Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cya later sithlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

personally i don't care and i'm willing to look the other way because i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy so i'm satisfied. on the flip side, when i am hungry from some slightly more realistic and imaginative sci-fi there's lots of modern stuff that takes these limitations into account.

I like the big ships flyin' around the solar system in "Saturn's Children" but the cover is loving reprehensible so get it on Kindle.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

btw anyone who is a lovecraft fan should really read stross' The Library series. new one comes out soon

July of next year.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

all out of cum, pls send help

*sends a pack of celery via kozmo.com*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It seems really cheap but still lots of fun - the ep where Mike was playing 'el diablo' was especially :cool:... Been a while since anyone wheeled out the 'A-Team' trope* and did something fun with it. Always good to see Bruce Campbell getting work as well.

*ugh

It's filmed in my neighborhood so that's cool.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sneaking Mission posted:

*beams up a shitload of weed*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

breaking bad owns but I should probably stay out of this thread now because I only just finished season 3

The best part is when Saul buys a Jesse piñata and gets in a swordfight with the sheriff.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I was at a museum where they had the quarantine box they kept the Apollo guys in in case they brought back MOON AIDS it was basically a double-wide mobile home with a ping pong table

The van they used to take the astronauts to the rocket is pretty mundane as far as vans from the '60s go.

The Astronaut Van by Bernt Rostad, on Flickr

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LooseChanj posted:

why does everyone think this

srsly, name me one other mirror universe person besides Spock who had a goatee, how the gently caress did that become the defining characteristic

also, I sat at the controls of a space shuttle once :smug:

Mirror universe Eric Cartman.

The space shuttle simulator at Space Camp was fun, but not as fun as my friend's work's C-130 sim.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

i got to go in some irl astronaut training centrifuge and that was cool. they wouldnt let us go over 3g tho

They had one of those at the Astronaut Hall of Fame, which was basically the same building as Space Camp.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

inigo monz0rya posted:

2001 the book is a piece of poo poo

2001 the movie is flawless and timeless, 2001 the book is… less so.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

likewise

a lot of people say that part is really boring, but that's exactly what makes it so great, it perfectly gets the point across that space flight is a mundane, totally ordinary thing.

It's also beautifully shot and presented.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

golgo13sf posted:

R2Dz0r

C-3z0

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

The difference engine blows, read the Sprawl Trilogy instead

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

the i robot movie wasnt that bad. they managed to make a decent action flick while adhering to the laws (even if the 0th law isnt supposed to reaaally work like that). alan tudyk was good. will smiff was will smiff. idk if you could really ask for more.

shaggar was right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HYMEN.SYS posted:

dont watch any more warehouse 13, it is total poo poo

I even got that vibe from the first episode, too sit-com-y or something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toby posted:

just put the movie cast in the tv series, have it continue from there, take away jj abrams's lens flares, make a pile of cash money

not once you see how much harold, shaun, and skylar get paid

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

law abiding rapist posted:

obligatory

sux that "Boldly Going Nowhere" probably isn't getting made

http://www.sorozatguru.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/script_boldly_going_nowhere_1x01_-_pilot-1.pdf

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Beam pianos and anvils above the enemy captain's chair.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Data creates bees in the holodeck and they escape. Riker's trombone is damaged in a turbolift accident.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux posted:

hey.

where do the replicators get the raw matter from?

toilets, trash cans, orphans of redshirts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux posted:

hmm.

so the takeaway here is that you can't just cram a body into the other end of the replicator and call it a day.

just cram it into the teleporters and break them like in that one episode where scotty gets trapped in one

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NINbuntu 64 posted:

this sounds like some 13 year old girls fanfiction

"extended universe" poo poo is always just fan fiction with a price tag

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NINbuntu 64 posted:

yeah but dont they accept it as "canon" or something

canon is overrated

i like to think of star treks (and law and orders) as just being stand-alone stories that have the same characters from episode to episode so you don't have to re-develop them each time

if there's something contradictory, i can deal with it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

how would that even

in the future when everything is free (a necessary precondition for all doctorow's dumb ideas), nobody will be able to charge admission to disney world, so people will just be allowed in to fix things and make new exhibits because doctorow is a disney fanboy (but not former forum user Disney Fanboy)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dear RMS posted:

Ugh, I read this. In my defense, it was free.

(my time is worthless) :negative:

Yeah one time I had no work at work and read like every free poo poo I could find on boing boing.

I read "Ventus" by Karl Schroeder during that time which I've re-read once and it kind of ruled the second time too.

Also all the Doctorow books :mad:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahhh spiders posted:

i still cant believe a single sperglord wrote almost all of b5

Adam Reed does everything on Archer except for animation and non-Ray voices, and The Venture Brothers is written by two guys.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toby posted:

ain't no detriment foo

man i fuckin love venture bros and i will cry baby tears when it is eventually done/cancelled/whatever

I hope it has a tasteful and dignified ending and doesn't drag on forever like every other show it#. "Operation P.R.O.M." would have been just fine as a last episode IMO; the ending scene with Pulp's "Like a Friend" feels like it was written to be that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

the ones where they just take the characters and let them play off each other and joke around are funny and rewatchable. not ever show premise has to be totally deconstructed and it's ok, especially in comedy, to just declare things to be true solely because they contribute to humor

full disclosure: my favorite episode by far is house of mummies part 2

This is also why "The Gang Gets Trapped" is better than "Frank's Brother."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

nah these are the ones where aliens periodically scour the galaxy to exterminate sentient life, and the protagonist from a high tech civilization is forced to build a tall ship and conduct naval battles

is it a mass effect novelization

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

aliens (often machines) scouring the galaxy of all life was an established trope before mass effect

yeah but before mass effect games forum posters didn't convert thousands of dollars into stupid emoticons and avatars

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NINbuntu 64 posted:

because i have an unhealthy obsession with the decline of eddie murphy's career

I'd hardly call quality falling off a cliff a "decline"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

for those of you who were curious like me, there are no less than eleven mass effect emoticons

and a shitload of really creepy avatars about female characters

and to think i just thought it was a game about blasting robots and aliens

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

Ulfwife wants to know what this is, she's read all the honor harrington books but that doesn't sound like it. She's a glutton for trashy sci-fi. Also she says hi.

It's not Berserkers, that's Saberhagen.

Tell her I said hi and I haven't checked WWF yet today.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

Now I'm reading a Larry Niven novel where a colony runs into problems because it's lacking an essential element.

If it's cabrón, they can get it from a Mexican colony ahahahahahaha

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

golgo13sf posted:

Man, it still is. It might be a little outdated, but it is still loving bad-rear end.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
It's like a novelization of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWX4GUYGQXQ

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bedshaped posted:

terminator 4 was where i realised christian bale might not be so much about going for great roles/acting pieces than he is about the money

he lost a lot of class for me that day since i'd been in love with him from equilibrium, batman & psycho :smith:

christian bale is number one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAyiV9cEjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAyiV9cEjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I re-read Ventus this weekend, and I enjoyed it again. It does a good job blending medieval fantasy/politics poo poo with sci-fi concepts like nanotech and murderous computers.

• Locked thread