Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gonna buy that book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

I wanna get paid for liking things or not like that chick in p recognition, that'd be a p sweet gig

the brand allergy thing was a hella sweet character gimmick like she had to pay a guy to grind the words off the rivets in her jeans

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 22, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like robots and space lasers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that awful man posted:

obi-wan cuts off xenu's arms and legs and leaves him for dead but he survives
no elron came up with that cover after a painful gonorrhea experience

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

nooooooooooooo don't start another loving gender politics debate i've had enough of that in literally every other subforum
when I was in college there was a sci-fi lit course so tons of people took it but like half the class was spent doing analysis of the professor's terrible novel about a planet with 7 genders and 11 sexes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books are good cheesy ancient sci fi it's all "we're harnessing the power of seven kinds of RAYS :science:" and sword fighting four-armed dudes and it's hella racist but it's martian racism so you don't have to feel bad and if you get the right versions they have :krad: cover art

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

syfy tried to do a miniseries of the first couple Barsoom books and it was like hellabad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

i honestly do not understand how you could gently caress up the barsoom series, but, well, i'm sure syfy found a way

they made it look like "Mars" by basically going to the desert near LA then putting an orange color key over everything and using some poo poo that looked like leftover LotR ork costumes

it really should be the easiest thing to do, even the green dudes. there's this coming but it will definitely suck [but this is pretty funny]:

Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas, a Barsoomian warrior and ally of John Carter[15]
Thomas Haden Church as Tal Hajus, a vicious Thark warrior[16]

edit: jesus this has had a development nightmare journey

quote:

Producer James Jacks was reading Harry Knowles' autobiography, which lavished praise on the unfilmed John Carter of Mars series, and Jacks remembered he had read those novels as a child. He convinced Paramount Pictures to acquire the film rights, only to enter a bidding war with Columbia Pictures. After Paramount and Jacks won the rights, Jacks contacted Knowles to advise on the project and hired Mark Protosevich to write the script. In 2003, Robert Rodriguez signed on to direct after his friend Knowles gave him the script. Recognizing Knowles had always been an advisor to many filmmakers, Rodriguez asked him to officially be credited as a producer.[24]

Filming was set to begin in 2005, with Rodriguez planning to use the digital sets he was using on Sin City.[24] Rodriguez planned to have Frank Frazetta, a popular John Carter illustrator, serve as a designer on the film.[25] However, Rodriguez had created controversy over his decision to credit Frank Miller as co-director on the film adaptation of his comics, and chose to leave the Directors Guild of America. Unable to hire a non-DGA filmmaker, Paramount assigned Kerry Conran to direct and Ehren Kruger to rewrite the script in October 2004. The Australian Outback was scouted as a location. Conran left the film for unknown reasons, and was replaced by Jon Favreau in October 2005.[24]
If you want Harry Knowles' advice on anything but how to be a fat spergo neckbeard you've made a bad decision

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 26, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hahaha they filmed it at the Kirk rock and Traci Lords is Dejah Thoris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnsuVpG_OZQ

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm reading Scott Westerfeld's "Risen Empire" books again it's got some cool ideas but it really should have been one book [thanks Borders Bucks!] and the author is way more successful writing young adult steampunk fiction so I guess that's it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amethyst posted:

how many of you people actually slogged through 6+ KJA dune books?!

I gave up on that poo poo halfway through House Atreides

I read the KJA "saga of seven suns" books, dude is a master of characters who have exactly one personality trait that governs their every reaction to everything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if any of you saw the "remastered" Red Dwarf you can understand why I'm nervous

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

falling skies was dumb as hell and I made it like 2 episodes into V, I'm not even going to bother with terra nova

sci fi TV will never be good again, sorry folks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flowchart includes Stephen King and Gregory Maguire :dawkins101:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sci fi update: ordered a bunch of poo poo from amazon, got House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, Accelerando by Stross and Evolutionary Void finally came out in paperback

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My expectations for the last Void book are pretty low, I didn't like most of the directions he was going in at the end of the second one

amazon marketplace sellers have a funny idea of what "Good" condition is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what the hell mirror universe copies have to have goatees

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was at a museum where they had the quarantine box they kept the Apollo guys in in case they brought back MOON AIDS it was basically a double-wide mobile home with a ping pong table

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hamboning posted:

that's the space and rocket center in huntsville i think? pretty cool place

yeah I went to space camp

space camp sucks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I met one of the ex-nazis when I was there

I didn't realize who he was until I was watching a History Channel special like 10 years later and was like :aaaaa:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

why does everyone think this

srsly, name me one other mirror universe person besides Spock who had a goatee, how the gently caress did that become the defining characteristic
Garthe Knight

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The difference engine blows, read the Sprawl Trilogy instead

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Finished the Evolutionary Void last night, the ending was kind of lame but the series was overall a decent read.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nerd alert:
http://lalabitmarket.channel.or.jp/feature/akira-kaneda-jacket/

Funny it comes in a 3l [XXL] size, I think they know fat Americans are going to buy half of them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll never understand why some people think Joss Whedon is a feminist because all he does is create "strong" female characters and then casts anorexics to play them and has tons of horrible things happen to them rendering their strength irrelevant

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a big stack of books from Amazon sellers and now I have like 2 months of reading all locked up feels good man

although I accidentally got 2 House of Suns oops

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm about 1/3 of the way into House of Suns and I'm not really sure if I'm digging the story yet but I do admire Reynolds' fleshing out of what a galactic society without FTL would be like

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

toby posted:

just put the movie cast in the tv series, have it continue from there, take away jj abrams's lens flares, make a pile of cash money

also: steadicams

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It should be a cooking show called "On the Q" starring John de Lancie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

no bajorans, cardassians or motherfucking ferengi tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

Admiral Barclay's War Against The Githyanki
this but make it a How I met Your Mother-style sitcom following Barclay's dating misaventures on Starbase 219

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

brawny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

people mostly like reynolds, right? i sure do

I like his stand-alone novels better than the main Revelation Space plot but overall he's pretty pro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chasm City and The Prefect are really good though

And the whole Sky story in the series is rad but the end part with the deus ex machina alternate universe out of loving nowhere is lame as hell

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

oh don't get me wrong, i like all of his stuff. i'm just talking about my favorites. actually house of suns is my favorite of his

I'm reading that right now :respek:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I made it through the pilot of SGU and then went "nope, not gonna happen." And I managed to watch all of Caprica.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Finished House of Suns, gonna read the first Black Company book next

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

should have named her Molybdenum Argon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't believe they crippled Ray :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex