Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Action Jacktion posted:

That was the one with the "comedy" subplot about one group of aliens trying to eat another, and in the end it's implied they've killed one and are trying to cook it, and the Enterprise crew simply roll their eyes and act annoyed.

its a little contrived i guess but it's season 1 tng, poo poo was basically written as if it was TOS

plus the bit with the lizard people demanding to be upwind from the dog people was hilarious, patrick stewart looks horrified at first but gives them all a respectful nod as they file out of the transporter room

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

THC posted:

they really should have made a TNG movie where the main antagonist was Q. john de lancie owns too much

'nemesis' my rear end

i like to think that i had a gigantic brain tumor that formed around the time first contact came out, and it caused horrible star trek hallucinations about a woman captain and something about archers or something that mysteriously disappeared when the reboot movie premiered

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Lamont Cranston posted:

yesterday's enterprise

this episode sucks and i hate it

denise crosby is a terrible actress and any episode thats basically "heh.. remember tasha yar :smug:" is uniformly awful

except for the one with spock

spock owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the part where data just stares at picard when he's trying to sleep is p. funny

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sneaking Mission posted:

what was the one where troi was raped by the space creature and all the men in the bridge crew kept making her describe it and then telling her to have an abortion?

Star Trek The Next Generation: A XXX Parody

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

memory alpha owns

only thing i don't like about it is they keep referencing poo poo in the TOS articles about how the crew hated eachother and poo poo and giving references, but then when you click on whatever article they link to it has almost nothing about it. i wanna read about how nimoy was a drunk and poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lindsay lohan is also apparently a human-dolphin hybrid (with flippertentacles)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao kirk you posted the wrong picture of janeway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kirk posted:

wtf

i figured the boobs liked lovely cause the guy was a crappy artist. apparently the guy has a fetish for anatomically impossible titties. anime ftw.

that thing behind janeway isnt her hair its a back brace

~from the future~

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

ps

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Amethyst posted:

that still looks good, but I'm still wary.

The vfx guys in the 90s were targeting standard def television for output. There are surely a whole lot of flaws that standard def covered up. Are they going to clear out those exposed flaws? Are they going to remove matte lines and replace practical star-field effects with digital ones? How about things like standard def light diffusion on the nacelles, are they going to replace that with digital high def light diffusion effects?

it's just like the star wars special editions and to me, going overboard with that poo poo takes away from the original team's work

they very obviously just composited star fields in (at least on the earlier seasons), you can even see the loving greenscreen reflected on the taupe 80s furniture (along with the foregrounds being noticeably lower quality):

also looking back at these whoever's doing this certainly has their loving work cut out for them, this might possibly be literally the darkest show ever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

the lighting director in season 1 was a giant dumbass who did things like put black cardboard over the shiny reflective panels on the back of the bridge because the hard lighting was so bright you could see studio poo poo reflected on them

its worse than that i think, poo poo looks hosed up until the 4th season or so

i was playing around with mencoder a few months ago and tried to brighten them up a bit and do some color correction, and while it worked pretty well every scene with data in it was hilarious because the gamma blew out his face so it looked like a walking spotlight

idk though right around when the lighting got better so did the video quality, the later seasons look p good for old SD

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah they got a new lighting director sometime around season 3 or so and better panavision cameras

granted theres a pretty huge gap in time between these its still p. lol

when i was scrubbing through encounter at farpoint for the first screencap i realized the first season was not only dark as poo poo but also really, really red for some reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Amethyst posted:

yeah but don't you think flaws like this actually add to it, make it more interesting? Steven Speilberg said this in an interview and I agree:

i think if they can make the newer effects just look like higher res versions of the old ones (the TNG intro comparison a few pages back is a good example of this) it doesn't really detract too much from the way it was originally presented

the TOS remasters are a good example of this too in that everything but the new effects looks great, the CGI enterprise looks terrible even in comparison to the original effects (thankfully they included those on the blu-rays too)

i just got done watching the new remaster of empire strikes back actually and the old effects still look really great, and i think the CGI yoda looks enough like the puppet that it's not totally offensive. i also had the misfortune of looking through episode 2 to see what that CGI yoda looked like and it actually looks really horrible in comparison. if george lucas were to completely re-do some effects shots he should redo the new trilogy because that shits not holding up well at all, not to mention that nobody would really give a gently caress since the movies themselves are terrible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I didn't even know about the TOS remaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l44Xrsgonw
They seem to have drained all of the 1960s bright rainbow spectrum colour from the effects.

EDIT: granted I'm probably being unfair since this is some random dude transfering from hi-def to 240p youtube

lmao the difference isnt anywhere near as subtle as that makes it look

granted the cgi enterprise is clearer and sharper and whatever but it just looks cartoony and out of place

i'm still impressed by the planets and poo poo they made for the original effects shots though, poo poo still looks pretty believable even if it is kinda fuzzy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Amethyst posted:

what's that? The warhammer magazine?

the nickname everyone seems to give him once they've seen his penis

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yea. the bit with the orange was especially bad.

and now that they're on the future earth they have all these forced nicknames and acronyms for poo poo. the kids sneaking out to go drink isnt just sneaking out its OTG cause they're going OVER THE GATE!!!

also the writers suffer from one of the same problems enterprise had where the main character is better at everyone elses jobs. he finds the claw in the body instead of the doctor. he figures out why the dinos are attacking instead of the dino expert.

the same thing happened in enterprise where archer was just the best at everything and was always right in the end.

i saw like the first two episodes of enterprise when they first aired like 10 years ago and never watched it again, how did they explain away all of the continuity poo poo? like i've read in passing on memory alpha and poo poo that they had borg and ferengi and whatever on enterprise even though theres entire episodes in the other series' about meeting them for the first time ever

and if the answer is "welp just watch enterprise" gently caress you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LP97S posted:

