Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
watched this last night while playing some pideo shames

i thought it was p good, the only true snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

angry_keebler posted:

if intelligent life forms when planetary conditions are right then even with very conservative estimates there should be a few hundred evenly distributed earths with civilizations with a 1-10 million year advantage on us and that's just too long

on a galactic scale this is not a long time and there's too many millions of possible destinations. you have to remember if there were some civs with a year advantage, there's a good chance a few wiped themselves out. speaking galactically we're on the very rim, if there are civs closer to the center, or halfway between close to the center and us there's very little motivation to go this far out when the interior is more packed

just theory crafting soz

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

escape from la is a poo poo escape from new york

i love e f ny and have seen it a bunch but never seen la, was p excited when it was on netflix last night. i enjoyed it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

me @ ur postin

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's bruce campbell btw

wow no poo poo. wow.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i never really understood why we just decided there was no intelligence in dinosaurs or anything or semi-intelligent species. there's a couple million years between them dying out and us taking over and some of that poo poo is human's drunken pre-history

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

a combination of how their brains were so goddamn small they probably couldnt have the capacity and the fact that intelligence denotes the ability to change the environment yet theres no evidence

fair nuff

i just always thought it might be cool, but when you think that in a way the reptilian brain is like the tiny acorn at the center of all other brains it kind of makes sense

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

syscall girl posted:

i would post that scene in repo men but i don't like using the word 'fag' as a pejorative

if there was a similar scene about ronald reagan i'd post that, political correctness be damned

let me do it for you, he was a fag

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i always wanted to watch metropolis because i love sci fi and it always gets a lot of love and the art i've seen is cool but its so god damned boring at the start, and because there's no speech i can't play games or something while i watch it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i remember getting past this part at some point, to the part with a guy moving a clock around and i got up, threw my beer away and closed netflix and uttered 'gently caress this' i dunno what it is but the clock pusher made me angry

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

waiting for the metropolis reboot by michael bay

would

make fun of this on the internet

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Amethyst posted:

in childhood's end human inferiority is the main theme

this is probably the best sci fi book ever written as well

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

owns

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Al! posted:

ghost of carl sagan

this is for real this time mods

i need this

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

archer is so god drat good. whens the next dvd release?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
http://www.amazon.com/Archer-The-Complete-Season-Four/dp/B00BTRKMNI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374529342&sr=8-5&keywords=archer+season

to be announced :(

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i missed most of season 4 kinda mad that it and wilfred aren't on on demand so i can catch up. not on hulu or anyshit either, and netflix don't have wilfred s2

but enjoy, archer is a really fun show to just watch and enjoy. its p cool that they got a lot of the cast of arrested development together for it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
when do we get another netflix season of AD btw?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Crasscrab posted:

pretty sure the next thing is going to be a movie

even better

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

qntm posted:

there's no such thing as liking something ironically

doing it with ur postin rite now

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lord funk posted:

did someone say dune because then i have to watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

yessssssss

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i was gonna watch twin peaks because of deadly premonition but 90s tv shows jesus

the fbi agent is the only redeeming part so far

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
mind acquires speed voice made me lol at my desk please laugh warning these things

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sudo Echo posted:

have you ever seen a David Lynch film besides Dune?

checked imdb and recognized names but have not seen any of them

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MindSet posted:

Enjoyed the books though, stopped at god emperor like everyone recommends.

go read the last ones they're good in their own right still

just don't read his sons novels in the universe they are terrible

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

do not read brian herbert, read only authentic frank herbert

for emphasis i think this is even true of the non-dune universe stuff

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ol qwerty bastard posted:

we should make a big list of yospos-approved sci-fi authors

-Isaac Asimov (same)
-

the foundation series is awesome if someone hasn't read it yet. plus the first two books were written before computers were really a thing so its kind of jarring to read a description of the future where computers don't do all the heavy lifting. in the third book onwards he corrects this by implementing them into the setting and i have to admit it loses some of its charm.

this is also true of dune except they never incorporate computers until the last book

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
baxter's manifold space is really good, i guess its part of a series but i never read the other ones

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
hahaha holy poo poo stymie you got owned

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Werthog 95 posted:

don't parrot tired catchphrases

check your catchphrase privlege

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

LP97S posted:

Curiosity has been on Mars for a year now :toot:.

god drat. this is what we should be focusing money and time into. as a kid i was sure by the time i was 50 we'd have landed on mars, now i'm not so sure because we don't even say hi to the moon anymore aalso

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

sorry for your loss, and on your birthday too

and he was never heard from again

i wanna see that new simon pegg movie. other than run fatboy run (which was ok) i really enjoyed all his poo poo

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

hot fuzz is the best of their cornetto trilogy thing

agreed and i think its because they spend so much of the movie building it up before everything goes bonkers, kind of like how they used to make the horror part of horror movies take place an hour into it except with action and the greater good

i don't know if he wrote run fatboy. it was ok but i think without his buddies he kind of got up in himself and screwed the pooch idk

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ol qwerty bastard posted:

hot fuzz is one of the greatest movies ever made

if i were locked in a room for the rest of my life and could only have two movies to watch, one of them would be hot fuzz

(the other would be the fifth element)

(if i got a third it would probably be blade runner)

fixed and same

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Fifth Element
Blade Runner
Baron Munchausen

i think would end up being the last three tbqh. but i don't know how long itd last. if i could have the soundtracks as well then i might be ok

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

chumpchous posted:

pretty stoked for the new cosmos. neil degrasse tyson is so good that even reddit hasn't ruined him for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBTd9--9VMI

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

a terrible combination of large coffee + 5 hour energy + nothing happening at work

gotta type fast

check yourself before you heart palpitate yourself

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i would pay 15 bux to watch charlie day talk about most anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sgu gets a lot of hate but the few episodes i saw were pretty good. i think if they had given the show a different universe to exist in then it might have found a pretty respectable following. the way i understand it most sg fans were pissed because there is almost never a sg involved in any episodes and the whole show is more a drama than a sci fi adventure. i get that, but they've really spent a lot of energy that fat nerds don't have to drag the shows name through the mud.

if i'm wrong, sorry i never really watched it, i only watched like the first 3 seasons of sg:a

• Locked thread