Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

plz explain

i thought he was just a face sticking out of a giant wormbody

he considers having one made because everyone asks if he has one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol. how does it have a game of the year edition when it was one of maybe here games steam gave refunds for because it was so lovely?

Worst Game of the Year?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

the worst thing to happen to FPS

sniper rifles are pretty dumb

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

i agree, i went to a screening that played shaun and hot fuzz before premiering world's end and was a lil disappointed

got a t shirt, v drunk, and the chance to see all of them on a fuckoff big screen tho

also this blu ray has three commentary tracks, one with quentin tarantino :pwn:

is at least one of them commentary on the commentary

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

ths is literally the only reason i want to play the halo games. i ahve only played the first one.

the halo games always had a cool aesthetic to them, nifty worlds and the like

up until the new stuff they're throwing out there, now it's all not interesting giant sparse structures made of flat metal

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

stalker is the only movie I have ever fallen asleep during

catatonic after all that art hitting you right in the face hole

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why would anyone who reads books not have read this holy poo poo

seriously, that was something i read for high school english class

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i never read the other translation but i'm pretty psyched now gonna start tomorrow

roadside picnic owns

when you finish it make sure to watch stalker

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i had a dream that i was working in a ship breaking operation in the legrangian point behind a brown dwarf orbiting a black hole in the space between galactic spiral arms just slowly taking apart millions of massive space hulks that had either drifted in there or purposely left there to be broken over thousands of years. it was cool as hell, has anyone written a story like that?

isnt that sort of the plot of the new homeworld game their making? at leas set on a desert planet instead of space

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

lots of actors including cruise die in their movies but how many of them die over and over and over again in the same movie

I couldn't google up a count but apparently in the book 160 days are explicitly portrayed, and like the movie there are an unknown number of offscreen deaths that is effectively unbounded just like groundhog day

havent the writers said that groundhog day was like hundreds of years or something?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

so I made the mistake of reading amazon reviews of a book I loved while I was ordering a copy for a friend:

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a serious novel about Roleplaying games & gamers

ffffffffuck youuuuu you fedora'd fagotron it's a metaphor. also some other gaiman-quoting nerdlord complained that the book wasn't a LP of the game the narrator created.

gamers are dumb and have ruined LP as an acronym

It's Long Play not lets play

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

syscall girl posted:

i want that boat

now watch the postman (or read it i guess)

read it its actually good

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

syscall girl posted:

i'm biased because i live where most of the outdoor scenes (and it's an outdoor movie) were shot but i would still say that it is late-costner egocraptastical

as mentioned previously i like some of brin's stuff but i haven't read the postman yet

do it its real good

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

matter isn't the best culture book but it's still good. the fun's in the journey and not the destination

are you reading them in order? because surface detail is fantastic imo

surface detail was the second culture book i read

much better than player of games

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

why would a dialating door be better than a sliding or hinged door. it seems needlessly complex, even in the future.

you obviously dont have what it takes to be a spaceman

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

is that about turing?

yes

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

finish dune the novel or the series? is the series even possible to finish?

i think i made it 20 pages into heretics before giving up

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

hubris.height posted:

god emperor is a very good and logical ending point. heretics and the other one... the one i forget the name of, were setting up for another "final book" and its best just not to get stuck in the desire for conlusion

also its just more duncan idaho circle jerking after god emp

chapterhouse

dont read anything past god emperor if you really want to read more

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

just the novel. people earlier in the thread were saying only read the first one

do that, the rest arent worth it

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Granbar posted:

no idea. was the first one written, so i figure'd i'd start with that. also it looks like it's the first one in the timeline, or something, but don't quote me on that.

read them in who the hell cares order

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

finished roadside picnic, it was p good. decided to reread neuromancer because it's been a while

now watch stalker

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the giver was 20 years ahead of the market

YA fiction has always existed, now it just gets turned into movies faster

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

we do, and it is!

our skills complement each other nicely. she is a much better and more careful scholar than i, but i have a lot more crazy ideas and am good at mangling and analyzing data. the basic dynamic is that i'm always the one going "LET'S DO THIS NOW WHEEEE" and she's the one going "yeah that's awesome but let's do it right".

99% of yospos knows who i am anyway. the relevant part of the title is "life in the unthinking depths", it's about the fact that deep sea marine fish have tiny-rear end brains. and now i've told you the main result so shhhhhhh for the next six months about it

gonna publish a paper before you now with YOSPOS BITHC as the sole citation

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Crusader posted:

took a stab at it

i love this style of cover art

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Granbar posted:

more great superhero poo poo coming to tv

i like the 90s cyber hacker villains

you can tell they're the bad guys because theyre in the orange bit

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

the trailer tells you it is

Don't watch trailers

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

For a while you could buy the hitchhikers guide books separately at like $6 each or the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which was the 5 books all together for $14

I think they might have fixed the prices to make sense by now

The later books are pretty much worthless so it wasn't that far off

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Al! posted:

cd is trash

MUCH LIKE YOU'RE POSTS

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and they amplify that beacon by killing a shitload more psychics erry day

the orks just used a pencil

Orcs being dumb enough to change reality is the only nifty thing in 40k

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

water aliens can't have fire or electricity so they have to get uplifted by other aliens

Sci Fi needs more psychic hyper dolphins

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

FMguru posted:

he said GOOD jizz

Text me

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

could the culture have existed without original trek? i think of it as what if the federation had a thousand years with a (trigger warning) singularity leading to the benevolent principles of the federation being administered by unfathomably powerful AIs

perhaps the culture is well-respected itt becuase there's not hundreds of hours of cheaply-produced tv of it

just wait until a big name director makes a movie out of it

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

um, Godzilla films fall into the tokusatsu genre. they aren't anime even a little. Wow I bet you even call super sentai media "anime". *snorting laughter leads into coughing fit*

No one cares about your fantasy football team

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

man, i always think i've gotten used to how bad scientists are at making presentations, and every time i'm surprised all over again

man, i always think i've gotten used to how bad you are at posting, and every time i'm surprised all over again

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The guy that lets them land is named Land-o

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

stalker is the only movie I've ever fallen asleep in

Roadside picnic is great and so is all the crazy eastern European stuff based off it

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

GSV someone remind me what GSV/GCU/ROU stand for again

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Comics are American anime

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

comics are regularly turned into mega blockbuster movies and are super mainstream now sorry

Comic book movies are double anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

macross plus is fuckin dope

is that that vaporwave thing

• Locked thread