making filler episodes just to give themselves more rendering time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the defiant look like a dishrag

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should make a troll star trek series where Captain Barclay and Alexander from TNG chase Wesly Crusher and the Traveler around the galaxy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I never watched Voyager but Barclay TNG episodes were all pretty terrible

edit: also the troll series would need extensive Guinan appearances

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Apparently they were running out of cash halfway through production, and it was rushed because of the success of Star Wars,
and there was hope of merchandising. :haw:
see also: the dune coloring and activity book
http://coilhouse.net/2011/03/franchised-goodies-for-the-children-of-dune/

I remember seeing Dune toys in toy stores, they didn't sell very well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

so falling skies is pretty disapointing.

yeah but at least they're incredibly up-front about it being a hamfisted revolutionary war analogy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iamthejeff posted:

i can sit and read for hours, the problem is that i go through alternating phases in my life where i will really enjoy one thing for a short period of time and then move on. it sucks with books because i will get really far into one, then stop reading entirely for a few months and completely forget everything important.

I seriously can't imagine doing this, if I go most of a week without reading I feel bad. Don't worry I read crap so it's not like I'm trying to establish some moral high ground

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

relative_q posted:

bout to start readin iain m. banks - use of weapons

i heard this poo poo is good. is it good?

I like his stuff a lot because a lot of the traditional sci-fi cliches [FTL travel, immortality, AI, teleportation] are just an afterthought and a most of his aliens are really alien. Use of Weapons is kinda heavy but if you like it you'll like the other Culture books.

All my recent favorite sci fi authors are British:
- Iain M. Banks
- Ian Macdonald
- Alastair Reynolds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

also the kids probably drive teh walkers (that swhy they two legs) and they gonna figure out a way to get the harness of noah wileys kid and then use it disguise him to sneak a bomb onto some alien ship or w/e those tower things are.

the fact that this is incredibly obvious after 2 whole episodes does not bode well for the rest of the series

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

any story where smart people have magic powers because they are smart is really lame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

e-books are so dumb right now, despite there being like 50 million copies in print Dune is $14

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my old man gave me his first edition copy of it. definitely owns.

The one that came in the vinyl folder and had the "letters" printed separately? I had one of those but I gave it to a super-trekkie friend of mine when he moved away in high school.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished Angelmass by Timothy Zahn I don't really recommend it. It's one of those "starts off with some really interesting ideas but the ending is a letdown" books.

qirex fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 8, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

wait until you get to the xindi arc

a bunch of alien terrorists use a space laser to blow up florida and we're supposed to identify strongly with this as a 9/11 allegory but no one really cared because who's going to miss florida

"loving finally!"
- the rest of Earth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

A shame you got the scrub cover.

pro cover:

:dominic:
I have that on my bookshelf right now

Pro Burning Chrome cover:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been buying a lot of stuff from the '70s and '80s and I think people forget that you could write an entire novel in 250 pages. AND it didn't need to be volume 1 of a 14-part series.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

coaxmetal posted:

Anyone else like Tad Williams Otherland series? I enjoyed them but they were very slow. That's kind of his thing though, if the other series of his I have read (and enjoyed), Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is any indication.
I don't remember all the details but I remember loving the first book, being like "this is OK" for the second one and being super mad for like the last half of book 3 and all of book 4 but finishing it because "hell, I've already read most of it"

I read the first two Shadowmarch books and they were interesting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nobody like really truly takes music like this this seriously, right? Like even the guys in the band are all "yeah, this is a joke but it's easy money"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Started Singularity Sky last night, never read any Stross before because he seemed really goony but it was like $2 used so I figured I'd check it out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

Worst final episode: Lost or Battlestar Galactica?
lost by a million miles but BSG "ended" for me when they found out who the last 4 cylons were, the whole last season was just going through the motions

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I didn't really buy the "all movies now are blue and orange" thing until I saw a preview for Cowboys vs. Aliens and everything in it was literally orange or blue

also it looks like an awful movie

the only good use of color keying ever was O Brother Where Art Thou

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey guys here's an idea instead of going to the theater and watching a movie you know is going to be lovely and will have forgotten 30 minutes after you've seen it you instead watch a good movie and enjoy it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amethyst posted:

no, I'm objecting to there being literally nothing else discernible about the movie except it's new-age marketing.

What new-age marketing? All I've seen are trailers and those new things where they put the logo of the movie on the screen during an entirely different movie.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Hamilton [and a lot of other authors] is really big on people preserving cultural identity after they move to a new planet, like People from India colonize a new world and somehow it's 100% planetwide straight-up monoculture. Seems kinda lazy to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

space mining/colonization in general doesn't really make much sense I mean what are we going to do with an extra 8 trillion tons of iron

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no my point is that for space mining to be even remotely profitable without magic free energy you'd need to bring back so much raw material that you'd crash the market for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

but if we have free energy we can just recycle everything like most of the stuff humans need are organic compounds not dense metals

"welp we got nothing to eat but GODDAMN WE'RE SWIMMING IN CADMIUM I mean look at all this fuckin cadmium we're rich"

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 28, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

i think the implication in most sci-fi is that there are materials you cant get on earth and those are the ones you bound across the galaxy looking for

are any of those materials real elements and not mystery sci-fi voodoo unobtanium? [gently caress you James Cameron] because there's people talking about asteroid mining right now and I'm like :psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I could maybe see harvesting hydrogen/helium from gas giants but not mining metals from planets or asteroids

edit: my avatar has hit some sort of crazy quantum state thanks to GBS mod Toby

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 28, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

why not? if you make spaceships, and you need more space ships, you need more metals

it would be cheaper to build the ships where the materials are, no?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

that is wise
truth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm tempted to try Nanowrimo this year, I had an idea about a post-privacy society that would make a great terrible half-finished novel written for word count

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

They were going to do it space hard.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you guys ain't sci fi postin :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8W6ID8jk4A

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bedshaped posted:

i usually do a bit of research (talking w/ friends, internet) before i buy a book but i just bought this from the cover alone:

i'm only 50 pages in. anyone read?

That's the gas giant one, right? I liked it.

edit: I'm not really a fantasy guy but like 5 people have recommended Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, worth a look?

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 20, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

revelation space is pretty cool

I liked the side stories better like Chasm City and The Prefect, the story of Sky was cool but the main plot ends with a giant interdimensional deus ex machina

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like community as a show but holy poo poo don't read anything about it on the internet it's like people with OCD who are all exacerbated by the fact that the show's creator and a couple of the actors are on Twitter constantly

it's like a legit "fandom" and it frightens me, seriously read a couple random pages of the TV/IV thread and try not to make this face :stare:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also 99% of people who "love" community on the internet have to have every single joke explained to them in detail it's like how can you like clever writing if you're too dumb to understand it :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

super pissed that onion sportsdome and sports show w norm got shitcanned

I didn't like the norm show but sportsdome was legit funny
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video/kevin-durant-doomed-to-walk-the-earth-in-unending,19091/

• Locked thread