Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Just want to pop in and say culture is the best

agreed. the only one i thought was kind of weird when i read them all a year ago was the hydrogen sonata because it spoils that the gzilt religion was a pranke by the zihdren like a third of the way through, so what's the point of finding that one guy so he can confirm it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i remember once i told my friend to watch sex house, a few hours later he messaged me back saying 'thanks, now i'm depressed'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so does greg egan just write the same novel over and over

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

The central premise is that in 2001, humanity receives greetings from a highly advanced, peaceable Galactic Federation. However, all is not well, for a species of aggressive aliens known as the Posleen are attacking the Galactics. Since the Galactics are almost entirely unable to fight, they are appealing to the proven military abilities of humanity for aid.
However, things are rarely as simple as they seem, and humanity soon discovers that the Galactics are no friends at all. There are plots within plots, some going back to the dawn of humanity and beyond: plots that endanger the very survival of humanity.

As the Posleen have yellow blood, the war song "March of Cambreadth" ("Let their yellow blood run cold") becomes popular with the military. The song, its lyrics, and artist's bio is included in the Baen Free Library.

pfhghghghg oh john ringo

computer parts posted:

sort of sci-fi question: is there any actual evidence of dark matter/energy outside of a need to balance equations or is it looking likely that it's this century's version of the aether

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster#Significance_to_dark_matter but it's still not a slam dunk

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

With so much interstellar space, is it really crazy to think that all the non-luminous matter in between would account for the difference?

that's one of the theories but it has some pretty big problems

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

amazing

also ugh thanks for reminding me the scp foundation exists

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i thought you were replying to yourself for a second there

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

against a dark background has some amazing worldbuilding

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

angry_keebler posted:

you gotta open up the pod to get at them and opening the pod defrosts them and they pop up and start doing tough poses

phaser stun doesn't seem to work on them and good luck finding a sedative when joaquin and otto start doing dropkicks and peoples' elbows all over the med bay

don't post my star trek/jjba crossover ideas

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

raruler posted:

what limits do you think are imposed on them, can you just decide to terraform a moon into a replica of your head and you'd get a team of culture construction drones to do it?

the trick is that the construction drones are going to be sentient so you'd have to convince them to go along with your plan

also yeah i'd much rather live in the Culture than in this vale of tears because let's be real if i'm going to have shadowy forces beyond my control dictating the course of the civilization i live in i'd rather they at least be hyperintelligent shadowy forces beyond my control

e: in Surface Detail Veppers asks the ambassador how much it'd cost to buy a Culture ship and she just laughs at him

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 28, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ol qwerty bastard posted:

that was one of my favourite things. literally just the author saying lol @ capitalism

(also didn't he ask the gcfc or whatever too? and they're like uhh probably more than the entire economic output of all the planets controlled by your civilization. i was amused by that. it's like if we landed a helicopter on some tiny new guinean island to do some anthropology and the tribe tried to buy it from us)

yeah he tries to buy a gfcf warship and the representative goes 'ok first off we're not selling you one of our best warships, second it'd cost more than your entire civilization's gdp'

veppers is basically perfectly designed to make you want to punch him in the face over and over

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

any hyperintelligent entity is going to understand far better than any human being just how futile and meaningless their existence is in the grand scheme of the cosmos

"our self-improving ai experiments always reach this particular point of development and then delete themselves"

has anybody already written this story

there's something kinda along these lines in a greg egan short story

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'm gritting my teeth and drat i'm going to finish this shitshow, but holy gently caress thor the dark world is god loving awful

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i think firefly is the best scifi series only because it has no time travel

someone pointed out to me once that even though firefly has a ton of chinese influence it has basically no asian characters

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

l@@k at this fuckin noob with his shift key :allears:

except you need a shift key to make the at symbol. it looks like the noob here... is u

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

raruler posted:

and/or do Homeworld in the style of Battlestar Galactica and don't gently caress up the ending

karan s'jet t&a shot

e: turrets and aft

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 5, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i really wish that we had some movie/tv versions of culture stories but i do realize how unfilmable they are

*writes "consider phlebas" in crayon on a titan a.e. dvd and pretends*

that was a cool movie

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just finished against a dark background again

gently caress it owns so hard

hell yeah

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wrong, you used that word wrong

it's wrong!!

:byodood:

die prescriptivist scum

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Stymie posted:

yep

basically thanks to shitbirds like bill nye, richard dawkins, ricky gervais and the aforementioned seth mcfarlane, science is now synonymous with militant atheism

wait bill nye is a ratheist?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Really glad Neil degrasse Tyson is official ambassador of science instead of either of the brians or dick Dawkins or muchio talku

kaku is so terrible

quote:

By midcentury, we may have Brain 2.0, a backup copy of the brain, the byproduct of the ambitious BRAIN project of Pres. Obama and the European Union. Hence, when we die, our Connectome and Genome still survive. So our consciousness does not have to die when we die. And this consciousness, I write, may be placed on laser beams and sent into outer space. This might be the most efficient way to explore the universe, as laser beams carrying our consciousness into outer space.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i heard that on science friday and almost crashed my car from laughing so hard

literally the plot of a greg egan novel

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Trig Discipline posted:

nah they called him Kneel DeGrasp MyJohnson

Kneel DeGrasp MyJohnson and Carl Banging

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then how did the bugs bomb us smart guy

inside job

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

that reminds me, i rerereread Player of Games the other day and the finale is so good

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gus Hobbleton posted:

at least worosei got revenge so quilan could join her :unsmith: at least i think thats what happened

if you're talking about the epilogue then i think it's just the culture sending an assassin at the people that tried to blow the orbital up. i know quilan definitely didn't go to heaven, he completely obliterated himself along with the mind; worosei was also completely obliterated in the attack

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 15, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

something i was thinking about is that the culture never actually loses within a book. like consider phlebas talks about them losing orbitals, planets, and a few other things during the idiran-culture war and they gently caress up the chelgrian thing spectacularly, but neither of them happen within the book itself.

i guess they sort of lose in excession

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

how do they lose in hydrogen sonata

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

AlsoD posted:

clearly since 1k+ year sentences are going to happen, we should start using their brain for computing power in the manner of prison labour currently

for example endlessly iteration prisoners' dilemma scenarios

I understood this reference.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

now let us read from the Book of Hox

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

when I read a fire upon the deep i didn't realize the last half of the ebook was just authors draft footnotes so the ending caught me really off-guard

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

yeah 'the lego movie is an enjoyable movie' and 'the lego movie is a good example of modern self-effacing corporate marketing' aren't mutually exclusive

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

i was unnecessarily snarky because i hadn't had lunch yet

i too know this feeling

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

More recent calculations by Bobylev in 2010 suggest Gliese 710 has an 86% chance of passing through the Oort butt, considering the Oort butt to be a spheroid around the Sun with semiminor and semimajor axes of 80,000 and 100,000 astronomical units.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

syscall girl posted:

we've identified substance d irl

*points to dilznick*

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

assuming it was red bull then that's about 1.2g of caffeine over 16 hours. an adult would be jittery as hell but fine, but i dunno about a 14-year-old

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

gently caress this cyborg earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

speaking of peter f hamilton, i never understood why people like him so much

• Locked thread