Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Ender books [especially the Shadow ones] rely almost exclusively on what I call "magic smart powers" which is when they establish that a character is brilliant and once that happens they can do impossible things and people can't stop them because they're smart

this is frequently combined with "hacking" in TV and movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Saint Darwin posted:

the problem with travel that gets anywhere near the speed of light is that if you crash into say a planet, you basically blow up the planet due to the amount of energy released

relativistic speeds at any size mass are the ultimate weapon.

I have vague memories of some book where they basically just used sand and small dumb projectiles to fight at relativistic velocities and I think there was a treaty against dropping stuff on planets because it was too easy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished REAMDE and god drat why isn't that book like 500 pages shorter I mean it wasn't bad but it was not really worth the time to read it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when he's sperging out on nerd poo poo is often when he's at his best, the whole dwarf fortress/wow MMO parts were some of the most entertaining bits of the book compared to him describing the motivations of islamic terrorists who are about on the level of sophistication as the ones in team america

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watched star trak last night, the problems with it are obvious but it was overall entertaining the one thing I don't get is that it seems like starfleet is simultaneously a giant organization and also there's like 5 guys who run everything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Watched Wrath of Kahn and Space Seed last night

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not scifi but the entire UK House of Cards series is 12 episodes and a single season of the new one is 13 and at the end of s1 kevin spacey hasn't thrown the chick off a building yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

even Tolkein for as wordy as he was only managed ~475,000 words in the entire LOTR trilogy. a whole epic adventure in less than half a million words.

meanwhile robert jordan spent 3.3 million words telling a story that then took brandon sanderson nearly another million words to wrap up

ggrrrm has already popped 1.7 million and shows no signs of relenting, he will probably just keep cranking out asoiaf until he keels over

also sci fi is starting to succumb to it as well, loving peter hamilton just shits gigantic volumes. one of his books was like 480K+ words long. totally out of control

has he ever not written giant long stuff though? The pandora star and void stuff was still shorter than night's dawn [which is not really worth reading IMO]

axolotl farmer posted:

Neal R.R. Stephenson wrote the goddamn Manhattan phonebook that is the Baroque cycle with a loving quill
The Baroque Cycle is the best thing he's written though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Moist von Lipwig posted:

has there ever been good tv sci-fi? black mirror?

max headroom

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH6AJC2sOY8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey I ain't read this thread for like 3 months but I gotta tell y'all that Snowpiercer is a good and non-shameful comic book

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of terrible sci fi series by fantasy authors I read some godawful thing by stephen r donaldson a long time ago it was like a lovely mind control rape fanfic in space

fake e: the gap series

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I read thomas covenant when I was a kid but it was way too grimdark and I don't remember much other than an overall impression of gross stuff

the gap series was at a used bookstore for $6 for the whole set so I just said gently caress it and bought them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I didn't really identify with ender, especially in the later books because card is one of those writers who decided that smart people have Magic Smart Powers and so they are invincible, particularly in shadow of the hegemon where the battle school kids come back to earth and are immediately installed at generals of various armies

it's the same as Magic Hacking Powers in anything with computers in it, just a lazy plot device

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

xenocide put me off of Card for an entire decade, I didn't pick up any of the other books until I was commuting 2 hours each way and reading 5 books a week

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a lot of other poo poo has magic smart powers though, doctor who springs to mind since that's his entire character

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

current scifi status: "galaxy of terror" kind of oversold itself in the title, they should have just called it "spooky planet"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

except for teddy bear junction, that place is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

I read hamilton because I was going on a 20 hour flight and I just picked the fattest book on the shelf. Then I picked up the other one for the way back.

that's how I ended up grabbing name of the wind

• Locked thread