That was the best the cover artist could come with for Mirror-Picard?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

tng had yesterdays enterprise which was alternate universey and ownage

yesterdays enterprise is a horrible episode that leans far too heavily on two of the worst characters in the series

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but beverly crusher barely said anything and deanna troi wasn't even in it :confused:

its got guinan and denise crosby who is quite possibly the worst actress ever to be a regular on a tv series

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

duTrieux posted:

guinan and troi really should have been the same character

troi doesnt bother me as much because she's sort of the bubbly airhead that got to be on senior staff or whatever by having a weird ability and being nice to people and poo poo in the midst of all these super smart engineers and tacticians and whatnot, she's kinda just like a regular person (also: titties)

guinan on the other hand has p much no redeeming characteristics other than "shes mysterious" even though the writers didnt seem to realize that having a character never say or explain or do anything of consequence doesnt make them mysterious, even though we're supposed to hold this person in high regard it just makes them completely loving useless. i wouldn't have minded the character as much if she had some flaws a la troi being an idiot but instead they just tacked on more stupid loving supposedly mysterious retarded bullshit

they could have been the same character i guess, but when troi says "i dont know i cant really explain sorry" you figure its just because she's dumb and everyone basically glosses over it, when guinan goes "oh i dont know blah blah blu" everyone goes "whoa holy poo poo we gotta figure this one out guys all stop"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

january jones is waaaaay worse than denise crosby ever was. like jones may be fuckin' hot, but that's literally all she's got going for her.

denise crosby has two ways of delivering lines: YELLING ALL THE TIME TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW SHE'S SURE or completely flat with emphasis on the wrong words

january jones is pretty terrible too though i'll give you that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 7, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Nevergirls posted:

23rd century snipe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

z0r you know you can just buy a namechange instead of a new account right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

z0rence of a labia posted:

p nice...

added to names.xls

remember the great jiggling of the summer of 2010?

yeah... that was me. I jiggled the poo poo out of ~25 posters.

i had to use three credit cards because after awhile each flagged for suspicious activity... lol

:ohdear:

suspicious activity? that's a jigglin'

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

locutus of z0rg

or since the jigglin'

z0r-profit z0rganization

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

I'm over 40 and gently caress that show

way to out-rotor rotor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

so i'm watching ds9 for the first time and trying to get through all the episodes in order

i'm like halfway through season 2 right now and its basically been ":rolleyes: Space Jews" so far, when does this get good b/c its boring the poo poo out of me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FMguru posted:

more like deep sleep nine, am i right?

bad news - the first three seasons are like this. literally GUNSMOKE in space. then voyager started up and all the executives with their bad ideas went over there and left ds9's writers alone, and only then did it get good.

seriously its been "Space Jews hate the Space Germans and dont trust the Space Americans, also quark does something whacky and kinda hosed up but theres no consequences. oh also, something about a wormhole"

i mean the characters are alright and everything and none of the actors are really terrible but ugh god i get it there was a Space Holocaust, please do something interesting now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sticky wizard posted:

im doing the same thing right now but only about halfway through the first season. i thought the tosk episode was dece

theres a couple here and there that i actually liked quite a bit but it becomes kinda obvious that those were actually rejected tng scripts once they start doing things clearly written specifically for this show

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

well i went through the (admittedly not much) trouble of "getting" all of them and wrote a script to tag everything + convert it to an ios-friendly format + import into itunes for streaming so i think i'm gonna watch them in order (either that or get pissed off enough to skip like 2 seasons)

the downside of this is that since everything is properly tagged with descriptions and whatnot i know when i'm about to watch something completely horrible (like "dr. bashir bangs a cripple" or w/e) :ughh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Episode 3 has Garak's first appearance and he's the only secondary character who is so good to start that he doesn't change the rest of the series because he doesn't have to.

yeah from what i've seen so far garak owns

although in episodes with him (and obviously its meant to be this way since it'd be over in about 30 seconds) dr. bashir is frustratingly dense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

It should be a cooking show called "On the Q" starring John de Lancie

special guest Gowron with an eye-popping dessert recipe your man is sure to love: green-blooded vulcan gingerbread men

perhaps today is a good day to dye

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Radiocarbon posted:

i did exactly this and i couldn't agree more. season 3 is still a bit soporific, but when worf joins the show in season 4, DS9 stops being a space soap opera about space jews.

re: this

i just got through season 3 (thanks for reminding me, thread :argh:) and there were a few episodes in season 3 that i really hated, namely basically anything with the bajorans: they just kinda threw them in the series and besides what like two ro laren episodes on TNG they've given us p much no reason to care about them beyond "bbbut they're suffering!" and then pile on a bunch of lovely religious poo poo

i mean i know why they did that to flesh out their race but i honestly couldnt care less about Kai's Power Tools or whatever or Minister Rhinitis Ridges and his prophecies

way of the warrior was badass though and i'm hoping its more like that and less "bbbut the bajorans!!!" from here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LP97S posted:

But what about the episode where it's literally post-biological warfare Earth with the Yangs and the Khoms?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

can someone explain the context of this for the people who watch good scifi

he trying to sex w/ big titty alien and the smaller titty alien tryin to cockblock him

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah i cut a lot out of it to get the filesize down but the smaller-but-completely-adequate-titty alien is being a bitch basically

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

and slowly going mad of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VA8N4OBvqo

close enough i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Geordi and Data become trapped on the holodeck after trying to create Ben Franklin. Riker oversleeps and is tattled on by Troi; he later attempts to transport a fart directly into her office's walls.

• Locked thread